Australia and loot boxes

Msturlese

Stalker
Society
Dirty Dingos
Marco Killy Stur
first of all the link from MMOBomb website

Then the news:

Australian MP Calls Loot Boxes The “Definition Of Gambling,” Will Introduce Bill In August​

and a relevant paragraph:
planning to introduce a bill next month that will ban the sales of loot boxes to minors in that country.

Despite it is a restriction to underage players, i think this is interesting. Some other nations could consider that it is gambling (and be pissed off due to the fact that the national lottery agency does not take its share of the business)

personally i think that EU Keys are different, due to the fact that all in all you pay 1 USD and receive back 1 USD in uniammo or some goods that can be used in game (well i think that there is an expected marginal loss on useless pet name tags that cant be sold to TT)
the gamble in EU Loot boxes is mainly in the "box value against "box mu value" that is if a player decide to sell boxes and get a fixed markup or open them and gamble to find a better markup inside them

but... let's read the legal definition of the mechanics, that is the most interesting part:

pay cash for a randomised event that may or may not reward them

the above is gambling for australian govt...... i think that is just the definition of any videogame in RCE that allow a randomizer to decide a loot ......well.. PEGI 18 for EU....

The whole world is going this way, in small steps like the proverbial boiling frog. All the little freedoms are on the way down the pipes. Whatcha gonna do about it...

Well its fine since most of EU players are 18+.

jeez...they need to difference between the games who have boxes and the boxes themselves....entropia and strongboxes are in no way comparable to boxes from other games ....(n)

Put the rings in the loot window , In Sweden boxes has never been allowed , fair ?

Put the rings in the loot window , In Sweden boxes has never been allowed , fair ?
Thats why they made keys craftable, you can loot boxes and craft keys so swedish players can open them.

I think the boxes themselves will be fine because what is rewarded is always 10tt worth of stuff. I would be more concerned about the game in general but I trust mindarks legal team to keep this just enough of a “skills based game” to keep technically unassociated with that naughty G word.

I think the boxes themselves will be fine because what is rewarded is always 10tt worth of stuff.
This logic failed in all the countries where it is already outlawed. They either don't get it, are on a power trip, or both.

I just "travel" to another country and buy the boxes and keys there 😉

can not be gambling when there are ways to know how to get a ring?
bandit_896770.gif

Back