e-sports explosion!

Skill. Any by that i mean skill in the form of game play. We don't have any skill shots (arguable with skilldeks/vrex) or exciting gameplay at all. Its literally shoot shoot shoot heal shoot shoot shoot. [...]
See? That's what happens if u play other games and try bring their concept over here without thinking...

Yes, EU doesn't have skillshots. Instead, it has avatars who's every shot is more powerful than a skillshot. It has avatars who are in the constant godmode. In EU there's no way how a cocky noob who created his account yesterday could rule the game with perfectly aimed headshots. That's the whole point. EU's strong suite is NOT to try to be a copycat but instead provide an alternative way.

Think about it. Not everyone has lightning fast reactions, superior spatial awareness and kickass hand-eye coordination. The reality is quite the opposite, there's millions of people out there who can't even dream about competing in those areas with anyone, ever.
So here it is, the safe haven for our Average Joe. In EU he has a chance, here he can become someone. OK he prolly won't be the best PK'er ingame. The movement technics and aim still means something. But at least he can become a valuable member of the team. This is something everyone can achieve. Takes time and effort but at least it's possible. That's the whole idea, that's how it was designed.

Who hasn't realized that has never understood the EU concept at all. I just hope there's someone left at MA who hasn't forgotten how this game works. Sometimes i have my doubts. :tongue2:

See? That's what happens if u play other games and try bring their concept over here without thinking...

Yes, EU doesn't have skillshots. Instead, it has avatars who's every shot is more powerful than a skillshot. It has avatars who are in the constant godmode. In EU there's no way how a cocky noob who created his account yesterday could rule the game with perfectly aimed headshots. That's the whole point. EU's strong suite is NOT to try to be a copycat but instead provide an alternative way.

Think about it. Not everyone has lightning fast reactions, superior spatial awareness and kickass hand-eye coordination. The reality is quite the opposite, there's millions of people out there who can't even dream about competing in those areas with anyone, ever.
So here it is, the safe haven for our Average Joe. In EU he has a chance, here he can become someone. OK he prolly won't be the best PK'er ingame. The movement technics and aim still means something. But at least he can become a valuable member of the team. This is something everyone can achieve. Takes time and effort but at least it's possible. That's the whole idea, that's how it was designed.

Who hasn't realized that has never understood the EU concept at all. I just hope there's someone left at MA who hasn't forgotten how this game works. Sometimes i have my doubts. :tongue2:

I've been around for over 10 years so I think I understand the concept and gameplay quite well. That being said, the conversation here was how would it be possible for EU to become more competitive so that it would bring in spectators and/or competitions. With the current gameplay and combat system, I do not believe that it would ever support a competitive playground on a grand scale. That is why I proposed a 'instance' based change which would only change the gameplay when you are participating in the instance. It's slowly happening with creature control pills in a way.. you transform your hotkeys to different abilities and act as a mob. The same can be done where upon entering an instance, you take over a healing /dps / tank/ support/ etc. role and work as a team of 5 to get through the instance. Everything can be isolated to these instances and/or battleground while the majority of EU remains on the same gameplay as it is today.

I've been around for over 10 years so I think I understand the concept and gameplay quite well. That being said, the conversation here was how would it be possible for EU to become more competitive so that it would bring in spectators and/or competitions. With the current gameplay and combat system, I do not believe that it would ever support a competitive playground on a grand scale. That is why I proposed a 'instance' based change which would only change the gameplay when you are participating in the instance. It's slowly happening with creature control pills in a way.. you transform your hotkeys to different abilities and act as a mob. The same can be done where upon entering an instance, you take over a healing /dps / tank/ support/ etc. role and work as a team of 5 to get through the instance. Everything can be isolated to these instances and/or battleground while the majority of EU remains on the same gameplay as it is today.
Competitive Playground. It's a team with clearly defined different roles (tank, healer, dps, support) raiding a cave (instance). Every last friggin game shamelessly copies this formula these days. It's the new golden standard, a must have, a game isn't really a game without it. Yes ofc. What was i thinking. :ahh:

world-of-warcraft.jpg

Competitive Playground. It's a team with clearly defined different roles (tank, healer, dps, support) raiding a cave (instance). Every last friggin game shamelessly copies this formula these days. It's the new golden standard, a must have, a game isn't really a game without it. Yes ofc. What was i thinking. :ahh:

world-of-warcraft.jpg

People copy it because people want it. Not sure why you have such an anti-wow boner but to each their own. I am solely answering the question but I am sure as shit that no one will watch (and the numbers show on twitch) this gameplay at a grand scale. So unless you can propose a better idea that is so outside the box and better than what is available and/or proposed, you should probably stick your asshole, sarcastic comments someplace else.

Cheers

@Hypnotic

I get that instances and raids would add a proven interesting dimension to the game play. I think there are already some structures that could be tweaked that are somewhat like it. The closest probably being Beacon runs, or the Core events.

But I think you missed my question before, which is, how does that relate to the kind of e-sport tournament activity the NYT article is talking about?

How could you tournamentize (yes I just made that up) that kind of activity so that it would create a spectator/sponsor draw?

I don't know if EU can be 'tournamentized' :silly2:

As we've said before LG was about the closest thing that could draw spectators.
At the very least it really has to be PVP and when you consider the dollars required to make even one team member competitive then it would take a drastic change to something that probably doesnt even resemble EU to make that work.

I like sarcasm cuz it's sharp and short.
Sharp things tend to cut thou, sry for that.

OK, I'm not against instance raids. Been there done that myself.
Not even against bringing it in EU. We already have instances, why not go all the way and replicate the whole formula, roles included.
Is it the magic formula for success? Nope.

The formula for success is to create your own vision, find your own way. Then stick to it, have faith in it, develop it, build it up, try to make it perfect.
EU has it's own native LG concept. It can be tournamentized. Problems can be solved. Where there's a will there's a way.
If u have lost your own vision, however, if u don't have faith in your own way then u try to jump on a badwagon that worked for someone else. And another, and another... and u never get anywhere.

I like sarcasm cuz it's sharp and short.
Sharp things tend to cut thou, sry for that.

OK, I'm not against instance raids. Been there done that myself.
Not even against bringing it in EU. We already have instances, why not go all the way and replicate the whole formula, roles included.
Is it the magic formula for success? Nope.

As for raids and instances, I don't think you need to introduce some kind of new roles, I don't see a need to change what people already do naturally with their avatars in this game, some people like to heal, they will heal, others like maximizing dps and everyone loves HP, the tank/dps hybrid can work for most. However, the more hp you have the more you can tank, the higher dps the team has, the less hits the tank has to take, etc.

The formula for success is to create your own vision, find your own way. Then stick to it, have faith in it, develop it, build it up, try to make it perfect.
EU has it's own native LG concept. It can be tournamentized. Problems can be solved. Where there's a will there's a way.
If u have lost your own vision, however, if u don't have faith in your own way then u try to jump on a badwagon that worked for someone else. And another, and another... and u never get anywhere.

tumblr_lzwi4aiHVm1rpavx9o1_500.jpg

I think competitve LG is the only thing that can be tournametized here. But hopefully in a HUB style like on cyrene so its a skill based competition, not pay to win with the best items

Looking at the big picture, the concept of the Planet Partners was ingenious. All games always need new content. Instead of struggling to create this new content alone u call in whole Design studios to do that for u. Ingenious.
Provided, u're able to keep developing the platform (engine customization level), keep pushing the boundaries further and thus open up new opportunities for all the Planet Partners.
If u fail, however, the opposite happens - all your creative partners will be trapped inside and eventually suffocate.

The infrastructure to support large-scale events would be something that would benefit all sides - playerbase, PP's and the Platform. Win/Win/Win.
However, it might not be very good at generating immediate income.
  • If it's used for large-scale events (i.e. massive Robot Invasion) there's a chance for some immediate profit.
  • If it's used for large-scale PvP battles (LandGrab) - to really make it work u have to apply the rule of 10% ammo burn to the whole thing. Which is a risky business. U pay a lot for the engine customization/optimization so it can support lots of players and then u give up all the profit by letting em play there almost for free...
It's a risky investment with low ROI. Then again, it's also one of the very few options that could actually save the game in the long term from suffocating from the acute lack of purpose and motivation... I suppose? :smoke:

Imagine a winning pot like this this for game!

Back