Announcing the EU World Boxing Championship 2009, sponsored by First Planet Company

Oleg

Mutated
Oleg Oleg McMullery
I’m pleased to announce that this year’s EU World Boxing Championship (EUWBC) will be going ahead, starting in September :)

The big news is that this time round the tournament will be officially sponsored by First Planet Company who have agreed to provide prizes – thank you very much to the guys and girls at FPC for your support!

I know you’re wondering what the prizes are going to be… but I’m not saying yet :D

However I can tell you that they are very nice prizes indeed and I highly recommend that you get practising to improve your chances of winning!

The event is also sponsored by Globex Designs, Inc. who will once again be creating unique personalised forum signatures for the winners and providing some graphical assistance.

EntropiaForum have also agreed to sponsor the event with some EF premium memberships as prizes for the winners and runners-up.

Thank you to Globex and 711 for their help and contribution!

I’m hoping to be able to announce some further sponsors and partners soon, including details on media coverage of the competition.

Schedule

Subject to change, but it’s looking something like this :)

Registration for the tournament will open in mid/late August, when I’ll also post the official rules and other information (and yes, reveal what those prizes are!). Registration will be open for approximately 3 weeks, leading up to 12 September when I will host the opening party and first round draw.

Matches will begin on 19 September.

What’s New

Following last year’s tournament I’ll be making a few changes based on the experience and feedback from the participants.

Final details on the rules etc will be posted in mid/late August, but here are a few things to expect:

• Weight divisions will be reorganised to divide participants more equally/fairly across each category;
  • Registration system will be improved to reduce no-shows;
  • The whole tournament is being held later in the year to improve participant availability;
  • Less lenience will be shown to people not showing up for matches or otherwise wasting the time of judges and other participants;
  • Venue will be changed to reduce lag;
  • Match schedule will be more intensive to reduce the overall length of the tournament;
  • Excessive jumping will be disallowed.

I hope we’ll see lots of people taking part. Stay tuned for more news as it develops!

WOOT time to start practicing on Society members! :yay: :boxer:

This is really awesome Oleg ... I'm glad to see that FPC has gotten behind this cool event to support the effort. :yay: I'm looking forward to the updates as they unfold. :D

Nice mate :)
I'll try to get my ass back in game and sparr a little with you ;)

My avatar was made for this! :boxer:

As an avid boxing fan, I am totally competing... even though I currently have 0 skill in powerfists. :boxer: Time to get some I think.

Oh sounds cool :)

I think you will a have a ton more participants this year :wtg:

Bump for the day :)

:boxer:

Great event Oleg!!! Looking forward to all the details.

is there a tt fist category ???

For those who want more info on the rules I suggest clicking the link to last year's event in the first post. There will not be a substantial difference in the rules this year, other than the changes I already listed.

It's a great event, has it been a year already? :eek:

GL with it, great job on getting FPC behind it, and now you have me behind too :D

Join boxing event!!

Click my sig :silly2::silly2::silly2:

Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee!

Looking forward to this event! I had better start practicing... :boxer:

Bump for everyone skiving off work on a Friday afternoon :D

Wha-hey! Maybe I can win a round this year. :yay:

Sign me up. Ding, ding.

I think you need to elaborate on "excessive jumping". Is 5 jumps excessive? 10? I only ask because I've done a boxing match before and got creamed (by someone with much less skills) because they were flying all around the ring. It's a nice tactic, but how are you going to police it?

I'll be there ;)

I think you need to elaborate on "excessive jumping". Is 5 jumps excessive? 10? I only ask because I've done a boxing match before and got creamed (by someone with much less skills) because they were flying all around the ring. It's a nice tactic, but how are you going to police it?

It'll be down to the decision of the judge, which in most or all cases will be me. If I think you're jumping too much, I'll warn you. If you continue despite the warning, you'll forfeit the round.

:yay: i'm in ... for a bout 2 seconds before someone wipes the floor with me :laugh:

kudos to you oleg for what i am sure will be a great event :wtg:

It'll be down to the decision of the judge, which in most or all cases will be me. If I think you're jumping too much, I'll warn you. If you continue despite the warning, you'll forfeit the round.

Makes sense. I think this will change strategies quite a bit, like maybe I'd actually have a chance :D. I just might consider this event :).

I'm definatly in. ! question thou class are on health not skill lvl will this not advantage low health high skilled brawlers (not the that it matters)

So... Oleg... it would be TT knuckles only, for everyone other then the Heavyweights?

Guess I have to participate, to defend my title, at least. :boxer:

*points to sig. ;)

Oleg, how about making it easy and totally ban jumping?
And count me in!

Gypsy

I'm definatly in. ! question thou class are on health not skill lvl will this not advantage low health high skilled brawlers (not the that it matters)

Yes, health only. Having good Brawler professions will help, that's why you need to start training :)

So... Oleg... it would be TT knuckles only, for everyone other then the Heavyweights?

Correct - though depending on how the health divisions work out I may consider using something bigger for the Middleweights too so that it doesn't take too long to get a knockout. I suspect that won't happen though.

Oleg, how about making it easy and totally ban jumping?
And count me in!

Gypsy

A well-timed jump is all part of a good fighter's repertoire :) Good technique is as important as good skills. It just gets a bit silly, not to mention boring, when someone is jumping around all the time instead of fighting.

Back