Estimation of active number of players

Sarubaboon

Alpha
Society
NBK Entrepreneurs
Right, I have just read another thread which had a link to this:

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/11402

which quotes Marco as saying the average deposit of an active player is $23 per month. Is this new info?. I remember some time back people were trying to calculate this through different means, can this finally point us in the right direction?

ok, here goes the quote from the website

So how many players are actually playing Entropia Universe? According to Marco, there are 625,000 registered accounts for EU at Mindark, which is not a number to take lightly. Couple that with an average payment of $23 per month for active players, and you have quite a large chunk of change. No wonder Mindark is a profitable company.

From that I assume it refers to EU.

Define active....

active
well, yes, difficult one... but whatever the definition used (like, logged on once in the past month, or 3 months, or 6 months) would give a better indication that the 600,000+ accounts that have been created....

23$ per month? i must be depositing for several people per month then!! :laugh:

MA has stated that EU is designed to cost the average player $1.00 to $1.50 per hour so it would seem their definition of active would be 15 - 20 hours a month. Of course, that still leaves us with anywhere from about 1 - 625k possible active players. Not enough info and I doubt MA is going to give out those numbers without having a signed NDA and only to qualified investors, potential investors or auditors.

EU also mentions that they have cash on hand to cash out everyone that would wish to do so. You need $100 USD to cash out. Wonder if they are only looking at PED cards, PED plus items or if they have taken into account more than a few people would deposit $50 plus fees to get their $50 out.

It's hard to gauge without inside info.

Last edited:
So divide mindark's reported total deposits (the years figure divide by 12) by $23 and you should have the number of active players. Approximately. Anyone have that figure??

So divide mindark's reported total deposits (the years figure divide by 12) by $23 and you should have the number of active players. Approximately. Anyone have that figure??

yes, that is what i was getting at.... a few months ago there was a post that contained a translation of the published accounts of MA (the original was in swedish). I think they provided info on the income, etc..... so separating the ones from advertising, etc, i think we could calculate with all the info we have the number of "active players" in EU.

Problem is i can't find that original post.... been trying to search for a while now but still can't find it.....

Active user : Who play and deposit some. Some player deposit every days, some every months, every years, any kind of deposits. Who play more than 2 hours per weeks.

Good period: Average 37832 players.
Bad period: 6785 players.

Mix: average 22308 players.

Max players ingame: 4500 players average, 13592 max during events.

All thos numbers are totaly variable and depend of many factors: Time zones, social status of the player ...

Just my guess.

From MA's Interim Statement for January - March 2007
- Customer deposits 26.9 Million PED. (Jan - Mar '06 18.8 Million PED)

So $2.69 Million / 3 months / $23 per 'Active Player'

~39k active players :D

If all of our info is correct :scratch2:

Last edited:
Hmm, 38,260 active players out of 632,674 registered accounts... That's 6.047~% Interesting... :deal:

Indeed, i take this report to calculate my guess :))
Thanks BBB.

From MA's Interim Statement for January - March 2007
- Customer deposits 26.9 Million PED. (Jan - Mar '06 18.8 Million PED)

So $2.69 Million / 3 months / $23 per 'Active Player'

~39k active players :D

If all of our info in correct :scratch2:

i would say that it sounds about right. but then you have to remember that maybe 10% of them play every week and 5-10% of them deposit 80% of the deposits while 0.001-0.1% takes out money.

my guess would be that there is about 40k playing for more than 3 weeks during 1 year. maybe 8000-10000 of them play regulary (more than 30 hours a month or so), and less than 1000 of them are heavy depositors ($50+ a month).

or something like that

i suppose that what we need now is another slip of the tongue by marco that tells us exactly how do they determine what the active accounts are.....
i suppose the exact distribution curves of players playing times we will never know exactly.... has anybody carried out any survey of the number of time people play EU?. not that is completely applicable as it only includes EU players but it would be a start.....

Run across the Calypso in a weekend day, counting people in the most populated cities and places. 100-200 at Twins, 200-300 at PA & Swamp Camp, etc. You'll see that even in busy day there aren't more than 2-3k of players in the world. And hardly 1k in a workday. Of course different people play in different time and some people doesn't play every day, so the total number of active players will be greater. I believe it's around 30k.

Another approach: enter the game and ask 100 first people do they have an account at EF or not - I believe that answers will be 50/50. Then just look at EF stats - "Members: 16,865". And we'll get the same 30k number.

That's why MA will never implement an online player's counter on the website/gameloader as suggested by many players, that knowledge could scary away potential players and investors :).

Reactions: Fin
Run across the Calypso in a weekend day, counting people in the most populated cities and places. 100-200 at Twins, 200-300 at PA & Swamp Camp, etc. You'll see that even in busy day there aren't more than 2-3k of players in the world. And hardly 1k in a workday. Of course different people play in different time and some people doesn't play every day, so the total number of active players will be greater. I believe it's around 30k.

That's why MA will never implement an online player's counter on the website/gameloader as suggested by many players, that knowledge could scary away potential players and investors :).

true enough, the 10-40k number has appeared before..... thread today is just another bit of info shedding light on the whole thing.... however, what would be more interesting would be knowing what is the growth in player numbers....

like, it seems that using the data we had they went from 26739 in 2006 to 38260, which is a 30% increase, which is not so bad....

does anybody know where to find the accounts for 2005, 2004?

Last edited:
last confirmed number by MA was ~600 users active on average daily

coming from the bridge investors pdf

so give or take a few hundred it will still be below 1k on average base

so optimistic would be ~800 users at the same time in the eveing and

what i rather think from what i see it would be ~500

(as the number cam from the year between TI and CND..so it was pretty buisy in that year that number was made.

Last edited:
Some good calculations going on here, and I reckon we are pretty much right, I would be surprised if there were more than 50k active players, 30-35k sounds about right (people who log in at least once every 3 months or whatever) seriously active players, those who log in at least a few times are week, is going to be a lot less, around the 7k mark maybe, In the end though we can only make educated guesses

Deposits != spend money.
Deposits = spend money + liabilities increase.
if you use those numbers, you will get about ~28K users per last 6 month.

Did you see the deposit / wd ratio on that spreadsheet :eek:

This means that ppl do not wd $$ so easily.

I.

Well... the only observation with some relevance which I might contribute, is that after VU10.0 offers in auction held quite steady at 900-1,000 pages for a long time, whereas since late last autumn (iIrc) the activity has picked up and is now at about 1,100-1,200 pages on average. I would interpret that as an indication that there be roughly 10-25% more players active over the last few months than before. Whether these are new accounts and the effects of more planets opening or older players resuming play after some lengthier breaks, I can’t say, obviously.

Well... the only observation with some relevance which I might contribute, is that after VU10.0 offers in auction held quite steady at 900-1,000 pages for a long time, whereas since late last autumn (iIrc) the activity has picked up and is now at about 1,100-1,200 pages on average. I would interpret that as an indication that there be roughly 10-25% more players active over the last few months than before. Whether these are new accounts and the effects of more planets opening or older players resuming play after some lengthier breaks, I can’t say, obviously.

Firstly.... NECRO!!!!! :D

Secondly - Maybe it means less active players, as they are all selling out, hence the increase in auctions...

Basically auction increase can mean anything and nothing ;)

Well since its been revived :D...

Id say the active players is low as fuck.

Id take EntropiaTracker as a prime tool to get an idea of "decent" active players. Obviously this wont include the traders, or people who socialize or the noobs who are hunting near impossible glob/hof mobs.

Id say at most 10k active users.... thats my guess.... I only say this because I see far to many people to often....

This is for PC only not for other planets BTW.

I agree wolf. Sadly I am betting that tracker does reflect almost accurately the number of active players in entropia.

Recorded number of players with hunting globals: 3177
Recorded number of players with mining globals: 2036
Recorded number of players with crafting globals: 1650

Total 6863

There you have the giant population of Entropia Universe.
Do we really need more planets ?

I remember when I used to play eve online. On the log in screen it actually said how many people were connected. As I recall it was usually around 35k.

35k + people who weren't connected lets says 40k people played EVE Online.
So 40k * 15$ a month = 600,000 Dollars a month.
I wonder how much MA makes.

Does MA realize that lots of people paying a little makes more profit then a few people paying a lot?

Right, I have just read another thread which had a link to this:

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/11402

which quotes Marco as saying the average deposit of an active player is $23 per month. Is this new info?. I remember some time back people were trying to calculate this through different means, can this finally point us in the right direction?

There is no more then 1000 active players at any given time on eu and all planets combined. Thats why game is a graveyard.

Recorded number of players with hunting globals: 3177
Recorded number of players with mining globals: 2036
Recorded number of players with crafting globals: 1650

Total 6863

There you have the giant population of Entropia Universe.
Do we really need more planets ?

You can't sum up, because some players have crafting and hunting and mining globals in the same month (e.g. me).

Yes, we need more planets, but only, if we have real companies with real business plans behind it. Not hobbyists like we have now :(.

Back