Do mining amps act as Loot 'Multipliers'

AckerZ

Old Alpha
Society
Dirty Dingos
Anonymous AckerZ Anonymous
Having a bit of trouble figuring out mining amps and how they pertain to mining loot. I crafted a few of the basic Technician ones the Finder Amp (1) Light added them to my finder and seem to just get poor returns. I have used probably 50peds in these amps.

If they are meant to improve return how do I calculate the estimated return boost they would give over unamped mining. Is it related to the efficiency number they give or is it simply the decay they add to each mining attempt?

Of course they do. They amplify as their name says. And basing this on just 50 ped cycled and saying your return is poor, is quite frankly a joke to even consider giving an explanation for. Don't amp if you can't afford to cycle atleast 50x the amp cost.

So a viable dataset in your mind is 50amps?

Also how do I know what the multiplier is? Like what is the multiplier difference between a Level 1 and a Level 1 Light?

Amps do not work as a return booster. They actually do the opposite(sort of). They work as a cost increaser. They basically increase your cost per click, this increasing the loot you get when you hit.

There is more to it than this, some that you can find quite easily by searching the forums, others you may have to discover on your own.

Best of luck!

Also how do I know what the multiplier is? Like what is the multiplier difference between a Level 1 and a Level 1 Light?

Since it's not a multiplier for loot it's even more simple than you make it out to be.

The difference between the two amps is the difference in cost per click between the amps

So a viable dataset in your mind is 50amps?

I didn't say 50 amps is a viable dataset. I'm saying don't even amp if you can't afford to recycle or test more than just 50 peds worth of amps. Ferial has said plenty, and let me ask you kindly to spend just 5-10 minutes researching or asking friends/society before publicly asking.

Ferial has it. Let’s say you’re using level 5 amps and normal finders (10 probes for enmatter = 0.5 ped / drop, ore = 1 ped / drop, etc.).

Adding in the amp TT, you’re now at 2.5 and 3 ped / drop, respectively. Just throwing out random numbers, but assuming for example your average TT drop is 90% ± 20% of the drop cost, you’re just shifting what that calculation is based on or where the center of variation is.

For unamped ore, that would be 0.7 to 1.1 ped

For level 5 amped ore, that would be 2.1 to 3.3 ped

Again, those aren’t hard numbers, just for concept. If you want to think in terms of multipliers, mining amps just increase the base value a “multiplier” is applied to. If you got lucky and found a 10 ped ore claim unamped, you theoretically would have hit 30 ped of you used a level 5 instead.

The danger with amps is you are more susceptible to No Resources Found math-wise. If you find nothing unamped, 0 is still close to what your average claim size is. That’s similar enough to your normal bell-shaped (sort of) curve for claim size. As you go to bigger amps, it becomes more bimodal as you jump between misses and claims, which can change the math of how averages work a bit.

I didn't say 50 amps is a viable dataset. I'm saying don't even amp if you can't afford to recycle or test more than just 50 peds worth of amps. Ferial has said plenty, and let me ask you kindly to spend just 5-10 minutes researching or asking friends/society before publicly asking.
Why on a public forum would I refrain from asking? Isn't that the whole point of this forum you don't have to answer...

I have researched and read the guides but still not sure hence why I started this thread. Im unsure of how you calculate the difference between the amps, what am I looking for on the amp information page that explains the differences between them, all i can see is the efficiency rate increase between each amp, is this the multiplier? is this the ped cost in decay?

I don't get your point at all...

Why on a public forum would I refrain from asking? Isn't that the whole point of this forum you don't have to answer...

I have researched and read the guides but still not sure hence why I started this thread. Im unsure of how you calculate the difference between the amps, what am I looking for on the amp information page that explains the differences between them, all i can see is the efficiency rate increase between each amp, is this the multiplier? is this the ped cost in decay?

FYI “efficiency” means almost nothing on mining amps. It gives you a rough idea of a proportional increase in mined resources, but says nothing directly intuitive about TT, etc. just stick to drop cost for any comparisons. Something with the same drop cost like level 8 and D-class will have the same “efficiency”, but that term shouldn’t be confounded with how efficiency is used in hunting.

FYI “efficiency” means almost nothing on mining amps. It gives you a rough idea of a proportional increase in mined resources, but says nothing directly intuitive about TT, etc. just stick to drop cost for any comparisons. Something with the same drop cost like level 8 and D-class will have the same “efficiency”, but that term shouldn’t be confounded with how efficiency is used in hunting.
Seeing im coming from a hunting background where things like efficiency have a logical consequence on the returns you get, which is probably why im slightly confused by the mining terms not following the same logic.

So when looking at the Level 1 Finder Amp Light it says efficiency 1.3 but it decays .50pec per use. Those two numbers aren't related at all? And from looking at the amp how can I tell the decay increase before using it?

And that .50pec amp increase is just going into the same looting algorithm that works off cost in as the baseline + (randomly generated multiplier) - so the amp isn't increasing the multiplier its increasing the base cost is what you are saying?

Seeing im coming from a hunting background where things like efficiency have a logical consequence on the returns you get, which is probably why im slightly confused by the mining terms not following the same logic.

So when looking at the Level 1 Finder Amp Light it says efficiency 1.3 but it decays .50pec per use. Those two numbers aren't related at all? And from looking at the amp how can I tell the decay increase before using it?

And that .50pec amp increase is just going into the same looting algorithm that works off cost in as the baseline + (randomly generated multiplier) - so the amp isn't increasing the multiplier its increasing the base cost is what you are saying?

In short, yes on all fronts. If you want to look up decay (like you would have to for weapons), check the wiki.

Also, a level 1 decays .25 ped per use.

There is a relative relation to decay and efficiency though. A level 8 has double the efficiency of a level 5, or 4 ped vs. 2 ped. It’s really only a relative scale for comparing amps and not really that useful when you can look up the stats. That said, think of amp efficiency as roughly equivalent to DPS in hunting. It just lets you cycle quicker.

did you hunt with attachments? It's kind of the same principle. A101 is increasing your damage but also your cost per click, etc.

Back