Entropedia down again?

Status
I agree with doers comments about quality issues being the changing of items and people don't think necessarily to go and update. Loot pool changes and other things of mobs are currently not easy to detect.
I know plenty of people who did and would update the wiki constantly, myself included. Problem has been for a long time that many new items can't be added due to broken tables. There is also some hesitation in updating details of highly eco items to keep the mu down on them, but you will always have that. I appreciate the work Witte and others have done over the years, but it's clear to me it's time to pass the torch. GL I hope you get a response.

I know plenty of people who did and would update the wiki constantly, myself included. Problem has been for a long time that many new items can't be added due to broken tables. There is also some hesitation in updating details of highly eco items to keep the mu down on them, but you will always have that. I appreciate the work Witte and others have done over the years, but it's clear to me it's time to pass the torch. GL I hope you get a response.

Maybe it's time for Entropedia to get a competitor?

I have this on the back burner hoping I get some responses from Witte et all. If no response, then I will gauge whether or not the community would support such an effort and if so, I will make it so.

Feel free to PM me or talk to me in game to chat about this... and/or try to get the response of those currently in charge and direct them to this thread and/or to PM me.

It already has a competitor in EP Wiki. The creation of the EP Wiki was probably the most damaging thing that ever happened to Entropedia.

Wikis are best when there is only one of them.

Since you're so upset about Entropedia being down, can I ask when was the last time you made a donation to help Witte maintain it?

It already has a competitor in EP Wiki. The creation of the EP Wiki was probably the most damaging thing that ever happened to Entropedia.

Wikis are best when there is only one of them.

Since you're so upset about Entropedia being down, can I ask when was the last time you made a donation to help Witte maintain it?

Nothing in business is best when there is only one, and a wiki relating to entropia is certainly business... As for donations, if that is the only source of income to cover upkeep costs it might be time to look for a new business plan to revitalize the site.

As for the EP Wiki i think its a good start but i think we need to see more development in site layout and tools for it to be a serious contender.

Best regards
Zweshi

Lovely error being shown today.

Still trying to get a hold of either party to resolve and begin discussions on acquisition so that we can move forward.

Still trying to get a hold of either party to resolve and begin discussions on acquisition so that we can move forward.

What about no? Rather go and donate!

Not even really sure what you're saying in reference to what you quoted.

Not even really sure what you're saying in reference to what you quoted.

Because I know what kind of person Witte is, and from your posts on the forum I might guess what type of person you are. And I know you don't want to get over entropedia just to help community, but maybe more to fullfill your ego :D

But whatever..

Because I know what kind of person Witte is, and from your posts on the forum I might guess what type of person you are. And I know you don't want to get over entropedia just to help community, but maybe more to fullfill your ego :D

But whatever..

I do not personally know FiveDolla here, but what has been plain to see for some time is someone in the community needs to take over Entropedia as Witte is no longer interested. I would support anyone with the background to and time to handle it doing so (with the stipulation that it falls back to the community if it becomes in disrepair again).

Nothing in business is best when there is only one, and a wiki relating to entropia is certainly business... As for donations, if that is the only source of income to cover upkeep costs it might be time to look for a new business plan to revitalize the site.

As for the EP Wiki i think its a good start but i think we need to see more development in site layout and tools for it to be a serious contender.

Best regards
Zweshi

But that's the point: entropedia has never been run like a business, and that is one of its biggest strengths. It's always been a data repository and we're far better off not duplicating efforts to maintain information. As Oleg pointed out, the division of effort caused by other interests siphoning off resources was one of the most damaging things to happen to it.

Having multiple ways of visualizing/presenting data independent from the data is, however, consistent with good design. E.g. the weapon chart of ET. So long as these presenters in turn encourage additional data to be added to the central repository. Otherwise you end up with a tragedy of the commons.

But whatever..

Yea you clearly don't know me at all. I wouldn't take on more work for status as there is much to be done. You should have a conversation with me before jumping to this conclusion... which is a blind jab.

So let me help you a bit... I am an IT manager, taught myself programming when I was 15 (mid 90s), built an online card game and other ventures from mostly scratch, currently build mobile apps (which I need to get back into), and have a major business aptitude to give the community what it needs without killing myself, and in addition to, continuing free access to critical information. I have a master's degree for which I paid for by being a prison guard for 4 years... rose through thr system and into IT systems over a decade ago to where I am now. You can find the card game at www.tripletriadextreme.com .. the website layout was worked on by myself and graphics done by someone I know and trust for years... which I would be bringing to the table. The game itself is passed it's prime but a few still play.. but no development has been done in a while. It is hard to compete with the plethora of mobile apps and freemium games. I simply took too long to adapt. The game has existed since February 2000. I was in the process of converting to the Web from a client app last year but it became apparent I was going to lose big money on the project and interest in the game was waning... so it had to stop. One of the hardest decisions I've had to make in the last 10 years. Lastly, I am Six Sigma Green Belt certified.

For an application architecture perspective, my language of choice is .net (what entropedia is built on). My biggest passion is data analytics. So to doers point, I would want to work with him and others to build something that displays data within the game in a meaningful way... because they would know this more than I or most of you, the community.

Most people who have taken the time to know me have been great friends. Those with low satire detector skills tend to think of me as rough... but I'm not a very serious person. Comedy is the only way to live happy. I will talk with anyone if anyone is wishing to get to know me. PM or in the game... unless I'm watching hockey... and well.. I might not respond. :)

Last edited:
Because I know what kind of person Witte is, .

Apparently he is the type to let his site be over run by maleware, and be offline more than its online.

Now don't get me wrong entropedia has been a great (the only) resource for finding out information these last few years but really I never saw a push for 100% data completion on the owners part, more a toss it up and hope we fill it in approach. So its always been half accurate, half complete, and now its half working.

its obviously time for a change, MA should release the info, they wont. we are stuck with some form of community involvement I think, but the web master really should push for completion of accurate data I think.

I have donated to entropidia, and would happily donate to its (better) replacement.

<removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated my comments 20x already. Think I'm done now. :)

<removed>

is entropedia properly hosted at a proper webhost? The way its performing of late tends to indicate it isnt.
Perhaps a move to a pro host may fix some of the issues we have seen?

But whatever..

The majority of what LT says is tongue-in-cheek, from what I see in soc chat, I dont see a guy with ego problems. Im sure that Witte is a great guy, however Witte also doesn't play EU and he doesn't care much about Entropedia.

LT is on everyday, throughout the day, owns a highly profitable land area, and hunts non stop. He is an addict and I think having an EU addict running Entropedia.info is exactly what we need.

<removed>

<removed>

Anyway.. SQUIRREL! Back on topic.

<removed>
anyway best of luck to your website I guess. kinda finding myself hoping entropidia gets its shit together now though lol

<removed>.

Anyway back to topic.

Back on topic, entropedia is an indispensable community resource (as it has been written by the community, not just by the "owner"). Since it is falling into disrepair... the current owner needs to either

1) get it back into shape
2) give access to others with the know-how and time to fix it
3) give the domain to someone else

If none of those happen then the community needs to create an alternative.

Creating an alternative would be socially messy and ofc take a huge amount of work on the part of the community to recreate everything (unless data can be imported), so it would be best if Witte would take one of the three steps above. I assume that the main problems with the database (preventing addition of certain data) are relatively easy to fix.

Last edited:
Plan b for me with support would be to create an alternative... but support is a must and I really would rather not have a source of record competing with each other. The implications on ped and people's play is too critical.

It is pretty simple resolution.. either fix it and continue developing it or pass the torch (which I believe has already been done once) to someone who will take a vested interest in making it work and work well (perhaps like me).

Back on topic, entropedia is an indispensable community resource (as it has been written by the community, not just by the "owner"). Since it is falling into disrepair... the current owner needs to either

1) get it back into shape
2) give access to others with the know-how and time to fix it
3) give the domain to someone else

If none of those happen then the community needs to create an alternative.

Creating an alternative would be socially messy and ofc take a huge amount of work on the part of the community to recreate everything (unless data can be imported), so it would be best if Witte would take one of the three steps above. I assume that the main problems with the database (preventing addition of certain data) are relatively easy to fix.

Maybe offer to buy it from him? if he is not a player, and don't have time for the site..he may be much more open to a offer to buy, than an offer to give it away. Just a thought. I guess contacting him is half the battle though.

Creating an alternative would be socially messy and ofc take a huge amount of work on the part of the community to recreate everything (unless data can be imported) (...)
Which is why we should be talking about data exchange formats now, not about who maintains what site.

The first law of thermodynamics does not apply to enthusiasm, and it's the samsara of web that each and every 'community effort' sooner or later falls into disrepair, is taken over by trolls, or something. The only way to prevent the current situation from happening again is to ensure data exists at multiple locations and can easily be passed around. (AFAIK at least some of entropedia's data already exists elsewhere)

Now, what's the XML schema* of a weapon?

* not necessarily XML, that's used here just as an example

Last edited:
Maybe offer to buy it from him? if he is not a player, and don't have time for the site..he may be much more open to a offer to buy, than an offer to give it away. Just a thought. I guess contacting him is half the battle though.

I made this inquiry.. the issue is getting a discussion started as he is seemingly unreachable.

But that's the point: entropedia has never been run like a business, and that is one of its biggest strengths. It's always been a data repository and we're far better off not duplicating efforts to maintain information. As Oleg pointed out, the division of effort caused by other interests siphoning off resources was one of the most damaging things to happen to it.

Having multiple ways of visualizing/presenting data independent from the data is, however, consistent with good design. E.g. the weapon chart of ET. So long as these presenters in turn encourage additional data to be added to the central repository. Otherwise you end up with a tragedy of the commons.

I would tend to dissagree that running the site like a business would be a bad idea, there are plenty of ways to generate revenue via convenience features, ad space etc that would not hurt the website in the slightest when it comes to the information it provides.

Yes if taken on the premise that any data set would not be used in a business environment but purely as a community driven resource there would be no point in working on a parrallel dataset, but then again i would imagine that such a website would run poorly as donations generally dont cover cost of development/upkeep.

On top of that it seems unlikely that the current owner is interested in passing the torch judging from FiveDollas posts thus a new dataset has to be created if we wish to have a smooth running site.

Best regards
Zweshi

Too early to state he isn't interested in passing it. He has a history of generally being unreachable so it is likely he hasn't seen the inquiry especially since the site isn't up yet.

already been ot enough, so will make it short. after speaking with my wife some....

seems I was overreacting in a rather unreasonable fashion, my bad.

Too early to state he isn't interested in passing it. He has a history of generally being unreachable so it is likely he hasn't seen the inquiry especially since the site isn't up yet.

Ah oke, i though inquiry were made before this particular site downtime, my bad :ahh:

Best regards
Zweshi

already been ot enough, so will make it short. after speaking with my wife some....

seems I was overreacting in a rather unreasonable fashion, my bad.

Forgiven.

No I was thinking about it but no formal attempt.

Status
Back