Help: Distributing Numbers - Math Problem

R4tt3xx

I want to believe
Society
Freelancer
Alexis Sky Greenstar
I need some help. I will state the problem and show a pic of my solution to it.

I need to evenly distribute x numbers in a circle with radius g, where each x number has a radius of r. Only a single formula can be used and all the above parameters can be changed at any given time.

Lets put in some values

x=60 g=500 and r=54

I am not going to place the formulae online but would this result be correct for the above values ?

Also is this the only possible answer :)

Just to clarify:
  • you want to place x number of points inside a circle (radius g)
  • each point has a unique radius (r)
  • the points are distributed evenly

Is that correct? If so, I don't think (by intuition only) a spiral pattern such as yours is the only way to do it.

Edit: I also think my previous comment is wrong.

Last edited:
concentric circles with varying R={0, 2r,4r,6r,8r} is the easiest solution

what you posted is unstructured, not even, and contains overlap

there are 1000's of answers, since 500²>>60*54^2

concentric circles with varying R={0, 2r,4r,6r,8r} is the easiest solution

what you posted is unstructured, not even, and contains overlap

there are 1000's of answers, since 500²>>60*54^2

I know that it is uneven and due to rotation that there can be more than one answer, but the figure was created using one forumula, I would think that concentric circles would require multiple formulae.

I know that it is uneven and due to rotation that there can be more than one answer, but the figure was created using one forumula, I would think that concentric circles would require multiple formulae.

There are still thousands. Considering your own solution doesn't even care about overlap, if i negate that like you did, there are are is an uncountable number (more than 10^324)

I could just use a formula of "pick something at random" 60 times and it would achieve the same as your outcome, since you have ignored overlap.

Perhaps I should rephrase this, What I want to do is with one formula, draw up a grid where each point is the same distance apart as other points in the grid.

I am not sure if this is possible or not, thats why I am asking this question to the guys that are REALLY good with math. I am not really going into specifics and trying to be as discreet is possible.

ohh noes the math is haunting me... even on PCF now... *sigh*

Perhaps I should rephrase this, What I want to do is with one formula, draw up a grid where each point is the same distance apart as other points in the grid.

I am not sure if this is possible or not, thats why I am asking this question to the guys that are REALLY good with math. I am not really going into specifics and trying to be as discreet is possible.

Such a "grid" already exists - it is called a honeycomb.

lol, this problem can be solved by a six year old. I find it amusing that you fail to state any meaningful initial conditions, and then claim that it's a really tough problem

or it can just be iterated cartesian coordinates :)

Honeycomb is wrong, My grid is a circle not a square, you also cannot get 60 points onto a honeycomb.

Turn 0 = 1 point 1 total
Turn 1 = 6 points 7 total
Turn 2 = 12 points 19 total
Turn 3 = 18 points 37 Total
Turn 4 = 24 points 61 Total

SO close, lets check distance grid is 500 so therefore the distance between each turn is 500/4 = 125 units. Sorry INCORRECT.

JUst checking your math wizzszz

Last edited:
Honeycomb is wrong, My grid is a circle not a square, you also cannot get 60 points onto a honeycomb.

Sorry, i have no friggin idea wha you are trying to tell us here...

Turn 0 = 1 point 1 total
Turn 1 = 6 points 7 total
Turn 2 = 12 points 19 total
Turn 3 = 18 points 37 Total
Turn 4 = 24 points 61 Total

What you describe there is EXACTLY a honeycomb - ok, for the math impaired:

Take coins of the same size.
Put them on a flat surface.
Now try to arrange them in a way that they consume as little as possible space.
(You will eventually find out that it doesn't matter if you form a square or a circle - the "grid" stays the same)

Voilà - you've just created a honeycomb!
(I really thought i wouldn't need to point out that your points are the center points of the hexagons)

Sorry INCORRECT.

:laugh:

JUst checking your math wizzszz

Funny line - don't you think that checking someone's math would need someone with a bit of math knowledge?

x=60 g=500 and r=54

I have processed this before.

Do it with the coins and you will see that you end up with 61 coins, regardless this is pointless as even distribution no longer matches what I want.

x=60 g=500 and r=54

I have processed this before.

Do it with the coins and you will see that you end up with 61 coins, ...

This is a side effect of your malformed starting criteria - you can either specify x OR r, not both, as x is a direct result of g and r (or r a direct result of x and g) - unless not distributed evenly, or you leave some empty space in your circle.

However, to bring this to an end: ANY grid with points in same distance is a honeycomb, no matter what shape your envelope is.

... as even distribution no longer matches what I want.

Don't expect anyone to spend more than a minute on your next "i need a formula" thread when your theories are that weak. Actually, you should maybe stop making math based theories at all and instead have a try at theories based on faith, Lootius or the consistence of Marcos first stool in the morning.

This is a side effect of your malformed starting criteria - you can either specify x OR r, not both, as x is a direct result of g and r (or r a direct result of x and g) - unless not distributed evenly, or you leave some empty space in your circle.

However, to bring this to an end: ANY grid with points in same distance is a honeycomb, no matter what shape your envelope is.

Don't expect anyone to spend more than a minute on your next "i need a formula" thread when your theories are that weak. Actually, you should maybe stop making math based theories at all and instead have a try at theories based on faith, Lootius or the consistence of Marcos first stool in the morning.

60 seconds is more than enough. A hex is one of many answers, question is which one gives the most loot ?

I will give a clue, make a circle the diameter of your "average mining depth" Center that circle somewhere in the world, mine on those points and think to yourself I am climbing down a flight of stairs when you start getting skillgains. Use both entmatter and ore, rookie tools are quite good to see this, more expensive tools, well, mining out a 500m wide circle is a bit much.

60 seconds is more than enough.

I've wasted more than 1 minute on this crap already, just to have a complete math noob tell me that i am wrong... :rolleyes:

A hex is one of many answers,...

Oh, i thought you already moved on to the next theory?

... question is which one gives the most loot ?

This is hardly a question that can be solved by whatever you try here...

I will give a clue, make a circle the diameter of your "average mining depth" Center that circle somewhere in the world, mine on those points and think to yourself I am climbing down a flight of stairs when you start getting skillgains. Use both entmatter and ore, rookie tools are quite good to see this, more expensive tools, well, mining out a 500m wide circle is a bit much.

R4tt3xx, please - don't give advices.
I, for one, do pretty well in mining by dropping my bombs and probes on random spots - if you have to dive deeper into your obsession and become as delusional as Legion (well, actually you already did that long before Legion posted his crap), well, that's up to you - i already have a sufficient answer on how to find claims:

Move, drop bombs.

*unsubscribes*

I've wasted more than 1 minute on this crap already, just to have a complete math noob tell me that i am wrong... :rolleyes:

Oh, i thought you already moved on to the next theory?

This is hardly a question that can be solved by whatever you try here...

R4tt3xx, please - don't give advices.
I, for one, do pretty well in mining by dropping my bombs and probes on random spots - if you have to dive deeper into your obsession and become as delusional as Legion (well, actually you already did that long before Legion posted his crap), well, that's up to you - i already have a sufficient answer on how to find claims:

*unsubscribes*

Legion is a lot smarter than what I even gave him credit. Sure he is not good at the actual math and putting it together, but he is insightful and told me AGAIN that it is working like a clock. The spiral has been redone and I am about to add depth to my already Excel prediction sheet.

Thanks for your time wizzszz, but please do not insult someone who is not even posting in this thread.

I understand now that all theories are correct and all theories are false at the same time, depending of course which universe you happen to be in at the time. If one could see all the possible universes at once, one would be able to pick one and choose a theory to apply to it. Or just apply a natural law that is applicable to all possible universes.

I understand now that all theories are correct and all theories are false at the same time, depending of course which universe you happen to be in at the time. If one could see all the possible universes at once, one would be able to pick one and choose a theory to apply to it. Or just apply a natural law that is applicable to all possible universes.

Mining globals in 2010 for Legion: 8
Mining globals in 2010 for R4tt3xx: 7

I think you two should drop more bombs/probes instead of only talking about it all the time - all theories are null and void if you do not even have some practical experience to base your assumptions on.

But, having read quite some of your and Legions posts, i am sure there's a lame excuse for the lack of practice, too.

I am finding so many systems that work.

It's hex based, ie base 16 - Confirmed
Golden Spiral applies - Confirmed
Ulam's Spiral - Confirmed

Im running around with rookie tools, having a blast and manipulating so much math that my head is going to explode.

Heres the math for a (basically) 1 formula natural distribution spread.

You need to know the area that you want to scan in, I will call that the grid and you need to know how many points are in your grid.

Seed in this refers to a number in the sequence and is incremented by 1.
Radius is calculated as follows Grid / 2 / sqrt (Square root) Maximum seed (Max value of seeds that you want to scan for).
Theta = 2*pi*seed*0.6180339 (phi).
Distance = sqrt(seed)*radius.

The rest is basic.

X= base x coord( The middle coordinate that you want to use for x)+(cos(theta)*distance).
Y= base y coord + (sin(theta)*distance)

Back