Dev Notes #20 - Mission System

Thank you for communicating and extending the grace period on this for 1 year.
I look forward to the new system and it’s possibilities.
Time to grind. :computer:

Thank you for replying. This was unexpected. Thank you for extending the grace period. But it is not good enough.

Dennis|MindArk said:
As the systems are not compatible this is not possible....

This is simply untrue. Data is data. Any data that can be inserted can also be exported. Someone isn't telling management at MA the truth. If it is not cost effective for you then say so. If you lack the man power there are 100 people right here , right now that will do it for free.

Dennis|MindArk said:
Most of us are on vacation right now, including me, but we didn’t want to wait. Hopefully we can answer most of your questions.

EXACTLY! Bad timing. What were you thinking?

Will repeatable missions on Arkadia , be reset if you have already finished the last stage at least 1 time ?

Carrying information over is not at all hard:

Step 1: create database that exports all kill count mission info (new system based on contribution so this is 1:1 ratio)

Step 2: credit new system with kill count info at 1:1 ratio (using an import function from new database)

Step 3: use database to export point missions

Step 4: convert kill points to kills using mob maturities to reverse points into kills

Step 5: use import function to credit accounts with number of point to kill conversions from step 4

Step 6: drink tea

This is NOT at all hard to do. You need one half way competent programmer and 1 math guy. (Also an iPhone google and the wiki)

Jdregh? Made the chip calculator I’m sure he could program this in his sleep.

Hi im not sure i fully understand how this new system works and how some missions will be affected lol

take the oratan mission for the dropship on arkadia for example this im told takes about a year to complete so there is no way in hell people can finish this in time even if they had the ped and grind every day
so does this mean only the active day of that stage will be affected or will people loose all days or stages progress?

is it this the same for creature stages where we have many many mobs to kill will it only be the active stage thats affected or we go right back to stage1? lol

and why cant the 2 systems work in tandem with no time limit? and simply as a active mission is completed it moves right onto the next part on the new system? just like the atrox example

im also assuming that the new system as it works in tandem with the legacy will mirror the progress, like say u killed 300 mobs of 1000 on legacy im assuming if u kill 1 more mob it will show 301 of 1000 on both legacy and the new system?

or perhaps as a suggestion to speed things up a bit with the 2 systems perhaps a npc could be placed on each planet, the purpose of this npc would be to issue player bound progress tokens for active missions on that planet, once accepted the active missions are converted to progress tokens and will be disabled on legacy and players can then exchange the progress tokens to the npc to have their progress updated on the new system

sorry mind ark i know u guys are trying to make the game better for us with overhauled systems and improvements etc but there are just somethings u dont do to u loyal customers/players it makes u guys look very unprofessional, lazy or incompetent or maybe all 3 lol either way its bad pr

im pretty sure there are plenty of things that could be done to make big transitions like these more smooth and fair so people do not lose their hard earned progress they worked so hard for

i can understand why some officials might not want to say anything just yet in here cos i gather there are some pretty frustrated and angry people atm lol so i ask that some could come and explain to us exactly how all this will work in detail and better yet listen to us and take appropriate actions on peoples constructive ideas and feedback such as my player progress token idea ;]

so please guys try n be nice to any officials that talk to us in here, there.. is no excuse for rudeness and hostility, despite frustration and anger .. it pretty much almost never works ..no1 is going to listen or be helpful if they are getting abuse lol

have fun guys n gals

JJ ;)

Wait, so is this mission update only affecting iron style missions???? If so then my worries will be reduced.

Thx for reply Dennis!
One year grace period is much better then a month ofc , but its still not good enogh i sadly must say.
There is no chanse for many to finnish several long and hard worked missions in that time period, and that will mean they all lose alot of hard work and money spent.
The only acceptable way is either to transfer progress in to new system or let the old system work beside the new untill we finnished them missions.
So this was as i suspected mostly to save server capacity... buy more servers then ;)

Dorki can live with 1 year grace period. It is nowhere near enough time to finish all those missions, but at least there is time for the most important ones. :smoke: Unless they involve big expensive mobs that is, like let's say dasps or seasonal mobs with thousands of kills remaining.

I really think its time to do something with the daspletor spawn. Its a shame if you have 2-3/5k and no spawn. Maybe its time to increase the min mobs from 3 to 10 or something.

What about LONG quests or smuggler quests wher people bought the smugler suit for 1000 PED to start Quest?

I m doing the Dropship quest on Arkadia for over 3 years--- 2 -3 quests / week...It s a dayly..can t hurry it up,at curent maturity I do @ 70 ped hunts dayly...At next probably 100 to finish killing 100 of them.After 100 need to wait 24 hours till can get new one.Sometimes I finish quest in 2 days -not finding right maturity in a day.It s a @ 2 year quest if u do it dayly...Many people are doing it and lost lots of time+ peds in it...I won t restart for sure.Lost @ 1000 ped total dayly lose @ 5-10 ped...If I continue now doing it dayly every day forced to be on Arkadia and having lotts of peds I can finish it probably but I don t want to be forced to stay on one planet all week..

And what about Smugler Quests...Have friends that payed 1000 ped on Smugler suit to start smugler mission.Suit was bought from quest representative not private trade or something just so u can start Smugler mission.Do they need to pay another 1000 ped in arkoins to restart quest? for a 2 pec suit-think that s TT value..

This new system sounds super good, might bring some new life to EU! Hopefully it will work smoothly! Time for a new change, happy days!:lolup:

We in the management have read the feedback and we will extend the grace period to approx one year. It is better to admit when in fault, this is one of those times and we have therefore reconsidered.
Current mission system is based on kill count/points where the new is based on the contribution calculation.

My bold - Dennis, please please please think a bit more about what readers either know or do not know when you write 'approximately', specifically here, and in general when you write to us.
As Granny has commented, we don't know if migration will be included because of what you have written in a vague way.

1 year approximately to complete legacy missions. As compromises go this seems very good. But that approx. bothers me.
Could you at least clarify if it will include migration next year, as many of us on bronze or silver were counting on doing say 2/3rds this year and completing the mission next year. Currently because of the doubt I stopped hunting LT completely with my mission 1/3rd done. Unless I know that migration next year will definitely be included in that time allowed for completion of missions, I will not be returning to the event this year, and perhaps never. Trust is a wonderful thing, easy to break and hard to restore.
Clarity helps build trust.

While it is true that if you don't know the exact vu date for the start, including migration will mean 'approx' one year grace period. But we don't trust that given our past experiences, so please make things like this clear. As you can see, it has consequences for people right now what will happen one year from now, as Granny says. Build trust by also being clear and thinking about consequences for players. Thank you.

edit - or this to Ludvig too as you are logged on right now - thank you for being online also during holidays. That is appreciated.

As Granny has commented, we don't know if migration will be included because of what you have written in a vague way.
Pretty clear to me, the grace period of 1 year starts with the implementation of the new system which is going to happen in Q3, long after migration:

This grace period will extend approximately one month from the implementation of the new mission system.
(which is now 1 year)

To remove all the progress for everyone is so stupid so i did never imagine this would happen.
I have so many missions I spent insane amount of hrs to progress on to get my reward some day.

Whats next, The skill system?
Will you also change the skill system and reset all skills?

This makes me very worried...

To remove all the progress for everyone is so stupid so i did never imagine this would happen.
I have so many missions I spent insane amount of hrs to progress on to get my reward some day.

Whats next, The skill system?
Will you also change the skill system and reset all skills?

This makes me very worried...

The change is inevitable since the current mission system is built on an old script system which is unfortunately not applicable to the new script systems, hence why they need to change it.

I think it's great that they want to update the game and modernize the game/system, a system that's gonna bring less bugs and server crashes in the future.

I can agree that maybe healers should get contribute points but def not scanners! Scanners do not contribute one bit and this will exploited in the future.

Great that MA listen to feedback and extended the grace period to 1 year instead of like 1 month.

Entropia is more than a game in many aspects but it's still a game.

IMO the current mission system sucks ass, so I think it's great if they are improving it. I personally don't give a shit if my missions get reset, but I do think it's really fucking odd that MA can't be bothered to do a data conversion. I can't see how it would take any developer more than a couple of days to write, and would save MA the huge flood of "thIS iS the FInAl StRaw iM quiTTiNG".

edit: Yes I see where Dennis said the two systems are "incompatible", but that's literally what the point of data conversion is.

Last edited:
The change is inevitable since the current mission system is built on an old script system which is unfortunately not applicable to the new script systems, hence why they need to change it.

Both made by Mindark, hence the incompatibility :scratch2:

I think it's great that they want to update the game and modernize the game/system, a system that's gonna bring less bugs and server crashes in the future.

It's still made by Mindark, i can't really agree or be too optimistic, sry :lolup:

I can agree that maybe healers should get contribute points but def not scanners! Scanners do not contribute one bit and this will exploited in the future.

Only because you don't use scanners doesn't mean they don't contribute anything. Decay is decay, get over it

Great that MA listen to feedback and extended the grace period to 1 year instead of like 1 month.

Entropia is more than a game in many aspects but it's still a game.

It's only the most expensive "game" in the world, i think we can really demand a better roadmap and some longterm investment security of both our money and time, not a few fuckup every 6 to 12 months. Not even their friggin Camera Mode is working properly yet, but you applaud to the next Ground Zero already. Way to go! :(

Polite request to all MindArk employees that post in threads on PCF, especially ones such as this where they are answering player concerns.
The initial post goes to all the game forums for the individual planets as well as to pcf, yet important additional info from MindArk does not.
Not every player uses pcf, or logs into it regularly, often they only check the forum for their planet, so where it is as important as the reply from Dennis about extended overlap between systems, would you please also publish to the threads on the other forums, I am sure Bertha could be persuaded to do that for you if you don't have the time to show consideration to those players in the rest of the game (outside of Calypso)

Pretty clear to me, the grace period of 1 year starts with the implementation of the new system which is going to happen in Q3, long after migration:

(which is now 1 year)

Maybe you have the same sort of time sync problems as MA, but Q3 is where most people are right now. April-Mar financial years exist in places, but that's not an MA timeline, is it?
Also, even if something is pretty clear to me, there are often good reasons why something is not clear to everyone (sometimes 'cos they have thought more than me, sometimes less). 'Me' is a rather uninclusive bubble for comprehension purposes ;)

so we gonna be see a ton of scanners at shared loot going ham:laugh:
gotta admit i dont see the point of that even if they put in decay, that dont benifit to the hunting but only to MA pocket.

I will wait to see how its gonna be cuz as always the statement about this is not completely clear and which is causing the panic.

Do hope they impliment higher rex and levi mission like they did on trox and argo

Since some of the things I asked got answered/commented, putting an update and had some more questions
Some questions and remarks I had reading the OP:
0. As others have mentioned, don't see the reason to not issue progress to the new missions based on progress of old ones, ok there is some math involved but it is a fairly trivial calculation (% completed)
NO CONVERSION, going to be ~1 year of a grace period instead, everyone starts new ones from 0

1. Would it only impact the "legacy" iron-like missions? There were/are plenty of missions which were about going somewhere, talking to some NPC who sent you to another NPC etc. Would hate to lose the progress (list of those missions completed).
Should impact only the iron-like missions, others stay intact

2. What is the impact on iron-like missions that on completion grant access to something, e.g. entrance to the cp cave / others on Arkadia? are those areas going to be available to anyone as of the new system?

3. This seems like another massive impact to get people from other planets to go Caly for quite some time as
a) people rushing to finish their opened missions
b) all the missions are going to be reset so some rewards to be had
not really a question just interested how the planet partners are seeing this

4. Are attributes going to be issued as mission rewards? It would be nice opportunity to somewhat balance previous issues - results of bugged repeatable mission chains resulting in things like messi's 200+ agility and 80+ stamina.
Attributes as rewards still being considered

5. Are the new "iron" missions going to be repeatable (e.g. repeatable last stage)?
YES

6. Are the missions still going to offer skill rewards? If so perhaps it would be good to introduce some kind of system that makes it possible to exchange to any skill in the relevant category, as the current system makes it difficult to issue unlockable skills as choices.

7. As there is going to be a "Bestiary", is it planned (perhaps to consider if not) to indicate where spawns can be found? Entropiawiki has some spawn info but it is always going to be outdated compared to info you guys have.

8. Any plans on what to do with mission chains that are practically dead e.g. the Daspletors (perhaps if mobs are not fed, they still spawn but owner gets way less taxes from them?)

so we gonna be see a ton of scanners at shared loot going ham:laugh:
gotta admit i dont see the point of that even if they put in decay, that dont benifit to the hunting but only to MA pocket.

I will wait to see how its gonna be cuz as always the statement about this is not completely clear and which is causing the panic.

Do hope they impliment higher rex and levi mission like they did on trox and argo

I personally like the new scanning and return in loot story.(its only like 1-2 pec per mob) bec you have then a cooldown period for same mob...

new options might be then available with this too....( i need way more skills in that for beeing able to use a creature control pill !!)

the new bestiary system could include more infos and other stuff possible through scanning

Eddie

Thank you for all the feedback.

<snip>

Thanks for the response Dennis.

The one-year cooldown is much more reasonable, and while it won't be enough for me to complete all the missions I would like to, it will allow me to target the missions I'm keenest to complete, and to minimise the amount of effort I feel has been "wasted".

The additional benefits of the new system sound very positive (as I said in my previous post, I think an improved mission system is something that pretty much all of us have been wanting for quite some time). As well as the things you mention, I assume this will also bring an end to the old-style kill count (as opposed to points) missions, which I've always found very frustrating, especially on Arkadia and Cyrene where there the difference between lowest and highest maturities can be very high, so that's a big positive as far as I'm concerned.

I would like some clarity on exactly what missions will or will not be affected here, as well as a more specific timetable for this (including planet partner schedules).

I DEMAND REPEATABLE ATTRIBUTE AWARD MISSIONS FOR LAND AREA OWNERS!

normal missions should be skill rewards

LAND AREA OWNERS SHOUKD BE ABLE TO SET REWARDS FOR THEIR LAND AREA!

They should be able to select attribute rewards and these missions should be infinitely repeatable!

Give us repeatable attribute missions we can grind over and over on player owned land areas to make you money and make the players who invest in them money!

Give the land area owners the options to select from a list/ menus of rewards and have this feature included!

This will make land areas worth hunting in and will help with the fact that mayhem takes away so much land area income!

I am still unable to play since the camera update (don't want a dot, a crosshair or my camera to ever move unless I make it move)

"If you seek..."

Way to ruin what little trust I had left in you Dennis/Mindark.
One of the biggest suck-ups in this thread I have seen using a bot on Rocktropia, next time I report you.
The other brown-nosers; go away you bring nothing to this discussion and this game is worse for your input.

To Mindark: How many non-paying customers can leach off you before you go bankrupt?

Hi Dennis thanx for the reply
i guess i should refresh my browser b4 typing messages in future so i dont miss other responses oops lol

anyways using the below image as an example taken from entropiawiki.com
which of these will be affected by the new system?

5ljLelK.png

am i correct to assume only the iron missions such as:

Hunting Challenge:Iron Berycled II - will be affected and nothing else such as:

Hunting Challenge:Bronze longtooth or Hunting Challenge:Halloween Mayhem?

and any other normal missions / quests using stages where a number of mobs are needed to be killed
per stage / day etc wont be affected and function as they did b4 even if active?

and what about other planets such as Arkadia in this image example below are we
to also assume only the killpoint challenges are affected and not the ifn challenge?

76gDGKd.png

I just like most of us just want to know exactly what is going to be affected and that we are not going to lose too much if anything lol

for example very long daily missions such as oratan payback, progress on this will not be affected?

and to be clear only the active stages we are on for example is affected and we wont be kicked back to stage 1 or something lol? also would we get the choice to start from stages 1 if it was in our best interests for better skills / rewards?

hopefully once we all know exactly what will be affected most of us wont be dashing about in a panic trying to get everything done in time or threatening to rage quit, altho a year does sound alot better lol

also if we are in teams hunting say wombana for example, there are missions to kill x amount of them so will we each get credited kill count on a killed mob or will it be whoever did the most damage as b4?

kind regards:

JJ ;)

It will be at least one year which means it will include next years migration.

It will be at least one year which means it will include next years migration.

Will these changes be calypso missions only or will monria missions be impacted in 3 months as well ? Or does monria count under 'other planets' and comes later ?

Back