Bad rep for Entropia Universe :(

E***Q**** launched with modest expectations from Sony on March 16, 1999 and quickly became successful. By the end of the year, it had surpassed competitor U**** O***** in number of subscriptions.

;)

Dex :cool:

By the end of the year :p, but ultima was still way better :), man i miss that game =/

By the end of the year :p, but ultima was still way better :), man i miss that game =/

Yeah It by far had the better game mechanics but that top down 'God-View" was the killer. The New Kid with its first person 3D view and GASP Dark Elves rolled over poor Ull-tee and that was that.

BTW For the Record, Brad McQuaid was a bonafide:

horse_s_ass.jpg

I'm just saying...​

It really doesn't matter what is said about EU on gaming sites no matter how negative it is.
I read all the negative reviews years ago and decided to try it anyway. I figured I had nothing to lose if I went in with my eyes wide open. Many others do the same I'm sure. PE/EU/whatever always had negative press yet people still come to give it a shot. It's in our nature.
However in the end because of the nature of EU it will only ever retain a tiny percent of the people who try it for any length of time.
And that is because in order to stay here you have to be rich, stubborn, stupid, masochistic or just damn lucky.
Unfortunately I'm not rich or damn lucky. :laugh:

Marco was responsible of MA PR since last week. Now is CEO of Planet Calypso. U can imagine the future?

i liked the 3rd person view it set for good house pvp those were the good old days, then EA had to be a douche like always and screw up one of the greatest games in history =P and Richards lost his touch for gaming =/

Marco was responsible of MA PR since last week. Now is CEO of Planet Calypso. U can imagine the future?

I can and its looking verrrrrrrrrrrrry grim =/ on our side atleast hes going to be making bank.

And that is because in order to stay here you have to be rich, stubborn, stupid, masochistic or just damn lucky.
Unfortunately I'm not rich or damn lucky. :laugh:

Hmmm... stubborn, stupid, masochistic and a bit lucky. Wait, in that order? 4 out of 5, not bad. I think I can stay in EU. :yay:

Now about the topic, I have the feeling 95% of those comments come from people who are stuck in the traditional MMOG mindset (And the other 5% come from frustrated EU veterans), and EU is NOT a traditional MMOG. Yeah, I did read the comments before I joined. Yeah, I was aware this game was the way it was. And that's exactly why I'm still around.

Hmmm... stubborn, stupid, masochistic and a bit lucky. Wait, in that order? 4 out of 5, not bad. I think I can stay in EU. :yay:

Now about the topic, I have the feeling 95% of those comments come from people who are stuck in the traditional MMOG mindset (And the other 5% come from frustrated EU veterans), and EU is NOT a traditional MMOG. Yeah, I did read the comments before I joined. Yeah, I was aware this game was the way it was. And that's exactly why I'm still around.

haha...wait what there was only 4 lol =P

MA's plan is to within 3-4 years have 150 million registrered accounts, with up to 7 million players active at all times :wise:

(this is what they have said themselves several times)

They are going to have to do some SERIOUS advertising to make this happen. But right now if you say we have about 50K active accounts, that's about a 6% retention rate. 7 mil out of 150 mil is less than 5%. So if they can get that many people to play the game, it might be possible. Hopefully all this money they've been making will go to some hardcore ad spots and then they can up the loots a little bit when they get all these people in :wtg:

I did go and have a read of the thread and posts regarding this thread. Sure there are a few valid reasons, but nothing really that warrants them to say that EU sucks. Oh and by the way they spelled sucks wrongly in green as the heading it states "this game suckes" Anyway here is my reply to that.

Ok here it is your reply from me to - "This Game Sucks"

EU ingame names - Dash Night Shade & Andrina Night Shade yes my wife & I both play EU on a daily basis. EU society name - High Counsel.

So far what I have read in this thread has a few and I mean few valid reasons for people to assume that EU sucks as for the rest of your posts it clearly shows me that your intelligence levels are clearly not up to understanding such a complex game.

Nevertheless, be it what it is weather you wish to see as gambling, business or simply a game...there it is and you if at all a responsible adult could possible make the difficult choice of playing it or NOT....

If by ANY chance you wish for more reality then turn your PC OFF and go outside and PLAY....the world is full of interesting people and concepts ...its such a shame that so many people have the "tall poppy syndrome" I'll explain that to you all. One person makes it then all of a sudden you decide to destroy that person or persons because you failed.. once again you failed.

As far a games is concerned, it provides entertainment and like all entertainment it does actually cost money, as a business I am sure many have chosen to make it just that and they as entrepreneurs can only make such comments based on their own analysis...an as far as gambling...well life can also take you there.

Lets go one step back.....you could waste your time writing about negative things or go and enroll in a spelling course....your comments SUCK there is no E in it. Your feeble reasons stated such as, avatar is slow running, gui to difficult and confusing. If you had half a brain you would ASK players in world for help.

Oh but I must remember that everyone who posted reasons here have been in EU for many years or months and that they all understand it flawlessly. Just because you all failed in EU does not mean that is sucks at all. If you all find EU way to intimidating and difficult please go back to playing donkey kong at any time. The bottom line is if you don't like it leave.. EU is far better off without people like you anyway.

Dash..

Something that i have only recently noticed is that there is a considerable amount of bad rep the game itself is recieving from general gamers. I was browsing one of the largest MMO forums on the net at work just out of curiosity to see if i could find anything on Entropia. I assumed for the most part, many gamers (in particular ones interested into mmo's) weren't aware that it even existed. Turns out that alot of poeple actually have bad opions of the game, thinking its a game purely for "gamblers", "promises of high riches"... and so much more.

Sometimes doesn't matter if other people defame you. In the long run you succeed because new players are curious to check the truth ;)!!

Sometimes doesn't matter if other people defame you. In the long run you succeed because new players are curious to check the truth ;)!!

"There is no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary." ---

Brendan Behan
Irish author & dramatist (1923 - 1964)

:thumbup:

I think the "game" called EU, is not meeting "gaming" expectations - that's why the bad rep.

There is still quite a bit people checking out EU as either a free game, or a sci-fi mmorpg, but what they find, is a ridiculously expensive gallery shooter, with slot machine style return system.

The fact that this game is not a "win win", is also a huge turnoff. Many folks come in, expecting to "get to the top in 2 months, and have some fun".

As for the comments that "people making money have connections with MA" those are just "sour grapes".

P.S. When I started EU (PE), what a disappointment it was, when I realized the true nature of PE.

IMO one of the biggest issues with EU is capacity. They want whole
system to be based on a structure where everyone are playing in same
world, but this is also one of the bigger problems, since there are no way
the system can have 10x of active we have today. So one way to solve
it is to have several serversystems where the serverstrains are spreaded,
but possible to visit from all worlds.

Another issue is that people are way too paranoid over eco instead of fun.
We need things to do in EU that is so fun that fun comes before eco. ;)
If lootsystem is built up by what players spend, and 99% try to go as
cheap as possible, how the heck can loot be anything but bad then in average? ;)

Reactions: Ozi
With the on-coming release of the new planets and well awaited cryengine, i have been anticipating what pospects it will hold for entropia.

Something that i have only recently noticed is that there is a considerable amount of bad rep the game itself is recieving from general gamers. I was browsing one of the largest MMO forums on the net at work just out of curiosity to see if i could find anything on Entropia. I assumed for the most part, many gamers (in particular ones interested into mmo's) weren't aware that it even existed. Turns out that alot of poeple actually have bad opions of the game, thinking its a game purely for "gamblers", "promises of high riches"... and so much more.

With sounds/adds enabled I have to admin that there are a few aspects that are quite annoying and misleading possible expectations. The announcements within the game such as "become rich and successful" are some kind of misinformation IF you are a simple minded individual that really thinks that a "game" will make you rich. I doubt any of the normal players that are not going by "investor" ever became rich in EU except rich in "experience" and new friends.

I was actually quite suprised as 90% of the things that were being said were total lies, "such as the people who earn money from the game are on a contract with MA etc... etc...".

According to the very restricted and "we can not comment on that" policy of MA, this can neither admitted nor denied. So nobody knows what is going on and IF MA employees maybe play to push, regulate and/or control the market etc.

Some of the arguements however from the members there were quite valid tho, one in particular "Its not an afordable game to the normal P2P gamer".

Affordable is a relative term used by people that may have deposited 50 USD/Euro and expected more than they finally received in loot/fun/experience. Imagination and expectation is a relative and very individual aspect hence it doesn't mean anything and the result is disappointment which leads to such comments in such forums. I agree though that EU is a game where money counts and once you got addicted, the only thing that counts is to at least get back what you deposited. I can understand that many people think alike but what I can not understand, that some people are really that simple minded that they think they will make a life from playing a game. And these people probably write such comments in such forums. As I mentioned before, it's all about imagination, expectation, the real result and if YOU can handle it!

Here's the forum: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/forum/614

Join in the fun, and back EU :yay:

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
MA's plan is to within 3-4 years have 150 million registrered accounts, with up to 7 million players active at all times :wise:

(this is what they have said themselves several times)

So 37,500,000 new accounts per year for 4 years sounds "doable" to you, even though they have only been able to get 750,000 over all of the past 5 years?

I think not.

The real problem with this game is that to do anything at a decent level it is so expensive.

I deposit on average $200 per month. Some months that barely makes me through the month. I play maybe 1 or 2 hours a night and most nights "blow" 100 ped on a hunting run - and that will take me less than an hour.

Do the maths - it is too expensive.

So 37,500,000 new accounts per year for 4 years sounds "doable" to you, even though they have only been able to get 750,000 over all of the past 5 years?

I think not.

Yep, heard this one before too.

1999 500K subscribers reached by VERANT/SONY. Considered the High Water Mark. No game could acheive such numbers etc. etc.

Then Came 2004 and bango that record fell so fast it would make your head spin. Eventually THAT GAME had over 20 times the subscribers thought to be the peak of MMORG Subscriptions. And that was a game with ONE client base (players of a certain company' regular stand alone games)

Now we have a game that is not a one trick pony but it is adding content from all those who wish to join in from the POP-Culture world with Movie themes and Popular product lines.

And you think there isn't a chance to beat out THAT GAME with the record now?

You think When the first major world goes live like PEPSI World or NIKE world or ALIEN vs PREDATOR world there won't be a few more people interested? Being they have to pay not one RED cent to download the game? "THAT GAME" which broke the record cost 50 BUCKS to BUY,,, THEN you had to pay a monthly fee.

I Bet if they totally flug-up the launches of these worlds and the content is nothing more the a chat room with 3D Avatars on most planets it will still DWARF "that games" subscription numbers.

If however they actually do it up right....

well....

;)

Reactions: Ozi
The worst part with this is that in my eyes MA and their reps adds 2 this bad wiew on EU themselves by their lack of communication with us players, the total lies they have been spreading in media especially last year about
1. Existing "working" Cashcards that we players was supposed 2 have access to.
2. Wellters BIG lie in Swedish newsarticles in Aug 2007 where he claimed that the "average" player witdrew 20 K peds MONTHLY with the nonexisting cashcard.
3. Promises about Cryengines release first it was spring 2008 then during summer they said later this summer even later on August 2008. Now im so tired of their promises so i havent even noticed if they made any NEW promises.
ALL of this behaviour is and has been REALLY bad PR 4 EU. I know of a bunch of players who started after NO.2 and quit as fast as they started cause didnt take them 2 loong 2 figure out that this "monthly income" was pure BS.
Ive been working with sales since 1976 and first thing ive learned was IF u want 2 be succesful as a salesrep. DONT FFS DONT spread BS promises u cant fullfil.
Its quite obvious that NONE of MAs frontfaces NEVER attended a sales course/class.
I belive that everything mentioned above has been hurting EU more then anything. And the sad part is that MAs representatives doesnt seem 2 learn from their own misstakes.
EU COULD be a fantastic game IF there was more/better communication with the players and IF MA reps at least could be honest.

just a short statement from me.
nr. 2 was misunderstood from most of the players afaik. i think it was mentioned that the average player earns 20k peds in real life and not in the game.

and nr.3 is not so dramatic. think of hl2 some years ago or the duke and of course the egg! :launcher:

No idea about the fuzz, because its quite obvious that Entropia gets bad reps when compared to normal MMOs that are out there. And I don't think its something bad really, because the reasons to play or not to play Entropia are different from other MMOs.

Take our Armors for example. Now we have tons of different Armors, right? Do we have really that much?

Basically its just one set with Helmet, the other with Face Mask in different colors. (I'll leave the stats aside, you get the point.) The Armor sets having a real unique look (Supremacy etc.) are not available to the average Joe due to mysterious droprates, insane marketvalues etc. Compare it to any armorusing MMO and it makes EU look real bad. Don't think posting screenshots from other games is allowed, but anyone into MMOs know what I mean.

Same for weapons.

Then what about teammechanics? Buffs, Heals etc.? Non existent. (If you don't know what a buff is, you are not supposed to be reading this :D).

Now don't get me wrong, I like EU very much, but I think its quite obvious that it cannot be compared to other MMOs. It would lose in every respect. At least they work on the cryengine grafx, so that would be a plus in the future, though it doesn't take away the wallmart all-for-one look. But who knows?

If you play MMOs for MMO reasons, like kickazz looking shiznit armor, weapons, evil bigboss mob raids then it is quite understandable that you don't like Entropia. Its quite obvious I think. Let alone the monthly costs, with many free MMOs out there and the average 15 bucks a month fee.

And pardon me, if someone saying he is playing EU for the good looking grafx, I would reply "Ok, get your glasses fixed and type MMO into google, ffs...".

The only reason to play EU is so obvious people are ashamed to admit. Its the chance of the big hit, nothing else. Other reasons come with the gameplay, community, success, whatever you make out of it and stay.

Personally I started EU with this reason, playing a free game and maybe making some extra money..."who knows".

I am staying because I am a grinder sort of and endless skill-limits is my doom...:D

The real problem with this game is that to do anything at a decent level it is so expensive.

I deposit on average $200 per month. Some months that barely makes me through the month. I play maybe 1 or 2 hours a night and most nights "blow" 100 ped on a hunting run - and that will take me less than an hour.

Do the maths - it is too expensive.

This game is as expensive as you want it to be. It only becomes expensive when faced with the option to grind or depo most people jump ship on the grinding and take the easy (ped relief) way out. We are all so desperate to become uber that what you are actually spending becomes second priority. Then in 2-3 months you look at what you have lost and think "oh fuck" better write a thread on EF and tell everyone about how MA have me locked in a basement and are physically making me deposit my money without thought :rolleyes:
I've read countless threads about people graduating without depositting or making a small turn over. The adverstising isn't wrong its the fact we expect far to much from a game that was never going to hand you cash openly and thanking you for playing so enthusiastically!!!

Its people like this (not aimed at you gwit) who give the game bad PA

I lose money consistantly do I care? No....Why? Because I play within my means
:wtg:

Let the whiners who don't play EU whine all they want.
Let the griefers who don't play EU trash it all they want.

When we soon will be rocking it out with CE2 and having fun
they will want to see for them selves what the fuzz is about.
That's the day when we all will be getting served freshly
squeezed orange juice in Port Atlantis.

Yep, heard this one before too.

1999 500K subscribers reached by VERANT/SONY. Considered the High Water Mark. No game could acheive such numbers etc. etc.

Then Came 2004 and bango that record fell so fast it would make your head spin. Eventually THAT GAME had over 20 times the subscribers thought to be the peak of MMORG Subscriptions. And that was a game with ONE client base (players of a certain company' regular stand alone games)

Now we have a game that is not a one trick pony but it is adding content from all those who wish to join in from the POP-Culture world with Movie themes and Popular product lines.

You think When the first major world goes live like PEPSI World or NIKE world or ALIEN vs PREDATOR world there won't be a few more people interested? Being they have to pay not one RED cent to download the game? "THAT GAME" which broke the record cost 50 BUCKS to BUY,,, THEN you had to pay a monthly fee.

I Bet if they totally flug-up the launches of these worlds and the content is nothing more the a chat room with 3D Avatars on most planets it will still DWARF "that games" subscription numbers.

If however they actually do it up right....

well....

;)

Yea I guess you could be right, maybe somewhere you can increase your accounts by 20,000% :eek: in five years. I just dont think it can be done on earth by 2013. :laugh:

There is some very relevant arguments in this thread on both sides.

Essentially it boils down to two basic facts.

1. EU is unique as a MMO in the world today for many reasons and as such can not be compared to say WoW.

2. It is designed as a platform for most players to lose most of the time as the business makes money from ped burn (read as decay, ammo etc - anything that burns peds). As such it runs the risk of losing players to other business platforms that rely instead on large player bases that pay a nominal monthly fee. We all know players who have made the migration.

I love the game and the feel. Having said that I have often played expensively. Changes IRL have meant that I quite simply choose to not play EU atm much.

I will say that recently I tried to withdraw 11K peds and that was not a positive experience. Long story short I did a small 1K ped as a test, all went well. Replicated with 11K and they stopped the withdrawal as the bank account and game account name was different. The bank is a joint account with my wife. Well it was OK 1st time but not when making a big withdrawl. They then charged me some 1500 ped fees and left money ingame.

Not happy.

They are going to have to do some SERIOUS advertising to make this happen. But right now if you say we have about 50K active accounts, that's about a 6% retention rate. 7 mil out of 150 mil is less than 5%. So if they can get that many people to play the game, it might be possible. Hopefully all this money they've been making will go to some hardcore ad spots and then they can up the loots a little bit when they get all these people in :wtg:

well they didn't say 7 million active players... they said 7 million players online at all times :wise:

I think the "game" called EU, is not meeting "gaming" expectations - that's why the bad rep.

Summarized perfectly right there. It's very easy to confuse this with a normal MMORPG because of the "gaming" elements that it has. But you look at a "game" like that other RCE world and it doesn't seem to get as bad of press as far as I can tell. But it's because people understand that it isn't really a "game" and isn't marketed as such. Where things break down is that EU has those gaming elements built in, and people get confused on just what our universe is.

The things I see MA doing right now seem to be making more of a shift to the type of universe as that other RCE world, and making the "gaming" aspects almost take a back seat. In this regard, I think the future of EU is very bright. If hunting and mining continues to be your thing then the opportunities will be there. But it sounds to me that with all the different worlds coming in, there will be so much more to do, which opens the doors to a ton of variety and ingenuity like never before. I'm excited to see what the future holds for EU and I'm certainly proud to be a part of it...

I came to this conclusion not too long ago, this game isn't for everyone.

But MA can do a better job with more content, story , etc to attract a more diverse crowd to eu (pc whatever).

You do happen to get something in return for that monthly fee : 24x7 unlimited gaming. The price of the base software came down a lot also, if you can live without the latest & greatest extensions.

In these MMORPGs, economy is tuned in a totally different way so that you always see your playmoney go in the up-direction. Loot is a word that still exists, ammo is dead cheap and for many classes not even needed, crafting has a 100% success rate, and so on. You can make the game as easy or as hard as you can handle, reaching the final level is certainly not the end, it's only a new beginning. A 6 year old can be happy there, and an adult can be too.

But it's not RCE, you cannot recover your monthly fees anymore nor can you make big $$$. The company makes its earning on the monthly fees. Not on your decay, your ammo, your mines, your crafting chances or your new (L) stuff, only on the monthly fees and the 1-time software cost.

Millions of players x low-fee = good money for them, and they can be sure it stays with them. They depend on having lots and lots of customers. And they invest parts of it back in making a better game, which attracts more customers.

Low-fee/no-risk attracts more people than no-fee/self-deposit/high-risk like we have here. Especially in these days, I'm afraid.

In my opinion, people that cannot afford a monthly fee of 13 € won't last long in EU's RCE gaming concept either. Over here we can waste that amount in 1 hunt and then there's still a lot of month left after the peds are gone.

True that there are a lot of children in such games (and also true that there are many adults). But aren't these kids the adults of the future ? They grow up with gaming, they like gaming today, and they'll like gaming tomorrow when they have grown up.

In EU children are not even allowed in, you have to be 18+ because of the RCE aspect. This gives EU a bit of a drawback to imprint the little brains with "this is what a game is supposed to be doing".

I personally like both concepts and can be found both "here" and "there" depending on my mood, but to see EU attract millions of people over the next few years on RCE, no, not really.

Unless MA is changing the economy so that our ingame income improves, which gives a better name to the game, which attracts more people, ....
I'm coming back here to the part of "small income x MANY customers" versus "bigger income x LESS customers" (as it is today in EU). With as added risk for MA that the many customers can ask for a withdrawal any day.

Maybe this game wouldn't have such a bad rep, if it didn't screw people over, but that's just me. :rolleyes:

This game does not meet the expectations placed on it when it was introduced in a local magazine, Its amazing I stayed this long, but I wanted to give it a go.

I lost everything.

- Nightwolf

This is mainly Entropia's own mistake.

They made the learning curve awefull high and it is way to easy to loose all your money withing hours. You will be needing to do soo much research beforehand in order to play this game. So no wonder bad experiance spreading, people love to tell bad news, also people love to hear good news..
The people who are happy with playing Entropia, just play.. why look for other games while you are into Entropia? So positive buzz is not very likely to be spread. Note that the average age is pretty high in comparison with other MMO's. It is also more likely for people with a younger age to checkout MMO forums.

Hummmmmm

Hummmm,

A Lot of Energy in this thread - from players that +rep the game to people who accept it and others that are pissed off with the way it is or what it's become.

The new CryE - isn't going to make the game any Cheaper to play - it's not going to make you more peds - but it will look good & feel good. Sure a few more people may join - but a few will also leave as there computers don't work.

I personally think - the game is highly addictive, and that what keeps a lot of players here - the dream of winning, and winning means, winning peds - sure you can win by meeting and having a great social circle - but to have equipment, a business, to be able to play for hours on end you need money.

The real cash economy is what the addiction is - watch any Interview from MA or ND - they say real cash Economy - 9 times out of 10 times.

Players come to have a look with the dream of making real cash from the RCE - players leave because they lost there money or cannot justify loosing any more.

MA had a dream - A universe - we all envisaged a Universe full of planets for us all to explore like this one - On the cards we see one - but the rest will be given out to company's who will do what they like with them. Ma will provide the planets to company's to make money for them, not to make us happy as players here - Yes we are the customers - but they see Millions more new players, fresh Blood.

Each planet will have its own RCE and planet X will not make the loot better on Planet B - So for us all to wish more players to join is just giving a high 5 to MA in the Stupor of thinking it will benefit us or this planet - well it wont......

Entopia, is a wonderful concept for MA - but we are just the Mice.....

We complain about loot, like we expect to Win - Well it's designed for us to loose - so it's kinda of our own misconception as an individual that is messed up - Yes MA throw out the Win 1 million $ in a Space treasure Hunt idea - Well if anyone said that to me in Real life - in fact i get letters from time to time asking me to subscribe and I have a chance to win 1 million £ - guess what happens to that letter - its in the bin in under 3 seconds. Even my Mum of 75 years old knows that.

To me - the game is less and less fun - You can't play with out spending money - a few can, organising events - but, they get there gun out I'm sure and Bingo there spending.

I've seen Artists join the game, with the dream of showing there Work and maybe selling some - only to end up on the crafting machine out of boredom crafting pointless Dampers.....

The game needs to be more Fun - things to do that are pure interaction, things that make you wanna log in and go to a friends birthday party or just hang out and Chat in a bar with A Pal from Japan or Canada - 99% will like this and what happens when your happy and positive - you spend money - Sure you spend money when your not happy to cheer your self up - but that's a dead end as it will make you so dam low eventually because you will ultimately loose everything - unless you are the 0.00000001 one of the Lucky winners.

Entropia needs to be more fun forum link.... click here.

2pecs
Mf.

Last edited:
Back