Armour Tax Still Justifiable?

Gum Boot

Guardian
Society
Michigan Militia
Gum Gumbi Boot
Hi Guys

after not beingin EU for some time now, i have returned breifly.
I have noticed that EU has become a far more stable platform than what it once was, and i dont tend to have any trouble with lag on any of my computers or the need to constantly relog due to bugs

2.1 GHz 3Gb RAM Nvidia 8400 (vista)
and
2.8 GHz 2Gb RAM Nvidia 5200 (xp)

now, under the initial excuse of MA putting this tax on our armour to reduce lag, can this now still be justified as the stability of the gaming platform has improved.

does anyone agree with this, or do people still have serious trouble with lag, and is this due to your computer not meeting system requirements or a reason that has to do with the actual game?

I look forward to the discussion

Gum

I don`t think it was ever justifiable from the excuse they gave. Purely a revenue generating move in my opinion. If anything it put a slight damper on fashion due to the same thing happening with clothes.

Sometimes things get a bit laggy for me still, it isn't on my end.

I will say though in the short time I've been here it has improved.

If this "tax" results in less lag I vote keep it, but hell I don't use armor so what do I care.

Editted to add:

After further thought, the tax is part of why I don't use armor. If there wasn't a tax MA may actually could have made more revenue off my avatar from combat decay.

Glad it worked out, healing gives skills so no armor means I'm that much a better healer now.

Last edited:
still suffer from lag and that is prabably due to me gfx card as well as the servers, but i never thought the tax was justified from day 1...a delay in putting on armour fine, but a tax? no i think that was just pure revenue raising.

I don`t think it was ever justifiable from the excuse they gave. Purely a revenue generating move in my opinion. If anything it put a slight damper on fashion due to the same thing happening with clothes.

Okay, that's all that needed to be said, this thread can now be locked, printed out, framed and put on the wall.

nope. it would have been a bit better if they'd just been honest about it, and absolute best if they'd left it alone. I can understand cloths (otherwise there was no decay) but we pay plenty of decay already on our armour.

If the quick equip/un-equip really causes that much lag (and it did cause lag when lots of poepl did it at the same time) i think the equip delay alone should be enough. IMO no need for that 1 pec decay, just another income for MA.

For the clothes, i think i get and like the idea about clothes to look worn when not fully repaired. I'm not happy with the costs but that few pecs i donate to MA weekly aren't going to break me.

All a load of bollocks really. The delay, I can live with as a means to reduce lag.

But the equipping fee is just another revenue source for MA and they should bloody admit it :)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I was fairly vocal at the time (some would say over reacted and to be honest I would say so as well now) of the equiping tax introduction but I'm still of the opinion it was not and still not a valid way of stopping the exploit it was supposedly introduced to fix.

They quickly halved the tax and removed it entirely from (L) armors after pressure was applied but with that backtrack they introduced the timer to slow the equiping. At the same time they foot guards were added it became obvious MA was looking for a new revenue stream they could take advantage of rather than being a fix for lag or equiping exploits.

I am one of the few that swore that my avatar would never to wear clothing again and so far I've only broken that in one regard by using two hats one of which is the red beret for the end of the robot war (a little prematurely but then they did have to introduce so much make-up at the time) and two days ago taking the second from storage . The rest of the clothing I own is sitting in my apartment, unused.

i think making an extra option to turn off the "animated" aka moving grass would improve gameplay a lot for ppl running on sucky computers...

i think making an extra option to turn off the "animated" aka moving grass would improve gameplay a lot for ppl running on sucky computers...

grass would be the least of their worries when CE2 finally reaches.

Hi Guys

after not beingin EU for some time now, i have returned breifly.
I have noticed that EU has become a far more stable platform than what it once was, and i dont tend to have any trouble with lag on any of my computers or the need to constantly relog due to bugs

2.1 GHz 3Gb RAM Nvidia 8400 (vista)
and
2.8 GHz 2Gb RAM Nvidia 5200 (xp)

now, under the initial excuse of MA putting this tax on our armour to reduce lag, can this now still be justified as the stability of the gaming platform has improved.

does anyone agree with this, or do people still have serious trouble with lag, and is this due to your computer not meeting system requirements or a reason that has to do with the actual game?

I look forward to the discussion

Gum

Are you reading my support cases? :D

31 Dec 2008 You wrote:
Hello,

you introduced armor decay on putting on an armor piece because of your graphics engine causing lag to other participants.

I do expect this armor decay to be removed when the Cryengine is introduced, since this is a -better- engine and the reason you introduced the decay is invalid.

Is this correct?

Thanks for any useful answer.

Regards.

31 Dec 2008 Entropia Support:
Hi,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately we can not give a satisfactory answer to this as we can not comment on future content or changes.

We wish you a good day in the Entropia Universe and also a Happy New Year!

Kind regards,
Entropia Universe Support

Press O select 'Disable wind' - if it does not improve lag, at least it makes it easier to spot fruit and dung insect animations. :)

I am aware most people would consider it unjustifiable to begin with, i agree it wasn't to begin with and was quite upset and vocal on this forum at the time.

however... this discussion is intended to see if people see if that the "excuse" given by MA at the time the tax was introduced is still at all valid... at all.

if a general concesous accurs that this is no longer valid at any streach, then we can discuss why are we being charged for it.

I dont want people to come to this thread purely to flame MA for introducing it. Its a discussion as to how stable people are finding EU as a platform now.

I'm purely saying i dont tend to have many problems now.

For me lag from MA side is non existant now, any lag I get is simply because of other network users in my house...

In my opinion MA/FPC can now safely and confidently remove the armour & clothing tax, which they allegedly introduced to reduce lag, as there is no longer a problem with lag from MA's side of things...

Cheers, Nobleone :beerchug:

It's justified. why anyone should care about 7pec is beyond me. probably waste 1000 times that just doing some pk fun per day, or 100 times that shooting into the ground.

Last time I checked, EU wasn't for misers.

name one tax that was completely removed in the whole history ;)

Rip Off

I did not buy MA's reason when they started the armour tax, and don't buy it now. Can we spell just another way to squeeze out more money from the players to fill their pockets.

DS:mad:

If lag was really ever a motive they would have made it possible to change plates without taking off armor.

*pulls on fire retardant clothing paying the decay*
In my opinion the introduction of the armour/decay tax had its limited validity at the time. It performed the task it was introduced to do to a certain degree. Then again moreso when it was modified with the timer. The fact that we see it as yet another form of income to MA is, to a certain degree, moot. What was done at the time was likely seen as the best option available. It has done the job and the likelyhood of its removal is quite slim.

Besides, if everything that MA did made sense to us as players, where would be the challenge?

I think people take this thing the wrong way.... yes this tax is direct income to MindArk, however, mindark also induce a deadweight loss and oppertunity cost when they implement this tax.

ie: people may not bother with that last hunt for the day... potential lost revenue there

taxes reduce trade transactions... which equal lost revenue to MA in the form of oppertunity cost, it could be in their best interests to remove the tax if this reduction is significant enough.

I am now asking if the community feels it has done its job and MA can now stop reducning hunting transactions with the tax and allow it to equilibriate.

Cheers
Gum

santa_suit_correct_sze.jpg

^^ nuff said

I am now asking if the community feels it has done its job and MA can now stop reducning hunting transactions with the tax and allow it to equilibriate.

It never did its job to begin with thats why the timer was introduced it only annoyed people.

I'm expecting too see it removed when I see hogglo flying over TI.

Back