BBC News: Gamer buys $26,500 virtual land

DonJunior

Old
A 22-year-old gamer has spent $26,500 (£13,700) on an island that exists only in a computer role-playing game (RPG).
The Australian gamer, known only by his gaming moniker Deathifier, bought the island in an online auction.

The land exists within the game Project Entropia, an RPG which allows thousands of players to interact with each other.

Entropia allows gamers to buy and sell virtual items using real cash, while fans of other titles often use auction site eBay to sell their virtual wares.

Earlier this year economists calculated that these massively multi-player online role-playing games (MMORPGs) have a gross economic impact equivalent to the GDP of the African nation of Namibia.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4104731.stm

Hopefully I have posted this in the correct section for newbies.

I am researching the history of Treasure Island because I'm planning to invest in the new share offering. The earliest mention I can find of it was reported by the BBC News (link provided above). Has the BBC or another reputable media source reported on the current share offering. I would like to be more informed before making a financial investment.

Last edited:
BBC won’t be interested. It was only newsworthy at the time because it was the first sale of its kind. Now people throw that around every day of the week in guns.
Whether it’s worth it or not at the IPO... probably.

There is a large part of the story of treasure island that is major newsworthy but is never talked about.

While not directly affecting history of Treasure Island itself there is mention in 2019 financial report of a court case related to Arkadia

Planet Arkadia After five years of minimal development of the planet due to the intellectual property claims in Singapore, the court has now granted Arkadia full ownership of all copyrights in question. Planet Arkadia was also awarded reimbursement for legal costs and won its counterclaims, including baseless threats of copyright infringement and breach of contract, with damages to be assessed by the court at a later date. Arkadia now intends to increase development and marketing in 2020.

The court case had something to do with the owner of Treasure Island.

I think there may be other similar court related documentation out there if you can find it. I've not followed it too closely but some folks over at entropiaplanets forums seem to be. Seems that a bankruptcy may be involved and exchange of ownership of virtual property. My suspicion is that selling Treasure Island is a direct or indirect result of some of that ownership changing hands. As to the value Mindark is selling at I don't think they've released any financial data on LA tax income or return on investment or anything like that and I don't think the previous owner(s) have either.... so it is 300% speculation. Prices could go up just as it did with some other deeds. Prices could go down or be something worse similar to the whole compets fiasco... only time will tell.

Just remember this is a percentage of Multi-LA purchase. It is not the same thing as a percentage of an entire Planet as CLD offering was. Since it's deeds being sold the way they are more than likely as it's Calypso based it'll sell out faster than Ancient Greece deeds are. However, only time will tell if it's as good of a purchase as Crystal Palace deeds.

Also remember that any deed is sort of a ped sink for a long while til return on investment comes back and til you get a chance to sell later on. In the mean time there's literally 1000s of things selling on auction daily below historic prices that could be resold, and there is a real world stock market that will make you much more return on investment than any virtual purchase ever will.

While not directly affecting history of Treasure Island itself there is mention in 2019 financial report of a court case related to Arkadia

The court case had something to do with the owner of Treasure Island.

I think there may be other similar court related documentation out there if you can find it. I've not followed it too closely but some folks over at entropiaplanets forums seem to be. Seems that a bankruptcy may be involved and exchange of ownership of virtual property. My suspicion is that selling Treasure Island is a direct or indirect result of some of that ownership changing hands. As to the value Mindark is selling at I don't think they've released any financial data on LA tax income or return on investment or anything like that and I don't think the previous owner(s) have either.... so it is 300% speculation. Prices could go up just as it did with some other deeds. Prices could go down or be something worse similar to the whole compets fiasco... only time will tell.

Just remember this is a percentage of Multi-LA purchase. It is not the same thing as a percentage of an entire Planet as CLD offering was. Since it's deeds being sold the way they are more than likely as it's Calypso based it'll sell out faster than Ancient Greece deeds are. However, only time will tell if it's as good of a purchase as Crystal Palace deeds.

Also remember that any deed is sort of a ped sink for a long while til return on investment comes back and til you get a chance to sell later on. In the mean time there's literally 1000s of things selling on auction daily below historic prices that could be resold, and there is a real world stock market that will make you much more return on investment than any virtual purchase ever will.
Thankyou, I did not know about that court case. Hopefully a Mindark representative can clear up all the details before the shares are made public.

There was court brief, in Swedish of course, that was linked in one of the post within the past week about the litigation. I'll see if I can find it...

Back