Beware!!!!!!! AMD FX doesn't currently run EU

Though I suppose the thread's title should be more like "EU doesn't currently support AMD FX out of the box" :p

But the problem is not with EU, EU is fine. The problem is on the chip and the fact that AMD tried to push a new instruction set on it too quickly.

Blame AMD.

has anyone tried?

I noticed that the various installations have installed msvc++ 2005, 2008, 2010. Not necessarily in that order, 2010 was first I think.

While I understand that ppl think that the issue is with the chip itself I also see that people have had success with setting cpu affinity; in my case cpu affinity still ctd.

has anyone tried to uninstall all of the msvc++ and reinstall starting with the 2005 MA ships with, then ( in my case ) 2008, then 2010?

I only mention this as I had weird crashes on Intel win7 portable when I first got it and the solution was uninstall and reinstall of all of the msvc++ in date order.

Also if setting cpu affinity works for some people why does it not work for everybody??

Also if setting cpu affinity works for some people why does it not work for everybody??
The only other case of widespread game crashes I know of was with Steam's DRM when using old motherboard BIOS/UEFI versions.
The BIOS that shipped with my board was the one from early december, which included the fix.
It would be interesting to know what combo people use.

I'll start:
ASUS M5A99X EVO - BIOS v.1102

No thats not the problem. Each chip has a set of instructions that help manage the 3d aspect of games and other programs. Basically it lets the cpu know how to handle the information that is used in every 3d application. Another word for it would be firmware. A program imbedded in every hardware that tells other hardware and software how to use it.

What is wrong with the chip is, the new instruction set that is used by these chips are not letting the older instruction sets work. It looks for it in a game and if it does not see it, it closes the program and deems it not compatible.

What has to happen is AMD has to tell the cpu, if it does not see this new instruction set in the application (game) then look for the other ones that are there and run those instead.

What MA has to do, is update EU to use this instuction set and therefore the chip will work.

I hope this helps.. :)
Thankyou I wont post beyond.

What is wrong with the chip is, the new instruction set that is used by these chips are not letting the older instruction sets work. It looks for it in a game and if it does not see it, it closes the program and deems it not compatible.

Do you have any reference to point to regarding that? Because AFAIK Bulldozer only expands upon the instruction set available in Phenom, though blocking previous one sounds very unlikely. And EU would definitely not be the only affected program out there.

Scheduling issues due to the shared resources on Bulldozer are a more likely cause, if you ask me.

As for intel, I think they will come up with their own variation. Look for "Stop the instruction set war" on Google (I had posted the URL to that, but I might not be allowed to do that yet, or there's glitch somewhere).

Just a note to confirm that setting the processor affinity worked for me as well. I basically disabled the 0 CPU.

Just a note to confirm that setting the processor affinity worked for me as well. I basically disabled the 0 CPU.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/100583-analyzing-bulldozers-scaling-single-thread-performance

Found an interesting excerpt that explains why the fix suggested here works. There are also some interesting parts that also suggest Windows 8 may help with this problem and take full advantage of the chips design. I think though that by the time Win 8 hits the main market, this chip will already be replaced also suggested in the article.

This also brings up an interesting question, has anyone who is using this chip tried it with Win 8 beta yet?

There is another article that explains why some of the fixes issued by AMD/Microsoft hasn't fix the underlining problem, and most likely won't without a major core revision which will be issued in the new Piledriver CPU.

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/10/17/bulldozer-doesnt-have-just-a-single-problem/
and here
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5251/microsoft-releases-hotfix-to-improve-bulldozer-performance
and something interesting here.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/ne...tfix_amd_bulldozer_processors_no_fooling_time

These and others are all out there for the reading. I give AMD kudos for trying to think ahead instead of playing with status quo. Unfortunately it seems they bit off more then they can chew.

Hopefully AMD can gain some credit back with the launch of the Piledriver.

Unfortunately with the last VU, I can no longer run entropia with my above fix. I will post a solution if I find one.

Unfortunately with the last VU, I can no longer run entropia with my above fix. I will post a solution if I find one.

Try setting the compatibility of Entropia.exe to vista SP2 (that is if you are on Win7)

I wonder if MA thought they may have fixed it but unintentionally made it worse.. :scratch2:

Try setting the compatibility of Entropia.exe to vista SP2 (that is if you are on Win7)
You could try this, but I highly doubt that will work. It's more to do with the chips architecture and it not being supported by the older and current software rather then a compatibility issue with windows. :) But it's worth a shot. :yup:

Still wondering if there is some people using this chip with Win 8 as it was suggested that Win 8 will take advantage of the this chips design. :D

Thanks for the suggestions. I found after rebooting the computer, I was able to run Entropia.

I'm not sure what fixed it. It could be that the VU update required a reboot or perhaps another program was running causing a conflict.

Either way, I can still run Entropia by setting the processor affinity in Task Manager to not use CPU 0.

Thanks for the suggestions. I found after rebooting the computer, I was able to run Entropia.

I'm not sure what fixed it. It could be that the VU update required a reboot or perhaps another program was running causing a conflict.

Either way, I can still run Entropia by setting the processor affinity in Task Manager to not use CPU 0.

Good to hear! I thought that maybe it had to do with the XP issue others are having. ;) It would still be nice if Microsoft and others would give AMD a bone here and support this chip. :rolleyes:

now I can't log even disabling few of the cores of the CPU on win 7.
anyone else have same problem? I am thinking of instaling windows 8 privew may be this will fix it :scratch2:

anyone else have same problem? I am thinking of instaling windows 8 privew may be this will fix it :scratch2:
Im just working on Win 8 new release they jus did (release review).. still lots of bugs. If you have good computer knowledge then go for it as I would be interested in seeing how this chip works with win 8. :D But maybe install a different IE or use a different browser, IE 10 is not going so well.. :( or try win 8 as dual boot then if you don't like it or it sucks with that chip you can delete it! :)

Im just working on Win 8 new release they jus did (release review).. still lots of bugs. If you have good computer knowledge then go for it as I would be interested in seeing how this chip works with win 8. :D But maybe install a different IE or use a different browser, IE 10 is not going so well.. :( or try win 8 as dual boot then if you don't like it or it sucks with that chip you can delete it! :)

I use Chrome for browser, and that PC just for games, but will win 8 run entropia on this chip is the question?

Since the last VU update, I still have to disable CPU 0. However it takes about 3 or more attempts to get to the login screen after clicking the launch button. Once I get to the login screen, the game runs fine for me. Also, it seems to start up better after a fresh reboot. I am using Windows 7.

YMMV. Big PITA IMO.

MA, if you are reading this, please fix. I have already taken the time to submit a support ticket, but my bug reports *never* seem to get fixed. At some point, the frustration factor exceeds the fun factor.

I use Chrome for browser, and that PC just for games, but will win 8 run entropia on this chip is the question?

Very good question indeed!! :D Have you tried it yet!!?? ;)

same problem here, eu refuses to work now since last update, dang this sucks......:mad:

Add me to the list of ppl not able to run EU on new hardware.

AMD FX 8150 8-Core 3,6 GHz and Sapphire HD 7850

I get "entropia did not shut down normally" + "Exception Address = 12418513"

Damned, I wish I read this thread BEFORE buying new hardware. :(

BTW. Support was really nice and sendt me a CopyAndPaste answer as usual.:hammer:
I would THINK they are aware of the situation?

:cdevil:

Last edited:
Add me to the list of ppl not able to run EU on new hardware.

AMD FX 8-Core 3,6 GHz and Sapphire HD 7850

I get "entropia did not shut down normally" + "Exception Address = 12418513"

Damned, I wish I read this thread BEFORE buying new hardware. :(

BTW. Support was really nice and sendt me a CopyAndPaste answer as usual.
I would THINK they are aware of the situation?

Yeah I would like to see this added to the compatibility list, at least until they have a workaround for it.
MA is aware of it and are working on it, but it is a lot more complicated then just a few lines of code. Well at least from what I have read. It's an internal problem with the chip. It's not really a problem as more of a too much too soon problem.

If you check the thread out, you should be able to use the workaround the players have found. :yup:

I wish you best of luck. :)

If you check the thread out, you should be able to use the workaround the players have found. :yup:

I wish you best of luck. :)

Forgot to mention that I tried all the different "Set affinity" workaround with no luck. :scratch2:

Forgot to mention that I tried all the different "Set affinity" workaround with no luck. :scratch2:

Any luck since then? :scratch2:

Nah. I'm out. I don't bother running more test atm.

All other games I have tried works GREAT so I guess it is the usual MA fuckup.

Support still have not answered me so I guess MA dont care either?

Last edited:
Nah. I'm out. I don't bother running more test atm.

All other games I have tried works GREAT so I guess it is the usual MA fuckup.

Support still have not answered me so I guess MA dont care either?

Yeah it's most likely they haven't updated some codes with the engine. They have modified the Cry 2 engine to make it run the stuff in EU.. I think if they are working on it, with the help of Crytek, it will be able to run with this chip well.

I have seen another blog about this very chip, and the writer has said that most games are now working with AMD to support this chip.. It's just a matter of time before they get everyone involved. The only thing is, with the new Piledriver chip on the horizon, how much trust has AMD lost with this chips flaws?? :scratch2:

FYI, support says they are working on the problem.

My correspondence is here:

2012-06-23 19:34 You wrote:

Please see my issue #230414 for system specs and issue description.

This problem has got a lot worse since the last 2 VU updates.

After I click the "Launch" button, EU just crashes. I have set my processor affinity to not use CPU 0 (zero), and it can take as many as THIRTY ATTEMPTS before I get to the login screen.

THIS IS INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING. If this is not fixed, then I will be forced to abandon Entropia Universe and cash out.

there is no point for me to continue if you can't or won't fix this issue.

I do not see anything in the system requirements that says DO NOT use an AMD processor.

Please advise as to when this will be fixed.
Thank you

2012-06-25 16:04 Entropia Universe Support:

Hi craw,

Thank you for contacting us. Our development department is working on a solution for this problem and we hope the release is as soon as possible. Please accept our most since apologies for the frustration this is currently causing you.

Stay tuned to the news section on the website for any updates on the release of this solution.

Kind regards,
Cameron | Planet Calypso Support

2012-06-25 17:42 You wrote:

I appreciate the update and hope to see this fixed soon.

My level of play had decreased substantially because it is far too frustratring to login anymore.

You may close this issue, but I will reopen if this is not fixed in the next release or two.

2012-06-25 18:37 Entropia Universe Support:

craw,

I can understand the loss of interest in participating. Most of the delay has been due to AMD not being very interested in helping us fix this issue. But I hope the release comes as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding and patience,
Cameron | Planet Calypso Support

AMD is most likely not interested in fixing the problem with EU because they are most likely waiting to push out the new piledriver cpu..

Not too sure I will continue to support AMD after this..

AMD is most likely not interested in fixing the problem with EU because they are most likely waiting to push out the new piledriver cpu..

Not too sure I will continue to support AMD after this..
I must say that i'm really very happy with my I7-3770K :)

"Support" is still not answering me about what "Exception Address = 12418513" refers to?

My bet is MA programmers have no idea of what they are doing.

I've had plenty of time to check out many other games now, and EU is the only one failing.

Those code calls they are using must be ANCIENT?

Back