Question: Anyone else getting Catalyst crashes, whitescreens, and freezes with AMD HD9800 series cards ?

AJack10600

Elite
Society
SPU ¦ Smart Professionals United
Larios Semai Niva
Having an annoying problem since I got a Sapphire HD5870 Vapor-X card... Seems that EU does not like that catalyst at all. It keeps crashing after a while of playing and at some point just freezes my screen.

I only ever get that problem in EU. I play any other game with no problem at max settings...

I guess just another EU bug I have to live with ...

Last edited:
catalyst?

Hi

I use several Ati/AMD cards with Catalyst drivers and they work absolutely great with EU. I'm absolutely sure that many in EU use these.
I suppose u have a HD6870, and not a 9-series?

I have the HD5850, never had any problems with it. The one you have shouldn't either.
What kind of crashed do u get exactly?
The first thing I would try in your case is :

1 - monitor the temperature of the card
2 - try to play with 1 bar of ram, then with the second, or eventually thrid one. This is the safest way to determine ram problems.

another cause of disconnections...
Are you on a wireless connection by any chance? Usually those suck...

And what other games r u talking about? I mean... If you play ND4SPD Hot Persuit 2 on max settings that doesn't stress you gfx card...

cheers
Naomi

Last edited:
Ati HD 5770 Vapor-X user here, no problems to report with Catalyst 10.9.

Which driver version are you using ? Also what idle / load temperatures is it reporting ?

I use a 4870 ATI.

While its rated to run on very high settings, I find that doing so will result in driver crashes over and over, particularly in certain areas in EU.

Temperature was not an issue, and all drivers up to date.

Changing the 'shading' setting in ingame Options to Medium though stopped that. All the rest are still at Very High.

Sorry it's a 5970.. typo...

I will try to reduce the Shading option.

The card is running at 70C but for Graphix that should be kind a normal...

I can not imagine it's a Ram problem cos I play CoD Black Ops at high settings no problemo....

Back