Entropia Universe Unreal - Preview of HUD UI

Status
Given there will be quite.a few colours in icons showing various stuff, I would like to have the option to switch off the colours if possible. Right now they are a bit ugly, I would remove either the border or the background from the icons and would like to have the option to control opacity on pretty much anything.

I think another thing to understand with this UI is colour-blind profiles to allow user to see the colours properly for them. Could be UE5 already has that capability baked into it.

That is a clean, modern look, but not as readable as today. I would like to see options to scale the font size, opacity (!) and position of the different widgets.

For being Pre-Alpha, I think it has a lot of potential.
Very clean and easily understandable I think.
A lot of questions about Energy bar and the seeming ability bar tho.

Some initial observations on what otherwise seems like an amazing UI - well done.

1. Colorblind players may struggle without an adjustable pallet.
2. Current UI colors will become invisible against some backgrounds.
3. As a general comment on colors the blue is not very "planetary"
4. The thick blue line the radar is in, looks awful and out of place with other borders - a much thinner boundary line broken by N/E/S/W would look better.
5. The floating challenge text seems too large and might get lost in the background - might be useful to use subtle white L shape or stroke line under each.
6. As a windows mode player i and others would hope the UI displays will be drag'able and scale'able.
7. Seems there might be a steep learning curve to the new UI which might frustrate those already on the verge of .... ( the L word )
8. To avoid clutter ( especially in windows mode ) i assume there will be an opt in or out option for some non essential UI displays items ?

Doesn't seem to represent anything in Entropia hud?

Melee and ranged weapon switcher? Energy level? Ammo clip? Is this a different game?

Seems so lazy to release to use as a preview. Looks like it was recently purchases from unreal store.

Sorry to be cynical but this isn't some indie studio, we should demand better first impressions than this...

Also, rescuing colons, at least in English, sounds like a terrible time.

Thank you for sharing. The only think i liked is the clear radar. The chat window is terrible and you cant see the text. Game feels like some No Mans Sky wanabe lol

Hi all!

I wanted to share the early work in progress for our Entropia Universe Unreal HUD UI. The important thing for us in this stage is to define a style, how easy it is to read and placement. You will also see some bonus elements in this image the Setesh Moon test environments early stages, a creature in action plus more ;).

Would love to hear what you think about this!

index.php

Disclaimer: Pre-Alpha Development, Not final

the radar is like the one we have now , looks like it came from world war two , the text is not good to read , to be honest I prefer what we have now , but it would be great to improve the radar and bring it up to date , I am not keen on the angled click boxes either square is easier on the eyes . just my opinion .

I like how it looks except maybe the chat since the text is too transparent. And what about this colon rescue mission LOL Sounds like something you'd go to a doctor with :laugh:

Please do NOT make any indication option on PVP battle(white-red when we have a target right now).
This is a prerequisite for a simple script in battle.
I've had a few similar PVPs so far with 95% accuracy on PVP scripters, while on normal PVP it barely reaches 5%... ie. I'm not one of the tree type players.

Thank you for sharing, generally it looks good.

Please do not stop communicating like this, it is a great opportunity for us.

Maybe an opt-in contrast-mode for HUD, radar etc. would enhance readability in all environments in-game and yes, colours should be customizable.

More of these insights would be appreciated by the whole community I think.

Wow, nice for future developers on MA to be able to work on a modern product, much easier to recruit new devs.
Thats the good part....

Please, dont let the final product look any near this screenshot.
Keep the product as it is now but with ue5 technology under the surface.

1 - several choices for everyones needs: colors, transparancy level, hud line thickness,...
2 - scaleability vs screen resulutions
3 - keep it easy, intuitive & simple

Now is probably the best time to remind you UI scaling and how important it is.
This is a high priority for us too so expect that to be in the release.

Can we have mobs health draggable again or avatar health setup out of team as before?
Reason why i want it for avatars is due to healing, sometimes in the current engine mobs "swallow" and cover the hitbox for the avatar you are healing making it near to impossible to do our service.
We will find a solution for that when the foundation of those systems are in place. I know it is a desirable feature for many.

Hopefully the HUDs colour, opacity and text size will be customisable, which I expect it will be!
Customization is important to make everyone as happy as possible with the UI and we will have add as many options as we can. The good thing is that the whole UI is built in a better way which will increase our flexibility for the future.

Also, can you tell us some things about what we are seeing? It looks like we will be able to see a hpcurrent/total? Can we reposition stuff like before?
I do understand there is a bit of confusion here on some parts and many of the components you see isn't hooked up to any game logic just yet. We are testing different elements together.

Looks great - i like the new look and there seem to be some new things comming: Bodyshields ? Pickups to refill energy ? markers for mining / special ? Destructible objects to continue passage ways ?
Missing a few things too still hope they still come: pvp indicators, zone indicators, onscreen time / timer / calendar
Like the comment above, yes we are testing potential shield ability mechanics and how it could be displayed together with health etc. Regarding missing icons, we know not all is represented just yet.

I like the simpler iconography, but wonder, in this new world of Entropia, if we will continue to have the ability to use the mouse at any time, in order to be able to hover over those icons and get hint messages for them?
Cursor mode will be available in Entropia Universe Unreal so what you are asking will be working.

Are we going to be restricted on what we can bind to our avatars? It looks like a primary / secondary kind of functionality, or is this just some UE5 out of the box stuff?
Early tests of having weapon loadouts to create a more interesting combat options. Not something that is out of the box from UE5. This will be part of the early playtests that we will host in the future.

Scarab is a new mob coming in UE5, or just a test asset?
It will be coming with the UE5. It was an early test asset to create creature workflow and pipeline. More in depth will be in the Creature Devblog coming up this Autumn.

I can only ask that you please don't completely change core game hunting mechanics out of the blue without making a poll both on this forum and perhaps in-game, or something to see if people actually want that type of change. It scares me how it will turn out.
We want to take combat to the next level but at the same time keep the more relaxed version you currently experience. This is to be able to create content that requires a bit more from the players (like the Lab). Today, we have very few options so we want to open this up a bit for the future. It has been requested quite a lot to make the combat more interesting overall so we are trying to find a good balance here.

Atm all this post is doing is creating speculation and scaring the living crap out of me. The graphics looks like it was painted over like big blob. So not really giving much hype there either. But yes I know it's pre-alpha. So this is just my first impressions, the current game graphics looks better.
I know at it is scary to share also but we need you in early to get some honest feedback and worries. This is also the reason it is posted on the forum and not on other social media channels. You always ask for more communication and having things polished takes a lot of time and rather try sharing early than later with you all :).

What's the graphic setting set at for this screenshot? It looks a bit more cartoonish and I really hope you stay in the realistic type of game, this is is also very important I'd say...
What you see is pretty much Greybox level of implementation and not with proper lighting, textures etc. The tests we have done with close to final assets looks amazing. We will have a few to share in the near future.

If the old loot window is kept as an option, it would be cool if it could aggregate the stacks and display a total, too. Would make most of the 3rd party loot trackers redundant.
Additional functionality is for sure on the list for us (like the one you mentioned).

I think another thing to understand with this UI is colour-blind profiles to allow user to see the colours properly for them.
This is something we have been discussing and will most likely be added along the way.

This is incredibly exciting!

I like the lock-on, looks updated and sci-fi. The map is easily one of my favorite parts of this photo. I love it a lot!

I've seen a few others' comments and I agree that the chat box is quite transparent. The design itself looks nice but hopefully, you can add an option to maybe make the background more opaque and therefore easier to read in my case.

The mission bar looks much easier to read in comparison to the chat section. Hopefully, they would look somewhat similar in design later on.

The gun HUD looks nice and I'm assuming the ammo is under that which is cool too, interesting to see if there is going to be a reload animation if that gets to zero or if this is just for show.

The monster HUD is pretty cool too.

In the bottom center, I'm not sure what's going on here but it looks promising! The green aesthetic is nice. Overall it looks like a nice start.

It's nice to see some pictures of development! Hope to see more in the future.

It looks nice and futuristic, but that doesn't mean anything since it could worsen the gaming experience...

1- Change the fonts, colors and transparency to increase readability, or at least provide configuration facilities for it.

2- I see a gun hanging on the right hip of the avatar... does that mean that the weapons in our inventory could be placed visible on the body to be drawn and used? I imagine myself with two Katsuichi Retro on my back "Blade" style... :) did I say two weapons??? twins pistols???

3- Golden opportunity for an API... Let's see, we don't want to program bots, or alternative interfaces as in "Second Life"... It would be enough for us to be able to develop some more advanced functions than "Chat.log": possibility of consulting skills and professions, the possibility of consulting mining drops, their value and their coordinate... things like that to be able to create help tools... Nothing more....

4- Take the opportunity to translate the missions and other system messages into several languages... There is life beyond English...

It looks nice and futuristic, but that doesn't mean anything since it could worsen the gaming experience...

1- Change the fonts, colors and transparency to increase readability, or at least provide configuration facilities for it.

2- I see a gun hanging on the right hip of the avatar... does that mean that the weapons in our inventory could be placed visible on the body to be drawn and used? I imagine myself with two Katsuichi Retro on my back "Blade" style... :)

3- Golden opportunity for an API... Let's see, we don't want to program bots, or alternative interfaces as in "Second Life"... It would be enough for us to be able to develop some more advanced functions than "Chat.log": possibility of consulting skills and professions, the possibility of consulting mining drops, their value and their coordinate... things like that to be able to create help tools... Nothing more....

4- Take the opportunity to translate the missions and other system messages into several languages... There is life beyond English...
Spanish for example, we are many here and we could help with translation.

It looks good to me, its very clean. One thing I would consider is giving the players and option to make the text/chat boxes more opaque. Transparency looks cool but I could see that text disappearing in certain circumstances.

Keeping the HUD customizable in some fashion would allow each of us to set it up to our liking but I am not sure if that would cause optimization issues on the backend. Right now the teal on orange complementary color scheme is eye catching so it would be interesting if the HUD could morph depending on location to keep the outlines visible.

I am curious about the other elements like scan info boxes and inventory layout but I think this current HUD needs some small tweaks and a little bit more of a nod to the older HUD versions that make EU unique.

We want to take combat to the next level but at the same time keep the more relaxed version you currently experience. This is to be able to create content that requires a bit more from the players (like the Lab). Today, we have very few options so we want to open this up a bit for the future. It has been requested quite a lot to make the combat more interesting overall so we are trying to find a good balance here.

I know at it is scary to share also but we need you in early to get some honest feedback and worries. This is also the reason it is posted on the forum and not on other social media channels. You always ask for more communication and having things polished takes a lot of time and rather try sharing early than later with you all :).
So to confirm if you can. We'll still be able to hunt relaxing (pressing F) without it affecting the core mechanic (efficiency, loot return/loot composition) like we can today or will we be forced to hunt using the new core mechanics even for regular hunting outside areas like RDI in order to get same results?

I really appreciate this type of communication. And you've helped settle some of my worries.

I would like to be abl to have no transpercy, be able to move all the parts in the HUD around, rezice everything, change collors and more . But i think u say that all will be possible so then its good to me :)

i like it and in my opinion i would love to see some improvements ( i m sure some of them already were expressed and beside that part of them are hidden by design - not visible )

- first of all i would love to give us the option to check and uncheck most of the features, that will allow us to organize it on our own style
- second important part as i see it is to let us place the icons and all of those features in an invisible grid ( similar with the storage grid ) but invisible and based on the display resolutions and pixels ( i always hated that inside the boxes i cannot organize stuffs like i do it inside the storage, by a grid ), same thing is with the actual icons on desktop, all of them are placeable anywhere and sometimes those icons overlap
- the HUD could be resized by 15-20% ( i m a minimalist )
- the transparency should be optional by 4-5 intensity
- that red line around the creature in HUD mode as selected target cuts off from the mob design, u guys put to much effort into a creature's design to be covered or lighted up by some line, is the primary visual active sight for anyone who is looking at the screen, second is the back of the avatar ( please here give us some good things to be seen, is boring to see same back of the avatar for ...like ever, at some point no1 is paying attention to the avatar, only to the mob/target in front
- i love the way the channels are numbered and i hope here we can have the name we select for each channel to be seen while we move the cursor above those numbers letting us to see the name we chose to give and if we chose to have 2 of them visible by splitting them to mold themselves in a mirrored version on each side if we chose so, same as for any HUD design once on left to have a mirrored version if is on the right side
- also for those channels i would love to see 2 more designs - 1st is to have each a separate chat log - and for each to have more boxes to chose from to be checked ( i m thinking at dmg inflicted, dmg received, loot collected, hofs separate from globals, and such )
- one and really important aspect are the buff effect on screen ( that bluish line that appears when u get a skill buff in game, or when u loot mayhem points ) that line should communicate to us the negative effect also not only the positive like when a pill is running put cause i always forget to eat a new hyper10 or a skill pill since i m not announced that the effect expired
- i don't mind the font yet some consider it to small, maybe 3 version of the size will chill down some spirits and allow everyone to be happy with the size
- i don't mind the way some of the windows are viible, but for some would be ideal to be minimized or maximized as we like

cant wait to see it live, good job and tnx for sharing

cheers :tux:

So to confirm if you can. We'll still be able to hunt relaxing (pressing F) without it affecting the core mechanic (efficiency, loot return/loot composition) like we can today or will we be forced to hunt using the new core mechanics even for regular hunting outside areas like RDI in order to get same results?
Yes, you will be able to do that more or less depending on how advanced the enemy is and your gear setup.

Yes, you will be able to do that more or less depending on how advanced the enemy is and your gear setup.
Interesting. I just hope to be able to use current gear (one main weapon) and be able to kill any mob outside of special locations like RDI. Like I can do now, without affecting my return or loot composition and relaxing gameplay.
If I will have to use several different types of weapons to kill "advanced mobs" at the same efficiency outside of areas like RDI it will be a huge change and hard to adapt since a good efficiency weapon with good dps can cost about 100k-300k PED nowadays and you'll not want to use low eff with high eff. That would break current game balance imo (for regular hunting pressing F and healing when needed).

It seems to me that this UI post came just to boost the eggs bidding. 😂

It looks so different... I don't even know what to say. I hate centered bars on bottom of screen like any other RPG game.

Please don't copy other games. Yours is unique.

Interesting. I just hope to be able to use current gear (one main weapon) and be able to kill any mob outside of special locations like RDI. Like I can do now, without affecting my return or loot composition and relaxing gameplay.
If I will have to use several different types of weapons to kill "advanced mobs" at the same efficiency outside of areas like RDI it will be a huge change and hard to adapt since a good efficiency weapon with good dps can cost about 100k-300k PED nowadays and you'll not want to use low eff with high eff. That would break current game balance imo (for regular hunting pressing F and healing when needed).

I think your questions cover core gameplay while the topic is about user interface. Your conversation can be read ambiguously.

Additional functionality is for sure on the list for us (like the one you mentioned).

That's great news!

Hi all!

I wanted to share the early work in progress for our Entropia Universe Unreal HUD UI. The important thing for us in this stage is to define a style, how easy it is to read and placement. You will also see some bonus elements in this image the Setesh Moon test environments early stages, a creature in action plus more ;).

Would love to hear what you think about this!

index.php

Disclaimer: Pre-Alpha Development, Not final
Make things easier to see, right now all lines are thin, text is too small and very hard to read for people who has even slight problem with eyes. Radar as well, make lines thicker, icons larger, or at least make it adjustable by user. Don't make same mistake as with old engine UI, where everything is hard to read already. Hope you guys didn't spend too much time on actually developing this.

EDIT: Usually this kind of decisions are made in design step of the development process, where designers lay out multiple options which are presented and then decided which way to go.

Last edited:
Early tests of having weapon loadouts to create a more interesting combat options. Not something that is out of the box from UE5. This will be part of the early playtests that we will host in the future.
Will players be able to sign-up for a beta access on some test service (e.g. a copy of the original account as a sandpit account)? (I do appreciate it is early days on this stuff of course!)

Status
Back