EULA and multiple avatars

DarkMatter

Alpha
Society
The 3-Toed Sloths
Talon DarkMatter Wings
I recently received an email from MA regarding the fact that I had an avatar about 2-3 years ago that I stopped using. In fact I sent them notice to delete the avatar. The email I received was to the effect that this avatar had not been purged and they were giving me the chance to resurrect it. I submitted a support request on it, to verify that this was in fact from them. They responded that this was a differerent avatar, not my current one, BUT, they then included this statement.

"Please note that running more than one account active at the same time is against the End User License Agreement (EULA). "

I guess that answers everyones questions about having multiple avatars once and for all. MA support actually stated something clearly.

Damn, finally some clarity, and it opened a question up for me :laugh: .
My wife just created an account... Does that mean I am in violation of the EULA because we are running 2 avi's from the same household?

Teilk said:
My wife just created an account... Does that mean I am in violation of the EULA because we are running 2 avi's from the same household?

Join a top 10 soc, then you can buy other avatars officially without any problems

Teilk said:

A lot of players do that, and MA knows about that. Don't worry I say.

DarkMatter said:
"Please note that running more than one account active at the same time is against the End User License Agreement (EULA). "

I guess that answers everyones questions about having multiple avatars once and for all. MA support actually stated something clearly.

ok, please show me where it says that? :)

Teilk said:

No. My wife Rose and I go online at home on seperate PCs. Its two seperate accounts that share the same IP.

wanda said:
ok, please show me where it says that? :)

I posted directly from the support case I had opened in regards to an old avatar (2-3 years old) that hadn't been used for at least 2 years. They had sent me an email. I inquired about it and this was a direct quote from the support case. Wherever it is, and however it's worded, that is how THEY are interpreting it. Since it does say pretty clearly they can do what they want, when they want, and how they want, if they are interpreting any part of it to say that multiple avatars are against the EULA I would say that is the law, at least as how they regard it.

They didn't say anything about it being okay if you're in one of the top 10 societies, or anything else. Just that multiple avatars are against the EULA. Of course they also say trapping is against the EULA. :laugh:

My wife and I both have avatars and go on at the same time a lot. If they start saying that is against the EULA they are going to lose over half of their player base.

So does that mean neverdie is getting banned?
...didn't think so.

In other words unless you use it for scamming, price manipulation or other "noughty" stuff I really don't think anyone is gonna lift a finger to stop you.

Akoz said:
So does that mean neverdie is getting banned?
...didn't think so.

Thats one reason why they can't make that claim, another is that they simply cannot prove you have more than one avatar without being invited to sit next to you to see if you use more than one.

Whats the fuss with NEVERDIE? so he has more avatars? never heard of that before.

About the top10 societys: you mean when they buy an LA, hangar or such i assume?

otherwise i thought it is well known that multi-avatarising is against the EULA... but good point

The rules are "developing" much like the game, I'm afraid.

In the past, multiple avatars and selling avatars were sanctioned behavior by MA, provided they knew about it.

Now, it is no more. 1 avatar per person.

Hypotheticaly, it would be wise of MA to consider multiple accounts originating from the same location suspect. However, family and friends are allowed to register, provided they supply real personal data on their name & adress.

Should suspicion arise that an account is being used for scamming, proof of identity is required.

The results of trying to prove oneself, I can't speak to yet. They might be ignoring people for all I know. I haven't heard much.

at the same time. think about that for a while.

aridash said:
so lets get this straight. they asked you if you wished to reactivate a second avatar.... think about that for a while.

then lets read this sentance carefully:

dammit... thinking, thinking... is this about banana-juice? no, its not, is it... thinking, THINKING... GOT IT! ITS WRONG!

aridash said:

Exactly, the EULA states that YOU interract witht the SYSTEM using a virtual personna, your AVATAR.

It does not actually say, you are the only one connected to the avatar, your avatar cannot have 2 owners and you cannot own 2 avatars.

It does say that if you do not own one single avatar, and your avatar is not owned by a single person, AND you have issues, YOU do not get any support and YOU are eligible to have the avatars locked, and YOURSELF banned from creating or owning further avatars.

It's not easy.

mrproper said:
Exactly, the EULA states that YOU interract witht the SYSTEM using a virtual personna, your AVATAR.

It does not actually say, you are the only one connected to the avatar, your avatar cannot have 2 owners and you cannot own 2 avatars.

It does say that if you do not own one single avatar, and your avatar is not owned by a single person, AND you have issues, YOU do not get any support and YOU are eligible to have the avatars locked, and YOURSELF banned from creating or owning further avatars.

It's not easy.

i havent read eula lately , but , beside marco statement on EP and EF , i dont remember any sentence in COU that say i can not own 2 avatar.
It say i have to fill the proper info , and if i lend it what ever happen would be my fault.
So far , beside MA covering their ass , i dont remember anything about multi avatar...

Etopia said:
i havent read eula lately , but , beside marco statement on EP and EF , i dont remember any sentence in COU that say i can not own 2 avatar.
It say i have to fill the proper info , and if i lend it what ever happen would be my fault.
So far , beside MA covering their ass , i dont remember anything about multi avatar...

You CAN control 2 avatars, but they are not yours, as you can only have one associated with your RL ID.

You CAN control 2 avatars, but do MA doesn't want to hear you complaining or doing something else against the EULA (something else alone is a reason for a ban).

You own 2 avatars? Fine, make sure you reveal their RL identity to the other players and don't get in a mess and try to contact support.

aridash said:

i dont run more than one account active at the same time.
i run one account active now, and i run my other account active after 10 minutes, not at the same time.
and after more 10 minutes i run another account active, but is not my account , is my granma's account.

and many times i run one account active, and at the same time my granma run her account active. same time.

mrproper said:
You CAN control 2 avatars, but they are not yours, as you can only have one associated with your RL ID.

the rethoric of the real owner of the avatar is not the point here.
the is , can i use more than one avatar or not , and not break the eula.

mrproper said:
You CAN control 2 avatars, but do MA doesn't want to hear you complaining or doing something else against the EULA (something else alone is a reason for a ban).

Do you mean by that the eula is against using 2 avatar ?
If so can you quote me where , because i am not good a lawyer english neither is sweglish...

mrproper said:
You own 2 avatars? Fine, make sure you reveal their RL identity to the other players and don't get in a mess and try to contact support.

Question remain the same , is it still possible now to have 2 , 3 or more avatar without breaking eula?
In past was no rules in eula against multi avatar , and you could fill exactly same information on as mutch avatar as you whant as long as mail was diferent.
More than one player told they got a "lot" of avatar with exactly same info.

aridash said:

Near the top of the eula it says;

This Agreement is your entire agreement with MindArk and governs your use of the System. There may be additional terms and conditions if you use affiliate systems, other MindArk systems or products, or third-party software and/or systems.

The only mention of avatar details in the eula is;
Your interactions will be through an "Avatar", or virtual persona/alter-ego, and is regulated by the Rules of Conduct section below.

there are 3 or 4 other references but not relevent, such as:
all virtual items are part of the System and MindArk retains all rights, title, and interest in all parts including, but not limited to Avatars and Virtual items

The virtual universe is filled with real people interacting in the form of avatars

etc etc

Nothing about multiple avatars, running more than one avatar at the same time, making multiple accounts or anything else like that.

When support say its not allowed as defined in the eula, they are lying. All I am told is that I interact with the system though an avatar. Nothing more, nothing less.

wanda said:
When support say its not allowed as defined in the eula, they are lying. All I am told is that I interact with the system though an avatar. Nothing more, nothing less.

Maybe MA will finally read it if they modify it , because so far , there lots of stuff that support and marco state its against eula , and in fact there no refenrence about that in eula ...

Etopia said:
Maybe MA will finally read it if they modify it , because so far , there lots of stuff that support and marco state its against eula , and in fact there no refenrence about that in eula ...

Obviously the eula update thats coming will have all sorts of new nazi rules about stuff and I guess this will be one of the areas they add rules for.

The real question is if avatars were created before their eula update they surely can't be subject to rules that weren't in place at the time.

Text This Agreement ("Agreement") is made by and between MindArk PE AB ("MindArk") and the Participant ("Participant") who wishes to use Entropia Universe. By accepting this Agreement, the Participant agrees to it in its entirety, effective immediately.

MindArk is the owner of a System ("System"), identified as Entropia Universe.
In consideration of the promises set forth herein, the parties hereto agree as follows:

1. Arrangement
This Agreement is a legal document that details your rights and obligations as an Entropia Universe participant entitled to a participant account and to access and use certain of MindArk's services.

a means one ;)

The participant also agrees upon not using any third party software or equipment that influences Entropia Universe in any way. The participant agrees upon not tampering, removing (except complete uninstallation), adding, or changing the installed Entropia Universe client software and its associated files in any way whatsoever.

:rolleyes:

MindArk provides Entropia Universe as a service, described as a virtual universe. Entropia Universe is not a "game".

:rolleyes:

Upon completing the registration process, you will receive a password and account that is uniquely associated with your participation. All of your access to the system will be through that account, except as otherwise set forth in this Agreement. An account supplies access to MindArk's online virtual universe. In the virtual universe you will be able to interact with other participants and online constructs. Your interactions will be through an "Avatar", or virtual persona/alter-ego, and is regulated by the Rules of Conduct section below.

Check bold and underlined items. a means one. One account for YOUR identity, associated with your participation, and your unique avatar. ONE of each.

This Agreement shall be binding upon and inured to the benefit of the parties and their respective administrators, successors and assigns.

Where are all these parties???

Oh, what's inured?

As a participant you are responsible for all activity on your account. You also understand that you cannot divulge your account information, including the login and/or password to anyone.

If you should happen to willfully or otherwise reveal your password, you have relinquished your right to any assistance regarding the possible outcomes or consequences based upon your actions.

That sums up what I said above. :wise:

Also, the licence has 3 references to my nick ;)

wanda said:
The real question is if avatars were created before their eula update they surely can't be subject to rules that weren't in place at the time.

17. Final Agreement
This Agreement terminates and supersedes all prior understandings or agreements on the subject matter hereof.
By accepting this Agreement and becoming a participant you agree that MindArk may, at any time, update, revise or change this Agreement. If MindArk makes material changes or revisions to this Agreement, MindArk will provide notice to you, via the e-mail address you provided upon registration. Your continued participation in Entropia Universe after notification of changes means that you accept the changes. If you do not want to accept the changes proposed by MindArk or to any of the terms in this Agreement, your only remedy is to cancel your account and cease using Entropia Universe.

Yes they can! :wise:

mrproper said:
a means one. One account for YOUR identity, associated with your participation, and your unique avatar. ONE of each.

No, in English ONE means one.
You are taking it out of context, the whole document is wriiten on the pretense that you only have one account and the agreement governs how you use that said account.
Too much personal interpretation and assumption.

If they decided you could only have one account they would say 'one account'.

......and the " you cannot divulge " & " you may not divulge" makes the difference ....i can...

wanda said:
No, in English ONE means one.
You are taking it out of context, the whole document is wriiten on the pretense that you only have one account and the agreement governs how you use that said account.
Too much personal interpretation and assumption.

If they decided you could only have one account they would say 'one account'.

It's not English, it's Swenglish.

It's called law. One dude writes one line, 1000 lawyers find 10000 meanings. So I can assume any of the above 10000 interpretations. It also means THEY can tell you "hey, it sais a, one, an and other similar words for 1, BAN"

Akoz said:
In other words unless you use it for scamming, price manipulation or other "noughty" stuff I really don't think anyone is gonna lift a finger to stop you.

wanta bet? haha my accounts locked atm just for setting up the soc ava. strangest thing is they want me to mail them photo id to get it unlocked lol.
i wonder if MA would know if it was me from the photo? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

mrproper said:
Oh, what's inured?

inured.....

Main Entry: in·ure
Pronunciation: i-'nur, -'nyur
Function: intransitive verb
Inflected Forms: in·ured; in·ur·ing
: to become of advantage —usually used in the phrase inure to the benefit of

taken from ---> Dictionary.com

keep it clear please ... dont quote a part to change the meaning of the sentence :
This Agreement is a legal document that details your rights and obligations as an Entropia Universe participant entitled to a participant account and to access and use certain of MindArk's services. You cannot become an Entropia Universe participant until you have accepted the terms of this Agreement.
That sentence is not to say i am limited to one (1) account , but mean i need to have an account and agree the rule to participe at the universe.

Upon completing the registration process, you will receive a password and account that is uniquely associated with your participation. All of your access to the system will be through that account, except as otherwise set forth in this Agreement. An account supplies access to MindArk's online virtual universe. In the virtual universe you will be able to interact with other participants and online constructs. Your interactions will be through an "Avatar", or virtual persona/alter-ego, and is regulated by the Rules of Conduct section below.
You agree to obey with the limits set on your account by your category of participation. You further agree to obey with the Rules of Conduct. Violation of the Rules of Conduct may result in termination of your account.

this mean i have to complete registration to get an acount (login password) and that acount is associated to me.
in no way it mean i am associed to the universe "only" with that account.
Neither it says i am limited to 1 unique acount.
Most of sentence dont speak about amount limitation.

There is not stated the marco statement(from memorie something like that) :
The account is limited to one (1) participant.
it is one (1) unike acount per physic persone.

this is clear and simple , dont smell the lawyer blabla.
MA write strange stuff and try to mean the less and max in 1 sentence.
This lead in the dark osbcour cloud rules that evryone can "break" because it does not mean anything for sure beside MA is not responsible they wont reimbouce and they can lock you when ever they whant.
Beside MA protection and player got no right , there not mutch things in the rules...

Last edited:
Back