Falagor

Stalker
Society
NBK Rangers
Falagor Falagor Frostmaster
Please compare those two images:
[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

On first picture you can see the pile of rutol. On seccond you can NOT but it is still there. Difference is: second one is from a bit farther than first one (max far view).

The graphics on the screenshoots are set to "Very high" on everything. I usually do not play on those settings because i get little "choke" while moving but for screenshoot purposes i am able to set it to very high. (Of course on lower settings the sittuation still occurs).

I am 99% sure that before vu 10 i was able to spot piles of stones/fruits even when the view was most far.

Is it only me or everyone else getting the bad feeling that because of that we may not be spoting ~50% of the piles :confused:.

(FYI: there was 22 rutol in the pile ;)).

@edit: (for people who usually do not read everything in the therad ;))
here is link to my post in this thread with some important data about distnace of the camera: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...ce-view-pile-stones-fruits-2.html#post2133953

Falagor
:bandit:

Last edited:
on medium I have found a considerable amount of stones and fruit .. oh and dung

Bones

You have a very good point there. I too have seen this happen with stuff appearing/disappearing depending on how "in" I was scrolled. Not with stones though, actually I haven't seen any at all since they came back on, but then again I usually run around scrolled all the way "out" unless I have to shoot or extract. Damn.

I wonder also for those who might have changed some cfg to make the grass go away, does that make stones and fruit go away too. :(

I know what you mean, had it happen a few times to me too
But I doubt this is the reason I find less stones now then I did before vu10, fruits and dung are more and more common for me now on my long walks... (still find the stuff pretty far from my feet from time to time tho)

I wonder also for those who might have changed some cfg to make the grass go away, does that make stones and fruit go away too.
This is exactly why I reset my cfg file so any info on that would be great.

(...)
I wonder also for those who might have changed some cfg to make the grass go away, does that make stones and fruit go away too. :(

Good point... next time i will spot pile and will have time to do some experiments i will check: what setting turning on/off may influence on appearing/dissapearing the pile, how far it a/d excatly and from how far (in EU measure) i can spot it from each direction (who knows mayby its easier to spot things from the north i.e. ;)).

Falagor

Ok it seems that people have already posted there (2 posts or i missed something more) that they have noticed appearing/disspaearing stones depending on the angle they are looking at the pile.

Since my last post i was still walking and found only one pile of fruit and i can confirm that settings nor angle nor viewing distance have any influence on seeing the pile of fruits (at least bombardos). So the "dissapearing" fact probably only aplies to stones...

I will still be looking for any stones because i would really like to know how far i can have my camera and of course at what angle if it also matters (and i think i am not the only person who would like to have some data from this experiment :)).

Falagor

I'm not positive on this, but I think I recall collectibles disappearing/not showing from a certain viewing distance outwards before VU 10.

True. Things that are visible with medium scroll view, are not visible if you scroll out at max. Screenshots from op show it.

I also noticed that Chirpy and this kind of small creatures are not visible even if they appear on the radar while Exa for ex are visible even if farther than the Chirpy. So, I think that the size of the object make a big difference.

It's probably to reduce lag. I dont like it but it's better than another 2 pecs taxe if you ask me.

I'm not positive on this, but I think I recall collectibles disappearing/not showing from a certain viewing distance outwards before VU 10.

True. Things was disappering before VU 10 when we walk away.

But now, it's not the distance between the object and the avatar that matter but the distance of the camera (zoom in or out) and also the size of the object.

If MA do not change it, fruits, stones and dung will be pretty rare very soon.

finding

I have found some on birds eye view scrolled all the way out (i'm pretty sure.) at that view point grass and stuff is gone from view but dung etc will show up.
I found a lot the first few days but havne't found much since. It seems when I try to find it... I get nothing. When I just stop to chat or mine or do something is when I have found it.
It's like boiling water... can't get a pot to boil if you are watching it.
I was actually getting frustrated because I'm not finding it much at all now. Something that has a TT value of ZERO should be around more often.

I'm conserding an experinment where I walk from like side of the contient to the other or something like that.... mabye an LA where there are no mobs and see what I can find in that distance. any ideas or bumps on this plan??

I'm conserding an experinment where I walk from like side of the contient to the other or something like that.... mabye an LA where there are no mobs and see what I can find in that distance. any ideas or bumps on this plan??

Yo will find a lot, some or none at all. It is totally random. unless they have changed it for this VU.

Ok... i have found brukite pile and tried different settings. I remind those are tests for how far you can draw back your camera and still see the stones and NOT tests when stones/fruits appear on the ground. Here are important images:
Every setting on "Low". The max distance of camera when the pile is still visible.

Still every setting on "Low". One mousewheel backwards and the pile is already NOT visible.

Only "Objects quality" set to "Very high". The max distance of camera when the pile is still visible on those settings. It is clear that objects quality have much influence on how far from you can see the pile.

"Objects quality" and "Texture quality" set to very high, others on low. Adding texture quality makes the pile a bit less noticable because from far the pile looks a bit "disturbed" with the terrain texture.

Everything on "Very high". Just to show how hard it is to find stones espetially if it is dawn or night :).

Conclusions:
It is very important to set "Objects quality" to very high because you extend from how far your camera "can see" the pile. It will not influence on the distance of ~5 metters from where the pile appears on the ground but at least have set your distance of the camera a bit farther than just behind the back of your avatar.
In my opinion the best way to notice stones/fruits is in the 3rd picture: only "Objects quality" set to very high and others to low. Usually everything is white but stones/fruits are still colourfull so they are easy to notice. (Of course casual play in this mode just sucks hard so if you are not walking for fruits/stones i think it is still better to see "something").
Fruits are visible even if the camera is set to max distance but stones are not! This could be the reason why many people complain that they find only fuits and barely ever a pile of stones. So try adjusting your camera not so far from the avatar and you really may notice the stones are really out there ;) (it is best to try it out by yourself because the setting despite they should be universal, may act differently on different computers).

Pictures made on computer:
System: Windows XP
Processor: Pentium IV 3.0 Ghz
Graphic card: GeForce 8800 GT
RAM: 2.5 Gb

I hope someone will find this information usefull in any way. (If not - i am happy too because at least i know how far i should set the camera when walking for stones ;)).

Thanks to everyone who had patience to read all of this :). If i will find more of something usefull i will post it here too.

@edit:
one more thing: the angle from where you are looking on the pile only matters when you are quite far. It is just my notice and intuition morelike but it seems that if the point where is the camera is inside of a (small) sphere around the pile it should be visible. Thats why when you set camera very close to the ground the pile might be visible and when you move the camrea a bit up you might get out of the "sphere" and the pile dissapears.

Falagor

Last edited:
Check the links again, as they are not working

I was walking north from corinth and then back south and then east towards the OP between Ithaca and Fort medusa and I found some fruits and a pile of dung during that walk not a single stone.
And a few days after I made 75% of the walk again but "cheated" and run up t Ithaca instead, and I found some fruit and a pile of 91kaldon on that walk.

So as you see I usually do long walks like this for finding stuff, it's free and you even gain some skills when small mobs attack you :)
Always almost half(I think) zoomed out 3rd person view with perhaps 30degree angle on the camera

I tried to find rocks but they ran away when they heard me near so I have never found any. Maybe this vu will let me catch some :scratch2:

Check the links again, as they are not working

Should be working now properly.... i have no idea what might have happened but links in my first post also stoped working. Fixed both. Thx for notcie.

@edit:
Ok i have learned something new :). Changed all images to "Clickable thumbnails" :).

Falagor

Back