FYI: Caution to Nvidia Users!!

Haxtor moogle

Prowler
Society
Benevolence
Haxtor Moogle Kupo
There seems to be a big problem with the latest NVidia Drivers!!

After a group of (other game) beta testers reported technical difficulties following the installation of NVIDIA driver update 196.75, Blizzard tech support found that the update introduced fan control problems that were causing video cards to overheat in 3D applications. "This means every single 3D application (i.e. games) running these drivers is going to be exposed to overheating and in some extreme cases it will cause video card, motherboard and/or processor damage. If said motherboard, processor or graphic card is not under warranty, some gamers are in serious trouble playing intensive games such as Prototype, World of Warcraft, Farcry 3, Crysis and many other games with realistic graphics." NVIDIA said they were investigating the problem, took down links to the new drivers, and advised users to revert to 196.21 until the problem can be fixed.

Slash dot article

funny thing i just installed those drivers yesterday and noticed problems immediately. now to fix my computer X_x

Thanks for this Moogle, I installed the latest drivers on Wednesday and I reacted to my fans being more noisy then normal. Will have to sort it out...!

Edit: Seems Nvidia's removed the driver from download as well.

learn to read the forum perhaps. Already a thread about it.

i installed the new drivers as soon as they were released, and have not noticed anything strange since then. as commented on the slashdot site, maybe only some models are affected. mine is 9800 GT.

but i guess it's safer to revert to the old driver version until the issue is fully confirmed.

lesson: never download/install new stuff immediatly, let others find the bugs.

i installed the new drivers as soon as they were released, and have not noticed anything strange since then. as commented on the slashdot site, maybe only some models are affected. mine is 9800 GT.
or possibly some have additional utilities that take over fan control.

but i guess it's safer to revert to the old driver version until the issue is fully confirmed.

check ur cards temp with gpu-z it's most likely higher than normal if u run a 3d app.

check ur cards temp with gpu-z it's most likely higher than normal if u run a 3d app.

Can you provide a link to this fan controller? And how reliable is this software?

I have a GT 220 card and as it is a new system i am testing i have my gpu and processor usage and temps showing at all times and i have not noticed any rises after installing 196.75.

I've been having problems for a while with my card and I'm still having problems with the reverted driver.

I keep getting distortion and flickering on my screen - the best way I can describe it is that it's like watching an old film reel that's worn and scratched.

Is this a sign of overheating?

And I wondered why my windows "recovered the graphics drivers from a problem" while running mad tracker....

No problems in 3D applications though........ great...1st PE goign to burn my card, now nvidia themselfs...congratz !

:yay: I guess people here have no background in computer troubleshooting at all. :D Also, dust is a major issue with ATI and nVidia that causes them to overheat and some extreme cases cought on fire :D

This is why gamers should use watercooling. Unless my pump fails or all my radiator fans fail, either of which would be pretty obvious, overheating is very unlikely.

It's always higher when run a "3d app", even with healthy drivers...

:rolleyes: :D

Can you provide a link to this fan controller? And how reliable is this software?
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ and it's not a fan controller, it just show ur cards data sort of. and the heat and such, and it's one of the most reliable ones. For fancontroll you could use rivatuner.
Use the second tab to see the heat.
I've been having problems for a while with my card and I'm still having problems with the reverted driver.

I keep getting distortion and flickering on my screen - the best way I can describe it is that it's like watching an old film reel that's worn and scratched.

Is this a sign of overheating?
Could be, check the temps with gpu-z
It's always higher when run a "3d app", even with healthy drivers...

:rolleyes: :D
well doh :p

:yay: I guess people here have no background in computer troubleshooting at all. :D Also, dust is a major issue with ATI and nVidia that causes them to overheat and some extreme cases cought on fire :D

and how is this comment relevant to the topic in this thread? the fact that the latest drivers have been pulled out from the nvidia official page must mean something, right? how is that related to people not having background in computer troubleshooting, or with... dust??? :D

These drivers killed my perfectly working 9800GX2. It was working fine, up until I installed the new drivers and then it BSOD.

A full reinstall later (twice, as it also did it the second time...I had not read about the drivers at this point...) and I tried to install other drivers. Nada. Card buggered...

Cant install any drivers for them now (error 43) and the bios on one of the cards (the gx2 is a dual card) is corrupted and can't be flashed to repair.

Im stuck with using shitty VGA compatable drivers till I can afford a new gfx card :(

Funny thing is though, is that I always have my card fan running 100% (using a 3rd party app). I didn't notice any change in the fan useage with these drivers...

Damn you Nvidia...

This is why gamers should use watercooling. Unless my pump fails or all my radiator fans fail, either of which would be pretty obvious, overheating is very unlikely.

Water cooling is expensive but worth it. My system runs great on the new drivers.

My system runs great on the new drivers.

mine was fine too with the new drivers, and also with the old ones. did not notice any difference between them, tbh.

so, better to be safe than sorry, i reverted back to 196.21, and i'll wait for nvidia to fix the mess.

These drivers killed my perfectly working 9800GX2. It was working fine, up until I installed the new drivers and then it BSOD.

A full reinstall later (twice, as it also did it the second time...I had not read about the drivers at this point...) and I tried to install other drivers. Nada. Card buggered...

Cant install any drivers for them now (error 43) and the bios on one of the cards (the gx2 is a dual card) is corrupted and can't be flashed to repair.

Im stuck with using shitty VGA compatable drivers till I can afford a new gfx card :(

Funny thing is though, is that I always have my card fan running 100% (using a 3rd party app). I didn't notice any change in the fan useage with these drivers...

Damn you Nvidia...

I would send nvidia a supportmail and ask for a new card, even though you dont might have warranty on it any more it was their faulty drivers that made it go kapoof.

I have watercooling and as I said above I've been having problems which I suspect may be caused by overheating. I tried connecting an extra case fan too but that didn't seem to help.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ and it's not a fan controller, it just show ur cards data sort of. and the heat and such, and it's one of the most reliable ones. For fancontroll you could use rivatuner.
Use the second tab to see the heat.

Could be, check the temps with gpu-z

well doh :p

Thx Legion. That helps alot.
Need to revert to older Driver just in case anyways.

I have watercooling and as I said above I've been having problems which I suspect may be caused by overheating. I tried connecting an extra case fan too but that didn't seem to help.

The problem you discribed in early post sounds more like memmory problem on the gfx than overheating.

Se if it acts same way in difrent games with bouth high and low settings

The problem you discribed in early post sounds more like memmory problem on the gfx than overheating.

well the memory on the card can overheat aswell :p

I'm playing in safe mode now and still getting the distorted screen stuff going on, though it's certainly better than when I had slightly higher settings (still mostly low and a few things medium).

If it was a memory problem, how would I determine or fix that? Or is it just EU being shit?

I don't play other games much so have nothing to compare with easily.

I'm playing in safe mode now and still getting the distorted screen stuff going on, though it's certainly better than when I had slightly higher settings (still mostly low and a few things medium).

If it was a memory problem, how would I determine or fix that? Or is it just EU being shit?

I don't play other games much so have nothing to compare with easily.

You could test to dl ati tool and run the scan for artifacts part of that tool it finds them on any gfx card, just keep it running for a good while and if it says it finds artifacts without you having overclocked your card or such then it's probably a faulty card. What card was it btw?

You could test to dl ati tool and run the scan for artifacts part of that tool it finds them on any gfx card, just keep it running for a good while and if it says it finds artifacts without you having overclocked your card or such then it's probably a faulty card. What card was it btw?

It's the GeForce GTS 250.

Back