Suggestion: Bring back TP-runs!

Would you like to see TP-runs back ingame?

• Yes

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
Society
Shaolin
Goose Mad Hunter
Hey guys! Thought i should share this to see how other people feel.
I would love to see TP-runs back ingame. Now I'm sure all the oldies reading will remember what I'm talking about but for anybody who has joined us since the introduction of vehicles, i will give a quick explanation...

Before vehicles, new players had to gather all new teleporters on foot. This would be quite difficult alone, as there would often be many hungry and aggressive mobs along the path. So this led to the formation of community organised events known as "TP-Runs", in which more experienced players would come together to guide and guard a group of new players from attacking mobs, on their way through the wilderness to various teleporters.
This led to a lot of great social and community interaction for new players. It was a chance for new players to meet other new players, meet more experienced players, join societies, learn new things, fire a few shots at bigger mobs in team, and of course just have lots of fun!

I think this would be of great benefit to the new user experience! A simple way to re-implement this, would be to add a mission to obtain a vehicle license. This license would then allow you to access a vehicle. Passing the mission would involve running on foot to various TPs across the continent...

So... what you guys think?

I like this idea a lot and the implementation with a vehicle license, I feel, is a great way to incentivize the activity. The days of having to do TP runs were really fun and I'd love to do it again! You also made a great point about the social interaction and getting new players more engaged during what can be a hard time to get on ones feet. Even MA would benefit from the runs since there isn't only a small amount of oil burned but rather PED cycling on mobs along the way. I vote yes!

Completely agree that you should not be allowed to use vehicles if you dont have either licences or some kind of skills. :)

Would be a great thing to aim for when you are new.

I also am for it, make it that you can have a someone in the seat with then pilot unless they have a caly flight lisence and have to get a set of tps. My fondest memories of pre vu10 was to runs with the EU outcasts xD

Toulan used to have a no vehicle policy but that got reverted... because apparently folks like being able to use vehicles to get around. Maybe someday a new planet partner will leave it vehicle-less. Since Toulan is now under new management team from Monria... well, make a suggestion to them to revert it back again.

Half of the original story the Toulan NPCs are involved in involved finding the city on top of the mountain in North East side of map.. simply flying over there kind of spoils the original joy and fun of getting there... Monria has a cave system where you cannot do vehicles, so it'd make sense to stick with that sort of theme...

Toulan used to have a no vehicle policy but that got reverted... because apparently folks like being able to use vehicles to get around. Maybe someday a new planet partner will leave it vehicle-less. Since Toulan is now under new management team from Monria... well, make a suggestion to them to revert it back again.

Half of the original story the Toulan NPCs are involved in involved finding the city on top of the mountain in North East side of map.. simply flying over there kind of spoils the original joy and fun of getting there... Monria has a cave system where you cannot do vehicles, so it'd make sense to stick with that sort of theme...

Hey mate. I'm not sure if you read the full post, but I'm certainly not calling for the removal of vehicles. Simply a beginner "tp-run" mission to unlock access to them

What if it were tied into the mentoring process? I'm so weary of hearing " I signed them on as my mentor then never saw them again".

My first day in Entropia I was Invited to a TP run by my Mentor to Neas so I/we could collect sweat.

So many unique things to see on the ground you miss while flying. Like Globals and HOF's :)

I'd be willing to volunteer to do this when I am on Caly, it can be daunting for new players to get TPs.

Old School TP runs were a great way to learn the game, vehicles killed this. But it was not the only cause, MA removing the ability for players to place items randomly in game meant treasure hunts were also killed. This was supposedly removed to improve lag, well it succeeded, the lag is much more common now (sarcasm intended)
But to all new players I strongly advise you explore on foot as much as possible, solo, team or organised tp runs, you will learn so much more. You will learn to find fruit and stones along the way, where mobs are (you rarely even see them when flying over them unless you are terrain hugging) and which can be approached without aggro (very handy for a miner to learn).

Proper organised TP runs also give an opportunity to learn from the experienced player/organisers , learning about weapon types and alternatives to just 'biggest gun syndrome' when to use armour and damage types.
We often made friends we still have years later and much of the cooperative attitudes carried over into societies also.
Now we all go there by vehicle or tp chip, we don't get stuck and need help (at least not often) and the game has become far more a bunch of individuals rather than being team/soc oriented.

If MA had only had the foresight to see that vehicle license rights should have been earned, through mentorship or mission
that the licences should have been say 3 stage, (Basic jeep or hoverpod, other planet bound vehicles then finally space capable) and you could not own a vehicle above your licence level (but could ride in one), the missions would in themselves perhaps needed tp running and helped players to learn the game
But sadly it is probably too late to introduce that now.

But please MA if considering adding major changes in the future (space...sighs) could you please consider that earned rights and abilities can make things interesting as well as adding the potential for new missions and rewards

I loved doing TP runs (actually running) back in the day when I started in 2006.

I even joined a massive TP-run with Simon The Guide and Emma. It was a blast!!

Sadly we live in a different era now than back then. People are a lot more lazy. MA would unfortunately never do this simply for the fact it will mean that it will take longer at least in the beginning to earn more revenue also because people will get bored when they can't go to places fast.

I loved doing TP runs (actually running) back in the day when I started in 2006.

I even joined a massive TP-run with Simon The Guide and Emma. It was a blast!!

Sadly we live in a different era now than back then. People are a lot more lazy. MA would unfortunately never do this simply for the fact it will mean that it will take longer at least in the beginning to earn more revenue also because people will get bored when they can't go to places fast.

Great point and I had thought about that too. That MindArk would prefer people buying vehicles and spending money asap. However my argument would be that its hard to put a price tag on a great social experience for a new user in which they interact with the community. This is the kinda stuff that people stick around for imo...

Great point and I had thought about that too. That MindArk would prefer people buying vehicles and spending money asap. However my argument would be that its hard to put a price tag on a great social experience for a new user in which they interact with the community. This is the kinda stuff that people stick around for imo...
Thing is people are so accustomed to vehicles the majority of players won't do TP runs by running. They'll take on disciples and fly them to the teleporters/to mission where the disciple can get the 'vehicle pass' and I don't see how MA can detect that either.
Nothing stopping us from doing TP runs with no vehicles either. If we wanna give a taste to newcomers how it was like and also try to get some nostalgia feeling. Nobody forcing people to use vehicles, they just do because it's easy/faster than running.

The mobile app/gacha industry indicates that people actually prefer the bolded part of your quote. People like quick boosts to skirt annoyances in games. I would argue that if Mindark had "entry packs" that allowed people to quick skill to particular levels within the game (including 100+ for a particular profession for say $10000), it would be more popular than one would realize. Right or wrong, don't underestimate people's impatience.

Thing is people are so accustomed to vehicles the majority of players won't do TP runs by running. They'll take on disciples and fly them to the teleporters/to mission where the disciple can get the 'vehicle pass' and I don't see how MA can detect that either.
Nothing stopping us from doing TP runs with no vehicles either. If we wanna give a taste to newcomers how it was like and also try to get some nostalgia feeling. Nobody forcing people to use vehicles, they just do because it's easy/faster than running.
I don't think it would be too difficult to implement. An easy enough bit of code to say you cannot enter a vehicle without having this license/pass in inventory. That way players would need to collect the TPs by foot.

But that's another good point, that we could organize runs now if we wanted to! lol

You better think about how to get MA to make the game better, so that new players come here and stay here. And you suggest making life even more difficult. MA's only interested in money, and they don't care about us.

There are 2 fundamental types of players , the want it all and want it now, hand me it on a plate or let me buy it, and those that actually want to learn the game and enjoy the journey.
The first group may spend money faster at the start but will most likely be the quitters, as in their rush to become uber they wont learn the basics and understand the game, they will lose ped and they will either need to re-assess or more likely quit
The second group may spend much less at the start, but learn the game and will ultimately be better players and will be the ones the game truly retains.
MA actually need to understand player retention is not about instant gratification, it is about building a sense of achievement.
Vehicles, skill buffs, and even codex, are all aimed at making people feel good faster. I am not yet convinced this is the right long term path this game needs

Back