Epic space battle

No, never gonna happen.

servers would crash at 200 lol

For this to be possible in EU they need to implement Time Dilation.
The engine used in EVE is specifically tailored and optimized for mass PvP, CryEngine will never be able to compete with it's performance thou. The Time Dilation used with the current engine would in extreme cases slow down all the processes to the extent where it becomes basically unplayable.

One way out, if MA is serious about Space, they have to implement a different engine for Space. There's also a tiny possibility new versions of CryEngine (4, 5, 6 ...) might provide a better support for 3D mass PvP... but i woulnd't keep my breath. In many ways, engine sets the limits to what you can do with your game... and that's it.

Then again, if the playerbase keeps increasing at the current pace, MA will have ample time to consider and reconsider all the possible options. :)

lol it will never happen to much lag already and space and hangars will never be fixed to much new tings all time in the plans

The main problem would be to find 4000 players, even if we give a quad to every noob and make all people from all timezones log in at once :)

this won't happen in EU.
Because EU is action space combat, not point click / statics space combat
therefore the lag generated is much more than in EVE online

Unless MA does a major swap on servers, it not going to happen.

No, probably not even 400 at the same time. In the future I hope we can have "land areas" in the space that different groups and players can fight over, it can be small asteroids with rare space ores to mine, or similar items. That could be fun, even with smaller groups of only 10-40 ships.

After PA, Icarus and other noob areas problems is hard to think on an event with this proportions.
But ofc it wud be wery fun for CLD owners, planet partners, MA and other investors.

Why dont we all just set a date and go into space together... see what happens LOL

Would be nice to be doing a mass hunt of cosmic's

100+ quads!

For this to be possible in EU they need to implement Time Dilation.
The engine used in EVE is specifically tailored and optimized for mass PvP, CryEngine will never be able to compete with it's performance thou. The Time Dilation used with the current engine would in extreme cases slow down all the processes to the extent where it becomes basically unplayable.

One way out, if MA is serious about Space, they have to implement a different engine for Space. There's also a tiny possibility new versions of CryEngine (4, 5, 6 ...) might provide a better support for 3D mass PvP... but i woulnd't keep my breath. In many ways, engine sets the limits to what you can do with your game... and that's it.

Then again, if the playerbase keeps increasing at the current pace, MA will have ample time to consider and reconsider all the possible options. :)

This have noting much to do with the engine! It have to do with a very fast Server, and the transmission rate of the server to the internet. It have also to do with the users internet connection and what hardware he use.
It have also to do, how the game is programmed and how the design of the 3D models are.

I doubt EU has more than 2000 active accounts, and 90% of them won't be able afford the ammo for a space battle lol

According to EL, 3692 unique avatars have globaled in hunting in the last 30 days, so we have at least that much active players, and probably 3-4 times more of those who don't global because of low-level/casual playstyle but still log at least once a month and can be considered active.

But all them are spread across timezones and not all play everyday, so it's probably impossible indeed to gather more that 2k player at any given moment, even if you'll manage to rouse their interest in that (highly unlikely; I'm, for instance, definitely not going to waste ammo in the current space system, that rewards only pirates).

One thing to consider it that (if I get it right) in Eve, the space is the "main arena", not the planets. To have this feeling of a big battle we could have it anywhere, for instance on a planet.

There has been other kinds of big battles, for instance Hussk and also final Waves of rextellum (if it goes that far) tends to be intense.

Maybe it would be possible to have this kind of fight with a revamped landgrab. First, imagine one of the landgrab areas having lease for 6 months instead of one. Secondly, the system should be more flexible; not only to fix the current(?) bug when Dividing land area taxes, but imagine an ingame system where it's not a single society that fight, but that it's an Alliance that wins the landgrab. The Alliance could consist of societies or individual player, and different parties could be involved in different layers. Instead of Dividing the tax equally, you could set up so a main core pk:ers (who spends most ammo) gets a big share of the tax, then weaker societies/players could get invited to help to defend or do other things (heal, do shuttle-traffic from revival, scout for enemies etc) gets a smaller cut. And on the radar you don't have the two modes red=not your soc green=your soc, but instead you see who's in your Alliance, who's in other Alliances, and who's neutral (watchers or just recently arrived).

But Before any mass event, MA should fix the "revival glitch" where you need to jump a few times (especially in a crowded area) and the random CTDs that kicks you out for a minute at least.

And if there is any event in space, an MA employee should Watch over it and be ready to take action if, for instance, revival stops working so people are floating around, and to kep a heads up for bug abuse (if the fight is pvp centered).

According to EL, 3692 unique avatars have globaled in hunting in the last 30 days, so we have at least that much active players, and probably 3-4 times more of those who don't global because of low-level/casual playstyle but still log at least once a month and can be considered active.

But all them are spread across timezones and not all play everyday, so it's probably impossible indeed to gather more that 2k player at any given moment, even if you'll manage to rouse their interest in that (highly unlikely; I'm, for instance, definitely not going to waste ammo in the current space system, that rewards only pirates).

I doubt those numbers are accurate. Even if it is then most of them don't play more than a few hours a month. When I play casually (thats an hour or 2 a day) i get my 2 pages on calypso and at least 1 page on RT full. Caly has 1000 auction pages:

1000pages/ 2 (per player) = 500
adding pages from all other planets you get about 600 players.

so thats really only 600 casual players. Don't know where you get those numbers.

Seems though that "dust" is a special version of it, and that can only be run on game consoles (not PC).

Its the same universe, they play together but yeah the dust mercs are on ps3.
Buy they have plans to eventually bring them to the same platform.

so thats really only 600 casual players

I have no idea how you deduce the number of players from auction pages. I, for instance, play 4+ hours every day cycling 200-300 ped a hour, so hopefully not a casual, but haven't put anything on auction in the last month. Auction is for crafters, traders and the tiny group of players who loot something worth not tt'ing. Every time I'm looking for something on auction, I see basically the same names.

I think except for a few ppl not many could afford the costs of space battles really.

I think except for a few ppl not many could afford the costs of space battles really.

If it's about the Visual, there are a relative low numbers of high level ships out there (and a few people owning/commanding them).
While in some games (I guess) everyone has their own "motherships", here there are just a handful of the biggest ones. There can be a lot if people involved in the fight as supporters (gunners, repair crew) but they won't be visible from outside (until ship blows). As for quads I don't Think many players are good at navigating them in pvp with bullets all around.

If it's about the Visual, there are a relative low numbers of high level ships out there (and a few people owning/commanding them).
While in some games (I guess) everyone has their own "motherships", here there are just a handful of the biggest ones. There can be a lot if people involved in the fight as supporters (gunners, repair crew) but they won't be visible from outside (until ship blows). As for quads I don't Think many players are good at navigating them in pvp with bullets all around.

Its not just about the ship cost. Its ammo. you'd be spending over 500 peds/hour in a space battle, that you are gonna end up with nothing but wrecked ships. 50$/hour isn't really something that people would want to spent in an mmo just to get some pew pew out of it.

PS: only large alliances have the resources to acquire/manufacture "mother ships" (called titans/super carriers).

They should make a battle zone, if you blow down a ship in there, you then get some loot from the blasted ammo, like you be hunting mobs.

not with this game engine and quality of support :/ maybe the next gen of eu

The main problem would be to find 4000 players, even if we give a quad to every noob and make all people from all timezones log in at once :)

+rep, because apparently I do not spread the rep around enough

I have no idea how you deduce the number of players from auction pages. I, for instance, play 4+ hours every day cycling 200-300 ped a hour, so hopefully not a casual, but haven't put anything on auction in the last month. Auction is for crafters, traders and the tiny group of players who loot something worth not tt'ing. Every time I'm looking for something on auction, I see basically the same names.

You can't.

X% of the time my 2 pages is full.
Y% of the time I have nothing on auction.
Z% of the time it's somewhere in between.

Quite often, it's Y%.

So no data = proof?

Max # avatars per server is 500. With 100 close in space, it would get so laggy you wouldn't be able to do much of anything.

Max # avatars per server is 500. With 100 close in space, it would get so laggy you wouldn't be able to do much of anything.

Space is its own server/cluster. You can adjust it for any number of people.

Hijack this guy as a PP to develop space and it'd be glorious.

Back