Event Ideas?

narfi

Elite
Society
Lost Renegades
Narfi Hungry Willem
Been wanting to try my hand at running events for a long time, so looking for constructive ideas on how to go about it.

Here is an idea I had for a higher prize value event.

100ped tickets
HSL event

200ped first prize
300ped second prize
1500ped third prize

If enough tickets sell (still need to figure out the math)
xxx ped to the person with the most globals
xxx ped to the person with the last global before the event is over

Obviously 100ped tickets are not going to draw in enough players to cover the prizes, so I would have guys trying to 'protect' the prize for me during the event by hunting and trying to win it for me.

It would work like insurance, the odds have to be calculated to cover loss vs win over time in order to run a self sustaining series of events.

Suppose the average event draws in 10 players, and I have 5 'mercs' trying to protect the prize.
That means that over time given enough events, I would have won back 1/3rd of the prizes, and paid out 2/3rds.
(with those numbers the prizes would have to be smaller, or I would need more mercs in order not to loose over time)

I guess my main question is,
How much interest is there in higher stakes events, and how much interest is there in doing them on a weekly basis? (50-100ped tickets and 1000-2000ped in prizes)

Also interested in any other ideas or input for events.

thanks,

narfi

did you count the avg loss of your mercs? :p

did you count the avg loss of your mercs? :p

That is certainly something I need to consider.(and had in the back of my mind already)

Mainly I am trying to figure out two things,

1. is there any interest in higher stakes events?
2. will people be turned off by creative ways of increasing the prize value while reducing ticket prices as long as it is open and transparent?

(I have read negative posts here directed at people competing in their own events, which considering the nature of the events doesn't make sense to me as they are impartially judged by the game system itself)

Narfi, I am interested in ideas for increasing the number of events...and the type.

Simon theViper Bull and I worked very hard to create two events but found that without being a landowner it is very difficult.

We had the support of a landowner but after two events the numbers were not working for the landowner and we had not figured out enough creative ways to keep ticket prices reasonably related to prize potentials and still justify the incredible time and effort it took to get the event organized.

I still believe it could be done with a bit more pondering and experience.

theViper worked incredibly hard to gain sponsorships and we made some cursory efforts to arrange some advertising for sponsors...etc.
That is one avenue that deserves more exploration IMO. Our sponsors did "sweeten" the prize structure and I think with more experimentation some formula might be worked out for such deals to be a "win" for both the sponsor and the event.

*subscribing*

interested,and will try to engage further discussion if I have anything I think might contribute

One thing near to my heart is trying to figure out some fun events for new players. A challenge with all the hurdles I have run into in my thought experiments to date ...but thinking and noodling on it still.

Storm

100ped tickets
HSL event

200ped first prize
300ped second prize
1500ped third prize

narfi

Is this a mistake or does the 3rd place get the best prize?

Is this a mistake or does the 3rd place get the best prize?

No mistake, though it can be changed, since I am just in the planning/ideas stage.

The idea behind it is that whoever gets the 1st HSL already has a big loot, while 3rd HSL likely just has a big global/small hof. With the reverse 1st-3rd prizes, all 3 top slots end up doing pretty well.

Another idea I had was to make all 3 the same value prize as well as 2 more (most globals & last global in the event) for 5 equal but smaller prizes. Doing it this way ends up with more winners as well as more stability for my hedged bets.

Ok, I see your point.

You could create a "poker payout" structure.
You guarantee a minimum pool for the 3 first places, and split 90% of the remaining profit (if any) for the most globals or even for the "smallest global"

The main concern will be getting the Guaranteed prize pool from some sponsor or personal ped card

Last edited:
Ok, I see your point.

You could create a "poker payout" structure.
You guarantee a minimum pool for the 3 first places, and split 90% of the remaining profit (if any) for the most globals or even for the "smallest global"

The main concern will be getting the Guaranteed prize pool from some sponsor or personal ped card

Well I am not really in it for profit, I just need it to be self sustaining over time. (I am ok with loosing some now winning some later if it all averages out to 0)

Also only gambling I have ever done is in EU :p so I am not familiar with the poker structure.

If I understand you right you are saying do something like this,

100ped tickets
HSL event
1st prize 200ped
2nd prize 200ped
3rd prize 200ped

for each ticket over 8 entrants besides myself sold, 50ped is added to first place, 10ped to second and 3rd place, 15ped to most globals, and 15ped to smallest global.

say 15 people besides myself register,

1500ped of tickets sold
800ped for guaranteed prizes and event creation costs
700ped split into extra prizes,

350ped added to fist place = 550ped
70ped added to 2nd and 3rd place = 270 each
105ped each added to most globals and smallest global

The rules could specify either that most and lowest globals can not be claimed by 1st-3rd prize winners, or that they Can be claimed by them in addition to their original prizes.

if 20 people register,

1st place = 850ped (200+650)
2nd place = 330ped (200+130)
3rd place = 330ped (200+130)
Most globals = 195ped
Smallest Global = 195ped

If first place winner also has most globals and smallest global they would take home 1240ped (850+195+195)

etc...

Any more thoughts or ideas?
I actually like that last idea and might set it up today for this weekend.
Best way to learn is through doing I guess :p
Any preferences for time of day?

well what i see mostly on events that go for like 100 ped per ticket is that eather highend hunters come.
alot of smaller / mid range hunters think that 100 ped each week ( ? ) is alot off money.

there's been quite a few event with 100 ped entree's over the years and none habe stayed verry long ( latest example the atrox events on la2 and 40 ). first loads of people come then it goes down quickly untill its just not worth it for the organiser todo them.

i think in the long run i think it would be better to focus on the midrange ( or small ) hunter with smaller rewards but a lower entree threshold. bigger hunters that just wanna join for fun still will come and smaller hunters wouldnt be hurt as much on there pedcard.

For sure I would like to run lower level events as well, but there is the issue of scale when considering the cost of event creation (25ped + 25ped per 30 minute slot)

I will break the ice with this event, then as I get more comfortable branch out into a broader range of events ticket prices and prizes.
(or at least that is my intent :p )

still monitoring :) topic has my interest too :)

and good luck. I think events in general are an area that could grow and add some content and interest to the game so good on ya for stepping up and giving it a shot.

I hope it goes well

Storm

Idea... not sure on how feasible it would be, etc. but I believe you own a mothership? In theory you could use that to start up something interesting.

Suggest you look up PinkPcP's (Pink pussycat Panther) history... Way before planets existed she would throw huge regular events on CND back then. In theory, with that little mothership you could do similar, but on a universal scale, implementing ALL of the planets... think WOF but on a massive scale that's bracketed with events happening on all planets at the same time, etc.

Idea... not sure on how feasible it would be, etc. but I believe you own a mothership? In theory you could use that to start up something interesting.

Suggest you look up PinkPcP's (Pink pussycat Panther) history... Way before planets existed she would throw huge regular events on CND back then. In theory, with that little mothership you could do similar, but on a universal scale, implementing ALL of the planets... think WOF but on a massive scale that's bracketed with events happening on all planets at the same time, etc.

That is definitely an end goal for me. But I need to aquire some land or form more partnerships before that is very practical I think. (I am certainly working towards it though :) )

First event went ok but not amazing, so thinking about ways to tweek it.

Perhaps,

100ped ticket, Single Highest Loot
200ped first place
100ped second place
100ped third place
100ped most globals

for each ticket over 7 sold (so starting with the 8th ticket)
50ped to to first, 15ped to 2nd and third, and 20ped to most globals

Would end up something like this,

10 people registered
350ped first
145ped second
145ped third
160ped for most globals

for 20 people registered
850ped first
295ped second
295ped third
360ped for most globals

This is a slightly simpler than having 5 ways to win (only 4 this way)
Gives more value to most globals for that 'competitive' edge
and lowers the number of participants needed to cover the cost of event.

Back