Question: Does using amps decrease the claims rate?

Pratahn

Guardian
Also I read somewhere a rule of thumb - lvl of the profession (prospector for example) = 5 times the level of the amps. Is this connected to the reducing of the claim rate? And is this the reason the amps are divided at basic, medium, high and professional?

Claim Rate

Also I read somewhere a rule of thumb - lvl of the profession (prospector for example) = 5 times the level of the amps. Is this connected to the reducing of the claim rate? And is this the reason the amps are divided at basic, medium, high and professional?

Not AFAIK, my records seem to hover at a claim rate of about 25-30% (except on FOMA where it is far less but the claim amounts are much higher to compensate) regardless of what amp I use or if I run without one. Note that this is over long term. On any particular run I have seen rates as low as 12% and as high as 60%.

I think amp's have connection with "efficiency" and total value of claim (there your level counts).
Rates depends where you drop and when.

But even if I mining 3 years I can't call myself expert or professional miner.

I prefer to mine with amp planetside (when I feel lucky and loaded of PED) and unamped on FOMA/Hell most of the times. But I had low as Neil mentioned (unamped mostly), not surprises there.

Last edited:
I think amp's have connection with "efficiency" and total value of claim (there your level counts).
Rates depends where you drop and when.

But even if I mining 3 years I can't call myself expert or professional miner.

I prefer to mine with amp planetside (when I feel lucky and loaded of PED) and unamped on FOMA/Hell most of the times. But I had low as Neil mentioned (unamped mostly), not surprises there.

FYI, efficiency is just decay * 5. So larger decay = larger find. Proportionally as well. Falkoa did some maths on it here somewhere. (level, if you are talking about professional level, has no effect on claim size)

I agree with the others, claim rate is the same, apart from CND, Hell etc, where your search radius is halfed, claim rate is reduced and average claim size is increased, to compensate, but again all proportionally. Same tt returns everywhere.

Rgds

Ace

One word of warning.....it is easy to become disillusioned with amps.

For example, when most people try out amps for the first time. They usually (myself included, when i started out many years ago), don't have enough ped to drop a GOOD number of bombs with them.

People usually try one or two amps, and get a bad hitrate, thinking amps decrease in hitrate. The reality is, you have to spend proportionately more peds to get a good average hit rate.

So, if you are use to 100 ped runs unamped, and have enough to not have the need to completed orders on auction. You will need, as an example, 900 peds spare. So you can turnover easily.

Now take D-class amp. Decay 4 peds.
Instead of 1 ped per drop, it is now 5 ped per drop.

So you will need 500 ped per run, and 900 *5 = 4500 ped in spare. (but there is another added problem, you are no longer selling small amounts, so you will probably need much higher bankroll)

Now most people go out with 300 bombs to reduce outliers. (1000 is more realistic, but most wouldnt do that)

So, now times everything by 3.

You need 1500 ped per run with 13000 ish ped reserve. Just try to get a half decent average return. (not including markup)

So, this is just a warning when trying out amps. MASSIVE pinch of salt when you look at your returns on short runs. TRY AND THINK IN NUMBER OF DROPS, rather than ped spent. This will save you a whole load of heartache.

Rgds

Ace

Since were mentioning lower hit rate but larger claim size on FOMA...

On FOMA I'm starting to see ore (not enmat) claims of V-VIII unamped and IX-XI with a level 8 or d-class a lot more often. That's not what we go to FOMA for, that's what we mine planetside for.

Amps and Claim Rate

One word of warning.....it is easy to become disillusioned with amps.

For example, when most people try out amps for the first time. They usually (myself included, when i started out many years ago), don't have enough ped to drop a GOOD number of bombs with them.

People usually try one or two amps, and get a bad hitrate, thinking amps decrease in hitrate. The reality is, you have to spend proportionately more peds to get a good average hit rate.

Ace

Couldn't agree with you more. You have to drop lots and lots with or without amps to see results, unless you get super lucky (but don't count on it). Back in the day when I started mining, I dropped as many probes as I was able because my soc mates told me that was the only way to go if I wanted to mine. It was true then and is still true today.

As a heavily user of amps I can state that it doesn't really have an impact claimwise.
Seems that sometimes I do pretty good claimwise and sometimes not. Believe claimsrate only is impacted when u go AU, FOMA or Hell.

Simon

Is there a difference in the pattern u drop unamped and amped bombs? I read a lot and some players say when mining amped to drop the bombs at somewhat bigger distance then 108-110 meters?

drop distance

Is there a difference in the pattern u drop unamped and amped bombs? I read a lot and some players say when mining amped to drop the bombs at somewhat bigger distance then 108-110 meters?

not that i have ever found, but I am sure you'll find miners saying the opposite.

Ok, guys thank you for the help.
To summarize - me trying to use D class amp (ores only) when I am just a level 15 prospector cannot be the reason for my bad claim rate, right?
So if I have problems with the claim rate mining amped should look somewhere else.

Claim Rates

Ok, guys thank you for the help.
To summarize - me trying to use D class amp (ores only) when I am just a level 15 prospector cannot be the reason for my bad claim rate, right?
So if I have problems with the claim rate mining amped should look somewhere else.

I wouldn't think that it would be a problem, but if I could make a suggestion, I would try using Level 5 amps unless you have lots of ped on your card. 100 amped drops tends to even things out a lot better than 40 for the D-Class.

I wouldn't think that it would be a problem, but if I could make a suggestion, I would try using Level 5 amps unless you have lots of ped on your card. 100 amped drops tends to even things out a lot better than 40 for the D-Class.

The problem is I've made already 240 amped drops with D class with 55% TT return (on Calypso); when unamped I was very rarely falling under 75-80% TT.

Last edited:
The problem is I've made already 240 amped drops with D class with 55% TT return (on Calypso); when unamped I was very rarely falling under 75-80% TT.

I would still say you haven't made enough drops to be able to tell.

I would still say you haven't made enough drops to be able to tell.

Indeed. I tend to do runs that consist of about 200 drop outings as subsamples in a way currently using D-class. I still get a lot of variation in each subsample in claim rate.

Indeed. I tend to do runs that consist of about 200 drop outings as subsamples in a way currently using D-class. I still get a lot of variation in each subsample in claim rate.

Yeah, my runs tend to be a minimum of 6 Level 5 amps worth, so 600 drops

Back