Entropia Universe Unreal - Preview of HUD UI

Status
This ^

Great to hear! And I'm glad you guys are aware that you must tread carefully in order to not lose the core playerbase! ;)

For sure I believe the core mechanics of the gameplay for all professions should be beta tested a while before the final version by the players with a free signup (not limited for certain players) so all can take part of it. A full copy of all active accounts in current live servers that signed up for it, a day or so before beta testing begins would do.
It should have capability of in-game poll/message system for feedback, unless you want hundreds of support cases.
Heck you can even make it an event where players can earn prizes (doesn't have to be anything of value can be cosmetic, badges etc) for most bugs reported/or best suggestions from the community that got implemented.

Don't be shy about making the beta test a month even. People need to try everything and really dive into it in order to find most of the sneaky bugs which you guys are notorious for missing (sad but true). You'd be getting free testers and awesome feedback in the process whilst allowing yourselves time for fixing bugs and implementing community suggestions, in the end making our game even better = Win Win!

All of this so we can have a bug free Entropia in UE5! ;)
This is a great point as is jetsinas above. Its not just about testing an average account, but our accounts. We all have a weird and wonderful array of things, combinations and game play styles that would be impossible to test every thing as a handful of testers. Silly things like clothes and armours, or how changing seat after logging out in space after warp loses half your torso... a combination of events or things that wouldn't usually be tested.

I don't know the feasibility, but having both games run and a week or so or us being able to "play " with our avatars in the new game with auction/trading disabled and a "roll back" of everything we did in that time was going to happen.

That way we could report all that we find and the old game keeps running till the new found bugs are worked out :)

This is a great point as is jetsinas above. Its not just about testing an average account, but our accounts. We all have a weird and wonderful array of things, combinations and game play styles that would be impossible to test every thing as a handful of testers. Silly things like clothes and armours, or how changing seat after logging out in space after warp loses half your torso... a combination of events or things that wouldn't usually be tested.

I don't know the feasibility, but having both games run and a week or so or us being able to "play " with our avatars in the new game with auction/trading disabled and a "roll back" of everything we did in that time was going to happen.

That way we could report all that we find and the old game keeps running till the new found bugs are worked out :)

I think that would be the biggest mistake they would make.
If there is going to be a test period, it should include all elements in the game for every single player. What I am sure of is that there will be research throughout the test period for intelligence purposes, as an advantage, not for reporting bugs.

If there is going to be a test period it would be much more reasonable for it to be on a test map that would have nothing to do with the main planets but include every single item for everyone.

This UI looks very static to me. For instance I love the fact I can play with the Mini-map in Bottom center. I can not see this UI making that possible. (Looks like the whole "action" bar in bottom center is a solid block?) Like others have mentioned the customization should be kept or even bettered. I have allot of buttons on my screen for Armour change and weapon change. It looks to me like you are going with a Primary/Secondary weapon solution like most FPS games? (Lower Right corner) That is NOT EU playstyle.
I use Tagger,Mid-damage Close-damage and finisher guns, also I spice it all up with some Mindfore damage over time, not to mention a few different Healing options.

It looks like the UI is intended at an audience of younger "shoot'em up"/FPS gamers. That is NOT EU.

BTW: This is not a UI observation, but if you are going to have that kind of landscape you better put ALLOT of resources on you pathfinding, just saying.

Last edited:
Uhm... "Rescue new colons"? :)

Overall it's looking nice, I wish it was a bit less cartoon-ish

Perhaps there's a way to switch between some UI themes, maybe implement the current active set but you can customize each one with a different design?

Also, background seems way less detailed than the rendered pictures/videos, maybe this is running on low details?

Looking forward for the next game engine!

Hi all!

I wanted to share the early work in progress for our Entropia Universe Unreal HUD UI. The important thing for us in this stage is to define a style, how easy it is to read and placement. You will also see some bonus elements in this image the Setesh Moon test environments early stages, a creature in action plus more ;).

Would love to hear what you think about this!

index.php

Disclaimer: Pre-Alpha Development, Not final

Coming back to this thread, I am curious to know if Mindark would allow addons like WOW, and elder scrolls through minion , or even nexus mods , would be so cool to have our own customisable UI

Will estates be rearranged like they were vu 10, back when a promise to put them back in order was made that never arrived, and booths went unusable for about 2 years, etc.

Also will there be a shop directory tab added to the auction, like the one Ludvig envisioned here on the Forrums before he joined Mindark as an employee? There's been a lot of discussions over the years about adding that in...

Along with that, another more recent wishlist item that pops up from time to time, which actually is behind the scenes database stuff instead of actual in game dev stuff is the idea to add actual estate names to the my items section of the website inventory you see when you log in to planetcalypso.com website or planet partner sites... Currently all items in any estate in game show up as being under 'estate' instead if listing which estate or even which planet the estate is in... it'd be so much more useful if it listed name of which estate the item was in so it's more clear where what is if avatar owns multiple estates. Could even add in markup values if in shop or booth, etc.... all of that is in the system already so why not make it visible in the website so it's easier to see outside of the game so it can be listed on other sites, etc.

As for hud, adding coordinate waypoints by keying them in manually instead of moving a mouse and guessing would be nice addition.

Last edited:
Reactions: San
Coming back to this thread, I am curious to know if Mindark would allow addons like WOW, and elder scrolls through minion , or even nexus mods , would be so cool to have our own customisable UI

I didn't understand anything you suggested, but I was interested to find out. Are you talk about for in game macros? Could you give some examples please.

As for hud, adding coordinate waypoints by keying them in manually instead of moving a mouse and guessing would be nice addition.
This is already possible with the /waypoint or /wp chat command. +1 for the other points ofc.

Mentioning waypoints,
- the strict syntax can be a bit of a pain sometimes, esp. since square brackets are awkward to reach on non-english keyboards;
- the z-coordinate could be filled automatically when omitted;
- creating waypoints from mining claims could be automated (optional ofc);
- retaining waypoints across logins (always a pain when connection lost);
- export, import, queuing (when creating more than 10); this is redundant if you plan to provide an API.

I didn't understand anything you suggested, but I was interested to find out. Are you talk about for in game macros? Could you give some examples please.
No , not macros , it's more for UI user interface , HUD designs , if you look at alot of skyrim or elder scroll games . There is alot of customised UI and huds . Makes it feel more unique to players , as an example , wouldnt be funny if you could use Project Entropia UI , but in an UE 5 engine 😄😄

My 2 pec: the shown style uses a lot of triangles and 45 degrees elements.
This sometimes results in a strongly defined left / right side of a certain window. As I want to be able to put my UI elements wherever I would like to have them on my screen, this works best if each element is styled without a predefined left or right side. The mission log and chat screen are good examples, those would look strange on the right side of a players screen.

Also, beware when using triangles that our brain often sees or expects some instructions from it. A down pointing green triangle often gives initial confusion when our brain processes it, for example.

I would try to use as less new-to-learn symbols and icons as possible. Maybe even reuse the icons as we know them from the action library.

Incredible would be if you could theme your UI, with ofcourse a nostalgia theme so anyone who wants still have the old lootscreens available.

I hope you guys and girls find a way to come to a nice timeless design.

In past changes to visuals, there have sometimes been multiple changes made in the weeks after a vu. One example is players requesting more, more and more zoom out for 3rd person view and getting step by step improvements a couple of times.
Other stuff changed now and again is the visibility of harvestable trees: when and how they show up. Personally I liked the glowing circles best, and worst is what we have now.
You have huge potential now for actually giving us options of how we choose to view stuff such as loot windows, scroll on screen, and/or copy to a text log. The same with damage visuals, both live and reviewed afterwards.
I expect paying attention to good visuals may be important for optimising our behaviour in the new game, so please allow US to see what we want to see of available 'conditions'...

On testing complex stuff, we would need to be able to select complicated scenarios for the tests WE wish to perform. The HUD performance of a spaceship can only be tested if we have access to stuff. Also, such environments may contain info about other live actions, such as repairs. Thus, please give us specific little test environments for sandboxing, without giving away optimisation clues such as loots. Let us play before we all get moved across...

Last edited:
Im not a graphics guy or even a little bit creative so I dunno why but I dont like it at all.
Doesnt feel like PE, looks like Overwatch or something? I cant really point to what specifically I dont like, but if I was presented this alongside a few others, I would definitely say nope to this one. It does look very much MMO tho, so if you were going for that vibe, you def hit it.

I dunno, hope it changes tho xD

sorry for the very much unproductive criticism

He-dont-like-me.jpg

If you find it offensive I'll remove it, but I think it's funny.
Just the 1st thing that came to my mind when I saw this picture.

There is no pleasing everyone, this is well known already. I think the most efficient way of dealing with this is to allow for the maximum extent of customisation. Let users go hogwild with their own skinning. It may sound like a task to program but I suspect, still without having studied UE5 technicalities, that there is a rather easy and standardized format already in place to define your GUI. If all it takes is, instead of having it compiled and hard-coded, reading the parameters from some XML or JSON files instead, you'll end up with much less work and most importantly, not having to deal with mutually incompatible wishes and complaints. Provide maybe just two skins you like yourself, one modern and one classic-nostalgic. Users will happily build their own libraries, third-party sites to share their skins and whatnot. Problem solved.

Last edited:
He-dont-like-me.jpg

If you find it offensive I'll remove it, but I think it's funny.
Just the 1st thing that came to my mind when I saw this picture.
If I find it offensive? lol nah never :)
actually, its even more funny cuz my real name is Denis and I use that dennis the menace pic sometimes, on like whats app or what ever
(edit, i just realized im a total moron, I use it on this forum. I feel very... very stupid now :lolup:)

all good m8

Last edited:
i hope there will be a way to keep the UI we use today because i dont play normally i dont like pressing 123456789 to switch tools. i am a clicker and the UI we have now is what i love

The UI looks nice, would be cool if you could change the color of it also, so that people can get a color they prefer.

I also hope we will be able to have multiple chat windows open as we currently can. since this is one of the things I like the most with entropia and it's suited for a social game like entropia.

Wow, nice for future developers on MA to be able to work on a modern product, much easier to recruit new devs.
Thats the good part....

Please, dont let the final product look any near this screenshot.
Keep the product as it is now but with ue5 technology under the surface.
Can only say yes take it like it is with UE Graphic
We dont want a new game or another one

Firstly, thanks for posting this update pic. I'm very happy that you're seeking feedback from the community as this proceeds.

Next, I personally find the interface a bit too busy. I feel like some elements are overdesigned for the sake of looking "futuristic" and fitting within this triangular/chevron layout forced everywhere. There's also too many elements trying to command attention at the same time and some inconsistencies here. IE the chat channel selector. Looks like something highlighted with a white border is active but all the channels have borders? At the bottom there are other buttons that inactive ones are transparent and don't have a white border.

I did up an image which highlights a few of the things that come to mind at first glance.

index.php

I'm interested in hearing more about combat changes because without knowing how those will work, a lot of these UI elements don't seem necessary. I'm also interested if there's going to be a tooltip system in place to explain these many MANY icons which have pictures that are not intuitive. I'm surprised that none of the icons match ones that are used in the current game as a means to make things more intuitive to existing players.

Last edited:
It's plain to see from the comments that the majority are of the opinion that this just doesn't look or feel like Entropia at all; everyone is asking for lots of customization options, I would take that as a hint that as it is right now, it's not to everyone's liking..

For me I have to admit, it just doesn't feel like Entropia; it just looks like any other FPS out there.

Entropia is not like any other FPS, it should look and feel different.

Hi all!

I wanted to share the early work in progress for our Entropia Universe Unreal HUD UI. The important thing for us in this stage is to define a style, how easy it is to read and placement. You will also see some bonus elements in this image the Setesh Moon test environments early stages, a creature in action plus more ;).

Would love to hear what you think about this!

index.php

Disclaimer: Pre-Alpha Development, Not final
Hi!

Love it! But little input:

1) I ask, please please PLEASE, keep things modular like they are now, most all of us will want to move things around! Example, I like my radar bottom right, I like my missions top right, I like my health as close to avatar left as I can, etc. How it is in current Entropia where we can move things around is VERY important to most all of us!!!

2) Please have more selections for target reticle, the weird triangle might work for some but I like a more subtle version of a target, simple dot or the like.

3) Please give us options to change transparency of HUD background, so we can make things more readable.

That's all I got for now, keep up the awesome work, loving it!!!!!

For me I have to admit, it just doesn't feel like Entropia; it just looks like any other FPS out there.
I think that's what they are going for to appeal to the masses. I think they want to move away from niche appeal.

The good thing is that the whole UI is built in a better way which will increase our flexibility for the future.

You can really see it there in that picture - this looks very promising to me.

I'm hoping the avatar motive animations get better - for example when running and you stop - there should be som recovery and correction animation to the balance and not just standing straight up like theres no gravity at all lol

This immediately reminded me of the UI for Virtuaverse. Was there some inspiration there?

Firstly, thanks for posting this update pic. I'm very happy that you're seeking feedback from the community as this proceeds.

Next, I personally find the interface a bit too busy. I feel like some elements are overdesigned for the sake of looking "futuristic" and fitting within this triangular/chevron layout forced everywhere. There's also too many elements trying to command attention at the same time and some inconsistencies here. IE the chat channel selector. Looks like something highlighted with a white border is active but all the channels have borders? At the bottom there are other buttons that inactive ones are transparent and don't have a white border.

I did up an image which highlights a few of the things that come to mind at first glance.

index.php

I'm interested in hearing more about combat changes because without knowing how those will work, a lot of these UI elements don't seem necessary. I'm also interested if there's going to be a tooltip system in place to explain these many MANY icons which have pictures that are not intuitive.

I hadn't given it any thought but now that you mention it I can't stop thinking about it / looking at it.

Triangles..... Triangles everywhere

As long as it is customisable, it'll be ok - many of us have adapted to various changes in look and feel - the [F] controls were not universally liked when you implemented them.

Your playerbase would probably like you to...

Make Entropia Great Again

If you can do that, whilst attractive eye candy is enjoyable and brings in the new players, it may not be enough for them to stick around.

Ok, quick quiz question - where is this quote from: "Shut up with the triangles already."? But yes, too many triangles.

I guess making Entropia great again would be MEGA, which can indeed be hoped for ;)

I’m not a huge fan of the look. But if this can bring in more players then I’ll learn to like it. I did notice that if you count rings on radar it looks like we can see 250m range now. I know some guns shoot further than current radar. So this would be a plus. Other than that not impressed with anything really.

We intend the combat will be a bit more reactive yes. Timing of abilities, avoiding certain enemy attacks, positioning etc is some of the things that we plan to test to give combat a bit more life. Today you are very limited that also reduces the possibilities to create fun second to second encounters. Worth mentioning is that we are aware that we cannot take this too far so it alienates our current playerbase.

I'm not paying a lot of attention to this thread because once I've sold my stuff I'm not playing any more, but I wanted to say that if I was continuing, this sounds like it would be a 100% guaranteed killer blow for me. One of the things I liked about EU is that, unlike a lot of games, I could succeed in it without requiring any real finger dexterity. When you've had every tendon and nerve in your wrist severed, you tend not to be very good at that sort of thing.

I acknowledge that you "are aware" but I'm not convinced you realise how important this is in a game where every tiny difference in knowledge or ability can be the difference between success and failure.

This isn't just me by any means. EU has an older demographic than most MMO games, as you know, and there any many players who have mobility issues, disabilities etc who this is likely to adversely affect.

Status
Back