Buying CPU

TheRock

Elite
Society
Pain Incoming
TheRock
Hi.

Im looking to buy a CPU either i5 6600k or i7 6700k

I would like to know if it been or is overclocked and how long it been used.

Payment can be via:

- Bank
- PayPal
- PEDs in game (will give extra if used this).

Write here or PM me for more details kindly.

Yours,

just buy new one

just buy new one

yah def man just buy a new one. Plus hardware does degregate with time. You dont wanna get a used one that might crap out within a couple years.

a new desktop you should get at least 10 yeears out of it....

example: my video card died after 7 years... had to get a new card. It was just due to wear and tear.

I bought an old amd cpu that also were used and still running. I don't usually overclock and hardware lasts long to forever with me.

If someone have one for sale, I would buy, why not.

The 6000 series intel chips are current gen chips, so at most they are just below a year old.

Alot will depend on what sort of cooling was used. A CPU run hot (while overclocked or not) will have more "wear"(electron migration, etc) then a CPU run cool (again, regardless of overclocking status).

Personally I have run stuff overclocked, and I have run stuff at rated clock speeds. But I always have sufficient cooling, so they tend to last a loooong time.

Good luck getting a decent 2nd hand CPU.

The 6000 series intel chips are current gen chips, so at most they are just below a year old.

Alot will depend on what sort of cooling was used. A CPU run hot (while overclocked or not) will have more "wear"(electron migration, etc) then a CPU run cool (again, regardless of overclocking status).

Personally I have run stuff overclocked, and I have run stuff at rated clock speeds. But I always have sufficient cooling, so they tend to last a loooong time.

Good luck getting a decent 2nd hand CPU.

Thanks!

I do have NH-D14 cooler. This will do the job I think :)

buy a Xeon, is fast enought to play games and even developing games.
Intel - Xeon E3 1231

Intel - Xeon E3 1231

That one is for Socket 1150.

My MB is 1151 :/

yah def man just buy a new one. Plus hardware does degregate with time. You dont wanna get a used one that might crap out within a couple years.

a new desktop you should get at least 10 yeears out of it....

example: my video card died after 7 years... had to get a new card. It was just due to wear and tear.

Not the degrading thing, these days things last very long and in good health as long as you dont overclock or go over the top with it, i havent had anything die on me besides disks and recently a PSU because of some electricity peaks here.

Depending on what you buy, investment range and such, you can get something to last you 2-3 years or way more depending what kind of range you sit at, recently i got gtx970, like a year ago and i see it still being good enough for upcoming games in high settings for the next 2 years and should work for the next 5 without a problem

Intel - Xeon E3 1231

xeon is a server cpu mostly, for gaming only, (if not live stream and such) i5 would do the job perfectly.

I just said buy new cos that is the current gen, and not like you gonna find one at half the price, unless someone is that silly, if it was a older gen, i'd understand buying 2nd hand

Intel - Xeon E3 1231

Choosing a Xeon CPU for gaming is actually a bad advice. Yes, it will work just "fine", but in general they will perform much slower for gaming because they in general have much slower RAM bandwidth throughput than the Intel i-core series have. In many cases memory bandwidth can be twice or even three times as fast in an i-core that on a Xeon.

Thanks Elite and Paulo for the input.

I do believe people would still sell if the price is right.
Here I see on the used marked the price is 20-40% lower than what a newly bought CPU costs.

Still looking for one!

4 logical cores is more then enough for gaming and you only need 2 for EU. If you are not doing anything fun like 10gbe with sfp+ nic's, running a VM at the same time, streaming, any cpu with 4 logical cores is just fine for every game on the market.

I kinda just skimmed over the posts in this thread and seen Xeon a few times. Don't buy a Xeon go with a I3, I5, I7, series CPU they have much higher clock speeds with respect to cost and you do not need 8, 16, 32, cores. All my servers have dual Xeons 24 cores in each system, triple channel memory, one with 192GB of ram, and my 6700K would destroy them in gaming performance. Most games can't use more then 2 cores some beading edge triple A titles will push past 2 cores but they all tend to favor higher clock speeds over core count.

A great gaming system for any game is a high clock speed 4 logical core CPU, 8GB ram, and then spend every last cent on the video card. Get a good PSU also 550-650 watts is more then good enough. You will crush games at 1280 and even do well at 1440, use a GTX1080 and you can rock 4k easy.

Xeons cost a lot so some people think they are good and they are good but not for this job. It like comparing a pick up truck to a MCLaren. If the goal is to move 500kg of dirt you want the truck, but if you want to chop a fart cannon packing Honda you want the MCLaren eh.

Edit:
I forgot to say skip over fast ram if you have a video card it wont have any meaningful impact in gaming you are better off to get value ram and have more money for the video card.

Last edited:
Hey Aeris. Very good info there.

What exactly are 10gbe with sfp+ nic's?

Hey Aeris. Very good info there.

What exactly are 10gbe with sfp+ nic's?

SFP is short for small Form factor Pluggable search this item number on eBay 192048455316 that's a pcie X4 card you can use transceivers plugged in to the back of the card with fiber optic cable or cat6a and cat7 cable or direct attached copper cables that have the transceivers built in to the cable "active cables" for 10 gigabit Ethernet connections.

Pcie card 192048455316
Transceiver 272109510672
Direct attached copper cable 271444892095
sfp+ swtich 122232058617

you can find it all for less I just took the first correct eBay item in the search.

Most people don't need 10gbe home networking but in a small office where you could have a few people accessing large files on a central file server you would benefit from that server having a 10gbe connection to a switch with gigabit ports as apposed to just a gigabit switch. Or in my case I have servers who run VM's from a local storage system with 10gbe connections to that server on a separate network. Doing that though you have to make changes in the host file to direct each system to use the 10gbe network to access the file server.

sfp+ can really tax systems though. It will use up pcie lanes and CPU resources and just because a MOBO has 6 PCIE X16 slots does not mean that the CPU has enough lanes to support them all at 3.0. Most I series of Intel CPU's have a limited number of PCIE lanes. Make sure to look at the number of available lanes and generation on the CPU first.

a cheap two system setup are the following eBay item numbers 391459428428 X2 and one 331979638999. Remember if you still have them connected to a gigabit network like for internet you have to edit the host file.

Oh and 99% of the time you cannot mix and match component brands. It takes lots of reading to make sure things are compatible its not like normal home user plug and play gigabit networking. Its more like plug and pray.

Edit:!
and SFP and SFP+ are not the same,

Last edited:
4 logical cores is more then enough for gaming and you only need 2 for EU. If you are not doing anything fun like 10gbe with sfp+ nic's, running a VM at the same time, streaming, any cpu with 4 logical cores is just fine for every game on the market.

I kinda just skimmed over the posts in this thread and seen Xeon a few times. Don't buy a Xeon go with a I3, I5, I7, series CPU they have much higher clock speeds with respect to cost and you do not need 8, 16, 32, cores. All my servers have dual Xeons 24 cores in each system, triple channel memory, one with 192GB of ram, and my 6700K would destroy them in gaming performance. Most games can't use more then 2 cores some beading edge triple A titles will push past 2 cores but they all tend to favor higher clock speeds over core count.

A great gaming system for any game is a high clock speed 4 logical core CPU, 8GB ram, and then spend every last cent on the video card. Get a good PSU also 550-650 watts is more then good enough. You will crush games at 1280 and even do well at 1440, use a GTX1080 and you can rock 4k easy.

Xeons cost a lot so some people think they are good and they are good but not for this job. It like comparing a pick up truck to a MCLaren. If the goal is to move 500kg of dirt you want the truck, but if you want to chop a fart cannon packing Honda you want the MCLaren eh.

Edit:
I forgot to say skip over fast ram if you have a video card it wont have any meaningful impact in gaming you are better off to get value ram and have more money for the video card.

Thats your opinion about Xeon.

The E13 Xeon with 4 core / 8 threads is near same as a I7, but without the onboard grafic. None need onboard grafic, if they are using a GC! it is also running with 3.4 ghz.

Now the main reason, why i bought a Xeon cpu is that it cost 120$ less as the I7. (2015)

I use this system now since 12 months, and i be creating unreal engine games with this setup, to the same time as i be running AFK ep crafting in EU.

So why not buy a a Xeon cpu, if it is cheaper, and the power is high enough? A lot gamer using Xeon systems.

You are right, to save a lot money for buy a good GC, but some forget, that all Computer controlled creatures are CPU hungry.

I see that by developing games. The more AI controlled models are into a level, the more it is using cpu. Oh and it also fill up Ram :) So, to tell ppl using low Ram is bad Idea. Fast Ram is always not a bad thing, especial if you use the PC also for other things as gaming alone.

To find the best system, you exactly need to know, what you want do with the system. And then search the best/cheapest parts.

Last edited:
Since Intel started some "pre sales" of there new gen 7700k cpu last week here i think the 6000 serie will go down in price when the CPU is for sale in all stores, i think some time in Januari.

Also AMD release some new CPU very soon.

I am waiting for Z270 motherboards and 7700K, will also look on AMD but they use to be very bad.

Since Intel started some "pre sales" of there new gen 7700k cpu last week here i think the 6000 serie will go down in price when the CPU is for sale in all stores, i think some time in Januari.

Also AMD release some new CPU very soon.

I am waiting for Z270 motherboards and 7700K, will also look on AMD but they use to be very bad.

I used a very long time only AMD cpu's, about they was cheaper and faster as Intel. But since near 3 Years, the problems with AMD cpu's made me change to use Intel.

I used a very long time only AMD cpu's, about they was cheaper and faster as Intel. But since near 3 Years, the problems with AMD cpu's made me change to use Intel.

I´m not only talking about the speed AMD is lack of last years, but also the security on the CPU.
When a fan break on a AMD chip it might get up in smoke, it did for me, cpu fan broke and i had smoke and the chip was dead.
Intel shut down and i have never been able to break a intel chip ever, even with broken Water AIO coolers, computer just shutdown and nothing is hurt.

Thats your opinion about Xeon.

The E3-1275 you have only scores 8349 on passmark, 20 2.0 lanes, and cost around 400CAD used
The i7 6700k scores 11067, 16 3.0 lanes, uses much less power and cost 450CAD new.

What you have is a work station CPU and that's fine to play games its just not as cost effective, power efficient, or capable of the compute performance of a 6700k. It cannot be over clocked, I have my 6700K at 4.8. The I series of processors are really made for things like gaming where Xeon are not.

This is what I was talking about when I was comparing the truck and the sports car. Both can drive on the road, both can pack shit around, both can race. But they are not the same, they where each made for specific jobs.

Its not about just an opinion, I'm right.

The E3-1275 you have only scores 8349 on passmark, 20 2.0 lanes, and cost around 400CAD used
The i7 6700k scores 11067, 16 3.0 lanes, uses much less power and cost 450CAD new.

What you have is a work station CPU and that's fine to play games its just not as cost effective, power efficient, or capable of the compute performance of a 6700k. It cannot be over clocked, I have my 6700K at 4.8. The I series of processors are really made for things like gaming where Xeon are not.

This is what I was talking about when I was comparing the truck and the sports car. Both can drive on the road, both can pack shit around, both can race. But they are not the same, they where each made for specific jobs.

Its not about just an opinion, I'm right.

400 CAD = 308 CHF

I'm not using E 1275, I use E 1231 with have a passmark of :9629

I bought it for 240 chf in 2015 if I7 was 380 chf and up. I know that a Xeon is more for workstation. I told it is important to know, what you want do with the system. I use my system also as workstation, not only for gaming. I also don't touch overclocking about some reasons. For me, the Xeon chip was exactley the right CPU i was looking for, otherwise i would not bought it :)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-6700K+@+4.00GHz

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E3-1231+v3+@+3.40GHz

Price different = 160 USD
I7 TDP = 95 W
Xeon = 80 W

Last edited:
Personally I don't recommend Xeon for gaming either. No doubt it's a good chip, but in terms of gaming purposes Xeon's are usually beaten by the I5s, I7s.

Xeon is good for work stuff, especially since you can use ECC Ram with them.

As for AMD, the newest Zen (Ryzen) chips look very promising. Of course if you can't wait for the release of that chip, you may not have a choice. Looks like Ryzen is competitive against current gen I7s and they are usually much cheaper then Intel chips and tend to have more functionality (in terms of PCIE lanes, etc). After all they dragged Intel into 64 bit computing (ignoring the itanium from Intel), lol.

All my pass few PCs have been running on AMD, although recently I am using laptops more often (usually Intel chips).

Personally I don't recommend Xeon for gaming either. No doubt it's a good chip, but in terms of gaming purposes Xeon's are usually beaten by the I5s, I7s.

Xeon is good for work stuff, especially since you can use ECC Ram with them.

As for AMD, the newest Zen (Ryzen) chips look very promising. Of course if you can't wait for the release of that chip, you may not have a choice. Looks like Ryzen is competitive against current gen I7s and they are usually much cheaper then Intel chips and tend to have more functionality (in terms of PCIE lanes, etc). After all they dragged Intel into 64 bit computing (ignoring the itanium from Intel), lol.

All my pass few PCs have been running on AMD, although recently I am using laptops more often (usually Intel chips).

Yes, i ever told i7 is faster, just a bit :) but you also consume more power, and you pay more for the chip.
For play a game like EU you really don't need a I7. Also Xeon is to fast, if you just look for eco play in highest settings.

Yup, new AMD's looking interesting.

Getting the i7 afterall.

Thanks for the hot inputs all :wise:

Back