News: Calypso Gateway

Very nice article. There hasn't been much news in EF lately, and It's been certainly refreshing to see a new article. :)

Thanks heaps for posting MS9. :D Very well done :)

Posted via NW's Entropia Utilities

Last edited:
Nice write-up MS9! :)
(And Baradur, I love the header!)

We're not done with the Gateway yet, more missions and information will be added to the area in order to complete the experience. :)

We're not done with the Gateway yet, more missions and information will be added to the area in order to complete the experience. :)
Good to hear Hanne. Thou you fixed some issues new ones crept up & therefore I had to keep changing the information for people, there where even some stuff I found out I had no idea how to solve; one example would be someone logged out when they had started the hunting mission then when they came back their rookie stuff was gone :eek:. I agree with all of MS9's suggestions there is no "go here" or "do this first" signs. They need to know what to do first and where to go, like some sort of streaming video on a monitor?. Ty for fixing the sweating bug :D. Also if you havent fixed the mining bug at least warn people to go out 100 metres away from the entrance door, or have a mining marker like you do for the hunting ones. Would have a lot less people crying about 4/5 bombs you gave them registering for the mission. If not to also lower the rate of decay on those blasted guns...they run out super quick, even if you do give them 2 guns imo they are not enough. I could probably go on and on about what tweaks you could do, but these are the main ones. Shame we won't get to see the other missions you will add after its official launch :( but overall I was impressed so well done FPC.

Dancing on top of a jeep is DEFINITELY the way everyone should end their trip! :laugh: Got into a long phone call and didn't feel like logging out so I hopped up on the jeep and did the pogo dance for about an hour. Funny that made the video, but totally rad :yay:

Really good article too! I thought you did a good job highlighting some of the potential issues that a new player might face. It was tough for me as well to put myself in the shoes of a newcomer trying to understand it all.

Actually ... I ended my first trip walking the beach and taking an underwater swim. Catching an underwater sunset was rather cool with the effects. However, when I saw you doing the Pogo on top of the Hummer, I just couldn't resist putting the video camera in motion. I'm always looking for a way to end my videos, and that seemed to fit at the time. :D

I agree ... pretending not to know stuff about Calypso as a seasoned citizen is difficult, because everything becomes second nature and we seem to become removed from the virginity of it all. Once we've learned the ropes, there's an understanding you can't erase, so there is a definite conscious focus while going through the Calypso Gateway. However, seasoned players are also adept at picking out what doesn't work and what should be implemented, so I'm glad FPC gave us the opportunity to experience this new endeavor. As Hanne said, there are still things they're going to do to tweak it all, and hopefully the suggestions that were made will be helpful input.

Credit where credit is due, very good job by MA to bring newcomers up to speed on the basics.

All they need to do is add a tutorial session on auction use, hotkey binding and depositing so our new OJ's are really ready to get rolling.

/Slupor

Agreed ... and while I'm known to be (constructively) vocal about what's not working, I also consider myself to be objective, and I will definitely give credit where credit is due. In this case, the Calypso Gateway is a smart move on FPC's part, and my hope is (as it is for others) that FPC will take to heart the suggestions many of us have made as a result of our experiences and enhance the newbie introductory experience to make it more efficient. This will give them a better start when they're ready to join the rest of us nutbars mainland. :D

Hehe i whas warned , but ye too late , oh well since i love Beer i gladly give you an round :D

See ... I told ya so ;) ... but it looks as though it's going to all work out in the end. :yay: Wonder if the Bossman is on vacation. :silly2:

Thanks Hanne ... and yes, Baradur did a great job on the graphic header. I give him a photo and an idea and he runs with it, adding his own creative flare. Good to hear that more is going to be done with the Calypso Gateway. It definitely needs to be a bit more comprehensive than what it is, but FPC is heading in the right direction with this one, so great job to all. I just wanna know who the pervert coder is ... does Marco moonlight? :D

Love the post MS9 :)

AS always very informative and thanks for sharing :)

C

I guess I'm stuck in my ways, so I wont hark to a day of simple pleasures and an expectation that an IQ below 10 actively & wilfully excludes the dross of society...

So yeah, it's very pretty and it's nice to see cogs turning in the FPC machine with relation to optimization/retaining the player base. It also looks like we're brainwashing the newbies into being nicely behaved agents of homeland commerce.

Great multimedia experience report MS9, a pleasure to read as always. It's said often, but never enough; We all very lucky to have people like you putting in considerable time and effort to enhance our experience - and that includes citizens such as myself, who are somewhat less active currently.

Hey there YOU ... not sure how I missed your post, but it's definitely appreciated. I'm not that active myself at the moment, or for a while even, and if I do become more active, it will most like only be from a media perspective. I don't hunt, mine, or craft any more, but if I were to engage in any of those, then it would only be the mining with TT equipment only.

As I've always said ... it's the community that does it for me, and I love reporting on what's happening in and around Calypso and elsewhere. With more planets coming into the mix (eventually), there will be more to write about. I may also engage in writing player profiles now and then again, but this is what I love doing most when it comes to our universe. So ya, multimedia it will be. ;)

Good to see you here btw! :D

Nice job MS9, you should get paid for this ;)

err.. my two pecs to the photo gallery ;)

Oh My Gosh!! You did this today? You insane person :laugh: I even see the local chat with me in it :rofl:. Great stuff, btw you gonna show us in a vid how u got up there :D?

Very nice article. There hasn't been much news in EF lately, and It's been certainly refreshing to see a new article. :)

Thanks heaps for posting MS9. :D Very well done :)

Posted via NW's Entropia Utilities

Well ... maybe not too much going on as far as MA/FPC is concerned, but there's always plenty happening in our community one way or another, you just have to look for it. At one time I thought about doing a "Weekly Dish" segment for the front page, but then got caught up IRL stuff. It would highlight what members of our community are up to. Maybe one day I'll go back to the drawing board and reconsider it.

err.. my two pecs to the photo gallery ;)

Well now ... that's quite an achievement. :eek: Would be interesting to find out how you did that. :D

Love the post MS9 :)

AS always very informative and thanks for sharing :)

C

Well hello there "C" ... always nice when you pop in now and then. Hope all is well with you, and ... thank you! :hug:

Nice job MS9, you should get paid for this ;)

Thanks ... I've been a virtual volunteer for over 5 years in this universe now, and as long as I'm having fun and the community appreciates it, then it's all good. ;)

Thank you MS9! :)
Great article again! :)

A proper starting point for new players has been missing fo so long, good job FPC. :)

As always, a very nice article from MS9! :)

Cheers :beerchug:

Thank you MS9! :)
Great article again! :)

Thanks Lars ... been a while since I've seen you ... hope all is well with CRT ... are you guys still pretty active with your rescue missions? It's such a great service that you provide for the community, and I'm sure it's appreciated. ;)

A proper starting point for new players has been missing fo so long, good job FPC. :)

As always, a very nice article from MS9! :)

Cheers :beerchug:

Hello, hello, hello :wave: ... ALWAYS good to run into you here Hon, AND in-world of course, but that's a bit rare because of our time differences, not to mention I've been AWOL more than not. Nice to see you're keeping up the tradition with the MS9 ... I hope since I'm a bit more in the environment now our paths might meet again one day soon, and maybe I'll have a surprise waiting for ya. :D

pure intentional accident :D
I love heights so just couldn't help it

the outlook is great so I suggest MA create a lift up there and make it an observation deck, that would be impressive for the newcomers

:laugh: ... pure intentional accident ... I like that, I'll have to use that some time when I get myself in trouble. :D I think an observation deck would be cool, but then we wouldn't be able to enjoy it ... it would all be for the newbies. They have a better bar than we have, so I say let them climb a big hill for observation. :silly2: Nice job on your pure intentional accident though! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Top work MS9:clap:

It gave me a good feel of the place even though ive yet to get back in game after to many weeks away....makes we want to log in for a look :wtg::D

Awesome news story, MS9, as always ;) And I absolutely love the picturework! :lolup:

As you see I also went up there - my view was from a little other perspective though, nevertheless, I find the place great and can see it develope in future aswell.

:)

make them work for it

Here’s a little suggestion. I think it would be more appropriate and would heighten the spirit of adventure, if there wasn’t any TP from the arrival area to the continent.

After training, the new arrivals could be told that they must leave in a… let’s say Easterly direction and swim until they see a beacon on the horizon… that would be the location of Port Atlantis.

Don’t make it too easy… let them swim for about 15 to 30 minutes, with only a beacon and the hint of mountains in the distance… one could even put a few little sandy islands in their way, to keep the interest alive… in other words, make them work for it.

I like the WAY you're thinking and agree with you in principle - it should be obvious to players that there's far more to the game than just the island.

But I think you gotta be careful with a newbie. You don't want to set them swimming and then have them go "this is crap, I give up" and quit after 15 minutes because it's boring...

Some middle ground where their mind is immediately blown by the sheer size of Calypso, and they begin to UNDERSTAND just how little they know about it, thus inspiring the desire to stay and learn about it, is the best middle ground, I think.

Top work MS9:clap:

It gave me a good feel of the place even though ive yet to get back in game after to many weeks away....makes we want to log in for a look :wtg::D

Oh good ... and thanks ... I hope you get to experience it before they close it down to us. Marco said they may do the update either Tuesday or Wednesday. It's worth the trip if you can make it. ;)

Awesome news story, MS9, as always ;) And I absolutely love the picturework! :lolup:

As you see I also went up there - my view was from a little other perspective though, nevertheless, I find the place great and can see it develope in future aswell.

:)

Hey 'gurl'friend ... thanks a bunch ... and I read both of your articles at EP and they're cool ... I like the different perspective you took on your experiences. I agree too, I can see CG developing into something functional and efficient for newbies as a stepping stone toward joining us on the mainland. I'm just hoping that FPC took our suggestions to heart and will come up with something in their tweaking that will help train and educate the newbies before they head over to the big bad jungle. :D

Always nice running into you Hon :hug:

To Green Rowan and Tim ... interesting concept about make them work for it ... but I tend to agree with Tim regarding a long swim, or perhaps a too tedious and boring effort, so not really sure about how it could be implemented to add an element of interest, and perhaps anticipation, instead of detracting from it. Something to think about maybe. :D

well... one could spread the training about stuff (professions, code of conduct, RCE, warnings about scam techniquies etc) across a chain of islands... done with one, swimm to the next where something exciting awaits.

all this will bring the noob ever more closser to the continent... at the last island where on a giant screen a LONG promotional movie about Calypso runs, the PA beacon is visible on the horizon. swimming towards it, one passes a "point of no return" which makes the arival archipelago innacessible. from that point, one can go only forward.

Optionaly, on the last island, there could be a quiz thing running. if all is answered correctly, one could reward the noob with a symbolic little something (a gun with ammo that can be firered only 200 times before it breaks. let them shoot a few exa to get the taste of it, just enough to learn to want the loot...)

Last edited:
well... one could spread the training about stuff (professions, code of conduct, RCE, warnings about scam techniquies etc) across a chain of islands... done with one, swimm to the next where something exciting awaits.

all this will bring the noob ever more closser to the continent... at the last island where on a giant screen a LONG promotional movie about Calypso runs, the PA beacon is visible on the horizon. swimming towards it, one passes a "point of no return" which makes the arival archipelago innacessible. from that point, one can go only forward.

Optionaly, on the last island, there could be a quiz thing running. if all is answered correctly, one could reward the noob with a symbolic little something (a gun with ammo that can be firered only 200 times before it breaks. let them shoot a few exa to get the taste of it)

I like it ... and it makes it more interesting and exciting not knowing what's coming next. That's pretty creative, but not sure FPC would do something like that. Maybe it would be too complex a process :dunno: ... but I like it. :D

Hey 'gurl'friend ... thanks a bunch ... and I read both of your articles at EP and they're cool ... I like the different perspective you took on your experiences. I agree too, I can see CG developing into something functional and efficient for newbies as a stepping stone toward joining us on the mainland. I'm just hoping that FPC took our suggestions to heart and will come up with something in their tweaking that will help train and educate the newbies before they head over to the big bad jungle. :D

Always nice running into you Hon :hug:

... And it's always nice to see you sneak around on EP too :laugh:

Anyway, I just wish to add, that it's not only about making some tweakings up there (and I say it here because at least MA/FPC is reading this thread) - but it's also about the obvious bugs(I hope it's not 'dynamic features') which costs newbies money atm ;) I just want to make sure they already thought of that, because that place could be so awesome (and is in many ways - was laughing my butt off when I made the missions - very funny officers :D) if those "little" tweakings where adjusted too ... Marco :) ?

Oh I so agree that this is a really great thing. I think a few helpful hints screens would be just perfect to add there.

Screens about
- Societies
- Trading
- Real cash eco
- Movement
- Keymapping
- Sweating

Other than that its a wonderful environment for a new player to learn the game in! A+ FPC and a couple gold stars

I've visited Gateway yesterday and I'd like to share my ideas.
First of all I think it's a big improvememnt and people starting there would be more likely to stay in game a few more hours than back in the times when arrival zone was on Calypso and people were just transported to the heart of a crowded city without any hints at all.... Especialy at the times when disciple hunters were all over and people coming to the game were simply confised with what was going on. Gateway explains a lot and makes "birth" easier :)

I did enjoy the conversations. Some of them made me laugh. I like the graphics and the fact that caudatergus puny looks different from ordinary caudatergus. It's a show off island with great design, but there are problems there as well.

What I'd like to see changed is:

1. A short instruction about how to move would be nice unless that comes in a popping out window for new arrivals. Some basic info about: movement, inventory, skills information, pro stands and such
2. Add information about other terminals. There is something about revivals in the story said by a lonely guy at the bar, but after finishing the quests a new player will believe you get ammo, guns and tools from NPCs. There should be a short tutorial about TT, Repair (and limited items) and Storage. Something about auctions would make sense as well...
3. I missed healing option in hunting lessons. There would be nothing bad in giving out a few pec worth fap to the new commer so that he knows healing tools exist.
4. Mining lessons (I did not finish them, so no idea if that isn't there already) should explain that there are other resources than lysterium and that ordinary bombs cost 1ped each... Rookie bombs are cheaper and they make impression as if all the mining looked like that.
5. Before departue it would make sense to point out to the new commer that depositing makes start easy and explain what to do if you don't want to deposit (sweating, stones, fruit and dung)
6. Short information somewhere about planets and CND and CP would be nice. Explain what they are, what are they know for... sort of a short geographical tutorial with TP map visible and names of continents available. Maybe with possibility of choosing where do you want to start giving chances to pick any planet as starting point.

What has to be fixed is:
1. Bugs
2. Bugs
3. Look point one
Due to a bug I was unable to finish my mining lessons. I'm a miner and I'd like to have the license to mine. Now, when I don't have one, I will cause anarchy and mine unlicensed!
Another bug made it impossible for me to hand in fragments to the NPC collecting them.
Very annoying. If I was a new player and out of 4 quests I would not be able to complete 2 due to bugs I'd leave the game. Sorry :(

If I was a new player trying out a new game I'd:
1) Love the graphics and clothes of the NPCs. I'd be greatful for the short lessons. I'd enjoy funny conversations and I'd be intrigued to see what comes next and how the game looks like.
2) If I faced as many bugs as I did yesterday I'd most likely log out and never come back thinking all the game is full of bugs and made by people who don't care about fixing them...
3) I'd believe the game is based on single player quests not community interaction such as societies, trade and such

All to all I enjoyed visiting Gateway and I think new commers will have way easier start than we had back in the day. There's some work left to do for the developing team but it looks nice and it's a good idea :)
Fix it and get us fresh colonists!

I visted the gateway for the 1st time, I have only done the mining part so far. Here are my thoughts and these have been forwarded onto MA as well.
I tried to play the game as best as i could with a complete neewbie head.

spoke to genesis star rep, asked to collect some notes,

took too long to find as there was no idication to who i was to speak too. Needs some sort of
indicator above their heads to where and whom i speak too.

Most people will press "m" to bring up a map but very poor zoom ability on map too see where i was and where i need to go.

Finally figured out what was ment by the hub and colected and returned to form. I receaved my tools but
no idea how to use them or what to do with the mining tool.

Any new person whould not have a clue. there needs more indication or video tutorials intigrated into the system

the tools should only be given once you have been told what to do with them and how to use them.

got very basic insturction about how to use tools wich did not really help at all. Got told to run to the indicated area which was shown on the map for a very short period of time and then it disappeared.

it would have been more usefull to see the indicated area shown on the ground as well as on the map.
I would have dropp all mines in the same place if it had not been for berycled chasing me. I found loot on my very last drop which I think every one should get at least one drop too see how the system works fully.

explaination of how to equiped tools would have helped loads.

continued with the lessons and got to the mining lession 3, refining.
as I read through the quests i clicked the parts saying i cant find my refiner and rather than saying press "i" to bring up your inventory it i just got told to come back .

hows that going to help a new person?

rather than saying equip the refiner, more detailed text would help, like, right click the tool and select equiped and right click and select "use tool" from the menu would have been much better.

over all not a bad start, but by add more info like videos or images on how to do things would help greatly. explain what to with things before
giving people objects to play with. Adding tags or indicator to avatars that you are currently doing missions for in one colour and a different colour
indicator for those who have mission for you that you have not yet started.
Just need to add more information regarding how to do things etc would be a real benifit too all new comers

Nice article. The gateway was really nice and I think it will help the new players a lot.

As a brand new player who is still in the process of downloading the client, I was wondering if anyone knows if the Gateway has been opened to new players yet. I figure it would be best for me to wait to enter the world until after the Gateway is open.

Thanks.

As a brand new player who is still in the process of downloading the client, I was wondering if anyone knows if the Gateway has been opened to new players yet. I figure it would be best for me to wait to enter the world until after the Gateway is open.

Thanks.

Good question ... the Calypso Gateway has been open for just under a week now, and everyone from the planet has been able to explore and see what it's about. There were many things brought to the attention of the developers here at the forum, and from all indications, they will be doing an update this week most likely today (Tues) or tomorrow (Wed).

So ... my advice would be to wait until this week's update, unless it becomes delayed, because then you will have the added benefit of the fixes to things that needed tweaking and your experience will (hopefully) be more complete.

Also ... after this coming update, the general population on Planet Calypso will not have access to the Gateway, so new players will be on their own pretty much. We're hoping that there will be an expansion of information and direction to minimize or even eliminate any confusion with the missions. Personally, I think the process should take longer than it does for a more balanced experience.

At any rate ... it would be nice for you to come back here after you have had the experience to let us know what you think and what the experience was like. Good luck with your entry into Calypso. :D

Good question ... the Calypso Gateway has been open for just under a week now, and everyone from the planet has been able to explore and see what it's about. There were many things brought to the attention of the developers here at the forum, and from all indications, they will be doing an update this week most likely today (Tues) or tomorrow (Wed).

So ... my advice would be to wait until this week's update, unless it becomes delayed, because then you will have the added benefit of the fixes to things that needed tweaking and your experience will (hopefully) be more complete.

Also ... after this coming update, the general population on Planet Calypso will not have access to the Gateway, so new players will be on their own pretty much. We're hoping that there will be an expansion of information and direction to minimize or even eliminate any confusion with the missions. Personally, I think the process should take longer than it does for a more balanced experience.

At any rate ... it would be nice for you to come back here after you have had the experience to let us know what you think and what the experience was like. Good luck with your entry into Calypso. :D

Thanks for the quick response. I hate to wait but I think it would be best. Hopefully I will be able to tell when the update goes in

Back