Beware!!!!!!! AMD FX doesn't currently run EU

trixsteruk

Provider
Society
GloryHound Irregulars
Paul Trixster Langton
I'd just like to inform anyone thats planning to upgrade or buy a new pc that the AMD FX chips do not seem to run EU, Idon't pretend to know why or which exact chips fail to run the game. I suggest researching properly before making the mistake that I have, preventing u from getting as annoyed as i have today with my "new pc". The chip i have that doesn't work is an AMD FX 4100 3.6ghz. Please feel free to add any other known chips that dont currently run EU to the thread!! I have contacted support and firstly i received a generic reply saying they were investigating the issue. I proceeded to send another support asking for a non generic reply, with an ETA on a fix for the problem the reply i got was

Hi,

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience this is causing you.

Unfortunately I don't have any information about this issue at the current time to be able to provide you with a more satisfying reply and I can not offer an ETA for a solution at the moment, however please rest assured that we are currently investigating this issue.

Thank you for your patience and participation in Entropia Universe.

Kind regards,
Osborn | ROCKtropia Support

Thats all for now, any updates I get or information I find i shall post in this thread. Please entropians, you do not want to be as pi***d off as I am now!!!

According to what i have read, there is a new instruction set on the chips that somehow stops the game from running at all, it just crashes before u get to the login screen, the error thats given is Entropia does not shut down normally!!

This 3D instruction set will also be in the new intel chips to be released very soon. So hopefully it will be fixed!

have you check to make sure all drivers are up to date, it may be a new computer, but some drivers will be out of date since it was built..also what video card do you have?

It is stated that it is the chip that stops it from running, MA know of the problem!!

There's a known issue with the Bulldozer processors and Windows Server 2008 R2 and W7 which AMD are working on patching.

According to this story http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-fx8150-bulldozer-windows7-patch,14304.html

and this one

http://en.expreview.com/2012/01/19/test-for-amd-bulldozer-hotfixes-from-microsoft/20477.html

points towards some beta hotfixes but official ones aren't due for while.

Yep its on both sides im afraid. Until someone from the powers that be fixes the problem, it may be a dud...

Neither of those linked articles should have anything to do with entropia.

They concern scheduling threads to the 2nd core in a module rather then to an unused parked module. Which is better depends on the workload and if you perfer to minimize power usage or maximize potential. Scheduling to an unused core on an active module is better then waking up a parked module if you are concerned about power, if you are concerned about performance its better to use 1 core in each module first then schedule to the 2nd core in each module after that.

Id say its more likely a driver issue or configuration issue then the chip itself. But i dont own a bulldozer chip.

From experience however i did have a problem with vu 10+ of entropa with some versions of microsoft c++ dlls. Many versions would make entropia behave as you described. There are threads on this board about which versions work, so id definitly check that out. I dont know if this is still an issue, but it use to be.

It's a problem with the chips using the new instruction sets. 100% sure.

Look on the bright side. If they drag their feet long enough, you will have saved enough from not depositing to pay for that new computer. :)

Some months ago i send a support case about my new netbook Asus 1215b. I see AMD Radeon in advertisement then i think about run EU as second target for this netbook.

If problem is in chip and not in EU program can i think "old" computers will continue not working with EU?.

Some months ago i send a support case about my new netbook Asus 1215b. I see AMD Radeon in advertisement then i think about run EU as second target for this netbook.

If problem is in chip and not in EU program can i think "old" computers will continue not working with EU?.

No thats not the problem. Each chip has a set of instructions that help manage the 3d aspect of games and other programs. Basically it lets the cpu know how to handle the information that is used in every 3d application. Another word for it would be firmware. A program imbedded in every hardware that tells other hardware and software how to use it.

What is wrong with the chip is, the new instruction set that is used by these chips are not letting the older instruction sets work. It looks for it in a game and if it does not see it, it closes the program and deems it not compatible.

What has to happen is AMD has to tell the cpu, if it does not see this new instruction set in the application (game) then look for the other ones that are there and run those instead.

What MA has to do, is update EU to use this instuction set and therefore the chip will work.

I hope this helps.. :)

Well u may be glad to hear, and i certainly am, that im getting a new chip tommorow replaced by the shop, replacing the AMD FX 4100 3.6Ghz with a Phenom X4 970 3.5Ghz. Is that an ok swap do we think?

Well u may be glad to hear, and i certainly am, that im getting a new chip tommorow replaced by the shop, replacing the AMD FX 4100 3.6Ghz with a Phenom X4 970 3.5Ghz. Is that an ok swap do we think?

Yep its a good swap. I heard of others who have had their chip replaced as well. So I think most comp. shops know of the problems as well. :)

I have the 960, It kicks a** playing EU.

so you're saying AMD released a new chip that doesnt run Cryengine2 or other 3D apps? what did they benchmark on then? thats a massive bollock dropped.

I still doubt its the chip. Its a x86 instruction chip, im sure it runs x86 instructions just fine. In all the reviews and articles ive come across on bulldozer there hasn't been a single mention of any application not running.

Its likely a driver on that system not recognizing the chip.

I still doubt its the chip. Its a x86 instruction chip, im sure it runs x86 instructions just fine. In all the reviews and articles ive come across on bulldozer there hasn't been a single mention of any application not running.

Its likely a driver on that system not recognizing the chip.

This quoted from: http://scalibq.wordpress.com/2011/10/15/amd-admits-mistake-in-new-blog/

Surely AMD can not be so naive as to think that an architecture can be a success if it can not run current and older software well enough? Intel tried that with both the Pentium 4 and the Itanium. Both were cases of CPUs that could run current and older x86 code, but were not very good at it, often not even as good as their predecessors. They only showed their full potential in specifically optimized applications, but in the consumer market, not enough of such applications surfaced, so the CPUs never really overcame their performance problems. So I wonder who at AMD could possibly have thought that they could pull it off, when Intel cannot?

Basically it is saying that AMD launched a chip (cpu) for future use expecting the people to buy them for that reason. The problem is that it can run the older X86 code but not very well, and even not at all, but will run the newer x86 code very well. This is ok but the problem is that the old x86 code in reality is the code that you and I are using now and will be using for at least a couple of years. LOL even games, like EU!!!

Now I know that this is someones blog and is one persons views, but there are other posts out there that explain a problem with both performance, and reliability. Even AMD has been trying to fix these problems with patches and new firmware updates to no avail.

Also EU is not using the Cryengine 2 as it was intended. They have said that it is heavily modified to get it to work the way they wanted. As far as I know the last time I asked MA through support and ask MA section on EF, the game still doesn't support Crossfire and SLI correctly or at all.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...206203-What-button-would-you-press&highlight=
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forum/ask-mindark/200762-when-will-sli-crossfire-fixed.html

So with all this I have seen that they will no longer be making this cpu as they are not happy with them and even where told that they shouldn't have even made these chips in the first place. Plus they are not being able to supply the wafers anymore or enough of them to make enough chips. To me this spells one thing, crappy cpu.

But in the end, its up to you to decide. What I know right now is that every person who buys this cpu to run EU, can't. Now if they all have a driver problem, then it is still a problem with the chips??!!:rolleyes:

the new AMD chips make problems!
------------------------------------

But old chips like amd phenom runs very well. I use a phenom, and all os ok.

Same problem here with my new machine, FX6-6100 Black based, no reply from MA to a support case but if they've known about this issue since the start of the year, it might have been nice for them to have mentioned it on the requirements page BEFORE I got a new machine!

Same problem here with my new machine, FX6-6100 Black based, no reply from MA to a support case but if they've known about this issue since the start of the year, it might have been nice for them to have mentioned it on the requirements page BEFORE I got a new machine!

Any chance of getting the CPU replaced? the socket is compatible with Phenom II.

Any chance of getting the CPU replaced? the socket is compatible with Phenom II.

None, built the machine myself cause I wanted it silent, so if I want a new CPU I'll have to pay for it, and I'm not buying a new CPU just for one game.

my soc m8 is also having this issue.

Confirming that setting a custom CPU affinity works.
Hopefully a proper patch will be released soon... It's been close to 6 months since Bulldozer was released, and the successor (Piledriver) is planned to launch by summer/fall this year.

Though I suppose the thread's title should be more like "EU doesn't currently support AMD FX out of the box" :p

Back