Entropia Universe 12.6.3 Release Notes

Same issue here and i have an inkling it could have to do with graphics memory.

With the way internet works at this side of the world, really difficult to experiment, but can someone having the same problem and a faster internet try increasing the virtual memory to 3GB for windows XP and then do the download.

Warning : Please try only if u are confident on how its done as unless u know how to , it could lead to instability if done incorrectly.

Funny thing that this is what i posted yesterday and people said it didnt work.

Grrrr

I just wanna say THANK YOU to you guys i can't uninstall my SP3 but it works with boot.ini file.. thank you very much that you did something.. MA will really lose another players..

Funny thing that this is what i posted yesterday and people said it didnt work.
Sry i read it but when i reached the part about "problems with graphic memory", and then the solution, to "increase virtual memory"... Hmm?
Maybe it was a typo there and u wanted to say something else...

Sry i read it but when i reached the part about "problems with graphic memory", and then the solution, to "increase virtual memory"... Hmm?
Maybe it was a typo there and u wanted to say something else...

It worked and to clarify , basically the graphics issue i was relating to was the fact that similar issue happens when loads of graphic items need to be loaded. The "graphic memory" word was a typo though :)

PS : This was the link that actually made me think this could work

http://wiki.x-plane.com/Running_Out_of_Memory

Last edited:
It worked and to clarify , basically the graphics issue i was relating to was the fact that similar issue happens when loads of graphic items need to be loaded. The "graphic memory" word was a typo though :)

PS : This was the link that actually made me think this could work

http://wiki.x-plane.com/Running_Out_of_Memory
Oukey, that might be useful indeed. Will definitely test it. Thanx!

Yes! editing the boot.ini file works just make sure you enter the value of YOUR RAM. Ty to all who posted, and MA you suck.:eyecrazy:

Can't believe that after 24h with this problem where a lot of players were affected MA don't even say a word.

So sad to know how the game where you spend tones of dollars treat you...

Very sad MA!!!

Last edited:
Jeeze now I am scared to download the update. I feel like waiting until some official communications from mindark :eyecrazy:

Last edited:
Yes! editing the boot.ini file works just make sure you enter the value of YOUR RAM. Ty to all who posted, and MA you suck.:eyecrazy:

I have 2 GB RAM and using /2GB didn't work but /3GB did. :scratch2:

Yep, tyvm for the boot.ini tip. worked for me too. But now the game keeps crashing. Should I modify it back now?

jay :)

I was informed that MindArk is looking into this now.

They didn't say what the problem is as of yet but to watch the Support News section on the clientloader.exe or on their website. As to when they will have this fixed, I don't know to be completely honest.

They didn't say what the problem is as of yet but to watch the Support News section on the clientloader.exe or on their website. As to when they will have this fixed, I don't know to be completely honest.

Thanks for info!

+ rep

boot.ini

thank you all very much, who had posted that boot.ini solution (all others of course too....no posting no solutions)

xp32 sp3 4gig ram gc:ati hd 5700

I,ve added /3Gb/Userva=3030 to my boot.ini

no problem now to download the update...but I,ve to delete that addition, because my system was going very slow after that, especially the graca...nevertheless, it is possible now for me to login....just have to test how long before the next crash:mad:

Imo MA should have been the one, giving that hints and solutions!

@Alainax
plz ask your kitten for her/his hairstylist. I,m sure my cats would appreciate that :D

Avoid Vista like the plague!

Hi

first of all, thx for all suggesetions to fix this problem, I've tryed a few of them whitout any good results, even if it works for some of you :)

I have Vista CD that I dont use atm, is it a good idea to uppgrade my old computer from XP to Vista and later when economy is better buy a new comp Win7 :)

All advice is good advice
Rapido

Avoid that OS like the plague, as well as Windows 2008 Server (big brother of Vista). It's best to wait for the patch or follow the boot.ini patch, download, then change it back once it's installed.

Windows Vista is quite literally has to be one of the buggiest Microsoft Windows version ever, within the exception of Windows ME (anyone remember that one)? :laugh:

The best version of Microsoft Windows 7 is the 32-bit edition, Home Premium is plenty for most gamers for which they install really fast RAM in their systems. Only get the 64-bit edition if you are doing a lot of multi-tasking while you are playing memory hungry games. Some upper end graphics boards will require you to have a 64-bit Windows 7 edition if you want to take full advantage of all the graphics memory on board but that will be down the road a bit.

Interesting to note, when I watch how much RAM this game uses is it hovers around 700 MB to at the absolute maximum of 1.52 GB RAM. So, this downloading, patching and running of the game is a pretty big memory glitch. The running out of memory looks like a serious memory leak from within the clientloader.exe or entropia.exe processes, thankfully it doesn't affect the system stability in the case of a memory leak like they normally would.

after I got download to work, is it safe to remove that edit?

Wish MA Would just sort the update rather than have to alter and change comp system

:mad::confused:

Everything worked well for me (XP pro 64, 4GB).

Maybe they've fixed it?

/Jaeger

Windows Vista is quite literally has to be one of the buggiest Microsoft Windows version ever

That only makes it funnier that it worked perfectly for me using Vista, no problems with installing or staying ingame whatsoever :silly2:

did the line change and it worked..after I got it downloaded I removed it and had no problems since..thanks to who ever found that fix

thank you all very much, who had posted that boot.ini solution (all others of course too....no posting no solutions)

xp32 sp3 4gig ram gc:ati hd 5700

I,ve added /3Gb/Userva=3030 to my boot.ini

no problem now to download the update...but I,ve to delete that addition, because my system was going very slow after that, especially the graca...nevertheless, it is possible now for me to login....just have to test how long before the next crash:mad:

Imo MA should have been the one, giving that hints and solutions!

THIS IS NOT HOW THIS FIX SHOULD BE MADE!

just a warning but this is "wrong"

/3Gb <- this should be your system ram!
/Userva=3030 <- this is too high!

whoever "refound" this fix they should at least explain how it works :p

if your system ram is 3Gb or higher then you should set your /Userva 2560
if your system ram is less than 3Gb this fix will probably not work!
i tested a lower setting of /Userva on my 32bit win7 to fix the "out of memory" bug but lower settings did not fix this, if you have less than 3GB of ram and you set /Userva to 3030 you are "giving away" more ram than you have

Install / Update to 12.6.3 without crash. [NOTE: Must have 3 or 4 GB RAM in system minimum]

i tested a lower setting of /Userva on my 32bit win7 to fix the "out of memory" bug but lower settings did not fix this, if you have less than 3GB of ram and you set /Userva to 3030 you are "giving away" more ram than you have

A note about how Microsoft boot.ini switches work can be found here before you begin:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316739

To Install VU 12.6.3 on Windows XP via this method: (if you don't have 3 or more GB RAM, I may have another solution)

1. You need 3 ~ 4 GB of RAM installed in your computer minimum
(works for XP x64 too)

2. Goto "My Computer" on your desktop, click on the right mouse
button, scroll down to "Properties" and left mouse button click.

3. Under the General Tab check the "Computer:" section
for 3.00 to 3.25 GB RAM showing up.

a. If you don't have that amount you need a copy of the
new files to supplement a manual patch.

or

b. If you do have this amount of RAM continue to #5

5. Click on the "Advanced" tab in the "System Properties" window.

6. Click on the "Settings" button under the "Startup and Recovery" section.

7. Click on the "Edit" button, a new "notepad.exe" window will open
with the current settings you have in the boot.ini file.

8. The current boot.ini will look like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

9. Change it so it contains the switches for 3 GB RAM visibility
and user environment as 2560 MB, depends on how your system
chip set is using your memory you will get 2.0 ~ 2.5 GB RAM
to work with. Change the boot.ini to look like this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB /Userva=2560

10. Click on "File" drop down menu, click on "Save",
go to reboot your computer normally.

11. When you reboot, go download immediately.

12. While you wait for it to download, you can go back
to the System Properties window for the boot.ini
and edit the file again to reflect the old setting
as:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

13. Hit "File" in drop down menu and hit "Save".

14. Now this will not take effect until you reboot your
system after your installation / update completes
correctly. When you are done doing that installation
update.

15. Run the "Repair Tool" on the "clientloader" and look
for files that don't belong, delete them if they
appear.

16. Close the "clientloader" and go to reboot your
computer normally. Then come in to the game and
enjoy.

Windows 7 32bit, same issue on two systems and similar solution

One of the pc has 2GB, the other one 4GB
I know It's not right to do and i used it only to update entropia.
This is how to do it:
1) Right click "Commando prompt" in the accessories program group and select "Run as administrator"
2) At prompt enter what follows:
bcdedit /v
Take note of any setting you might have as IncreaseUserVa, then enter what follows:
bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072
3) Shunt down the pc and restart.
4) Execute the Entropia Client Loader, this time it should complete the update.
5) Once the update is done, run again the command prompt as administrator, as done in step 1 and, if you
had the IncreaseUserVa not set, enter what follows
bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa
or, in case you had it set, set back the previous value typing what follows:
bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa <the previous value you read>

I hope it helps

Last edited:
One of the pc has 2GB, the other one 4GB
I know It's not right to do and i used it only to update entropia.
This is how to do it:
1) Right click "Commando prompt" in the accessories program group and select "Run as administrator"
2) At prompt enter what follows:
bcdedit /v
Take note of any setting you might have as IncreaseUserVa, then enter what follows:
bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072
3) Shunt down the pc and restart.
4) Execute the Entropia Client Loader, this time it should complete the update.
5) Once the update is done, run again the command prompt as administrator, as done in step 1 and, if you
had the IncreaseUserVa not set, enter what follows
bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa
or, in case you had it set, set back the previous value typing what follows:
bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa <the previous value you read>

I hope it helps

Right, you can use BCDEDIT on the Vista and 7 platforms but not on the XP for it doesn't have it. The option I gave is for XP Home or Starter or XP Pro 64-bit with certain services preventing a normal admin function to be used.

The BCDEDIT is just as valid as the way I give the instructions for Win XP series. It's true, we shouldn't have to do it this way but we are and many of us are succeeding. Now to get the rest of the people back online with less than 3GB installed and no access to Vista or 7.

Last edited:

It was initially tested on a PC with just 2Gb of RAM
read more at:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...8199-Solution-for-Update-12-6-3-Crashes/page3

A note about how Microsoft boot.ini switches work can be found here before you begin:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316739

Thank you for taking the time to properly explain things, it is not my area of expertise, when i posted this this morning as a speculative fix, i do not use windows XP, i linked to a thread with more information.
When i later saw a different version of this fix being used and presented as a definitive fix and other people reporting problems on systems with 2gb memory i felt something strongly worded was needed to catch peoples attention.

It was initially tested on a PC with just 2Gb of RAM
read more at:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...8199-Solution-for-Update-12-6-3-Crashes/page3

Right, I get what you are saying. But here lies the rub, depending on your chip set in which you computer uses, the North and South bridges and other interface chips, they may or may not be able to be reassigned or taken out of the memory map. For example, a lot of older computers whether they are desktops or laptops / notebooks doesn't seem to matter.

The options, overlay that of the physical RAM that is installed in a system. You can only do so much for certain motherboards, some are feature / option rich but have no way to disable and take it out of the memory mapping as I said before and if you try to allocate the RAM by using the /3GB switch, it will show you have x amount of RAM but it will not be fully "USER MODE" RAM. All user mode RAM is, is free RAM that the accessories and OS doesn't take up.

Most computers that have 2 GB RAM installed only have 512 MB to 1 GB user mode RAM. Yes, it's confusing to a lot of folks and it's poorly documented in how the system really works. Although, to those of us that do coding and are electronic engineers in the trade that create motherboards, etc., we understand what a pain it is to get something like this to work.

The reason why I mentioned this about not having at least 3 GB installed is that there are a very specific problem with IBM and Sony laptops that can have a max of 2 GB installed but the user mode is only 512 MB, it's a design bug which was later fixed in subsequent version of the motherboard and chip sets that were used. However, I know they're floating around and in use in EU (or I should say, they were). :laugh:

I will put it this way, you're rolling the dice following my directions if you have less than 3 GB of RAM, it may work and it may not.

The solution I was thinking of doing was to get all the files with the MD-5 Checksums and have other people verify that is what they get for the same result. I was thinking of putting the files in archives and putting them up on a torrent, FTP, HTTP server for people to download from that with instructions on how to install it on Windows XP or also 7 x86 (the people that are having trouble), as a temporary fix until MA can get around to patching us with a mini-fix (hoping that one won't bomb out on us too).

What does everyone else think? Looking for everyone's input... (Good, Bad, Ugly, it's all fine with me...)

I'm just going to keep waiting for MA to fix this bug on thier own. I'm surprised it's not fixed already.

Thank you for taking the time to properly explain things, it is not my area of expertise, when i posted this this morning as a speculative fix, i do not use windows XP, i linked to a thread with more information.
When i later saw a different version of this fix being used and presented as a definitive fix and other people reporting problems on systems with 2gb memory i felt something strongly worded was needed to catch peoples attention.

Well, I don't expect people to really understand what the switches do, I just wanted to give people a heads up about Microsoft XP 32-bit PAE and environment control switches. Ironically, the /3GB and the other switch we were talking about was originally designed to be for debugging the kernel and user mode drivers. Who would have thought we would need to push this as hard as we could to get as much RAM as possible to get a damn program running with crashing while it updated?

Traditionally speaking, when someone has a 64-bit system and has a 32-bit OS that is PAE aware, that usually means it can access above the 4GB barrier, as a special paging system (it extends 32-bit extended memory mapping, goofy, I know). A true PAE aware 32-bit OS can handle up to 64 GB of RAM, however, Windows XP non x64 version doesn't. It's all about licensing and what limits they put on your system you are using.

For example, Google or use duckduckgo.com (great search engine that doesn't track or bubble you), look up Linux PAE kernels and schedulers. That needs to be done on a Microsoft product or a clone like it, as it would solve a lot of problems. On some older 64-bit systems you can't remove accessories from memory but you can get them remapped to sit in an area of memory above the 4 GB barrier if you have the PAE kernel like I was talking about in Linux or if you are using a 64-bit OS, many times it can be remapped to make a lot more space.

Oh, one more thing, there are some motherboards or laptops / notebooks that have this option in the BIOS. The option I am talking about allows you to put your shared video graphics memory (based on system RAM) to be remapped above the 4 GB RAM barrier. Now that works for PAE aware OSes like Linux or another x64 based OS but here is the interesting thing. On the x86 series (32-bit version of Microsoft Windows), it will take it out the user mode area and put it in the accessory area that is not currently being used, meaning it cannot be used for user mode but it's fine for accessories. If you have 3 or 4 GB of RAM and have that option in your BIOS you can use that to gain a little extra speed because your programs will have just a little more RAM to play with. It's not much but it can take out massive lag to be a slight nuisance for people with slower RAM.

By the way, for those of you using Windows 2000, there are switches you can use as well that can give you an edge and possibly install EU without having to download it in big archives. I am not opposed to putting them up although I wish MA would hurry up and fix it so people don't have to download huge files (even if they're compressed), as it would be a copy of all the .PAK and .XBC textures, .PAK mathematical models and sounds, etc. I know some of you must be getting frustrated and awfully close to your download limit for the month, I just don't want to make it worse for you (having you pay extra for overages).

Reactions: zen
Back