Dev Notes #20 - Mission System

Since having more time of this notice and then grinding out what missions I can, I have made an observation"

A lot of people replied on this thread with statements saying they knew this was coming, the date was known etc... maybe true, but how come I've seen most people setting up what mission they can finish and how much they can grind this weekend? Because they had one week notice of a crunch time they didn't know when it would happen. You could say they waited too long, etc., but it's clear people weren't ready because they didn't know any exact date until days ahead.

Since having more time of this notice and then grinding out what missions I can, I have made an observation"
A lot of people replied on this thread with statements saying they knew this was coming, the date was known etc..

People have "known" about the date since late May. When it was stated in a discord channel somewhere, and later quoted in a thread somewhere here on PCF. This is still my primary concern with how this has been handled. In my opinion, information that is relevant to the entire playerbase should not be shared ANYWHERE, except official outlets.

Had the thingy not been outed in discord, we'd all be in the same boat, not knowing the exact date until a week or so prior to the end of it, and had the post on PCF revealing what was said in discord not been posted, it would have been an "inner circle" kind of thing. Even though i missed the post here on PCF when it was shared, I'm glad that it was, becasue otherwise, this would have been a bigger deal than it currently is :D

Had the thingy not been outed in discord, we'd all be in the same boat, not knowing the exact date until a week or so prior to the end of it, and had the post on PCF revealing what was said in discord not been posted, it would have been an "inner circle" kind of thing. Even though i missed the post here on PCF when it was shared, I'm glad that it was, becasue otherwise, this would have been a bigger deal than it currently is :D

Then we should all act as if no one saw it. How many members are on this discord? I'm in Entropia Universe discord channel which is described as the "Unoffical EU" discord channel. Scanning announcements there since April I see nothing. This channel has approx 400-450 members max.

People have "known" about the date since late May.

Everyone know the day since last year because they said it very clear.Missions are done after migration 2020 and everyone who play the game knows migration ends somewhere 20 august -1st sept.So you have 1 year to make sure you end everything you've started before this day.You don't need an exact date when it ends when you have 1 YEAR to finish few missions.An exact date is irrelevant when you have 1 year AHEAD.

MA has definitely considered input from the user base before, they have their faults, but credit where its due.
It is really quite the opposite. You don't seem to (want to) realize that the current state of affairs is the result of their processing user input, just not yours alone. We asked for the ability to share mission points in team because the lonesome grinding became more and more of an inhibitor to the social function of our game. We got more than we bargained for, which in itself is a pattern in more recent developments (Loot 2.0, the "hitbox" problem -> a totally new camera & interaction system, etc.) The iron missions were addictive, maybe to the extent of being unhealthy for some. I'm no stranger to their appeal, too, often feel resistant to change and can't deny a sense of loss looking at the stages I didn't complete with the rewards I won't get anymore. But please put ratio above emotions and look at the bigger picture. Codex implementation is not complete yet, it will get more interesting. The re-inclusion of attribute rewards, even retroactively, is already announced. We'll all get our fill, and not least because it's the company's livelihood.

Everyone know the day since last year because they said it very clear.Missions are done after migration 2020 and everyone who play the game knows migration ends somewhere 20 august -1st sept.So you have 1 year to make sure you end everything you've started before this day.You don't need an exact date when it ends when you have 1 YEAR to finish few missions.An exact date is irrelevant when you have 1 year AHEAD.

Firstly: I understand that it may not matter to you, since you have the ability to play for 16(?) hours a day and you likely finished all the irons you wanted to before there was even talk of removing them. I understand that it does not matter to me, as I was able to finish all the missions I had intended to finish either way. But i'm fairly certain not everyone has had the ability to do that, and for these people an exact date on the announcement of the grace period could have provided much important information. Removing something from a game (several months later than intended) should not be hard to announce a hard date on a year before.

While I somewhat agree with you that a date-span was known, and one could plan accordingly. Perhaps one should plan according to the earliest known migration end. However, if this is indeed, as you say, August 20th (Which, I honestly don't know, i've been playing this game for quite some time, and I do not track every single thing that happens in this game, perhaps that's wrong of me :) ). Then people might have planned differently than if they had known they had 12 more days to complete, for instance.

I would have thought that you, if anyone, would know the implications of an end date shifting 11 days without ones knowledge, considering how meticulous you seem in your plans.

Point still being:
I'd like to see that news were shared on the appropriate planet/platform news outlet, so that, we would not need to be active in 16 different communication medias just to get information that is relevant to the majority of the playerbase. Would it really be so hard to, when a date is set for something as major as this, and furthermore communicated on non-official platforms, to make a post on the news section of planet calypso (in this case) with the exact same information?

Removing something from a game (several months later than intended) should not be hard to announce a hard date on a year before.

So everyone knew 12 months ago that Mindark announced irons will be extended until migration ends in 2020 and your argument now is why they didn't provide a hard date at that time.Perhaps that was difficult , perhaps that was just enough information for anyone interested to play the game to finish what they've started until 20 august 2020-1st sept 2020.An exact date last year wouldn't help anyone who is serious about the game.When you know Christmas is at the end of december you know in March that you should prepare for that period , you don't need an exact date in March.

Then people might have planned differently than if they had known they had 12 more days to complete, for instance.

People had 1 year to finish the irons , not just 12 days.If 1 year isn't enough to finish what you've started then nothing is.
I would have thought that you, if anyone, would know the implications of an end date shifting 11 days without ones knowledge, considering how meticulous you seem in your plans.
The only shift was that Mindark extended the grace period from 1 month to 1 year.So it was a help from their side for others to finish their started missions.11 days is the date people who never read PCF information use to think thats all they had to finish their missions which is wrong, they had 1 year +
I'd like to see that news were shared on the appropriate planet/platform news outlet, so that, we would not need to be active in 16 different communication medias just to get information that is relevant to the majority of the playerbase.

In 7 years I obtained my information from just 3 sources and nothing else - PCF.Wiki,entropialife.Everything else is not legitimate and you should never get your information from.Those 3 are everything you ever need to stay informed, obviously with the assumption you are interested to play the game and progress.

Then we should all act as if no one saw it. How many members are on this discord? I'm in Entropia Universe discord channel which is described as the "Unoffical EU" discord channel. Scanning announcements there since April I see nothing. This channel has approx 400-450 members max.
Why? We did saw it, it's int the opening post

When the one year grace period has elapsed, all missions from the old system will be disabled for all participants. Progress will no longer be possible for the deprecated missions, and uncompleted missions will not provide any rewards.

There will be a similar grace period of one year from the implementation of the new mission system for Planet Partners. More info and specific dates will be provided as the Planet Partner implementation draws nearer.
Code:
Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2019

But then you go:
I can't believe a flyin shit out of MA's mouth.

If the majority knows and you don't it's on you 100%.
MA does need to use the ingame news feature, even ugly as it is, but they have to make use of it for sure.... to avoid these situations, but you should really have to click the CLOSE button on the news / release notes (altho w e do this in a way, closing the launcher with release info 80% won't read :D )

Last edited:
and your argument now is why they didn't provide a hard date at that time.Perhaps that was difficult , perhaps that was just enough information for anyone interested to play the game to finish what they've started until 20 august 2020-1st sept 2020. An exact date last year wouldn't help anyone who is serious about the game.

I don't know what your idea of "serious about the game". But i'd like to think that you can be serious about the game, despite only having an hour or two a day to play, for instance. I'd like to think that these players also play a role in this community, as well as the economy.

Furthermore, why would it be hard to say "September 1st 2020, we will do what we originally intended to do one month from now"? Planning is definitiely not as hard as you think. The only way this could potentially be a problem is if they had no idea how they would actually do it, and that is the actual cause of the 1 year grace period. I would not be surprised.

People had 1 year to finish the irons , not just 12 days.If 1 year isn't enough to finish what you've started then nothing is.

People had one year to finish the irons that they wanted (and actually, not even one year). Not everyone has all the time in the world to play, and perhaps they planned accordingly (as one might suspect they would). I finished my last iron mission today, had the end date been 20th of august as you suggested it could have been, I would not have been able to finish what i intended. And i pushed decently hard (for me) the past couple of weeks since I learned that the end date was closer than I thought (after reading it from inofficial sources)

The only shift was that Mindark extended the grace period from 1 month to 1 year.So it was a help from their side for others to finish their started missions.11 days is the date people who never read PCF information use to think thats all they had to finish their missions which is wrong, they had 1 year +

Once again if they extended the grace period from 1 month to 12 months., why would it be hard to set a hard date? They had 11 EXTRA months to figure out how to get it working on a specific date... People had a year (but not really a year, significantly less than a year) with no actual date for which to plan.

In 7 years I obtained my information from just 3 sources and nothing else - PCF.Wiki,entropialife.Everything else is not legitimate and you should never get your information from.Those 3 are everything you ever need to stay informed, obviously with the assumption you are interested to play the game and progress.

Sure i got my information from PCF a couple of weeks ago, it looked like "
"Removing the irons are planned during the 2020 Q3 release (20200901)"
Quote from My|MindArk - Community Manager. "

This information was originally from Discord, not one of the sources you state, thus this information is invalid, by your standards, and I agree. This is not trustworthy information (althought I'm glad it was posted, nonetheless), but if they knew this date in LATE MAY, and shared this date with certain people. Why was it not shared in the official news outlet?

Why was it not shared in the official news outlet?
"In this Dev Notes article we’d like to inform you of our plans for the most significant overhaul of the mission system to date, which is planned for release in the third quarter (Q3) of 2019. " posted July 20, 2019 HERE

So you see an official comment was posted 1 year ago before anyone else decided to post or comment in an non official discord whatsoever.You don't have to rely on anything else.You have THE OFFICIAL COMMENT ON 20 JULY 2019 to rely on, its all you need to make plans.

So you see an official comment was posted 1 year ago before anyone else decided to post or comment in an non official discord whatsoever.You don't have to rely on anything else.You have THE OFFICIAL COMMENT ON 20 JULY 2019 to rely on, its all you need to make plans.

Indeed. Which states q3 release. Q3 is anywhere from July 1 to September 30. A span of 91 days. 91 day span in a year, I would say is significant enough to make a difference in how people plan.

Furthermore, there is another post from official sources worded "at least one year" (https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...-20-mission-system.267641/page-7#post-3656574).

This implies that the end date will be somehwere between august 20th and september 30th. "it will include next years migration" but will also be released in Q3.
Still a span of 41 days, significant enough to make an impact in the choices player makes.

None of this changes the fact that it would have been better for everyone to have a set date announced from the start (which I still claim should be very much doable, since it was AT LEAST 11 months later than intended) or at the very least, announce the date when it was released on unofficial platforms.
How can you argue this?

How can you argue this?
You don't.You take what is out there and you finish all missions you've started before even June.Don't wait until last second to find out you ran out of time.You don't need an exact date to finish all your missions ASAP even 6 months before they remove it.
Besides that just because there are some missions you've started it doesn't say anywhere you should finish them.I have uncompleted missions on arkadia which I don't give a fuck about them because the rewards are kinda useless in comparison to what they provide or on what I can lose by not huting my mobs, also hunting on a planet that doesn't have codex is a loss loss situation for me because codex is 100 times better so I don't care if I finish a mission but on the other hand I gain 4 times more by codex a better mob.
No matter how you look at the situation everything was in your hands to get the job done and everything was posted here official and if there are missions ppl did not complete was because they didn't want to finish that mission or it was not important.

Thank you Messi! It has been refreshing discussing differences in points of views without personal attacks and hard feelings. For some reason this is quite uncommon these days.

Like I've said before I'm all for the removal of iron missions. I think it's for the greter good of the game. Perhaps it will help people stop hunting crap mobs. Myself included. Many times Ive found myself close to a threshold to either a skill unlock or new equipment and ended up doing crap mobs for quick rewards.

None of this changes the fact that it would have been better for everyone to have a set date announced from the start (which I still claim should be very much doable, since it was AT LEAST 11 months later than intended) or at the very least, announce the date when it was released on unofficial platforms.
How can you argue this?
You're silly to assume MA can have clear dates if the time span is over one week :D :D They are not that kind of company. Tells u stuff can go wrong, which did, and costed ppl and them. We often say on forums, better late than not tested / buggy because you pay, liek we did after loot 2.0 when it was partially implemented and costed us a lot...

Q3 release is always September for many years.
But yeah, MAs communications is all time low and they should use all communications channels for ANY kind of official information. Both ingame and on forums because there are a lot of players only logging on the forums :D

"In this Dev Notes article we’d like to inform you of our plans for the most significant overhaul of the mission system to date, which is planned for release in the third quarter (Q3) of 2019. " posted July 20, 2019 HERE

Do I really have to sort through the tons of MA posts about timelines, about what is supposed to come out 1st quarter or 3rd quarter of whatever they are talking about? I cannot believe this is still somewhat of a point of contention. They have said such things so many times that it should always be taken with a grain of salt.
Words that I focus on in this statement include : "Our plans," and "planned for" Third quarter is a span of 3 months last I looked. Still not a specific date.
I keep saying over and over, I felt very confident that it was going away in a year. Beyond that no date was known officially until 1 week ahead. That cannot be argued. I'm not saying 1 year was enough or not, and I'm not talking about if I like they removed it or not. I'm saying a specific date was not provided until 1 week in advance and that is unacceptable to me.
It's classic MA non-communication and am amazed at the number of people that continue to defend it.

They have said such things so many times that it should always be taken with a grain of salt.
They have announce it and how you react to it its strictly your problem.We are not experiencing things in the same way I suppose and for some reasons some ppl are always upset and angry and some always make the right move and always progress reading the same news as everyone else.

They have announce it and how you react to it its strictly your problem.We are not experiencing things in the same way I suppose and for some reasons some ppl are always upset and angry and some always make the right move and always progress reading the same news as everyone else.
I don't like when I am told how I'm feeling and how I didn't make the right move.
*edited to not sound like a jerk*

All I wanted was MA to post an exact date more than 1 week in advance. I do not think that's too much to ask for ... no matter if "I" needed it or anyone needs it. Has nothing to do with the change or preparing or anything. It's continual poor communication that MA provides, vague timelines, unfulfilled promsises. It is clear we are not experiencing things the same way, I'm trying to be factual and non-judgemental and I feel the same is not being provided.

Last edited:

The only Problem I have with this quote from you,Messie, is that it statets Q3 2019. So to quote a post which is certainly not true, as end Dagte was changed from one Month away to 1 Year away since this post from which you took your quote.

PS: One year to finish all the open missions is no prroblem for you but many others had several endstages on a lot of mobs which cost for normal peopel much to kill and as they not have the bankroll to kill 500 dasps in a row without depositing a pec a lot of users of this service had to decide already at the start which are the missions I finish which ones are the ones I abandone because I cant finish them with all the others to finish.

If MA were to just let the old Iron Missions run until their natural death through completion, it could cause them issues of having to run both systems for a very long time, just think of all those accounts that are rarely logged in.
A good compromise would be to delete say all missions less than 25% completed or maybe 50% (especially the expensive ones) and also to time them out, if a mission is untouched for say 3 months, that would give players a chance to finish up, and still have time to do a few events along the way.
Having to choose this summer between doing Migration and doing old Iron missions would have been a total pain had the migration loot not been so awful.
Where were the item drops anyways?
I was also somewhat pissed that they removed Mulmun fro the migration without warning and while I was in mid hunt (48,5k of 60K) not happy, one second they were there the next gone, then wasted several hours for me and a friend trying to see if they just migrated..sadly no. To hell with finishing that many in PVP

From MA:
We don’t want you to be unhappy with the new system and the transition from the old. We will have a look at this again when we are closing in on a year after this release to see what actions are necessary to make it feel fair.

There has been alot good discussion in here and everyone, in their own way has admitted that they stand to lose something. And while we all reacted and valued this proposed change differently, we should respect each other at least.

We all have a common ground on this because it will affect every single participant.

I fully understand the complaints of why the iron missions need to be removed and that they can't be converted (my point still stands that they can't be converted, not even by a roughly averaged compensation value or multiplier or whatever you want to call it). However, that discussion was finished last year.

Let's look at it from another angle:

• MA announced that iron missions will be removed in one month
  • at this very point in time alarm bells should have rung in each and everyone's ears, that something will be removed and something needs to be done by everyone who calls himself/herself a player interested in Entropia Universe
  • outcry of community
  • MA extended that period to (roughly) a year (fixed date or not)
  • continuing with the bold part above: everyone's obligation was to answer these questions:
    • how important is the avatar in Entropia Universe to me? (as in: does that ruin everything and I want to quit?)
    • how much time per week will I be having for the next year? (undoubtedly the toughest question as nobody can predict the future, but it can be done in a range)
    • which iron missions do I have running?
    • what's my progress on them? (absolute and relative)
    • what's the reward for the missions?
    • which of those rewards are most important to me as far as my goals in EU are concerned?
    • which of those missions have important rewards, but are too hard/costly/time taking compared to others?
  • now order the missions from most important to least important
  • try to set dates as milestones where you want to be with the missions at certain dates
  • get going and work on them one by one. Don't fool around here, you do know what's at stake.
  • regularly check your progress in your planned progress
I'm with messi on this. I don't want to sound rude, but if you start to complain a handful of weeks before the iron missions are removed (fixed date or not), you certainly have done something wrong for an entire year. In those last days before they are removed you should be working on less important missions that are just nice to have.

I finished what I wanted to finish and I have no iron missions running any more.

At least be sure that you recognize I have not complained about the timeline, the amount of time provided, or any other factor. I did prioritize and got missions I wanted done. I'm unhappy with them providing an exact date only 1 week ahead. They don't communicate well or often and if someone disagrees with that then I don't even know to react to that.
I don't even know why I keep responding, because it seems clear that some people just think it's all 100% fine no matter what and blame players for how they reacted or planned.
I think we see an increase in complaints when the date is posted because it is then real that this is happening and a lot of people don't like it.

I fully understand the complaints of why the iron missions need to be removed and that they can't be converted (my point still stands that they can't be converted, not even by a roughly averaged compensation value or multiplier or whatever you want to call it). However, that discussion was finished last year.

Let's look at it from another angle:

• MA announced that iron missions will be removed in one month
  • at this very point in time alarm bells should have rung in each and everyone's ears, that something will be removed and something needs to be done by everyone who calls himself/herself a player interested in Entropia Universe
  • outcry of community
  • MA extended that period to (roughly) a year (fixed date or not)
  • continuing with the bold part above: everyone's obligation was to answer these questions:
    • how important is the avatar in Entropia Universe to me? (as in: does that ruin everything and I want to quit?)
    • how much time per week will I be having for the next year? (undoubtedly the toughest question as nobody can predict the future, but it can be done in a range)
    • which iron missions do I have running?
    • what's my progress on them? (absolute and relative)
    • what's the reward for the missions?
    • which of those rewards are most important to me as far as my goals in EU are concerned?
    • which of those missions have important rewards, but are too hard/costly/time taking compared to others?
  • now order the missions from most important to least important
  • try to set dates as milestones where you want to be with the missions at certain dates
  • get going and work on them one by one. Don't fool around here, you do know what's at stake.
  • regularly check your progress in your planned progress
I'm with messi on this. I don't want to sound rude, but if you start to complain a handful of weeks before the iron missions are removed (fixed date or not), you certainly have done something wrong for an entire year. In those last days before they are removed you should be working on less important missions that are just nice to have.

I finished what I wanted to finish and I have no iron missions running any more.
I and many others have done very much what you described, I made spreadsheets and notes of what I had outstanding and what priority I needed to give, based on which rewards I felt had greatest value to me. However constraints of gameplay time, or need to meet other obligations in game also (keeping shops stocked, running LAs, running space transport, assisting newer players within soc or as mentor to name a few) have meant that many have not been able to do all they needed/wanted to.
For myself I have done pretty much what I set out to do, except I was defeated by the unannounced removal of Mulmun form the migration while I was mid-hunt. Would have liked to finish one more but in-game society related issues took more time in the past week than I had allowed for. Shame but there it is.
But I do understand the frustration of the many players who play less hours than me, who because of work, family, covid, etc need EU to be their relaxation not another source of stress caused by losing out on the hours and ped spent trying to do things before an arbitrary deadline that was only a fixed date at the last minute

2044 members.

No one lost ped here. You had the codex too. You could have had 2-3 extra years and you still would have waited until the last minute and complained at the end. Time for a change. Let the game evolve.

Also, I will forever hold this thread as an example for anytime any one of you complains about more content and this game growing, evolving, etc or when you complain about lag, etc.

Are you about done voicing your displeasure about other peoples opinions?
You have classic middle management menality.
Thats about the 5th time you have decided for other people how they would have acted and every time you have been wrong.

Also, I will forever hold this thread as an example for anytime any one of you complains about more content and this game growing, evolving, etc or when you complain about lag, etc.
Cool, and I will forever hold your thread proposing a wreckless idea to move Calypso's spaceport out from underneath all of the invested shop owners because someone shot you a few times. Instead of advocating for the obvious soloution there. As to how you have a history of being numb to others interests.

Are you about done voicing your displeasure about other peoples opinions?
You have classic middle management menality.
Thats about the 5th time you have decided for other people how they would have acted and every time you have been wrong.

Last time I am going to address your BS then I will take other action. You should take the rod out from your own eye before pointing at someone else. You have literally been doing this since this thread has been created.

Cool, and I will forever hold your thread proposing a wreckless idea to move Calypso's spaceport out from underneath all of the invested shop owners because someone shot you a few times. Instead of advocating for the obvious soloution there. As to how you have a history of being numb to others interests.

If you actually read my thread, you would have noted that I was not shot at, someone else was. The owner has a history of shooting crafters and people in the mall. Don't let actual facts get in your way. By the way, the invested shop owners have their shops (and may want to consider selling them). No one goes to those shops just because that is where people land from space. Athena Spaceport is much better... because .. you know, it is an ACTUAL SPACE PORT. Heaven forbid we actually think logically and think what is best for the game and the continuity. :unsure: I will also point out that it is a solution that many agree with. Carry on, Stefan.

being numb to others interests.

For the love of... please stop acting as if you were sensitive to others interest; EL.com says you haven't actually worked on any iron since 2012, you just did dailies once in a blue moon and rarely on Calypso. Stop saying progress is being stolen, you show no sign of consuming this type of content, or any sign you would ever attempt doing any iron in the next 10 years so it's more like you are a begging for some freebies. Show some courage and admit it, you want some skill for absolutely free, don't be shy, people love beggars :)

2044 members.

No one lost ped here. You had the codex too. You could have had 2-3 extra years and you still would have waited until the last minute and complained at the end. Time for a change. Let the game evolve.

First thanks for correcting the members of the discord. Maybe we are in different channels or I'm doing something wrong. I just added up "members" of which there 350 and I just estimated the mods, vets (46), and others to make an extra 100.

AGAIN please do no count me in your list of people you hold as an example for future complaints about any of those things you list. I already said I'm fine with it - as much as anyone can be. I hope when I read "you still would have.." that it doesn't refer to me and ask not to be judged on how I would or would not act. I don't understand the prerogative about holding this thread and that seems more negative than any complaints I've read. That's your choice however.

I'm not fine with the communication from MA on this whole change - period.
I play a lot of other games. I guess I'm spoiled with WEEKLY updates, release notes, roadmaps, etc.
I will try hard to make this my last comment in this thread.

Please next time MA let us know a specific date when any big change is happening more than 1 week ahead. Please try. Even if that's the best you can do, then explain. I'm very understanding and think most of the player base is too.
GL out there with those codex!

For the love of... please stop acting as if you were sensitive to others interest; EL.com says you haven't actually worked on any iron since 2012, you just did dailies once in a blue moon and rarely on Calypso. Stop saying progress is being stolen, you show no sign of consuming this type of content, or any sign you would ever attempt doing any iron in the next 10 years so it's more like you are a begging for some freebies. Show some courage and admit it, you want some skill for absolutely free, don't be shy, people love beggars :)
So if he would have my EL list would you act differently?

PS: How can you know that from EL, as they only list Globals and there are many mobs hunted from low-midlevel players that do not give many globals you will see on EL?

Last edited:
Back