Fishing: The complete system

JohnCapital

Slayer
Society
Freelancer
John Teacher Capital
Folks have asked about fishing for a long time now. MA/FPC have wanted to do it, but simply either haven't figured out how, or are holding it off in favor of other projects.

Here's how I see it working.

Skills:
Agility
Anatomy
Biology
Dexterity
Fishing (only new skill)
Intelligence
Perception
Scientist
Serendipity
Strength
Xenobiology
Zoology

These skills combine to create the Profession: Fisher.

Gear:
Only one item is needed: Fishing pole (and a refiner)
Poles are crafted and (L) of course. Different fishing pole(L) available for different skill levels. The higher pole/skill combo increases casting distance and improves chances of catching rarer fish.

=========
EDIT:
Another idea is having to use worms as "ammo". 1 worm per cast. Worms are found on ground, like stones/fruit.
=========

Action:
Fishing is available at any location with deep enough water, such as the oceans, and larger rivers.

Standing next to a "puddle" and trying to fish will only receive this message:

There are no fish available here.

Once you find a suitable location, equip and use the pole. The hand swings back over-head and out, casting a long line (this line may increase in length depending on skills/equipment) The avatar is shown reeling in the line, and once it's fully back, you get your answer:

No fish were caught this time.

OR

A loot window showing a single fish (type depending on factors)

Fish:
Different types of fish can be caught. The higher levels can only be reached with sufficient skills/equipment/location. Very, very rare fish may require swimming to find the right spots.

Uses:
The Fish are 0.01-50 ped TT stackables (depending on variety) and each is refined with the Goot Tailoring refiner. The refined material is dependent upon the variety of fish, and is used in different crafting, tailoring, etc. processes. Possible ideas include:
  • Minnosk refines to carcass for crafting Fishing trophies
  • Iron fish refines to iron scales for crafting armor enhancers
  • Marel refines to marel blades for crafting melee weapons
  • Zapels refine to energetic paste for crafting battery components
  • Moon fish refines to lunar bones for crafting new clothes

Out of the ordinary items:
Rarely, a fisher finds something out of the ordinary stuck on their cast, instead of a fish.
  • Strange robot parts (craftable)
  • Seaweed (small TT value but no crafting purpose)

Pole Blueprints
Here's a sample BP recipe for the MK.II fishing pole.

1 Gold Ingot
10 Wool Thread
2 Durable Structure
3 Garcen Lubricant
17 Animal Adrenal Oil

Total TT/click=14.798
Max TT value = 350 (note animal oil res can be used)
Decay = ~0.025/cast (+1 worm)

=========
EDIT:
Please make sure to see this post discussing the addition of boards in the recipe that I forgot to add. Perhaps 2 Long Midastree Board, adding 0.76 pec/click
=========

In short, it's an area specific non-moving mining system.

Well, that's how I see fishing possibly working.

Last edited:
I dig it, i'd so be an calypsian fisherman.

hmmm interestning thoughts! :)

I want different bait!

Let noobs find worms that you can use for fishing ;p

I want little rowing boats to get out into the open sea.

I want large fishing boots for fishing at the shore side.

I want that sometimes fish will escape

I want fishing computers that can detect what kinda fish is in that area, so you know what bait to use

:wtg:

Last edited:
Whale of a idea John
Maybe a quest should be added

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:
Will you be able to catch 2 pound black ribbed knobblers?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVSFEEyVhFk[/YOUTUBE]

Go Fish..(It could work if FPC can figure out what to do!)

Now the only question that remains after reading this, is really how could FPC Implement this using the gaming engine and it's functionality

Other than that, I think it's a good thing.

Oh and the Profession would be Fisherperson or 'Angler' (Being Pollitically correct as there could be some female anglers.(at least that's what they call it in the States).

Now if there is a way for FPC to implement this, it would seem sound.

Ben Coyote a.k.a. "The Blind Sniper" (and a bit of an angler himself)

Last edited by a moderator:
beginners have to look for worms and sell those to fishers that need bait ;o

I vote first unique fishing poll being named, "Antique Cast-a-John 5000"!
(you gotta have a number in the thousands to sound future-uber :D)

Will you be able to catch 2 pound black ribbed knobblers?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVSFEEyVhFk[/YOUTUBE]

LOL love Red Dwarf. :)

Please introduce Morris Dancing also. ;)

Uses:
The Fish are 1-50 pec TT stackables (depending on variety) and each is refined with the Goot Tailoring refiner. The refined material is dependent upon the variety of fish, and is used in different crafting, tailoring, etc. processes. Possible ideas include:
  • Minnosk refines to carcass for crafting Fishing trophies
  • Iron fish refines to iron scales for crafting armor enhancers
  • Marel refines to marel blades for crafting melee weapons
  • Zapels refine to energetic paste for crafting battery components
  • Moon fish refines to lunar bones for crafting new clothes

The idea looks sound. Except you've got the uses part incorrect. Fish should be used for food. Which would need to be cooked first. The other parts of the fish, skin, bones etc could be used for crafting as you suggest.

I suspect MA/FPC are working on a foods/beverages system. Which is why our agility got nerfed this vu, e.g. eat food and increase agility. Different foods may also have different impact on strength, intelligence, dexterity etc.

So if they have a foods/beverages sytem makes sense to have fish used in it.

Cooking and fishing are essential parts of any modern MMoRPG so with time they will arrive :D

this sounds good. I have thought that why there is no fishing in entropia it's one of my favourite hobby irl so i hope that this is going to make breakthrough and come in entropia too. and i have seen combibo giving fishing pole in loot but that is useless now. now we only need MA to take this on the table and make this part of the universe

Sounds great JC :)

Hopefully we'll see something like this some day. I'd love to chill by the pond and do some fishing, watching the skies go by... Now with the weather system and the lovely scenery it'd be really ace. :yay:

Worms are should be located like finding fruit or via purchaseable medication to scoop them via the butt;)

I really like the idea, all i want to add to it is a few skillunlocks and it would be complete :yay:

beginners have to look for worms and sell those to fishers that need bait ;o

an nice small mound behind the SC in swampcamp where lots of people are on all 4 digging for worms :yay:

sweet idea to be able to fish though, do want =D

Can't see Moonfish being to pleased at being chased round Calypso by colonists with sticks lines and hooks :)

He got done over enough when MA flattened his shop in New Oxford

Worms are should be located like finding fruit or via purchaseable medication to scoop them via the butt;)

lol came to think of something too.

we already have worms wandering the lands.

Sabakumas, ambu (chop the legs), and letomie :p

bigger worms bigger fish? :D

Fishing rods are ingame since some time now.

Marco only said "Fishing is fun ,-)"... a long time ago already.

and it will always be this way, you have to accept that.

I would love to catch fish with a Coachman on the end of both sides of the line :D

Q: Why shouldn't boorum catch fish?

A: Ripper snapper may catch the wrong pole :eek::eyecrazy:

:scratch2:
No we don't
at least not gracefully
:trout::trout::trout:

If Marco can provide streaming music in the new slave factories and a specail working relationship for the upperclasses (dedicated players) he can begin to start providing more opportunities for the lower and middle classes.

:scratch2:

Or maybe we'll all get to work in somebody's fish factory for free.

:trout::trout::trout:

Last edited:
Excellent idea!
I like the way your fishing works more like sweating than hunting.

There's only one thing missing I think: fish need to be like chicken.
Not "taste like chicken", I mean they need to be scared, just like real fish. If someone goes splashing about in the water, all the fish must go away.

ummm as a comsumer i dont have to accept anything.
Marco the public puppet says all kinds of stuff.

Fishing would be easy to implement bait is like ammo and fish is like loot.
Yes they will make fishing in the years to come.
They are just so slow at it.

Once they stop seeing the game as a place to scam new investors and start letting it build into a real game then we will have fishing and all kinds of other things we all want. and then the players will retrun and the econ will grow.

I guess they were slowed down when they found out the programmers stole a huge portion of the program from another video game company and had to rebuild.

Mabye after its all is back online it will grow. Its a game of maybe maybe maybe. Wait long enough to bring us new fun and we will go to the other upstart real econ games.

Have to accept it.
Accept this. this 50$ I was going to deposite. Im going to go buy a real fishing pole and go ice fishing in my back yard. Have fun-Marco.

ps good job on bringing back everything. It was faster then I thought it could happen. You must have been working hard.

Yes.

I has fishing pole. It doesn't even look right on the wall (messed up collisions so that is half invisible), it can't be put on the floor. Seems like a terrible "decoration."

So make it works so I can get a fisHOF. :yay:

I really like the idea, all i want to add to it is a few skillunlocks and it would be complete :yay:

If you'll notice, the skill list includes Xenobiology and Scientist. ;)

I see Steffel recommended Intuition as another unlock. Ineresting choice.

Now the only question that remains after reading this, is really how could FPC Implement this using the gaming engine and it's functionality

Actually, I designed this to work specifically with the current game engine. The current game engine has all the functionality available for this. After figuring fish names & uses, it wouldn't be too hard to make.

Excellent idea!
I like the way your fishing works more like sweating than hunting.

Yeah that's exactly it. A combination of sweating and mining instead of hunting. This way, FPC doesn't need to make visible, moving fish spawns. They stay invisible like mining spawns.

I wanted the system to be fairly easy, fairly relaxing, and semi-useful.

Kind of like fishing :D

Oh yeah.... Rippersnappers should remain as they are, otherwise we won't be able to grenade-fish anything! :laugh:

Back