Breaking Even - A success story

man i love this post. i've learned a little..more confirming my thoughts but its something i was too lazy(or didnt have the ped to) go and figure out myself :) ty

Hehe, i should read this now and then.. Then lean back.. and just breath..

If i have a bad run, i cry like a child.
Deposit another 50 bucks and expect everything to change ;)

Maybe its time..
yes indeed it is..

Tonight, i'll go powerfisting :)

Thank you very much for sharing. Definitely + rep to you.

This will help to inspire many.

Ratae.

damn the saba pit would have been nice before paint changes!
But now i will hunt snarksnots instead, i think i will start tomorrow morning with full tt P3A, but i am not sure whether iit`s a good, or a bad sign, that someone globaled on em. ;p

good stuff miles.

+rep

he he the hunts seem to work yet.. snark first 30 PED then a stupid young fauc running in my P3A and 48PED! :yay: including 27PED Korrs 380 which will be my next gun :)

Nor i tried saba and laso had +5PED aftre it.. we`ll see if it`s just luck, or a way to the great break even.Unfortunatelly i don`t really get skills for saba anymore.

Very nice post Miles, we need more people like you around ;)

I vote for this thread to be stickied!

Good to hear from You Miles! I'll remember You from that Saba-Pit East of Atlas-Haven North...

I saw You and had a few short chats... You sounded like a dedicated player even back then and more so after reading Your starter post on this thread.

Best of Luck Mate!! And thanks for the post... keep it up and never give up!

-Hyssch-

Status Update

To this point I have only provided vague assurances that I continue to profit. In part this is because I rarely calculate my worth. When I played poker I kept records obsessively, and I wanted to do less work and have more fun in EU, so I deliberately chose to take a more easy-going approach.

I did my first deposit (1000ped), soon after I graduated, and at the time was worth somewhere between 400-600ped, but I included markup on some items, like amps, and I did not keep any records.

I did my first accurate calculation just before the New Year when I was planning to make second deposit, and I wanted be sure I was still ahead. Today, as I completed another run through my bankroll, and my PED card reached zero, I though it would interesting to see where I was at, and share it here.

To make a conservative, accurate, and simple calculation, I use TT value only. The markup on non-L items is like investment money - it may rise or fall, but until the investment is sold it's just speculation. I don't include skills for the same reason. I simply copied my inventory into a spread sheet and totaled it up. Since my inventory contains all the loot from the last cycle, this figure does not include the markup on items I am about to sell off. This is the most conservative possible calculation.

Below are the figures from Dec 27th 2007 and Feb 8th 2008

12-27-07
  • Total TT Value: 1540.95ped
  • Deposits to Date: 1000.00ped
  • Net Profit: 540.95ped
  • Approximate Bankroll: 500.00ped
  • Highest Prof Level: 26.5 Laser Sniper
  • Highest Skill Level: 4k Laser Weapon Tech
  • Hit Points: 104
  • Total Skills: 34.8k
  • Unlocked Skills: MMS, RDA

2-8-08
  • Total TT Value: 2732.45ped
  • Deposits to Date: 2000.00ped
  • Net Profit: 732.45ped
  • Approximate Bankroll: 1200.00ped
  • Highest Prof Level: 28.5 Laser Sniper
  • Highest Skill Level: 4.2k Laser Weapon Tech
  • Hit Points: 107
  • Total Skills: 40.0k
  • Unlocked Skills: MMS, RDA

In between these two measurements I had 14 globals (13 hunting, 0 mining, 1 crafting), the biggest being 95ped on a Berycled Provider. I also had my first HOF - thanks to the 100 place list ;) - a 190ped Force Nexus claim.

I had no major windfalls, and no mining globals other than the HOF. Also, you can see that I am not getting rich, just slowly working my way ahead. (I will be keeping my day job for the foreseeable future :D), but I continue to gain skills and experience, and have fun doing it.

:beerchug:

Miles

Last edited:
As a noob myself (just over a month), posts like this are priceless in learning how to enjoy EU without it costing an absolute fortune. As an ex gambler (sports) myself I can relate to some of the principles that you have talked about.

Personally, I couldn't resist the temptation to deposit a modest amount of cash to start experimenting with a few things but I've now reached the point where I would like to get a bit more conservative about what I'm doing.

If you plan on continuing this thread then I will be an avid reader.

Many thanks, +Rep and good luck out there.

Bob

What more to say than great post. +rep :)

When I played poker I kept records obsessively, and I wanted to do less work and have more fun in EU, so I deliberately chose to take a more easy-going approach.
:ahh:

To make a conservative, accurate, and simple calculation, I use TT value only. The markup on non-L items is like investment money - it may rise or fall, but until the investment is sold it's just speculation. I don't include skills for the same reason. I simply copied my inventory into a spread sheet and totaled it up. Since my inventory contains all the loot from the last cycle, this figure does not include the markup on items I am about to sell off. This is the most conservative possible calculation.

Boy, have i got a great link for you: Entropia Tools inventory calculator. There are others similar to this. I'm not sure which one is the best, but for tt value, this one works great.

Thanks for the thoughtful, well-stated post.

Adventuring

In my sample hunts I talked about standard hunts - those that start and end at a certain TP, or sometimes run from one TP to another nearby. (i.e. Huting Molisks from Fort Medussa to Limnadian District)

Even with a wide variety of hunts, it can get repetitive. This is where another aspect of my style comes in - adventuring. In the beginning this meant running Eudoria TP's, often without armor and weapons. Later it meant exploring a new area between two TP's, with ammo and probes and bombs to see what I'd find, seeking out new areas to hunt and mine. Then came running some of the long distance TPs' on Amethera, now with ammo, probes, and bombs. Shinnook Jungle to Segna Forrest was particularly fun, killing what I could and avoiding the giant scary things. Here the main goal was to get TP's, and maybe bet a little lucky along the way. I would go back later and scope out around TP's that did not seem too dangerous for regular hunting/mining runs.

Last week I was feeling a bit restless, and also annoyed at the one thing missing from my map - PVP2, as well as the outposts between there and Twin Peaks. Now I don't like to have too much info ahead of time - it's more exciting that way, but I do at least take a good look at a map on entropedia or elsewhere. Unlike the Amethera TP's, I chose not to write down any co-ordinates, after all, I'm better armed and skilled these days, and with a TP chip, I won't get trapped at any outpost.

I left Twins with all of my regular guns - (Opalo, Breer M1a, Riker UL1, Isis LR32), about 6k in medium cells, and 20-30 bombs and probes, wearing my Gnome 3a combo and carrying my Shogun 3b just because.

I've hunted all directions out of Twins except to the east, so I was into new territory almost from the beginning. I didn't have a definite plan as to returning or running through to Nymphtown, or if I would go to the rig or not - I just wanted a better map.

It was a rough start. First I ran into a Daikiba Stalker and had to give it a try. I got my self killed, but had my revenge, only to have it be a no looter :laugh:, oh well - off again. I got further east and popped a few Longu Old and Mature, so I tired a Provider.... and ended up back in Twins. This was not going well, but undaunted I set off again - determined not to get bogged down hunting too much.

Things went much better. I got past the point of my second death and switched into my Shogun to better deal with the Atrax, and I stayed away from the Armax Bulls - I already learned that those bastards hit hard. With more info I would have found the first Outpost right away, but since I headed up onto the Tantillion Plateau a bit too soon I missed it.

I waded into one crowd of Tants for grins, then moved further east. Now that I was well away I started mining a bit along more, as all I found closer to Twins had been Oil and Lyst. It wasn't long before I saw my first spider - I kept well clear, but it is always kind of fun seeing new mob's for the first time.

I had some good luck with some bombs - lots of Caldorite - until I used them all up. As chance would have it, I soon came up on the Outpost SW of PVP2. Not only did I know I was getting close , but I could pick up a few more bombs, too.

Just west of the Outpost were numerous Amrax, Molisk and Exarosaur. I hit a nice 35 pedder on a Molisk Gatherer that cheered me up considerably, and kept on heading East and North. PVP2 was a bit of letdown - not much to look at, and more Lyst :(.

I had an out of the blue PM for advice from a Ava I had bought some sweat from a while back. After answering a few questions and resting a bit, I decided I didn't feel much like heading for the rig, and so figured now was a good a time as any to visit the extreme SE of the continent.

I continued across the bottom third of PVP2 and into some prettier, hilly terrain just outside of the PVP zone. I never saw a single green dot. In fact, I hadn't since I was on the Tantillion Plateau. I ran into some Drones, and was destroying some of them when I got attacked by rock. OK, it was a Morsusilex, and I could kill it pretty easily. Later I checked Entropedia and it seems these creatures are only found in this remote corner of Eudoria.

Thinking about how far it was going back to Twins, I decided to try to make it to Nymphtown. My ammo was running low, but wtf :laugh:. I did catch a glimpse of the ocean before heading North, when I started running into dense spawns of Bots and Rocks and assorted other mobs. I found myself trapped on a pointy hilltop, running out of ammo, and swarmed. Death (mine) was in the air, delivered courtesy of a big Rock. :eek:

Dying in remote areas is always a bit of a thrill - wondering where I will revive. (Yes, I know there are zone maps, but that's not as much fun) To my surprise, I was back out the Outpost SW of PVP2 - time to change plans again.

I got a bit more ammo, not too much because it was getting late, and having less would keep me moving, and started running back towards Twins. The bright side of this development was the chance to pick up that Outpost I missed on the way out. I found it the way I find most Outposts - dying yet again. I was on the plateau and was popping a few Tants, and just after getting an Alpha, and Old Alpha came running and proceeded to deliver a critical first hit. :silly2:

When I stepped out of the Shop Container at the Outpost (having achieved my goal at last) I realized I was just a couple hundred meters from where I ascended the plateau on my trek East. The trip back was uneventful, and I ran to within 1 lesser jump of Twins and TP's into town. :cool:

No, I didn't profit, but my losses were not too big in the end, and my Map was complete - save a few Outposts here or there, and I'd seen a whole new chunk of this crazy world.

Time to settle down and get back to something comfortable, knowing I still have many places to explore on Calypso. Someday soon, (I've been waiting for a nice HOF) I'll get myself to CND, and eventually CP, and when it arrives SPACE!

Any good story should have a moral, so here goes: If you're bored doing what your doing - try something new. After all its the journey, not the destination, that counts. :D

Miles

WARNING - LONG POST

Quite a few people have asked me for information about what and where to hunt. There is a third key part that no one has asked about – how much to hunt.

<SNIP>

These are just a small sample of the hunting runs I do, or have done, but EU is a big place. Explore and you will find lots different areas to hunt, and some favorite areas of your own. The variety keeps things interesting, and even the places that don’t suit you now may come into play for you later, when you are ready.

Miles

Man. That is amazing. I've been reading (off and on) about hunting on EF for almost two years now, and this may possibly be the very best post I've ever seen on the subject. :wtg: m8! +rep, etc. I can't believe the shortness of your longevity bar!

Thanks especially for a) the money-managment strategy which made me :laugh: (going for broke), b) the idea of having a goal, as well as good examples of your goals, and c) demonstrating how much ammo you expect to spend to reach those goals. Your approach is excellent!

Also, thanks for sharing some very nice hunting spots I had not heard of. :)

Blog Warning

I started a blog... :eek:

... called Get Miles

Miles

Yeah this post helped put into perspective of what I hope to attain and how. It showed me that I don't have to try as hard as I have been these past few weeks. I'm new to the game and the wealth of info online has been overwhelming and caused me to try alot of different weapon combos and ideas that was just not for me. Now I know what I want to do and after reading this post is has helped me in where I should hunt with the weapon combos I'm using.

I think I tried to get so far so quickly and wasn't being patient. Now I have used alot of Peds to figure things out that someone new who has read a post like this can figure out in a few mins.. =)

Thanks for the info and ideas.

This is quite an old thread, but you're right to assert that is has some very useful guiding principals. There is so much useful information within Entropia Forum, and not all of it has been written today. By finding this I'm sure you'll have helped someone else out.

True today as it was then, maybe more so with loot and the world economy where it's at.

There are megatons of information in this forum, especially in the guides. But this has to be one of the awesomest threads I've run into. The storytelling is great, makes for a compelling read, but the advice laced throughout is quite valuable for me, because his playing style is a lot like mine. There's plenty of information on tools, weapon and mob stats around, but playing style is a bit more elusive. I think I learn better from reading about other people's adventures, because it gives me tips on what would work for me.

So anyway, just a post to express my appreciation for this thread, and to give it a little bump for others like me who might be looking for a little inspiration.

Back