Fake Pilot Scam

Airedale

Veneratio Supremus Totus
Society
Freelancer
Studley Airedale
I was alerted to this scam by one of my passengers, who was personally burned by it.

He and 3 other unfortunates followed a "pilot" to a hangar. The "pilot" collected 20 peds from each of them in the hangar then logged off. The intended passengers lost their 20 peds.

The pilot imposter didn't own the ship or hangar. Here are two ways you can protect yourself from that scam.

1. Check the name of your pilot against the estate marker. If it matches your pilot's name, EXACTLY, you are dealing with the real pilot.

I've heard that it is possible for the estate marker to not match the pilot's name and for a pilot that is renting the hangar to fly the ship. I don't know if that is true or not. I hope some hangar owner that knows for sure will add their two pecs here.

2. If you don't want to check the estate marker or the name doesn't match, don't pay them until you are on the ship. Only the real pilot can add you to the guest list and allow you on board.

If you've flown with the pilot before you may not need to take any precautions. I don't know of a real pilot that would cheat a customer. All the pilots I know are trying to make some peds honestly.

what about pilots at CND? There are no terminals to check there.

Just do not pay until you are on the ship on CND. Only the deed owner can enter the ship and add people to the guest list. Pretty much the same would go for Hangers on Calypso unless you know the person is honest and who they say they are.

I had this problem about 2 months ago, the polit was dressed pretty uber so i scanned him, and his stats were very noobish, so i went out and checked the estate terminal, and sure enough it was not his hanger, very glad i checked.

yeah it is possible for someone to fly a ship without owning the hanger but it involves the hanger owner trusting the pilot 100% as they need the deed for a certain amount of time to make it work.

I have had a few people that hav been spurned by giving peds to someone including one that actually walked into my hanger while i was there, took the money and ran. The only way as people have said is to trade while in the ship itself. And take a screenie of anyone thats odd, just in case.

No you can not rent the hangar. For this to happen the "landlord" ahs to hand the deed to the hangar over to the person flying. Only the claimed owner on the terminal is able to enter the ship and add people to the passenger list.

Im pretty sure Kaiser is right, its the same with houses/apartments, if you dont own it you cant take/put anything their, and as a hanger is an estate it must count for space ships.

It is possible to do because at a time when my hanger was bugged i had promised people that i would do flights for them so at expense i hired a hanger that was owned by another avatar but as i said in my post above you have to have the deed for a short time. :) possible to do but difficult if you dont trust the person and yes you do have to been shown to be the person to own the hanger at the terminal but not necessarily the deed :D

so my bad for saying that you didnt have to own the hanger in my first reply :)

imo it was a very stupid idea of you to post this course now you just gave alot of those ppl out there a new idea :/

Scammers are already doing it. Do you think if I don't mention it that they will stop. :confused:

Airedale said:
Scammers are already doing it. Do you think if I don't mention it that they will stop. :confused:

nope, but im sure new ppl will try it :/

Maybe,but now a lot more people knows that some1 can make that.The better is really to check the state terminal as i guess about 90% of the pilots are the real owners of the hangars..

Back