Info: Eu comp shutdown?

M Rufen Power

Marauder
Society
How To Survive
Mark Rufen Power
I need some information, advice or help guys!

Sometimes & very rarely EU while ingame will make my computer automatically turn off, switch off or shutdown instantly. I was wondering if anybody had any advice as to why that is? The first couple times it happened I instantly knew it had to off been a virus causing it. This was the first virus my computer caught from the 12 months I did not renew my norton programme. (amazing I know right? :D) The trojan came from Oracle who lets people download JAVA. Thats why I installed the AVG to verify if I was right & I was. After installing AVG the trojan virus has been dealt with & systems responded per exceptable levels.

What I've done in the past to cure this occurance is this. I usually run CCleaner for both cleaner & registry, Defraggler, AVG scan & AVG rootkit scan all fine. If all of these methods fail then the last resort would be error-checking after which it should be fine. But it seems that after every update or so, the problem reoccurs doing the exact same thing. Today would be the second time after the first virus incident. Then I go through the above mentioned process but it seems like after a success the next time it comes back it becomes more difficult to fix. Because its not a virus causing it like the first time, I do hope not...

How do I know its EU doing this? Well I came off EU after the last time it shut down my comp while in a team today & stayed off EU for the past 5 hours just browsing. (hmm seems like a no brainer) But the issue has continued on from the initial incident and after every big update or so. This is very weird & has never ever happened before in the past. Now its happening again? I need help guys please, I don't want this comp to fry & dye on me. Save the laptop, save the world!?! :laugh:

Last edited:
my answer to all computer issues, is overheating. :)

RAM / Northbridge Issue.
Check RAM / VGA-Card and Mainboard.

my answer to all computer issues, is overheating. :)

My thought is also overheating, the computer shuts down to prevent one or more components from reaching temperatures that can damage this components. My guess is the cpu or/and gpu.
Check the temperatures wile playing with a program like everest. If it confirmes the high temperatures we suspect set the fans to maximum if possible.

Faulty / on the way out / underpowered / cheap PSU's can also cause computers to switch off suddenly.

Any complete shut downs I`ve had were all due to bad power supplies.

Overheat. Having this in summer when temperature in my PC-room goes high and much graphik power is needed.

Could be the power supply that is too weak, I had that problem after getting a new gfx card :)

Quite surely either overheating or the PSU.
If you havent looked into your computer the last year, take a brush and clean all fans and coolers.
Blowing out all the dust helps also, some mad people use a vacuum cleaner, but i would not recommend that.
Before closing, check if all fans are running.
If your PSU is older than 2 years, a new one could solve the problem.

And trojans from Oracle?
I did not know they got so desperate :D What told you that it was a trojan from Oracle?
I would check if you got the real AVG

Adequate air-flow to the cooling vents and make sure they sure the vents are not clogged with dust. My old hp pavilion had similar problems.

I also suspect that this is most likely heat related or faulty PSU. Heat is easy to detect, you can use a temp monitoring application like cpuZ or something to check or you can manualy feel how hot your CPU heatsink is. or you can also run a burn in test on your CPU / GPU and memory.

If its dust related heat build up you wont get an acurate mesurement of cpu heat in a monitoring application on most cpus because the heat sensor sits just above the heatsink and the dust insulates it from getting an accurate reading and the cpu cooler does nothing. I had a sumular problem lately but with BSOD's.

Take off your heatsink from your CPU and remove the fan from thea heatsink then blow out or rins out your heatsink if its dusty and remove any thermal paste residue from the CPU and heat sink (dont use a cloth that can make static, Some thermal paste actualy come with an anti statick alchol swab just for this purpose). Replace the thermal paste (only a drop spread out evenly over the CPU and heatsink, dont drown it) and remount everything.

You may also want to check your fan revs. If this fails well its likely PSU related or on verry rare ocations its physical hardwhare related but then you will usualy get the same problems even when not playing games.

Quite surely either overheating or the PSU. If you havent looked into your computer the last year, take a brush and clean all fans and coolers. Blowing out all the dust helps also, some mad people use a vacuum cleaner, but i would not recommend that. Before closing, check if all fans are running. If your PSU is older than 2 years, a new one could solve the problem.

And trojans from Oracle?
I did not know they got so desperate :D What told you that it was a trojan from Oracle?
I would check if you got the real AVG
The bold part is what my friend suggested to keep my laptop running smoothly but I'm not keep on open laptop surgery :(. The fan works & my laptop isnt yet 2 years ago ;). It was AVG that found the trojan from ORACLE, funny thing is I use Firefox to check all downloads for viruses didnt find anything. Guess AVG aint the best virus checker. But since this is occuring I think its best I clean out my hardware asap, thanks guys.

The bold part is what my friend suggested to keep my laptop running smoothly but I'm not keep on open laptop surgery :(. The fan works & my laptop isnt yet 2 years ago ;). It was AVG that found the trojan from ORACLE, funny thing is I use Firefox to check all downloads for viruses didnt find anything. Guess AVG aint the best virus checker. But since this is occuring I think its best I clean out my hardware asap, thanks guys.

As your pc is a laptop and it is mid summer (and therefore hot) run a program like Fopsie suggested (I like the free program SpeedFan)

If its temperature that is causing the problem, then you more than likely need one of these (assuming you dont have one)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/244042

EDIT: I notice Carliito has already recommended one. Really are useful for laptop gaming.

Even laptops get dusty inside :D And worst thing is, the dust can not apply itself to a bigger area.
Maybe try putting the laptop not on your lap but rather something that can not get hot and store the heat?

As for anti-virus...I have been using Antivir for as long as I can remember, its free, slim, updates itself and rarely gives false positives. Everyone has his favourites, there is not one that is "best", just some that are not that good :D

Back