Are You Normal?

dj.

Marauder
Society
Freelancer
Dejay dj Jaguar
Have you ever wondered if you are like the next guy, ever wondered if you are NORMAL?

Do we all have some degree of autism, or O.C.D?

What is normal anyway?

I want to know what is wrong with me, and if anyone esle does it (probably not lol)

Im shit at maths (maybe)

But all day long I count just about anything, angles, shapes, windows.. well anything really :ahh:

It gets worse, I then multiply by 4, 8, 12, 16, 20.. sometimes my mind is swamped by figures in their thousands :eek:

It gets even worse;

Then I divide by 4, 8, 12 etc.

Sometimes if figures do not add up to an even number, I keep multiplying/dividing, untill they do.

I see angles, shapes, a pattern in everything, absolutely maths everywhere I look, even in spelling, syllables, sentences... anything, the room I sit in, a tree, a car light, a cake... lol anything!!! :laugh:

So tell me.. whats that all about? Because Ive no idea :scratch2:

Maybe I just hate to be bored?

Honestly, fuc$ knows.

I love numbers though.. but Ive no idea why :laugh:

Anyone else do this, or anything odd?

Just me then!! :laugh:

Right fine! Im happy Counting numbers all day then!! :laugh:

I am LOL :cool:

Numbers rock.

And who wants to be normal anyway?

More fun....

(I'm off to bed now so I'll check back for how many windows there were in the morning) :)

dj... might be a good idea to get a movie out called 'Pi' :)

Just don't do the final scene on yourself please heheh

More fun....

(I'm off to bed now so I'll check back for how many windows there were in the morning) :)

LOL thats awesome, but there's some windows missing in pic..k, I can add them, bonus challenge, but not hard :cool:

Some counting things, some strange things too. I can't stand to see two light switches in the wrong position. IE if the lights are both off and one is up and one is down I have to fix them. I have tried to get past that one, but found myself laying in bed each time I tried and had to get up to fix it. - bothers me mostly in the evening for some reason.

My wife turns them that way on purpose LOL

Counting ceiling tiles, certain things along the road when I am driving etc. Sometimes doing multipication of things in my head for reasons I do not know. Not near as much with you with the counting, but other things that I just won't mention right now :)

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you just hate to be bored. My husband once came home from work to find me with the contents of my button jar spread out on the kitchen table. I was sorting them by colors and sizes and stuff. I think there's definitely an element of OCD involved when you just have to count and sort things. But unless it's taking over your life then so what? Like Jimmy B says, who wants to be normal? Normal sits right on the 50th percentile. We can do better than that! :D

Deleted a mental post about that building having 31 windows across and 18 down, mulipy that, still sounds like a crossword LOL, but then the final figure gets x 4.

LOL @ Johned's wife.. good for her LOL :laugh:

Thanx BriannaH :thumbup:

Yeah, I do a lot of that when trying to kill time at work.
Another one is staring at ceiling patterns, I have that problem too... the most odd circular overlapping bumpy-textured pattern on my office ceiling I just CAN'T figure out.

One I have that hasnt been mentioned yet is messing with words. If you say anything enough times you start to wonder who the hell decided to put the sounds together that way and why its tied to that meaning. Sure, its all got some roots from one language or another - but who decided up those languages?

Green sounds like mean... maybe some asshole caveman wore a grass coat?

Anyways, I probably sound insane ;) Omega out!

Are you related to this guy?

thecount.jpg

If so you may be a vampire.

Hey dj,

Great idea for a thread. Now we can all come here and confess to our OCDness!

I think there is an element of what you're saying you do that if left unchecked, could be called "obsessive" and "disorder", but I prefer to believe that it's a sign of a healthy mind and a healthy attitude to life. Playing with numbers in your head is good for your long term synaptic flexibility (ability to change instead of getting set in your ways). I'm not sure if that's an official term, I'm not a qualified scientist (but I AM a hack!) but I know what I mean.

If you want something else to occupy your mind, I recommend looking into hypermiling. Google it if you like. It's the practice of trying to drive your car as economically as possible, and it's interesting to discovery all the little things you can do to shave percentages off the amount of fuel you use in your car. I'm addicted to it now, to the extent that I change my driving routes sometimes in favour of minimal fuel use over saving time. It even makes you start thinking about being as economical a human being as possible - the way you use your body, the way you use your time, the way you use your money etc.

Anyway, this thread isn't about hypermiling or environmental sustainability, it's about being OCD.

My name's Tim and I like to get obsessed about silly little mathematical things. It makes me feel good.

Green sounds like mean... maybe some asshole caveman wore a grass coat?

Anyways, I probably sound insane ;) Omega out!

Green = 5
Mean= 4

5x 4 = 20

All is good there, the guy in the grass skirt was right! :laugh:

Even if it was 5+4=9 you could x 4 (see how that 4 works again?) = 36

That means 9 wouldnt have to be an odd number.. um sorry lol, I dont like odd numbers lol :laugh:

But Tim, you take away something I want to know, and try to belittle a subject I know nothing about.

But I guess your right, Im not brilliant at maths, like Jimmy maybe, so you put it as " mathematical sillyness"

Great, Im silly, my brain is silly, my maths is silly :rolleyes:

Big surprise there then? :laugh:

I think its better to explore something than to belittle it, or try to laugh at someone, better to not post taking the piss maybe?

What is normal anyway?

Boring :)

I could put a rather extensive list here of mah funny lil habits, but the main one is neatness. Everything on my desk has to be at perfectly square with one another. For example the Wacom tablet on the left of my desk has to line up exactly with the desk corners, the keyboard placed next to it, flush with the edge. The computer tower, exactly lined up with the desk. Everything has its precise place - even mah Gold Card has to be lined up, and the computer cables are tied as neatly as possible. Any rubbish or item out of place simply annoys the hell out of me. >_<

As Johned pointed out, the light switch thing is irritating too. :p

Even if it was 5+4=9 you could x 4 (see how that 4 works again?) = 36

That means 9 wouldnt have to be an odd number.. um sorry lol, I dont like odd numbers lol :laugh:

ya but then 3 + 6 = 9 and you are back where you started. :D

ya but then 3 + 6 = 9 and you are back where you started. :D

I wouldnt go back to where I started, I need an even number remember :cool:

Thanx for posting Arokh :)

But 9 is such a cool number even if it is odd

9*2 = 18 1+8 =9
9*3=27 2+7=9
9*4=36 3+6=9
9*5=45 4+5=9
9*6=54 5+4=9
9*7=63 6+3=9
9*8=72 7+2=9
9*9=81 8+1=9
9*10=90 9+0=9

But Tim, you take away something I want to know, and try to belittle a subject I know nothing about.

But I guess your right, Im not brilliant at maths, like Jimmy maybe, so you put it as " mathematical sillyness"

I think its better to explore something than to belittle it, or try to laugh at someone, better to not post taking the piss maybe?

I don't think he was taking the piss really. I quite like the phrase mathematical sillyness, he's just saying he does arguably pointless maths just for the hell of it because it makes his brain happy. I get that.

Thanks Jimmy, you interpreted me as I had hoped to be interpreted :)

dj,

So sorry that you felt I was belittling or taking the piss - that's not how I meant it at all!

Perhaps my enthusiasm for the idea is so high that it's hard to believe, leading you to conclude that I must have been trying to be sarcastic. lol I wasn't at all.

If there's anyone I was belittling or extracting piss from, it was myself.

Maybe have another read of my post and try to imagine someone at their computer actually enjoying the idea that they're not the only one who gets a little OCD from time to time with numbers :)

I'll even +rep you to show you I'm agreeing with you.

EDIT: "Sorry, you cannot add reputation to this post". *presumes that it's because of the location of the forum*

Last edited:
How sad it would be to be considered 'normal' it would require an inactive mind.

ARe we just talking about habits? :p

I write awseome ripostes in my head. And store them for use later on. breaking numbers down into regular expressions, finding mathematical shortcuts (like 8145=5.1629=(5.1600+29.5)=5.40.40+20.5
or repeating words till they lose their meaning, or finding the classical component in techno, or vice versa...

Now we can all come here and confess to our OCDness!

Hey now, speak for yourself mate!
I don't have OCD as it turns out... I have CDO.:wise:

Its a lot like OCD, only with the letters in the correct order.

Hehe numbers....

I was a sales manager till last october and spent alot of time on the road the last 7 years. Driving that much tends to get boring after a while.

I started multiplying the numbers of the licence plates of the cars in front of me....:scratch2: That cannot be considered normal, can it?

Btw, the letters where asigned their rightful number in the alphabet :rolleyes:

My youngest has been diagnosed with mild autism, and i can guarentee you this - if you had it, it would have been noticed by your parents many years ago....even the mildest, tinyiest autistic tendency is very very obvious to others who spend time in your company, its quite a dissability and major behavioural problems in kids can be a first sign of a very mild form.

Am I normal?

Simple answer...

No :D

Am I normal? I sit in front of a computer, often for hours at a time, and pretend I'm on another planet.

Some weekends when I'm not doing that, I put on funny clothes, grab my bow & arrows, my gluckshaus board, my pavillion and my mead and go play "middle ages" with up to 12,000 friends.

..and then there are the other weekends. :)

"Are you normal?" she asks... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

at the end of every COPS episode here in the states, a ladys voice on the radio in the car says, "your cover is code 3" meaning the back up is on the way with sirens on.....

since the show started in the 80's every time she says that i have to too. like to the point of why am i saying this? but i feel compelled to repeat this phrase.

ps. i hate math :laugh:

:ahh:I get crazy as soon as i think of numbers.. i hate counting because that was one of my akillesheels in school.. :ahh:

Back