Entropia Universe 11.3.0 Release Notes
28 Sep 2010

New Features and Additions

The new features and additions are detailed below this list:

• Voice Chat System
  • Vehicle Additions
  • Social Media Interconnect Services

Voice Chat System

Communication between participants is a key component of life in Entropia Universe, and it is now getting even better with the introduction of Voice Chat. MindArk is cooperating with Ericsson to create a service unique to Entropia Universe with advanced functionality that integrates into the game play on the planets. In a first step this enables secure voice communication between participants; you can voice chat with avatars on your Friend List as well as others you encounter in-game.

The Voice Chat system that is launched in this release is a first small step in a much bigger project to enhance the communication interface for our participants and Planet Partners. Examples of future functionality are proximity-sensitive chatting and a variety of call-out services. Proximity is used for 3D voice chat and takes distance and topology into account, adding to the experience of environmental interaction and when groups of avatars are chatting. With the call-out services it will be possible for an avatar to call outside Entropia Universe and vice versa.
In-game updates:

• Added voice chat actions in the Friend List UI and in the Avatar context menu.
  • Added adjusting options for voice chat devices and volume in the Options UI.

For legal terms regarding the Voice Chat system see Voice Communication Service - Terms of Use.

Quality and Performance
Since long it has been a goal for MindArk to implement voice chat in Entropia Universe. For the past two years we have evaluated different options, looking at how this could be achieved without making bandwidth an issue as well as assuring that such a system will be a strong fundament for future development in this area. In order to support a focus on the game play MindArk has collaborated with Ericssonto develop a gate from Entropia Universe to Ericsson's communication system, enabling a clear focus on quality and a strategy for sustained long term development.

We have put great effort into making this a system with the following qualities:

• Anonymity. You only have to see an avatar or have them on your Friend List to be able to suggest voice chat with anyone - and all they see is your Entropia Universe alias.
  • Security. All voice traffic is sent via Ericsson's servers to avoid revealing your IP address to the other part.
  • Privacy. Other participants cannot listen to a private conversation (a conversation between a restricted amount of participants).
  • Easy access. The service is available directly through your Entropia Universe account with no need to download a 3rd party client.
  • Tailor made for Entropia Universe. To enhance the Entropia Universe experience this system is tailor made to fit the conditions in Entropia Universe.
  • Stable network. The Voice Chat is a reliable service with redundant bandwidth capability.

Implementing above qualities means heavy investments and use of external resources. Therefore, the Voice Chat services are available for a subscription fee, see the Subscription Fee section below. However, it is important to MindArk to minimize the cost of using this system for each individual participant. Although this already is a premium service it will be launched at a reduced and low cost, see the Release Offers section below.

Subscription Fee
The regular subscription fee is 10 PED, however, see the release offers below.

Note: The subscription is based on a fee that is paid in beforehand, allowing free usage of the system for the coming 30-day period. At any time you can choose to not continue to pay this fee and the subscription is put on hold.
Release Offers

• If you, before starting to use the Voice Chat, have made a deposit or will make one, between August 29, 2010 and October 28, 2010 you will get your first 30 days of Voice Chat for free!
  • The cost is reduced to 8 PED per 30-day period, during the first 90 days of operation.

Vehicle Additions
This release presents three new types of vehicles: hovercraft, boat and VTOL (Vertical Take-Off and Landing).

The new VTOL aircraft will safely take you up in the sky where you can watch the world from new angles. This is the first step towards opening up the hangars and making the space ships airborne, which will happen in the near future.

Do you prefer the water? Hop on the boat and take some quick turns while enjoying the water splashing all around you.

The hovercraft is functional on both land and water. Weapon assembly is available for the hovercraft just as for the already introduced cars.

Tip! Take care of the vehicles and be careful! Collisions can now damage them. However, you can lessen the damage by staying seated even when the going gets tough; the damage is greater without any crew seated at all. Note that only the SI is affected by collisions, not vehicle deterioration.

Actions and their default control mappings for airborne vehicles:
  • Move up - Left Shift (new key mapping). Alternatively, hold left and right mouse buttons down and move mouse forwards.
  • Move down - Left Ctrl (new key mapping). Alternatively, hold left and right mouse buttons down and move mouse backwards.
  • Strafe Left - A
    Note: For airborne vehicles, this action results in left rotation.
  • Strafe right - D
    Note: For airborne vehicles, this action results in right rotation.
  • Rotate left - Z. Alternatively hold left and right mouse buttons down and move to the left.
    Note: For airborne vehicles, this action results in left strafe.
  • Rotate right - C. Alternatively hold left and right mouse buttons down and move to the right.
    Note: For airborne vehicles, this action results in right strafe.
  • Move Forwards - W. Alternatively hold left and right mouse buttons down.
  • Move Backwards - S
  • Auto move - R.

Control mappings for ground and water vehicles are the same as for the already included cars. The following default control mappings are added:

• Move Forwards - Hold left and right mouse buttons down. (Previous default key mapping, W, is still vaild.)
  • Auto move - R. Added possibility for automatic driving, using the R key. This functions in the same way as when using R for automatic running or walking.

Additional vehicle improvements:

• Vehicle Inventory will now be closed at vehicle recalling.
  • Added range limit to vehicle action Pick Up.
  • Vehicles will physically move when hit by explosion from, for example, grenade launcher.
  • Improved explosion effect when a vehicle is destroyed.
  • Added control information in the vehicles' Item Info.
  • Creatures don't attack flying vehicles.

Interconnect Services
Implemented Interconnect services for Social Media services in order to help participants communicate beyond the community that exists in-game. At this moment the services include posting in-game events relating to your Avatar to the Facebook and Twitter channels. For further information, log in to "My Account" through your planet web site.

For legal terms regarding the Interconnect Services see Entropia Universe Interconnect Services – Terms and conditions (T&C).

In addition to this service Entropia Universe now has a Twitter channel: http://twitter.com/EntropiaNews

Improvements and Fixed Issues

Installation
  • Fixed issue with the system requiring administrator permission for Windows Vista and later with UAC enabled: Install Entropia Universe in a folder other than Program Files or another folder that requires administration rights to write in.

Web and E-mail

Sounds and Visual
  • Lowered volume for all equip sounds.
  • Fixed issue with sound for vehicle assembly terminal.
  • Modified sound when vehicle reaches 0% health.
  • Resized Mouse help window to display included text.
  • Reintroduced the "Knock Knock" sound for the Request UI.

Miscellaneous
  • Implemented fall damage. Landing in water normally breaks the fall, unless the water is too shallow. Note that only the avatar health is affected, not armor deterioration.
  • Added possibility for detaching single attachments from an item.
  • Added possibility to attach items by drag and drop the attachment icon to the other item's Item Info window.
  • Removed item limit in the carried Inventory. However, more than 200 items in the carried Inventory limits the avatar's speed.
  • Increased Friend List count to 150 friends.
  • Adjusted target area on ad screens to simplify pick up of already placed screens.
  • Adjusted target area on terminals to simplify interaction.
  • Renamed the skill category Tailoring to Design.
  • Fixed issue with decoys not giving any skill increase.
  • Fixed issue with changing pages in Auction on the Orders tab.
  • Fixed issue with not being able to claim utilization rights of an estate containing bags.
  • Fixed issue with Kreltin maturity names.

Legal Updates and Additions
  • Updated Terms of Use.
  • Updated EULA.
  • Updated Privacy Policy.
  • Added Entropia Universe Interconnect Services – Terms and conditions (T&C).
  • Added Voice Communication Service - Terms of Use

Originally posted here.

Last edited by a moderator:
one of the best vu..after i read the release:):yay:

Can you be a bit more specific as to why is the best VU?

Is ti the new vehicles introduced, the voice chat or the other small fixes? :scratch2:

For me:

expanded FL
Knock Knock
new vehicles

I also like the fall dmg idea
Voice chat .. hm duno

Voice chat for a fee, or skype for free -- hmmm?... so much for "free speech" lol.

10 peds for voice? 10 peds for apartment rent? Might be interesting if they included voice in the apartment rent? Might also be interesting if they included ads in the shop rent fee monthly so that the items in shop show up in auction on another tab or something.

Last edited:
28 Sep 2010

Tip! Take care of the vehicles and be careful! Collisions can now damage them. However, you can lessen the damage by staying seated even when the going gets tough; the damage is greater without any crew seated at all. Note that only the SI is affected by collisions, not vehicle deterioration.

Knew it...

And with the suspension causing rolling from pebbles, this can add up depending on what they consider a 'collision'

:(

Quite a big update! I guess the plasma weapon attachments issue will be resolved soon. I guess we won't be seeing unlimited items anymore in updates. I really don't see why if players want to pay extra for unlimited items we can't have that option. I mean if there was an unlimited Valkyrie I am sure players would be willing to pay in the KPed range just as we do for UL armour.
Hanne if you read this can you explain why UL vehicles are not being made?

Cheers
Bjorn

Can you be a bit more specific as to why is the best VU?

Is ti the new vehicles introduced, the voice chat or the other small fixes? :scratch2:

yes..ingame voice chat(not everybody know to use ventrilo..or other programs..under 1% players)...but mostly new vehicles..specialy flying ones..witch is ground for future space opening. Anyway.. they worked alot on this vu. From my part is a great vu!

My first thought was: "Voice chat? Sure, why not? I'm not gonna use it, but I'll probably try it out."

Then I discovered it costing extra to use...

MA have made some pretty stupid decisions in the past, but this is a new high.

Why would I ever use this when the net is basically flooded with free solutions which, in all likely hood are better?

MA, you've done it again...

Just one question. Falling damage. Why? I liked the fact to not be restricted by this. Imagine how many deaths caused by inferior teleportation that will now happen... Sigh...

Please dont say we will soon drown too. My heart couldn't take it...

Hidden in update = broken crystal palace...

My first thought was: "Voice chat? Sure, why not? I'm not gonna use it, but I'll probably try it out."

Then I discovered it costing extra to use...

MA have made some pretty stupid decisions in the past, but this is a new high.

Why would I ever use this when the net is basically flooded with free solutions which, in all likely hood are better?

MA, you've done it again...

Total cost/year to have the voice chat activated would be around 120 ped according to release notes.

I don't think this is that expensive considering how expensive is this game overall to play.

And still I kinda agree with you and I would like to see this service available for free.

Great news so far.
Anyone read the new EULA yet? Any changes?
I am about to read it. It may be interesting to know what is new.

Can't see amp on mining tools (both drilling and mining) either in hands or inventory..

sure free voice chat is what we want but at least 10ped/30days or 120peds/year is ok with me compared to 40peds TP fee's which I still think is way too high. I will probably test it out with a free voucher tho.

And seems you can stop the service whenever you want even if you payed for a month and just get the remaining peds back, now thats a very good solution if it works like that I think...

And since I'm an ericsson fan, I have high hopes for quality of the service ;)

And jumping/falling dmg needs some tweaking, taking 11dmg jumping down from the booth section to the TP at corinth isn't logical at all, still if it's tweaked the right way I can agree it add some fun things.
And same with vehicles, and never ever change so it decays tt on them or your armor decays while jumping off a bridge or mountain...

Well I like the idea of the 3D being integrated into the chat especially that it will incorporate environment (presumably echo effects and muffling due to walls in the way etc?)... that they arn't doing this "yet" though makes me think it will arrive in time for the egg to hatch. Shame cause I think this would be unique in games?

I'm not interested in talking to people using voice chat though. Its a step too far away from escapism for me.

The vehicles - awesomeness! Can I say again? AWESOME!!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

Fall damage..... hmmmm reason? Someone need more money? Does it make the game better? I don't know, kinda another tax on exploration/climbing hobbies if you ask me. Still, I guess its no worse than the clothing tax.

Oh and the facebook stuff. Great idea! Should help a lot with the advertising! Be interested to see what thats about. TBH would have only been a matter of time though before someone else did it for them if they hadn't :silly2:

Wistrel

lacking the falling damage has always felt quite silly in my opinion.. this of course will create lots of unfortunate accidents :D but it's ok to me

lacking the falling damage has always felt quite silly in my opinion.. this of course will create lots of unfortunate accidents :D but it's ok to me

actualy..dmg on vehicles..made all the cars games i played till now much much better....and anyway..dmg will cost few pecs.

I Think the Pricing for the Voice Chat is reasonable... 10ped for 30 days unlimited chat. what is 10ped? 1USD isnt it? to talk for as much as I like to people from all over the world... For a DOLLAR???

Call me mad but that sounds like a Bargain.

and 40 ped to go to another planet... I cant even catch a bus or train for 4 dollars. I think you lot complain far too much. sorry. just had to speak my mind. :scratch2:

Love peas and chicken grease.

Voice chat sounds useless. Having to pay and having it restricted to people on your FL means that TS/Vent/etc will always be better.

For example for WoF England it's currently very simple, we just jump on the TS channel and off we go.

Switch over to the built-in system and someone would have to have everyone who wanted to join on their FL, or go and find them in game, and then again if people lose connection, need to relog, etc.

I don't want to have to do all that while also trying to compete in a WoF match, and I certainly don't want to pay for the privilege.

I haven't actually tried it yet, but that's how I understand it works from the release notes.

actualy..dmg on vehicles..made all the cars games i played till now much much better....and anyway..dmg will cost few pecs.

This is not gran turismo or need for speed.

in game voice chat. Ok, that's nice but having a sub fee is kinda strange but then again if it's through a third party if it was free MA would take their access charges out of the loot pool and that would suck.

I always thought that no falling dmg was strange when I first started playing but now I know MA I'm glad we never had it. Now post VU10 with all these massive mountains, it's gonna be nuts.

New vehicles. Sweet!

Voice chat sounds useless. Having to pay and having it restricted to people on your FL means that TS/Vent/etc will always be better.

For example for WoF England it's currently very simple, we just jump on the TS channel and off we go.

Switch over to the built-in system and someone would have to have everyone who wanted to join on their FL, or go and find them in game, and then again if people lose connection, need to relog, etc.

I don't want to have to do all that while also trying to compete in a WoF match, and I certainly don't want to pay for the privilege.

I haven't actually tried it yet, but that's how I understand it works from the release notes.

28 Sep 2010
The new features and additions are detailed below this list:

Anonymity. You only have to see an avatar or have them on your Friend List to be able to suggest voice chat with anyone - and all they see is your Entropia Universe alias.

The way I understand it is it works just like making teams so no need to have them on FL.
Cant get in game yet to check though.

if i read well, now will can post our achievements (glob, hof, etc) on facebook? :scratch2:
lol this is awesome :yay:

Vehicles from the past.
A boat from GTA. (and not from the future)

Hmmkayyy.... ;/

Vehicles stability thing decreases on crashes ?
So jumping of cliffs is no longer a good idea it seems. There goes the "free" stunt videos.

I really appreciate flying vehicles. Please, let em stop at the upper server boarder and do not limit them to like 500m. Please... oh my...a dream comes true...for everyone... ;p (there dies flying)

Voice chat with a fee ? Oh lol...we really needed that, yeah...

The way I understand it is it works just like making teams so no need to have them on FL.
Cant get in game yet to check though.

Yeah you can go and find them too. Not convenient, especially when, for example, you have a WoF team split between CP and Calypso.

what about teamspeak, xfire etc? i stay with the free ones. :scratch2:

i like the new vehicles :yay:

I've never used any of the voice programs. But, if most people transfer to the ingame voice software, wont that force other people to do likewise. Because nobody will be on teamspeak etc.?

Personally I wont use the voice software. I just wonder if it will mean people who do wish to use the service will become second class EU citizens. As they will be left outside of the communications loop. So, in effect, they will be forced to cough up the 120ped annual fee.

And if there is no way to record what is said in these voice communications. Wont some participants be able to get away with all kind of verbal abuse which is against the EULA?

Yeah thinking the same here cinda , been using vent/TS since they came.

But i see the in game voice more as an alternative too be able have an quick talk with strangers when trading our teaming ,cause i would not and don't invite anybody onto my vent server, also an alternative for those out there not
having an clue about these 3rd part programs :)

And if there is no way to record what is said in these voice communications. Wont some participants be able to get away with all kind of verbal abuse which is against the EULA?
I guess in a weird way, I'm sort of glad my sound drivers aren't working at the moment, lol.

Wonder what the voice thing is going to do to foks with disabilities such as being deaf?

Back