End of Bink video ingame... peds back?

BlueBoy

Old Alpha
Carloz BlueBoy DeFortisimo
Support for video files (Bink) has been removed. It is no longer possible to display videos on ingame screens. As a replacement, we are investigating support for streaming YouTube videos.

Am I the only one that did not see this coming? Shame when this was one of the only best way to make custom dynamic materials ingame.

So sad I went into my PC Archive to at least remove the movies I uploaded to get the peds back for them (the value they had as uploaded and that you were promised back if you ever deleted them), and the movies were not there at all anymore. Have anyone heard something about this? Lost peds or....?

/Oz

I would say they have to repay everyone they removed video files for - and for some people, like I would assume JamHOT, who I know had alot of video stuff uploaded.. that could amount to a nice chunk of peds.

Man that sucks for those who had peds tied up in that content.

XZC

Google keeps blocking access to youtube for roku and a few other gizmos and gadgets... so unless MA better have a good negotiator on hand to get youtube in game.

Google keeps blocking access to youtube for roku and a few other gizmos and gadgets... so unless MA better have a good negotiator on hand to get youtube in game.

MA can always negotiate with megaerotic or xvideos :) they don't seem to care much about bandwith as long as you give/allow them to gain something in return.

with SOPA comming youtube might be a bad choice

uTube should (hopefully) be a lot cheaper than uploading files - and less hassle of conversions.

Hopefully they will FILTER OUT the terrible pop-ups/adverts of the utube videos! That alone is a HUGE put-off!

Did not know this. I agree that we should be refunded for the videos we uploaded. Will send a support case about this as well.

Yeah... I have also sent support case about this. However it is a bit weird I think... not sure what the reasons MA had to remove this feature. Copyright issues? Bandwith issues? Server issues(!)? Since they seem willing let people stream Youtube videos I guess it is not about bandwith issues though.

It all was so sudden and unexpected. They realy adverted when this feature was introduced... but now permanently terminated the service without any further explanation. And note it is a differece between "not implemented yet", "removed to improve" and "removed". So atm no plans for it to ever come back. :(

/Oz

Yeah... I have also sent support case about this. However it is a bit weird I think... not sure what the reasons MA had to remove this feature. Copyright issues? Bandwith issues? Server issues(!)? Since they seem willing let people stream Youtube videos I guess it is not about bandwith issues though.

Actualy streaming video from youtube if done correctly will freeup a lot of bandwith and server load in EU. For it to be effective like this MA will need the streaming to be done directly to the clients instead of first passing through one of their servers, likely all their servers will handle with this is storing the link to the content on youtube and your client will handle fetching the link and streaming it to you directly from youtube cutting out the EU servers completely.

Also this can be worth wile if you can manage to change your video on youtube and keep the same link, then you can actualy change your adds as you want without having to pay a fee again :)

It´s not only they just killed the Videos on Personal Displays and removed the files from the List.
Beside i uploaded some videos which did cost me quite a lot, i did also sell those videos as "Fishtank" or "Modern Fireplace" to people. Now my Customers paid for the content and i paid for the upload and MA simply removes the complete system...

Question is how will they refund me AND my Customers?

Actualy streaming video from youtube if done correctly will freeup a lot of bandwith and server load in EU. For it to be effective like this MA will need the streaming to be done directly to the clients instead of first passing through one of their servers, likely all their servers will handle with this is storing the link to the content on youtube and your client will handle fetching the link and streaming it to you directly from youtube cutting out the EU servers completely.

Also this can be worth wile if you can manage to change your video on youtube and keep the same link, then you can actualy change your adds as you want without having to pay a fee again :)

True true... sometimes I forget that EU is a local client. ^^ And this way they also might get away from the copyright issue as well. However this will prolly take a year or two.. so why did they just cut the wire?

So Bear... this is very strange of MA since they pushed this function so hard when it came. They might owe us some peds but also an answer to why they at all did it. As with many things though...

uTube should (hopefully) be a lot cheaper than uploading files - and less hassle of conversions.

Hopefully they will FILTER OUT the terrible pop-ups/adverts of the utube videos! That alone is a HUGE put-off!

Three words, ad block plus.

Ofc can't be used in eu, still for all normal uses, if it bothers you, ad block plus

As for this change, I'm glad they finally made the first step. Should be a huge enhancement for eu.

Any participants who had active Participant Content videos that were lost due to this change should submit a support case to inquire about the possibilty of some sort of remedy.

one day we want outside advertizers to pay for our loot. next day we hate adds.
if the income from those adds is added to the loot pool - why not some adds.

Any participants who had active Participant Content videos that were lost due to this change should submit a support case to inquire about the possibilty of some sort of remedy.

Possibilty of some sort of remedy? :mad:

Are you crazy?

I have read this: http://legal.entropiauniverse.com/legal/participant-content-policy.xml

MindArk provides You with the hosting services for the said content (the “Participant Content System”).

MindArk reserves the right to, without prior notice, remove Participant Content and/or revoke Your access to upload material, if MindArk determines, at MindArk’s sole discretion, that uploaded material does not comply with the above limitations

So, where is the part saying: Hey, we will just delet your content if we like...

1. I (we all) paid for the Hosting Service. You failed the provide that service since VU10 because of bugs (atlast for some content, but for 100% of my Video content)

2. You killed every buisiness reagarding Personal Content on Displays - since VU10, and now for ever?

3. You screwed my (our) customers who bought PC on Displays since VU10 and now every Video content is 100% guranteed useless.

NOW you talk about "Possibilty of some sort of remedy"? What if your ISP cuts your lines and would say something like that? Some sort of remedy??? :lolup:

Seriously:
1. Refund 100% of the upload fee
2. Compensate for the work of the content creators
3. Compensate for the loss of the Buisiness
4. Compensate every Customers who bought content on PC Displays.

btw, what is that talk about "active content"?

Last edited:
Possibilty of some sort of remedy? :mad:

Are you crazy?

I have read this: http://legal.entropiauniverse.com/legal/participant-content-policy.xml
MindArk provides You with the hosting services for the said content (the “Participant Content System”).

MindArk reserves the right to, without prior notice, remove Participant Content and/or revoke Your access to upload material, if MindArk determines, at MindArk’s sole discretion, that uploaded material does not comply with the above limitations

So, where is the part saying: Hey, we will just delet your content if we like...

1. I (we all) paid for the Hosting Service. You failed the provide that service since VU10 because of bugs (atlast for some content, but for 100% of my Video content)

2. You killed every buisiness reagarding Personal Content on Displays - since VU10, and now for ever?

3. You screwed my (our) customers who bought PC on Displays since VU10 and now every Video content is 100% guranteed useless.

NOW you talk about "Possibilty of some sort of remedy"? What if your ISP cuts your lines and would say something like that? Some sort of remedy??? :lolup:

Seriously:
1. Refund 100% of the upload fee
2. Compensate for the work of the content creators
3. Compensate for the loss of the Buisiness
4. Compensate every Customers who bought content on PC Displays.

btw, what is that talk about "active content"?

Just follow the instructions provided and file a support case. The forum is not the place to work this out. A rep from MA has replied to this thread and requested folks with any issues about this contact support. Why dont you do this? Is it so hard? At this stage you're just complaining to hear yourself speak. Stop it.

Just follow the instructions provided and file a support case. The forum is not the place to work this out. A rep from MA has replied to this thread and requested folks with any issues about this contact support. Why dont you do this? Is it so hard? At this stage you're just complaining to hear yourself speak. Stop it.

Oh mate, i "know" MA since 2006, trust me, just me writing to the support (which i allready did yesterday) will not help much. You need the comunity as well.
Do you really think that this thread was the right place for MA to adress this issue? I think it wasn´t. Why didn´t MA adress it with the VU info?

Well, as far as i can tell, MA did not care or think about it. They never wanted to compensate. They wanted it to be as quite as possible - and i ain´t going to give them this silence...

Oh mate, i "know" MA since 2006, trust me, just me writing to the support (which i allready did yesterday) will not help much. You need the comunity as well.
Do you really think that this thread was the right place for MA to adress this issue? I think it wasn´t. Why didn´t MA adress it with the VU info?

Well, as far as i can tell, MA did not care or think about it. They never wanted to compensate. They wanted it to be as quite as possible - and i ain´t going to give them this silence...

Sure, you need the community. But you need to have at least some dialogue with support before railing against them on this issue. They may very well not reply, or give some cut/paste reply that says they are 'forwarding' the issue to the appropriate department. That's annoying, and its something productive that can be added to this conversation.

I tried contacting support regarding this issue in case #93478 and they blew me off.

Then MA reps can look into it and specifically find out what the problem is. You're providing feedback they can work with, showing them a definite scenario, and giving them notice that you have used the tools available to you and have been disappointed because of XYZ concrete reasons.

This post about all sorts of participant content not working - it wasn't helpful. It was just a rant. I have participant content too. Alot of it. So I sympathize with your concerns. However I dont feel ranting will help get things done.

--snip--

This post about all sorts of participant content not working - it wasn't helpful. It was just a rant. I have participant content too. Alot of it. So I sympathize with your concerns. However I dont feel ranting will help get things done.

:) I know how MA support works... to give you an idea about:
Case from 2010-12-22:
My Kulneff Armchairs lost their colors. They look like glowing in the dark...

Last update 2011-01-10 and later closed by MA Support:
"Hi again Bear,
Happy New Year to you too!
I have forwarded your comments to our developers and I'm hoping they will be able to handle this as soon as possible.

In the meantime we thank you for your patience and wish you a most exciting stay in Next Island.
Kind regards,"

Of cause, they are still buged...

Case from 2010-12-22: Please reopen Supportcase 178699

YES, its an old case... but its still not fixed. I had an other customer who bought a "FishTank" who complained to me yesterday about the missing content.

Case 178699 was more than 6 month old at that time...

Last update 2011-06-14
: Hi,As we are currently implementing a new Support Portal, we will close this case.We apologize for the abrupt conclusion to this case, but if you would like to continue your inquire, we kindly ask you to submit your inquiry in our new Support Portal.Thank you for your understanding in this matter.Kind regards,Your Entropia Universe Support Team

I had even a MA Official in my shop, he made me upload each video of my videos on their display again to de-bug. That did cost me more than 500 PED. Beside that they never fixed it, you really think i got some compensation for helping?

Question to you since you might know MA support better than me: Why isn´t there an offical Statement from MA regarding refund/compensation

Last edited:
:) I know how MA support works... to give you an idea about:
Case from 2010-12-22:
My Kulneff Armchairs lost their colors. They look like glowing in the dark...

Last update 2011-01-10 and later closed by MA Support:
"Hi again Bear,
Happy New Year to you too!
I have forwarded your comments to our developers and I'm hoping they will be able to handle this as soon as possible.

In the meantime we thank you for your patience and wish you a most exciting stay in Next Island.
Kind regards,"

Of cause, they are still buged...

Case from 2010-12-22: Please reopen Supportcase 178699

YES, its an old case... but its still not fixed. I had an other customer who bought a "FishTank" who complained to me yesterday about the missing content.

Case 178699 was more than 6 month old at that time...

Last update 2011-06-14
: Hi,As we are currently implementing a new Support Portal, we will close this case.We apologize for the abrupt conclusion to this case, but if you would like to continue your inquire, we kindly ask you to submit your inquiry in our new Support Portal.Thank you for your understanding in this matter.Kind regards,Your Entropia Universe Support Team

This is probably very helpful information. Though I think posting the actual text here is against forum policy. I get around that by posting the support ticket numbers, and then the reason why it's a problem for me.

Question to you since you might know MA support better than me: Why isn´t there an offical Statement from MA regarding refund/compensation

Don't know. I don't work for MA, and if I did I probably wouldn't be in a position to tell you. That's something to ask their PR people. Good question. A simple statement appended to the end to contact support for issues about this change including the possibilities of refund would have been appropriate, I think.

I had even a MA Official in my shop, he made me upload each video of my videos on their display again to de-bug. That did cost me more than 500 PED. Beside that they never fixed it, you really think i got some compensation for helping?

Always screenshot. Then file a ticket with the screenshot attached asking for a refund, since the money was not spent at your pleasure, but in an attempt to assist an official. The ticket should be clear, with only a single point to be made. Then you'll probably calmly need to stick to that point over multiple replies.

Fraps is a good tool to take immediate screenshots ingame, helping this process out alot.

My experiences, having both been part of, headed, and designed multiple support type departments is that the first role of support is to filter out those calls that are simply not relevant to what support actually does. Their second role is to answer very easy questions. Anything more complicated than that requires escalation, but to escalate the problem you need to get past the filter.

Some filters are more aggressive than others, and screen for attitude as much as for application. Folks need to understand that these people are only contacted when something isnt working. Therefore everyone they talk to is upset. That you are upset to them is like saying that water is wet. It's a given.

I imagine this being an internet based company attitude plays a large part in who gets responded to, and how that response is handled. Be willing to communicate with the right person or persons, and accept that there's going to be a filter each time you need to. I suspect that's the nature of the beast here.

... The forum is not the place to work this out. ...

i do think it is. one could find similarities from "wowz new feature of participant content" and "wowz new feature of caly land deeds" :rolleyes: reminding MA via private support cases is one thing, but pushing some concerns to public forums can be helpful on other matters too.

gl to all display users!
gl to MA with the issue too!

Around 6.6k ped in upload fees gone to waste - i really hope support will give me more then a standard reply on this ;)

MA need to cut costs, so Bink broadcasting license is the first on the chopping block (and they thank you for your peds, and will quote 'all trades are final' or 'can change the rules whenever we want').

Then some dupe-avi from MA will post and tell me i'm not correct, without actually giving any alternative reasoning.

maybe MA will let you convert and then upload the PC to youtube... or will just do that themselves for you since uploading in the first place gave them the right to use your content however they want. Would be sad if that is their entire ad campaign?

Streaming video in game from youtube will be nice if/when it happens. Hopefully costs will go down, but only time will tell.

Wrong answer :dunce: You knew damn well before you did this that ppl would be mad about the money they spent. So the question is why haven't you all ready mentioned the remedy? I would really love to believe you guys were stupid enough it didn't cross your mind but then that would make me stupid as well.

Instead of remedying it, you want to run us through support? LMFAO Why is it an issue of support? Are you trying to take peds from those who don't fill a case? You have all the records (or you damn well should) of every AV who ever up loaded pics/videos; I would hate to think you dump the records of what people have done and then lay the burden of proof on them? It doesn't take a damn support case, we are publicly asking you wtf?

I have issues with YouTube, Google and all other forms of censor ship. These aren't the "good guys"

Im sure that many people wouldnt even be able to list in a support case all the files they uploaded out of their mind, and the ingame list is no longer avaiable.
I for myself have each file separately safed and costs documented but this really should be something that is done by mindark based on their database.

Im sure that many people wouldnt even be able to list in a support case all the files they uploaded out of their mind, and the ingame list is no longer avaiable.
I for myself have each file separately safed and costs documented but this really should be something that is done by mindark based on their database.

Not sure every file needed would need to be listed. MA does have a database of all of your participant contact and they may be able to help here. Of course the tier 1 support staff would not be able to assist. This is probably one of those cases where it would need to be escalated to the proper department, and talked about/confirmed over time.

Support may be (read: often is) annoying. But their ultimate purpose is to help. Records like yours, JBK, can definitely assist in this, but the database probably does exist on MA's end, even if we as players cant see it. Perhaps we should be able to though, in our inventory.

This might be one of those things best filed as a dev suggestion on Entropia Forum. Inventory listing divided into items listed and participant content units uploaded. Their own verbage says that once a unit of PC becomes inactive a portion of the costs are refunded. The implication there is these things are tracked. It may not be difficult to allow the player the ability to see that tool, as it related to the individual player, as well.

Database view = by (participant is equal to %user%) and (status is equal to active).

It then stands to reason by extrapolation that if a piece of content were deactivated due to a change in policy MA could provide a full refund simply by listing the fview as follows:

(partipant is equal to %user and BINK Video) and (status is equal to deactivated) and (date deactivated is equal to 12.14.2011).

Seems to be a rather straightforward query that could generate every piece of information relevant to a content refund.

My :twocents:

This thread seems interesting... just subscribing for more read :)

Wow, I'm glad I didn't find any time to develop some multimedia files for Manticore's HQ like I did for the Soc that many of our members came from. At this point, I'd be raging mad over MA wasting my time, effort, and PEDs.

I certainly wouldn't mind a refund for my upload fees since this system is now rendered inoperative, so I'll be sending a support case this evening.

Update for my supportcase regarding Refund & Compensation for removal of Personal Content Videos

Supportcase send: 2011-12-13 12:27 - Status: Open =no message from MA so far...

Does anyone else thinks that a "remedy" is less than "Compensation" or even "Refund"?

My guess for the "remedy" is some Limited Item...:tapfinger

Back