Elite: Dangerous

Lighterthief

Stalker
Society
Delta Force
Lighter LT Thief
So way back in 1984 on a BBC Micro a game called Elite was released.

439589-elite-bbc-micro-screenshot-title-screens.jpg

It was revolutionary, vector graphics, openended game play. The ultimate space flight/trade/whatever u want game.
Im sure many of us of a certain age spent hours trying to manually rotate our ships to try to dock, untill we could afford docking computers.

bbc_micro_elite_screenshot.jpg

ah the fun that could be had with vectors lol

Well as a result of a kickstarter project over £2million was raised to bring Elite back from the 80's graveyard.

Today it went Alpha !! Full release is scheduled for next year

Im so excited, kinda like a opportunity to relive my youth!
The ships are all the same, sidewinders, vipers (all named after snakes iirc) I cant quite believe i am recognizing them after around 30 years. Of course they look a little bit swisher now.

piratelanding16x9.jpg

Im so excited, feel like a kid just before xmas!!!

I hope it isnt as buggy as Elite 2 and 3 were. ;)

Looks fab.

I hope the docking computer isnt too expensive

Ah, so many weeks were wasted playing it on Spectrum a quarter-century ago :ahh:

Trying to play it on a clone HC-85 was a nightmare, I always gave up in less time that it took to load from an audio tape :)

But then I was a fan of Dizzy :)

Wow never heard of this one. It's cool to see old memories revived in full color.

I did play a lot of TradeWars 2002 through dialup to a nearby college BBS in 1991 or so, though. :)

....I always gave up in less time that it took to load from an audio tape :)

oh loading from tape :D hehe that brings back memories.... copying games with high speed dubbing twin tape decks lol

Ahh the coveted docking computer, wasn't there an uber pirate npc that was very feared? Played on C-64 over 25 years ago....

One of the best games of all time...

It still influences games of today e.g. EVE online

I hope it isnt as buggy as Elite 2 and 3 were. ;)

yet despite the bugs, emmensly playable. maybe more so as you could afford some half decent kit from one bug.

cant wait for this, i put in on the kickstarter as soon as i heard of it last year. just goes to show what can be done in a year for £2m...

I remember playing this as a 6 year old and not having a clue how to play it and then playing the game with the boulders in a maze where you collect gems and shit that some dude made a better version of years later on the programmable PSOne. Then I moved onto the C64 and discovered "Eye ball" and many other fun games and eventually Robocop and "The Last Ninja" which transformed gaming at the time. Then NES, SNES, PSX, PS2, PS3 and PS4, with a Game Cube thrown in there purely for Pikmin.

I played it on Amiga. Fab game.

The first game I was able to go from sitting around a table with grid-paper and imagining it, to actually being able to walk around in a dungeon on my tv:

It was literally the coolest thing I had ever seen at that time (I was like 8 or 9 years old) (Was AD&D on "Intellivision", around 1983 or so)

It's amazing how far this stuff has come in 30 years. :)

Back