ESG 2.0 beta testers wanted

Just found this thread and installed to test. I have used entropia tracker in the past but with my new system it just returns black screen shots.

After installing I made sure it was running in the background and started EU. As soon as I launch the game this window pops up.

And if I close it just comes right back.

System Stats

Intel i7 920 @ 2.67
6.00GB of ddr3 ram
Windows 64 ultimate
Dual Geforce x250 graphic cards

If you need anything else to get to the bottom of this let me know.

SpikE

Just found this thread and installed to test. I have used entropia tracker in the past but with my new system it just returns black screen shots.

After installing I made sure it was running in the background and started EU. As soon as I launch the game this window pops up.

And if I close it just comes right back.

System Stats

Intel i7 920 @ 2.67
6.00GB of ddr3 ram
Windows 64 ultimate
Dual Geforce x250 graphic cards

If you need anything else to get to the bottom of this let me know.

SpikE

Thank you.
Did you start it from the shortcut on the desktop or from the start menu?

If start menu: Try starting it with the shortcut on the desktop.

If not, try rightclicking the icon on the desktop and "run as administrator".

Time for me to nag some again. :)

I just tried the new version (v2.0.1.0) and it's not working at all. I can start ESG and change options, but it's totally dead when it comes to EU. No overlay is visible and it doesn't register screenshots. ESG also freezes when I start EU and is just totally stuck in the tray bar. I tried to deactivate transparency on my desktop as well, but that didn't help at all.

I also got some exception error messages a few times.

A soc member of mine says it's working great and she's using Windows Vista (probably with aero). As mentioned before I have Windows 7 32-bit with Aero.

Time for me to nag some again. :)

I just tried the new version (v2.0.1.0) and it's not working at all. I can start ESG and change options, but it's totally dead when it comes to EU. No overlay is visible and it doesn't register screenshots. ESG also freezes when I start EU and is just totally stuck in the tray bar. I tried to deactivate transparency on my desktop as well, but that didn't help at all.

I also got some exception error messages a few times.

A soc member of mine says it's working great and she's using Windows Vista (probably with aero). As mentioned before I have Windows 7 32-bit with Aero.

Try run as administrator (right-click the desktop icon and "run as administrator") and see if that changes things.

If you can tell me more about what the error messages were saying I might be able to help you more.

downloaded and installed 5 min. ago.

i run it from the desktop icon, "run as admin.", started it as "trial version", it verifies the license, and goes to the systray automatically. it stays there and i cannot interact with it. tried double-clicking on the systray icon, right-clicking on it, nothing. and no overlay in EU.

i had to kill it from the task manager. tried several times with identical results.

my system: win7 64-bits (aero enabled).

The program worked for me right after you suggested to run as admin... and today when I loaded it up.. it works fine until I load EU and then it goes to "not responding", and I have to close via task manager.

Hope this helps.

SpikE

downloaded and installed 5 min. ago.

i run it from the desktop icon, "run as admin.", started it as "trial version", it verifies the license, and goes to the systray automatically. it stays there and i cannot interact with it. tried double-clicking on the systray icon, right-clicking on it, nothing. and no overlay in EU.

i had to kill it from the task manager. tried several times with identical results.

my system: win7 64-bits (aero enabled).

The program worked for me right after you suggested to run as admin... and today when I loaded it up.. it works fine until I load EU and then it goes to "not responding", and I have to close via task manager.

Hope this helps.

SpikE

Thanks guys. I'll look into it and get back to you.

Try run as administrator (right-click the desktop icon and "run as administrator") and see if that changes things.

If you can tell me more about what the error messages were saying I might be able to help you more.

I gave it a go running as administrator, but no go. I get the exact same result and it seems to be the same as jdegre.

The error message was something like "An exception error has occured" and only that. It was in swedish, but you get the idea. :)

Akoz inbox is full, so I'm responding here instead. Hope that's alright with you. :)

Akoz said:
Did you restart Entropia meanwhile?

I gave it another go even restarting the client loader, still no luck.

Like before ESG stops responding after starting EU.

Akoz inbox is full, so I'm responding here instead. Hope that's alright with you. :)

I gave it another go even restarting the client loader, still no luck.

Like before ESG stops responding after starting EU.

Sorry about that. Inbox cleared :)

Did you also restart entropia, or just the clientloader?

Could you try also starting both Entropia AND ESG as admin.. just so I can be absolutely certain that this isn't a priviledge issue?

Sorry about that. Inbox cleared :)

Did you also restart entropia, or just the clientloader?

Could you try also starting both Entropia AND ESG as admin.. just so I can be absolutely certain that this isn't a priviledge issue?

restarted everything, and started both ESG and EU in different orders.. both as admin and as regular users... no way to get the overlay in EU.

if i start first ESG and then EU, at least the app seems to start and i see the options window.

if i start first EU and then ESG, the app goes directly to systray and i get no feedback whatsoever; it simply stops responding.

restarted everything, and started both ESG and EU in different orders.. both as admin and as regular users... no way to get the overlay in EU.

if i start first ESG and then EU, at least the app seems to start and i see the options window.

if i start first EU and then ESG, the app goes directly to systray and i get no feedback whatsoever; it simply stops responding.

Understood. Thank you for the feedback. I will see what I can do.

Did some changes and released a new version today. I hope it might fix some of the freezing / memory issues, but I won't know until you guys test it.
Also added drag-drop to the uploader/image processer so existing files can be added.

Did some changes and released a new version today. I hope it might fix some of the freezing / memory issues, but I won't know until you guys test it.
Also added drag-drop to the uploader/image processer so existing files can be added.

ok. now the overlay works :)

issues detected:

- the install/uninstall procedure does not work correctly. i installed yesterday the program, and later on, unistalled it (from the control panel, as suggested). however the program files were not removed from my HD, and i had to delete them manually, and same for the desktop shortcut icons. now, i run the setup program again, but i don't get the desktop icons re-installed. instead, i click the setup program, and it behaves as a launcher of ESG.

- changing from window mode (1280x1024) to fullscreen (1024x768) makes the ESG overlay disappear if i place it near the edges (it seems to go out of the fullscreen range). going again to window mode, shows the overlay correctly. even when it is visible, the changes in the coordinates seems to be wrong (i can click&drag the window by clicking slightly outside of the overlay, and otoh some points inside the overlay don't work for click&drag).

I have downloaded the new version this morning.. Made sure the exe runs as admin and still get the same freezing issues. If i load esg and take a screen shot it seems to work ok.. but as soon as I click launch on entropia loader it goes to not responding.

Hope this helps narrow your code search down a little bit.

And not sure what changed but I did get this to work for me 2 nights ago for one hunt.

SpikE

add: I just tried running entropia in windows mode to see if full screen was causing the freeze.. and same result.

Last edited:
Hi Akoz.

Since last update, "Screenshot saved..." overlay does not disappear anymore.

Byes

Thanks for adding the drag/drop feature, will save a lot of hassles when/if esg crashes. The image tools are very nice and simple for quick smudging. Good work on it, it's one of my favorite parts of the proggie. Will test extensively :)

Keep up the good work, you've got a program off to a good start with great potential.

Just tried it, seems like something broke... says "some1 feel like making a skin for this" and getting exception error. Still seems to take screenies with prnt screen, but will c when globals come if that works too.

Last edited:
It seems to work for me, although I haven't gotten further than seeing the overlay in the login screen of EU. :)

Not to be picky, but I liked the old simplistic overlay a lot more than the new one. This one just doesn't go that well with the EU feel in my opinion.

I'll give it some further tests later on. I just bought a new shiny guitar, so EU isn't exactly my highest priority this week. :D

Crashing a lot lately, even shrinking EU when getting "external component has thrown an exception" and the "screenshot saved..." is stuck. Seems to still capture tho if u hit prnt screen, jut not automatically anymore.

Quote marks means that's what it says lol ;) In fact i wouldn't use quotes otherwise or i'd tell u anything else written. It's a new bug, and it happens fast, several times... If u close EU and restart it ESG doesn't work anymore until u restart ESG itself too once u get this exception error. But i'm getting this error within minutes often. And if u click "ok" it stops working altogether, if u don't it keeps working but half bugged.

Last edited:
Whoa, just checked task manager and esg was taking up over 1gb of memory. Had to end task it to close it. Turned it bk on, logged into EU and it gave the exception within 2 min.

Last edited:
Whoa, just checked task manager and esg was taking up over 1gb of memory. Had to end task it to close it. Turned it bk on, logged into EU and it gave the exception within 2 min.

it happened the same to me, except that it was the EU process who took all the memory available in my box.

this is what happened. i launched ESG, and clicked the buttons "attach to EU process", and "show overlay" (or something like that, don't remember the exact text). it seemed to work ok, and then i shut down ESG, without clicking the "detach from EU process" button first. I'd have expected the detach to happen automatically when ESG is closed.

so, i keep running EU with ESG shut down, and some time later i noticed the in-game warning about EU not having enough available memory, i checked the task panel and saw the EU process having allocated 2-3 GB.

this left me a little bit worried about how the attach/detach process has been implemented to get the overlay working, and it's potential relation with the EULA _if_ it somehow tampers with the EU memory space.

i don't have a clue about directx programming, so, my apologies if the above paragraph does not make any sense. but the fact that it was the EU process who started mis-behaving is somewhat scary, isn't it?

What jdegre said about his esg making EU take extra memory worries me. I'll stop testing this until there's an answer or it's resolved...

Quote marks means that's what it says lol ;) In fact i wouldn't use quotes otherwise or i'd tell u anything else written. It's a new bug, and it happens fast, several times... If u close EU and restart it ESG doesn't work anymore until u restart ESG itself too once u get this exception error. But i'm getting this error within minutes often. And if u click "ok" it stops working altogether, if u don't it keeps working but half bugged.

it happened the same to me, except that it was the EU process who took all the memory available in my box.

this is what happened. i launched ESG, and clicked the buttons "attach to EU process", and "show overlay" (or something like that, don't remember the exact text). it seemed to work ok, and then i shut down ESG, without clicking the "detach from EU process" button first. I'd have expected the detach to happen automatically when ESG is closed.

so, i keep running EU with ESG shut down, and some time later i noticed the in-game warning about EU not having enough available memory, i checked the task panel and saw the EU process having allocated 2-3 GB.

this left me a little bit worried about how the attach/detach process has been implemented to get the overlay working, and it's potential relation with the EULA _if_ it somehow tampers with the EU memory space.

i don't have a clue about directx programming, so, my apologies if the above paragraph does not make any sense. but the fact that it was the EU process who started mis-behaving is somewhat scary, isn't it?

Sounds like the latest changes only made things worse. I'll roll back to the previous version.

Regarding the memory thing; ESG doesn't do anything entropiaAss, or Fraps for that sake doesn't. It's only connecting to put that little display thing on top of the window. The memory error occurs at the moment of initiating the connection, and I have yet to figure out why. I could probably make this optional for those having issues and let you use only the statistics tracking module. Screenshots wont work without it in Vista / Windows 7 though if aero and fullscreen.

Last edited:
Added a new version which is basically a roll-back to the previous one, with exception of a small change that might help the "application freeze" error.

If anyone still have the issue and have the time and will to help me find out why please pm me your msn or skype address for easy communication.

pm sent.. hopefully we can get this sorted out.

SpikE

Hi.

Since a couple of versions (the "test" one and the last one, 2.0.1.1), screenshots on globals are not taken anymore.

Running version 2.0.0.12, the overlay works fine for me.

I do have a feature request though, could you include the crit count/rate in the detailed statistics screen?

Back