Could we have a clear description of what an exploit is?

Uniqu3

Old Alpha
Society
Art of War
Often MA/PPs will be slow to react to, and fix an exploit. Due to very little communication from MA/PPs, many users will see the incident as a grey area and abuse it since no acknowledgement has been made that it is an exploit. I think it would help if we could have a description of what you would consider an exploit in your system in your words. Not too vague that it could be interpreted however people wanted. I understand that it will probably be hard to cover all circumstances, but some guidelines would help clarify to your customers the difference between smart thinking and exploits. Any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks.

FWIW: My personal definition of an exploit is something which give an unintentional financial advantage.
examples:
The old auction 101 bug ( I think it was 101 bids anyway) force an auction up to 101 bids then no more could be made, resulting in that person winning the bid at a cheaper price than expected.
Back in the day, trapping mobs behind objects to avoid armour/fap/tp decay
VTOL exploiting to avoid armour/fap/tp decay
Working out how to use mining amps that were broken to still get the amplification effect but not pay the cost for that effect.

I could add more but those are what I thought of first.

Also on EF here: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...ear-description-what-exploit.html#post2588683

Good luck on getting a clear answer on that. ;)
It would be nice though.

I agree.

List of known exploits should be on client loader. Then there is no doubt, and MA can do temp-ban first time caught, perm-ban next time.

Some things are pretty obvious exploits (e.g. 101 exploit, intentional abuse of that deserved an immediate temp-ban at least), but others such as vehicle use in hunting is less clear since there does not appear to be any bug being taken advantage of more a case of the game design allowing people to do things MA didn't intend them to be able to do.

I'd class an Exploit of anything that helps you to benefit when it is not meant to (mistake).

I agree.

List of known exploits should be on client loader. Then there is no doubt, and MA can do temp-ban first time caught, perm-ban next time.

Some things are pretty obvious exploits (e.g. 101 exploit, intentional abuse of that deserved an immediate temp-ban at least), but others such as vehicle use in hunting is less clear since there does not appear to be any bug being taken advantage of more a case of the game design allowing people to do things MA didn't intend them to be able to do.

Using a vtol in hunting is an exploit, while jumping out of a event that is based
on no-heal to heal up is seen as clever tactics... it isn't easy to predict MAs p.o.v of things... :D

second that.

- basic description of "exploit" needed.

- a communication channel of already existing exploits needed
(ignorance is no protection against punishment but you have to give someone an possibility to keep track about what can be done and what not)

- a ruleset of how it will be dealt when comming to the attention that
A) an already existing exploit is used
B) an exploit was used before it was declared as exploit

in terms of ingame bugs and functions there might always be the need of judging situations as they occur as a player cant know what is intentionally provided as function and what not.

for the ruleset:
a) could involve temp ban of 3 month, removal of advantage gained by player, first warning
second time could involve temp ban of 6 month, removal of advantage gained by player, second and last warning
third time could invovle account locked finally

B)
declaration of new exploit - announcement about that
eventually removal of advantage gained but that must be clearly stated as in the past it seems players could keep what they got with attending to activity not declared as exploit at the time it took place.

I don't see how hopping into a VTOL when being attacked by a mob can be called an exploit. It's not a bug, nor is it unintended behavior, though it could be a feature they'd like to change. Nor does it give you any "competitive advantage" over another player. So... If MA wants to call that an exploit, then they really need to publish an explicit list of what actions are considered exploits. And saying "using a VTOL to avoid armor decay" is not clear enough.

Since MA hasn't published a list of current punishable exploits, I suspect they don't even have a list... or they have a list but it contains too many exploits that are not generally known and they don't want to reveal them all. My feeling is that if they get enough support cases about a certain avatar, whoever's on duty just makes an ad hoc decision about banning.

Really, it would be simple for them to compile such a list... all they have to do is watch the dev sections of the forums and reply when people ask if certain things are exploits. That way they don't have to reveal new exploits until the community already knows about them.

Last edited:
any feature becomes an exploit after enough people bitch to support team about it.

any feature becomes an exploit after enough people bitch to support team about it.

Using armor is an exploit because it protects you from mobs, therefore, it should not be used by anybody or else a temp ban would ensue...

See how RIDICULOUS some of this stuff is? :)

~Danimal

so also ping pong mob whit multiple poeple in team must be a exploit also cutting down on amour decay

shoot and run when the mob come at you and other keep shooting it

Is walking backwards whilst shooting illegal?

aaaaahhh

You know when you cheat .. Seriously. Ive seen you around for like 6-7years , you know the rules.

Using the system the way it wasnt intended for. Which is impossible to define, they coded it in, so they put it there, you have discovered on undocumented feature, which is possible since we know the developer notes are half assed that do not include ALL changes made. A bit naive but you want ppl to beta test your game when there's $ involved? - brilliant! They cant advertise "PLEASE do not do this, ty MA" cause within about 12-24 hours, they will have to pull the plug on the game.

And for some humor, A good number of you can ask your soc leaders what a banned-able offense is :silly2:

You know when you cheat .. Seriously. Ive seen you around for like 6-7years , you know the rules.

I second this.

Sure! If your common sense tells you walking backwards is an exploit then it must be one.

I guess you must stand still while hunting traesk.. otherwise the slow mobs can't ever penetrate any armour..

I guess you must stand still while hunting traesk.. otherwise the slow mobs can't ever penetrate any armour..

You had me at penetration. But seriously, I hope you realize I was being sarcastic. :)

Back