Ban people from shop

What seems to be the problem? You sell your items you price them for, if the resellers want to buy them and sell them for 5 ped more on the auction, and with 3 ped fee who cares.
The problem as I see it is more from his regular customers' point-of-view than his own. The people who deserve to buy the items at an attractive, low price, CANNOT, because they're all being swooped up by reseller whores and immediately resold at higher prices. It unfairly skews the market value of the items, too, no different than if someone were to buy all the F vigilante footguards in auction, then resell them for 20 PEDs more.

It's possible to do this, but that doesn't mean it's fair or "right". :)

What seems to be the problem? You sell your items you price them for, if the resellers want to buy them and sell them for 5 ped more on the auction, and with 3 ped fee who cares.

You're assuming my only motivation is to sell as many items as possible.

MA encourages reselling! Just listen to there Ad in game. "Buy items for low and sell higher." :wtg:

A relatively easy solution to the "combo" sales (f.ex full armor sets) would be if MA just allowed storage boxes to be sold WITH items inside - wouldn't require much change to the code i imagine. The shop owners could then perhaps offer to buy back the storage box (or if a lot of storage boxes were sold this way, the price would probably stabilize so the buyer wouldn't have to worry about selling the box at the same price he bought it).

As for the problem of stackables being bought by resellers, well one could take the view that shops just aren't suitable for selling stackables except in some cases. Shops on the other hand are very suitable for selling clothes, paintings, furniture, face masks(?) and crafted items with stable prices. (i don't have a shop and don't know how well that stuff sells in shops, so that's just from a customer perspective)

From an old thread:

let me explain how my 'other' game works.

Every major city has a NPC that acts as a broker. If you click on the NPC you get a search window. You enter information and you get a list of items that are being sold by players.

That list contains the item price, the sellers name, and the seller's address if they own an estate.

So that is what we need in EU.

If you search the auction for Breer M3a - you get a list of every Breer M3a that is for sale. Now the buyer can decide if they want to travel for a better price or buy from a specific person or buy from the auction.

Also, crafted items should have the crafters name listed on the info screen. This way, if you see an item in auction made by a popular crafter but sold by another player you can decide whether or not to buy that item.

I too think the auction is causeing some unnecasary problems.

I know both of these next ideas will be kinda unreasonable but what the heck...

Hire some one to manage shop when your not there.

or

Only give good sales straight from your self. Advertise that your gonna be at your shop holding a sale at date/time. 100th customer gets 100bottles of sweat..ect.

I was also wondering if you have repeatedly caught any "Ubers" grabbing the good stuff?

One other thing I would like to add to this!

Be nice to seen gun/amp combos sold this way too--Like if you buy a "insert weapon here" get "insert matching L amp here" for "insert price here"(could show tt+ for each item or be a special combo price). Could be for any special combo sales.

Sounds familiar ;)

I wrote that wish for the auction, but my idea would easily translate to the stores as well.

As for Slither's original gripes, I agree completely. Not having any ability to say who can buy @ what price destroys too many benefits shops would have over the auction.

It sucks when I read about (insert crafter/seller here) having item x for a great price then finding them completely gone.

But lo and behold, the auction is crawling with a bunch of that item placed up just recently for a shade more then the advertised sale price.

The way things are atm, sales are discouraged and naturally destroyed. It should be the other way around.

Without having read everything so far:
I suggest "Item Permissions" to get rid of those resellers.

For example when you setup an item just pick an option "Not resellable on auction". No matter how many multis those resellers might send to buy the items, they are just not resellable anymore. The stats then will say (L, NA) (limited, not auctionable). Maybe they should add a "not tradable in P2P" as well, what do you think?

People who really want to USE those items you sell wont care I think. When an (L) item is down they put it into TT and it's fine.

I like the ideas you wrote, Slither, but this simple change could solve all the problems you mentioned at once I think.

Last edited:
MA encourages reselling! Just listen to there Ad in game. "Buy items for low and sell higher." :wtg:
LOL True, but I think MA meant it more as "investing in the market and hoping for inflation" rather than "reselling for an immediate small-percentage hike".

I've made a lot of money by investing...it's a bit of a risk, yes, but not really if you buy something when the value is just a bit over TT value--hanging onto it for a year or two--then selling it again when no more of that item are dropping, and few (or none) are available in auction. It's market speculation with minimal risk for items you purchase with low markup (because you can always just TT the item and you wouldn't lose too much).

"Flipping" items, on the other hand, is lame.

After reading the thread again,

Either way MA will really need to take a long hard look at the current economic buy/sell system in EU. In it's current condition and with the easy ability to manipulate and take advantage of the system;

It will eventually lead to those whom are serious investors into EU to take a second think about even bothering with investing into the purchase and setup (supply goods wise) etc of such a service to other participants in EU.

Ultimately it will if it continues to hurt good dedicated crafters like Slither, Photon, Auktuma, Buzz etc etc list goes on to the point where demotivation occurs and care factor diminishes.

This will in turn affect everyone else in EU and once again lead to the participant retention issue MA battles constantly to contain at the present moment.

I can definitely see a ripple effect within the economic structure and social structure of EU and it's stability if this is allowed to spiral out of control.

Yes, Reseller are a pain in the arse, no doubt about that.
Like in all economies, they are there and they play an important part. With this being said, they do though have to be controlled to an extent with having limits set to prevent run away inflation, keep supply healthy along with product's real worth healthy and ultimately not to allow prices to goto the point that puts the dynamics of participating within EU out of the reach of the average participant. (ie. The smaller fish in the sea, without them, just as the case in which the sea would be, EU would be nothing : re - Strong Economic Growth & Prosperity)

Obviously this also has had a big question mark against it in my own business plan, amongst other queries and concerns about the current auctioneer system's lack of information pertaining to erroneous data that has no underlining basis to back it up .... easily falsified and/or manipulated by the minorities who do such shameful things.

I personally feel a more justified and honourable sales tracking system within EU is needed, especially since we are talking REAL CASH, not play money, gold, platinum etc. Something to think about MA. It may also help your case more with the current Intelligence organisation investigations currently going on into drug/terrorist symbolic supply arrangements and communications that are currently penetrating the virtual real cash economies presently.

~ Sparkz

Last edited:
Agree agree agree.. One of my own suggestions but better to hear it from a shop owner.

As for people who think "oh then they will just create another avatar/will get their scumsucker mate to do it for them"

...then he just bans that avatar

and the next one
and the next one

Fingers crossed this change comes cryengine2

(and yes, as a buyer, i'm always pissed off when a store's stock is empty when I know it's because a scumbag took all the nicely priced items...lo and behold on auction)

Well they'll eventually wither and die. There are ways to combat resellers...raising awareness is one of them

I don't see your problem, you (the shopkeeper) got your price, you pretty much have no say what anyone does after you get your money and they take ownership. If you don't want people reselling, increase your price.

Banning an Avatar from buying from you?? Excuse me but you don't want business at the price you state?? :eek: err..I thought thats what you were in a business for.. :confused:

Cheers
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
as i said before, as a real life shop keeper i have the right to refuse service to anyone. in entropia you dont' have that option.

when i sold pokemon cards i hated the 40+ year old men that would come in and try to buy up all the cards the day (minutes) after they arrived. i would often just kick them out. the kids that would trickle in all day may buy in smaller quanities and it may take me much longer to go through a box, BUT i sold to the person i wanted to. i gave the person that was going to use it the item they wanted. not some jerk that wanted to make a buck because he had the money to screw someone else.

I don't see your problem, you (the shopkeeper) got your price, you pretty much have no say what anyone does after you get your money and they take ownership. If you don't want people reselling, increase your price.

Banning an Avatar from buying from you?? Excuse me but you don't want business at the price you state?? :eek: err..I thought thats what you were in a business for.. :confused:

Cheers

Cheap prices are not just ment to sell things, they also mean to build up some sort of reputation to get some always recoming circle of costumers who buy more pricy things every now and then too.
It's like there is a new food store opening in your street and the first day they give away free probes. Ofcourse its "legal" to eat it all off and leave nothing over for others to try but that's what everyone would actually call an 'asshole'.
I hope you got the point. :)

Some good remarks

Amazing thread, really. Let's go back to the basics

Question: but who forced you guys to buy shops? There are definetely good suggestions in that thread, but it is the same as writing a moaning post complaining that you unlocked Xenobiology and that is costed tons of PEDS and "eh com'on MA you have to do something about that".

I don't have a shop, and with the current system, won't. Even for 500 PEDs in Omegaton West Habitat, I won't buy. I don't trade shops actually, I don't like to scam my buyers on auction.

Another point: This thread suggest in a very hypocritous way that shop owners are the uttermost benefit to the players.

So let's take a recent example: The Taurus AL15.
Before some blueprints started to drop recently for this entry-level big weapon, the market was controlled by very few players, who were -uh uh- setting whatever fancy price they wanted for this one, the only limit was set by the looted ISIS (32, 41...) (but these riffles don't last very long, an AL15 is pretty nice stuff)
Then some bps dropped. And it's nice that there are traders competing for these. It makes the pricetag a bit too high for crafters who'd like to stash all these, and continue their business.
Suddently, AL15 started to appear in the auction... at a better price... of course... :yay:

Also it's obvious that some platings, like the 5B, are really so fairly priced for the player (Aurli bone pieces are amazingly rare, are they?)

As well, it's obvious that all traders and resellers have a double avatar, if not more, are scamming artists, etc. As this thread is kinda living on this forum legend, I sure will say a word about it: From my trading experience, and you can trust me on this, not more than 50% of the usual medium to large traders are cheating in a way or another. I could drop names, but I won't - If MA want to do something about it, they can.
And when I quote 50%, it is to say that more than half the traders trade in a fair way. The rest, I don't know for some, I know for some. The resellers, I don't know, not my playground.

ps: no I am not buying weapons from any of the shops mentionned, and of course won't.

The resellers, I don't know, not my playground.

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

If you think you are anything BUT a reseller, you are severely deluded indeed.

Reactions: Pip
I agree with your idea , shop owner should able to choices who to sell to.

I've scanned throught the thread quickly so i am sorry if this has already been mentioned as an idea.

What if for each item you could set a cap on how many could be bought by an avatar within a period - i.e M2a's 2 per person per 24 hours, 3 OA 103's per 24 hours, 1 T10 per week etc.

Or show the numbers red in auc if there is cheaper alternatives somwere else.
or better, give us a full database at auc inkl. shops. Can't see why we need to go to the shops everytime. One time/shop chould be enough.

While I understand the reason for this thread, what is happening here is no different to what goes on in RL.

I can walk into a shop offering an item for sale, buy it, and list it on Ebay with a starting price slightly above what I paid for it, and you can bet some one will buy it, as they will assume that the Ebay (Auction) price is going to be the best deal, and so won't actually check to see if it is.

There will always be (in EU and in RL) people who buy stuff in the expectation that they can sell it on at a higher price.

I can see no way to prevent it, unless you set your shop price above the current auction price. Of course, if you do this, it's unlikely to sell at all!

When I offer stuff in my booth I set what I think is a fair price considering the current MA reported price, and then it either sells, or it does not. If it does not sell, I have not wasted the auction fee, and if it does sell, I have the same peds i would have had from the auction (give or take a few pecs).

I don't care if it then gets re-sold. It belongs to the buyer now, to do with as they wish.
I am not saying I have the right business approach, but it does not give me an ulcer.

Thanks for being the first to make this point Dorsai. I agree.

Slither, I can see your point. The purpose of your shop is to be able to try and give the poor guy a chance, or in general just offer a good deal, and your genuinely generous approach is eaten up by the greedy guys. IRL you can kick someone out of your shop, but most shops aren't in PVP so our hands are tied.

I guess this issue doesn't irritate us at SFE. We don't try to undersell or oversell. We simply determine our price from how much it actually costs to make the armour. If it's too much it won't sell and we need to think about that. If it's too little it'll sell real quick and then we have a restock problem. Generally, though, we're selling at a price that we think is fair and that we are happy with, and if the same guy wants to come back every 2 hours and buy it then we are HAPPY about that because we get a sale!

While I see your point slither and I think the option should be there, I think the core underlying problem is in fact the hated resellers who take advantage of any way they think they can get a profit. That's a wider societal issues that as someone else said (I'll go back and find him and +rep him), one of the best ways of dealing with it is simply to raise awareness.

Lol how bout a sign out the front of your shop where you list all the people you think are nasty resellers?! rofl!

Interestingly, this kind of behavior was far less common before the auctions were implemented. I don't even know what would solve that problem. You can't ban people from shops, even if they're reseller whores. You can't raise your prices because then you're on par with the auctions, and therefore there's no benefit to you or the customers to buy at your shop.

Our hands are tied! :( I'd like to think, though, Coelacanth, as I try to state as often as I see the opportunity, that the way WE run our shop does solve a few of these problems. A lot of shops shut soon after opening because people expect it to be different or don't realise the amount of work that needs to go in to at least break even.

I get flustrated when I want to go BUY a set of L armor only to find 4-5 of the parts available at the time. I thought it might be a good solution if the armor shop owners would put a sign for sale that said something along the lines of:

This sign entitles owner to one full set of "Insert armor name here" at "Insert full tt+price here" upon presentation of sign. Pm "Insert shop owner here" at (insert EF name, msn name, or email, etc etc here) or meet "Insert regular daily-semi daily time when shop owner available in shop here" to redeem. Cost of sign will be deducted from tt+price when returned and redeemed. Alteration of sign (there by altering who uploaded image) will not be valid and/or accepted.

This surely is a hassle and would be much better if MA simply fixed it but it is an option we could use now in game to solve a problem everyone is afflected by.

I would surely use this system if the price on the set was right and it would stop the people who buy up on piece preventing those of us who want the full set from getting it.

Gandolf (and absolutely everyone for that matter), I would dearly love you to do two things:

1. Go to forum.southernfortress.com.au, register and talk to us more about your ideas.
2. Go to our website, SFE - Southern Fortress Engineering and use the menu on the left to navigate to the Ordering page. While you're at the website, have a look around at what we've written about what we're trying to achieve.

I would like to think that while we don't offer exactly what you're suggesting at the moment, we do currently do three things which help:

a) We are committed to regularly restocking our shop.
b) We stock multiple copies of our more popular armours.
c) If that still doesn't help, you're able to order whatever crafted armour you want from us (from the list of armours we make!) and we arrange for a time and place to meet and trade.

I totally agree with you about the problems presented by the way shops work, and I think their relative unpopularity is partly caused by the owners not having the commitment to run them efficiently.

We are trying to do our part though, on the crafted armour front only, and hope that for any armour we have officially launched and that can therefore be found in our shop, there is a very high chance that when you come back to the shop you will find it there waiting for you, and that if you can't you can order it from us anyway.

I hope that helps!!!

A relatively easy solution to the "combo" sales (f.ex full armor sets) would be if MA just allowed storage boxes to be sold WITH items inside - wouldn't require much change to the code i imagine. The shop owners could then perhaps offer to buy back the storage box (or if a lot of storage boxes were sold this way, the price would probably stabilize so the buyer wouldn't have to worry about selling the box at the same price he bought it).

As for the problem of stackables being bought by resellers, well one could take the view that shops just aren't suitable for selling stackables except in some cases. Shops on the other hand are very suitable for selling clothes, paintings, furniture, face masks(?) and crafted items with stable prices. (i don't have a shop and don't know how well that stuff sells in shops, so that's just from a customer perspective)

Brilliant idea with the boxes! I guess the ultimate solution would be to make such a special uber box available at the TT. Then there'd be no market issue on them. You could include the box value in the sale cost then the buyer could just TT the box and you go buy a new one.

Last edited:
Nice little ad break from SFE, now let's get back to the thread.

I am sure MA will promise you a huge improvement of the shop system coming in the near future...and that will be all they do about it for a couple months.

Brilliant idea with the boxes! I guess the ultimate solution would be to make such a special uber box available at the TT. Then there'd be no market issue on them. You could include the box value in the sale cost then the buyer could just TT the box and you go buy a new one.

Yep, already mentioned and outlined a possible solution to this here ..

TT Kit Containers Solution

~ Sparkz

Cheers

Hello new person.

I have an m2a that will suit you just fine. It evens gives you a skill bonus. I used to sell it in my shop for 42 ped, but because of resellers over the past year (both of the mats required to make it, and the gun itself), you now have to pay me 46 ped per gun.

Resellers increase inflation. reseller = bad for gamer.

So, unless your a reseller, you didn't completely think about what you typed prior to you typing it.

~Red

The problem as I see it is more from his regular customers' point-of-view than his own. The people who deserve to buy the items at an attractive, low price, CANNOT, because they're all being swooped up by reseller whores and immediately resold at higher prices. It unfairly skews the market value of the items, too, no different than if someone were to buy all the F vigilante footguards in auction, then resell them for 20 PEDs more.

It's possible to do this, but that doesn't mean it's fair or "right". :)

As long as the price is payed for certain items they supposed to be worth that also. Normally in EU the seller determines the price, and if its nowhere cheaper they go for that price. And if some smartass buys all the availible items and sells them for higher, they are bound to go for that price because there are no cheaper arround.

The economy in EU is a bit weird and the other way arround than normal economy. Check the ore prices for instance:

The ores are getting cheaper less upmark oh help!
Oh the amps are getting cheaper also because of the low ore price.
Because the amps are cheaper, there are more bigger depossits found thus the ores are getting cheaper again. This is what happend a while back, and I dont know how the ore price is getting back up again. Maybe a reseller bought the amps without using them, thus they are crafted but not used to find more ores, this results in less ores so the price rizes again. More expensive ores means more expensive amps, and the reseller sells his stocked-up amps for more profit.

(yes you got figured out try something else now) :laugh:

Well, in that case the feature to forbid people bidding on your stuff in auction could be interesting as well. Especially those shopkeepers who tries to buy it off from auction and to put it higher in a shop :rolleyes:

Both ideas - blocking someone within a shop and just my presented one - can sound nice in the beginning, but on second thought do more damage than good.

Resellers increase inflation. reseller = bad for gamer.

~Red

Im no reseller but inflation is mainly caused by buyouts and orders (are lower buyouts).
If the imgame upmark graph does not count the buyouts the price will not fluctuate so much.

example:

Most things that are sold at BO price will push the price up, beacause it is mainly sold higher than current market price.

For the order stuff it is the opposite, most orders are posted just below market price, and if you want to sell an amount you always get stuck a few % below the filed order % you get quick above it because you have to increase or decrease it by 1 ped. So if an order is for 2000% you have to sell it for 2180% or 1930% (just an example) so it orders for 1930%

Most of the time you cant even get it exact on the % the order goes for, I had a couple of times it didnt even ordered while I had it exact at the % (and the amount was small enough to fit in the order)

If this continues the market price will lower even more, and the next orders filed going to 1900% as well, and then again you have to sell it lower than 1900% to fit in the order.

It is true that the stackables and Limmited items are now graphed per PEC/PED so it slows it down a bit, but still the prices are realy affected by the buyouts

Maybe a bit offtopic but it fits a bit in the discussion here.

I agree totally with Slither's ideas. +rep to him.

*edited for further testing*

OK... I'll try it again; hasn't worked that way for me in the past, but maybe I'm wrong. :eek:

Last edited:
I agree totally with Slither's ideas.

I think the whole "Order" system could stand a massive overhaul as well. It should work more like an actual bidding system...

If I order 5061 eye oil (wtf, why would I, but walk with me) at 101%, then it should shop for me and allow multiple listings to fill my order as long as my price is met, not demand that there be a 1-1 match. "Oops, there's only 5054 eye oil at 100.15% markup here, no match, nothing to see, move along!"

Silly MA.

Huh? did you try the order system? it doesn't require a 1-1 match

Back