Help: EU only using about 33% GPU.

Abhi

Mature
Society
Team Varyag
Abhiram Abhi Ramu
I spend about 14 hours a day in EU nowadays. So I would like it to look good and perform well at the same time, atleast use what my laptop is capable of. I get frames between 20-30, sometimes like 15 when there are stuff going on around, with graphics setting in high. So i have to be content with medium for smooth(ish) gameplay. In any setting, EU only uses about 33, max 35% GPU. what can i do to make it use 100% ? I have tracked usage using GPUZ. Graphics card is 1050TI. Thank you! :)

What is your CPU?

It seems to me the CPU is limiting the GPU.

Game is not very optimized and I highly doubt you will ever see 100% GPU or CPU on this ancient engine unless you run 10 year old hardware.

I run a intel 9400F and 1660ti and use 33% on each @ max settings but I do cap at 60FPS.

Game is not very optimized and I highly doubt you will ever see 100% GPU or CPU on this ancient engine unless you run 10 year old hardware.

While the game is not optimized for sure, if you run into issues with framerate, and your components have more to give (e.g. not running at 100%) it's usually not the developer at fault. (it could be, but then it's more likely to be a universal problem rather than a single case)

To TS, I assume you've updfated drivers and such?

its brutally non-optimised and theres too much comunication between cpu/gpu for either to ever fully hit 100 unless one of them is very low compared to the other.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

What is your CPU?

It seems to me the CPU is limiting the GPU.
CPU is core i5 7300HQ.

Ah, thanks! i had disabled the turbo on the cpu so that laptop dosnt overheat in games like witcher 3, by capping the cpu to 99% from power settings (even though i have -0.166 undervolt). once the cap was removed, the gpu started hitting 70% usage. and I am able to play in very high at around 30fps. I didnt think this was as issue as the cpu was not hitting 100 percent either. why would it be bottleneck if it is not hitting 100% first ? (i mean 99% ofcourse). well either way, its better now. thank you!. (still not 100% though ) i dont understand how the cpu is bottlenecking without reaching 100% first.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

CPU is core i5 7300HQ.

Ah, thanks! i had disabled the turbo on the cpu so that laptop dosnt overheat in games like witcher 3, by capping the cpu to 99% from power settings (even though i have -0.166 undervolt). once the cap was removed, the gpu started hitting 70% usage. and I am able to play in very high at around 30fps. I didnt think this was as issue as the cpu was not hitting 100 percent either. why would it be bottleneck if it is not hitting 100% first ? (i mean 99% ofcourse). well either way, its better now. thank you!. (still not 100% though ) i dont understand how the cpu is bottlenecking without reaching 100% first.

The version of CryEngine that entropia uses is single-threaded (besides d3d api calls and external sound libraries), which means that it only ever uses one of your CPU threads. You can see for yourself if you open the performance tab on your task manager (or Process Explorer) while the game is running.

It seems your GPU is more than capable of handling the load but your CPU can't process the requests fast enough, that's why your CPU is the bottleneck. The CPU isn't reaching 100% first because your operating system is smart and saves some resources for itself.

Besides that, even if it was multi-threaded the engine by itself is poorly optimized.

The version of CryEngine that entropia uses is single-threaded (besides d3d api calls and external sound libraries), which means that it only ever uses one of your CPU threads. You can see for yourself if you open the performance tab on your task manager (or Process Explorer) while the game is running.

It seems your GPU is more than capable of handling the load but your CPU can't process the requests fast enough, that's why your CPU is the bottleneck. The CPU isn't reaching 100% first because your operating system is smart and saves some resources for itself.

Besides that, even if it was multi-threaded the engine by itself is poorly optimized.

Ah ok. TYVM. makes sense. Also makes sense why the cpu is able to maintain higher clock speed than usual with comfortable thermals.

Back