Entropia Pioneers site down and probably out.

dutch chap

Guardian
Society
Dark Knights Squires
william dutch chap
Hello all,

I'm sorry to inform you that yesterday Entropia Pioneers server crashed (harddisk failure) and that it looks like that ALL data is lost forever. The server is located at Stumdoes home and I'm sure he's investigating every possible way to recover some data, but it doesn't look good.

I got the above info last night from Radical who had contact with Stumdoes and decided to post it here since lots of people use both EF and EP's forum almost every day. Thought you all might wonder why the site is down.

Hmmm....well every cloud has a silver lining. Maybe the demise of EP might make room for a forum to compete with the ridiculous censorship and MA brown-nosing that seems to rule both this place and EP.

Valiant

shockin :O

well i hope Stum can work´some things out and get it back up, or just join here, all of u EP posters ;) :kos:

wow thast realy realy sad thats like a part of history lost.

Ok since i signed up here i haven't used EP as much, but as Rex said theres a lot of history on that forum:( would be said to see it go!

Lets al hope that Stum can restore EP. It IS history that has gone otherwise.. and it make me feel sad.
Thank God and Mindbuster, we still have EF :yup:

Damn hate to see it gone, I was around to see the creation of the place.

On another note you would have thought after some of the issues in the past that back ups would have been a standard thing to do.
I know I learned the hard way with my forums and now do a back up every 2-3 days on a seperate external HD.
Between crashes and hackers you never know what will get ya.

Sorry to see EP meet this end. :(

:( Sad thing indeed ... hope you can recover it !!!

Oh man thats not good. Now EF is gonna have more server load so and be slower :( .

I hope you guys get your forum back... for the good for everyone :)

Sorry to ask but....no backups were made? If not...Hmmmm....

are we suppose to care?

not to be rude but entropia pioneers was the most ridiculous forum i have ever seen 'you cant say bad stuff about MA' 'we are teacher, you child do as we say'

haha no wonder nobody goes to that forum anymore, imo what REALLY happened is they finally realise EF > EP and they claim the server 'crashed' and we never get it back

THE PAIN TRAIN IS COMING BABY, WOOWOO WOOWOO

Omni-Slash said:
are we suppose to care?

not to be rude but entropia pioneers was the most ridiculous forum i have ever seen 'you cant say bad stuff about MA' 'we are teacher, you child do as we say'

haha no wonder nobody goes to that forum anymore, imo what REALLY happened is they finally realise EF > EP and they claim the server 'crashed' and we never get it back

THE PAIN TRAIN IS COMING BABY, WOOWOO WOOWOO

this is really unfair. EP was the only place for information when I started playing over 2 years ago. without the help of those forums, the maps, private message system, and screenshot album my PE noob experience would have been so much worse.

I'm giving you a neg rep Omni - and I never rep - just becaue your comments were completly short sighted and selfish.

Reactions: Nea
have to agree with Thoreau, EP was only place to get info from PE back in the day...

ofc the fact it was sorta a some soc backyard made me lil uncomfy, but thats why we have a EF here :kos:

thoreau said:
this is really unfair. EP was the only place for information when I started playing over 2 years ago. without the help of those forums, the maps, private message system, and screenshot album my PE noob experience would have been so much worse.

I'm giving you a neg rep Omni - and I never rep - just becaue your comments were completly short sighted and selfish.

short sighted and selfish? do you even know what these words mean?

selfish = Caring supremely or unduly for one's self; regarding one's own comfort, advantage, etc

i dont see that in there!

nyway im giving you neg rep, and i never rep! just because your comments were so selfish : /

Hm thats bad, even me was looking on EP first for usefull hints and i found the Map and the Charts really helpfull. I was never involved in the forum but EP had a lot of good contents.

Its of course sad when a part of History get lost but the more important Question is for me :

If you cant resore anything, will you set the forum back and start over by zero ?

Damn shame. Hopefully something can be salvage. EP arrived just in time as it were, just as the official PE forums were shut down, right place, right time. And it spawned in my view a lot of the social and historical context of PE and its community. Will be a shame to see it go.

Aziphirael said:
Damn shame. Hopefully something can be salvage. EP arrived just in time as it were, just as the official PE forums were shut down, right place, right time. And it spawned in my view a lot of the social and historical context of PE and its community. Will be a shame to see it go.

Well-said Az. This is a really unfortunate thing, think of all the screenies and stories and creative efforts like videos and drawings. :(

I hope it gets sorted out, lots of us really appreciate the experience and knowledge that site gave us and was still giving us.

Wow, that is just crazy! I would be terribly sad if the EP forums were completely lost :(.

damn it i was wondering whats going on ....

man its a lot of info lost there..

and omi step back you used that forum a lot, too.

its still my favorite place to go really :S

but i dont neg rep cause i dont care lol.

EP was/is the best place to get info, for instance, it had 100 times less posts than EF, but each post was red by hundreds of users. My DNA and mining charts got the same exposure on both forums, and EP seemed less used, but the only fact I like about EP:

PROFESSIONAL READERS

Yes, there every topic is red by a huge number of users, and no blabbing about or repeating the same stupid or less stupid questions over and over every week. Plus it had the most interesting phpBB theme I ever saw, quite impressive. Just a reminder, do weekly backups, at least onsite. Then remember to save some on other media, you never know when you will be unable to ever read that info again.

Anyway, I am going to review the Apache manual from the default installation available at http://entropia-pioneers.kicks-ass.org/manual/ ...

Important side note...

If you're configuring a server, RAID1 is pretty darn cheap, and safeguards your data from catastrophic hard drive failure.

Sad to see EP go, it's always nice to have more than one neighborhood to visit, ya know?

AG

Dang, hate to see a good site go and lose everything :(
Turn your hope to it's recovery

omg that sucks :(

hey there,

you may consider trying to recover data using internet public archive auto-backups. They have snapshots of EP web-site with monthly frequency
starting May 2003. You can find these here:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://entropia-pioneers.kicks-ass.org/

hope this might help :)

edit: some early 2003 backups seem not to open, but I've successfully loaded 2005 snaps of EP and on.

Last edited:
edge.jpg

Love the logo :D

Konve said:
What's all that WoW-crap? :silly2:

Shared server.... :D and no Virtual hosts configured yet, that is why you get the same page for EP and the other site.

mrproper said:
Shared server.... :D and no Virtual hosts configured yet, that is why you get the same page for EP and the other site.
well more accurately the server runs more than one forum as EP exists in more than one game :wise:

Back