FYI: For God's Sake MA/FPC/SDS or whoever's running this thing now, GET A GRIP OF YOUR MARKETING!

The chicken and the egg analogy. Which comes first?:

Do we advertise with better adverts to draw more players in only to have 5% to 10% stay? Not only that, to have the 90% to 95% that didn't, bash it on every other forum, game review, and or other media outlet there is??

OR

Do we:

First, create a system that entices the gamer to want to play/explore more. Second, create a way for these new players to willingly decide that 10 to 20 dollars a month is worth their time and energy. Lastly, build a strong connection to the game/gamer that allows them to willingly say, on every other forum/media outlet that "Hey, this game is absofucking awesome, come and try it out!!"

With out these in place first, all the advertising in the world will only lead to failure.

So for me, expensive advertising right now, would be a waste of money.

Just so you understand, I am very much for way better advertising and feel there is a great need for MA to do so. I just want to give it the best opportunity to succeed!! :)

totally agreed!! great thread:yup:

i´m going a bit off-topic, maybe relate to #3) in OP.

do you really want more -i mean huge amounts- of players?
really? what is this guy thinking you may ask yourself now.
last week the new instances on Ark and RT were introduced and shortly after not accessible anymore. server at its capacity and beyond.:eyecrazy: Alice wrote in her summary about the big influx after the cnd/cp sales and this leading to new players being send in various directions.
some of us have seen this message: "This Area is currently not available" somewhere i read it´s 500 players per server and then it´s done but don´t nail me on it. ;)

so what would happen if we get this big influx? ...nothing!:eyecrazy: because you couldn´t get to your appartment/shop or meet your pal to hunt/trade, ...whatever.
MA isn´t prepared for lots of players at a time. most people complain about lag in cities now, imagine what kind of mess this would be with lots of new players and friendly old players trying to help them getting started.

just my:twocents:

atleast the ark banners has spread on the wow p server i play and i like the banners of ark.

I keep seeing the Caly/Ark banners wherever I go, almost hourly when browsing the internet, on all different sites. Even on other computers when I'm not using mine I see them a lot. They're only the banner ads, but I think MA should invest some time and money into at least a 15 and 30 second commercial for youtube, maybe make a 1-3 minute ad to put in some movie theaters and on tv.

maybe make a 1-3 minute ad to put in some movie theaters and on tv.

Yes, I thought TV would be too expensive but this kinda looks possible, especially given that MA have a budget in the millions if a big part of the CLD revenue really was to be spent on advertising. Guess the question is whether it brings enough people to justify the costs or not. EU is quite niche.

http://www.tvadvertising.co.uk/tv-advertising-costs.php said:
In general television advertising is planned and bought on a cost per thousand basis. This means that the advertiser pays an agreed amount for every thousand impacts that the broadcaster delivers to their target audience.Most channels will trade on a discount off ITV's price each month, which averages at £6.36* per thousand adult viewers.
This means that if an advertiser has a budget of £10,000 it could buy an average of 1.6 million adult impacts at ratecard. These impacts are then delivered through a number of spots (advert breaks) which are typically 30 seconds long. The number of spots that you will get will depend on the size of the channel and how many impacts each spot delivers on average.
The number of impacts that each channel delivers varies depending on its popularity. A spot on ITV2, for example, delivers an average of 250k adult impacts during the daytime. On SKY1, on the other hand, an average daytime spot will deliver 30k adult impacts.
Taking these two channels as examples, a £10k daytime campaign could buy you around 6 spots on ITV2 or 50 spots on SKY1. In practice though, advertisers should build a schedule with a range of channels which best suit your objectives and target audience.

Yes, I thought TV would be too expensive but this kinda looks possible, especially given that MA have a budget in the millions if a big part of the CLD revenue really was to be spent on advertising. Guess the question is whether it brings enough people to justify the costs or not. EU is quite niche.

TV is for advertising mass consumer products, i.e. stuff that pretty much everyone might conceivably buy, and particularly products that almost everyone uses a type of. Food, drink, insurance, energy, television, cars.

Try watching some TV adverts and count how many things are advertised that you don't already use, and don't use a competing alternative product. There won't be very many.

It's not a cost effective advertising medium for a minority product.

TV is for advertising mass consumer products, i.e. stuff that pretty much everyone might conceivably buy, and particularly products that almost everyone uses a type of. Food, drink, insurance, energy, television, cars.

Try watching some TV adverts and count how many things are advertised that you don't already use, and don't use a competing alternative product. There won't be very many.

I'm not sure of the culture where you live, but I doubt there is a very large % of households that have not already payed for a 'competing' alternative product to Entropia in one form or another.

one superbowl ad would be all MA would need to hit a massive amount of people coming in, at least to look around for a while. Some would stay, some might not. Is 6 million they got enough to do that - maybe once, but they could do a lot more with the cash in other ad types... however, I do think doing one superbowl ad someday, either ma or a pp would be sweet as hell, lol

you might be surprised at the dumb crap they advertise on some of the cable channels in the U.S.! :cowboy:
one superbowl ad...
would never happen! :silly2:

Yeah, that's why I thought it wouldn't be suitable. But the costs were lower than I expected, and I have seen WoW advertised on TV, so made me wonder.

I dunno, off the top of my head: Diapers, Tampax, Toothpaste :silly2:

Yeah, that's why I thought it wouldn't be suitable. But the costs were lower than I expected, and I have seen WoW advertised on TV, so made me wonder.

I dunno, off the top of my head: Diapers, Tampax, Toothpaste :silly2:
Using this instead http://i.imgur.com/565mQ.jpg ? :ahh:

I find it hard to believe 75%-90% of new players quit after a week!

I find these figures to be a bit exaggerated without any actual hard evidence!

claiming to hang out at the New Arrival Zone taking head counts or using your failed disciples to represent the entire new player base just doesn't cut it for me!

(sorry if I'm getting off-topic) :offtopic:

i agree that estimates based on mentoring or newbie headcounts generally sucks
unfortunately MA is too chicken to give the actual figures
we dont even know how many players are active, the only figure you tend to get from MA is "total player count"
you can prolly divide that figure already by two just to get all the "alternate" avatars of peoples "brothers", "sisters" and "dogs" who play EU out of the picture
how many of those still play is hard to say

i had a lot of disciples tho and the average looked like it
the mentors i spoke with had similar experiences
most quit already when they had to sweat/deposit to get a jesterd1/opalo

but i wouldnt mind to see actual figures of newbies incoming and how of them still logs in after 2 weeks

another interesting factor for the "newbie" and "total player amount" is actually the alts created
there have always been alts, to bypass the sweating cap for example
lately, another "good" reason was implemented
the free stuff you can get from the newbie missions (i could tell ya stories ^^)

its hard to say who is newbie and who isnt

Okay, so more than half a year ago 60,000 CLDs were sold in order to raise $6million USD in which to use on a marketing campaign. What has become of it?

I still can't believe that some in the Entropia community actually think that all 6 million USD was going to go to advertising... :duh:

Q. How will the proceeds of the Land Lot deeds be used by MindArk?
A. The proceeds from the Land Lot deeds will help to finance a substantial Entropia Universe marketing campaign, along with further development of Entropia Universe and Planet Calypso.

I think the advertising budget was substantially less than 6 million USD.

That just one of MA banners for EU, i have seen at least two others for Calypso. Banners are a cheap way to at least do some promotion for the game and i guess it's a test to check out the response, if it had any effect. I believe this is just a first step and they are waiting on to finish up more system and improving the game play for new players before making any bigger marketing effort. That's because they have limited resources to spend on marketing and need to be careful how to spend them.

But one thing i agree on, it's very strange that the don't use video trailers more, they very lacking in this area. Can't be that hard to make some good looking official promotion trailers?

I think the advertising budget was substantially less than 6 million USD.
I think a chunk of it went in to the redesigning the gateway recently... and similar projects will come out of it later in other areas... could be wrong, but someone had to pay the level designer...

I think a chunk of it went in to the redesigning the gateway recently... and similar projects will come out of it later in other areas... could be wrong, but someone had to pay the level designer...

Are you capable of doing math?

6 million dollars.

That's enough to pay a team of 20 people 300k each for a years work. Given the design teams likely size of less than 6, average salaries of 60-80k/year market rate, and that the gateway redesign has been going on for half a year, a 'chunk' is hardly accurate.

A little bit might be more accurate. If the entire team were paid a full years wages for the project, at max salaries of 80k, it would come up to less than 1/2 million.

To be perfectly honest, Calypso's revenue can probably support most of that on its own, if not all of it.

Are you capable of doing math?
Are you capable of doing reading?

Q. How will the proceeds of the Land Lot deeds be used by MindArk?
A. The proceeds from the Land Lot deeds will help to finance a substantial Entropia Universe marketing campaign, along with further development of Entropia Universe and Planet Calypso.
That alone probably took few mills out, even though they didn't really do anything, but have to pay those peeps anyways.
Anyways, they're paying way more for the development than for advertising.

OP is simply hot...all points taken so on...but maybe...just maybe MA have some interferences with the laws from certain countryes..or from most of em?...idk, might be just my impression but they surely avoid wide open publicity since ever.

OP is simply hot...all points taken so on...but maybe...just maybe MA have some interferences with the laws from certain countryes..or from most of em?...idk, might be just my impression but they surely avoid wide open publicity since ever.

a few million set aside for lawyers fees maybe, lol.

Are you capable of doing reading?

Sure am. What was your point? You cant honestly tell me that you believe anything mastermesh says is actually worthwhile.

It clearly isnt. He's a yellow journalist. Yellow journalists need to be called out in order to protect society from itself. Otherwise the whole damn thing implodes as people accuse each other of all sorts of nonsensical crap while ostensibly trying to promote the 'common good.'

His constant jabs are not based in fact at all, but cause plenty of damage to the community.

http://!!!!!!!!!!!!!.wordpress.com/

Oh, that's right. Your point was you thought my post was mean spirited. It was. I dont like the garbage that he posts. What of it? If he wants to post his trash publicly, why should he not be called out for doing so?

Would be nice if someone from MA could give us some info on what's happening with this investment. It's the one thing we really shouldn't be kept in the dark about.

Sure am. What was your point? You cant honestly tell me that you believe anything mastermesh says is actually worthwhile.

It clearly isnt. He's a yellow journalist. Yellow journalists need to be called out in order to protect society from itself. Otherwise the whole damn thing implodes as people accuse each other of all sorts of nonsensical crap while ostensibly trying to promote the 'common good.'

His constant jabs are not based in fact at all, but cause plenty of damage to the community.

http://!!!!!!!!!!!!!.wordpress.com/

Oh, that's right. Your point was you thought my post was mean spirited. It was. I dont like the garbage that he posts. What of it? If he wants to post his trash publicly, why should he not be called out for doing so?

and your point is..???

That blog is, I agree, pretty much 'trashy' which is why it is called what it is called, lol. The whole 'purpose' behind it has indeed changed over time, but it was created with the basic intention to 'call out' MA and the PPs, as well as various entities in teh community on various bullcrap that goes on that gets buried deeply and widely by multiple forums in multiple places that only those that are close to the community know about since they keep watch on the forums, social chit chat channels, etc. like a hawk so much sometimes...

Most of it is really just links to what others have posted, nothing much more than that. If you or the devs don't like it, don't read it, or better yet, FIX THE DARN PROBLEMS THAT YOU DON'T LIKE ABOUT IT THAT CAUSED IT TO BE MENTIONED IN THE FIRST PLACE!...

If you can't fix them personally, call those that can to do their job better so that the problems, exploits, and scams all go away. If EU was all that it 'could potentially be' and sometimes 'promises to be' there'd be 1000 blogs focused on various positive aspects of the game for every one that focuses on the negative. So far, that does not seem to be happening.... Why? Perhaps because people are not happy with the product, and lying about what really is there sure the hell isn't going to make it become all better just because a fanboi smiles and is dreaming of rainbows and unicorns when they are really looking at something rather different.

I am only one person with a blog... If you don't like free speech because you disagree with what someone else says, well, that's a problem you might want to discuss with a councilor at some point in the future...

Last edited:
As a paying customer, I totally agree with this thread.

Please hire a marketing director that is a rockstar. Also fire people that dont cut the musturd.

Isnt that kinda what MA did back in the days, when they got Neverdie to "join" and promote the game in the US.

Im not saying it was successful or that he is a rockstar, but its kinda what they did.

Now we`re basicly flooded with rockstars and I cant say its helping much.

and your point is..???

My point is pretty much unnecessary to illustrate further. Im sure you started out with good intentions, but they are no longer good. They're just attention grabbing.

Its puerile.

I stopped playing in May 2011 and recently returned, I have read on here these ads have been active since March or earlier, but I hadn't seen a single one before having returned to the Entropia Universe website.

Your google spyware, erm I mean cookies can't be set properly, or you do non-related searches. MA have tapped into google's empire, I've seen A LOT of adverts - aimed directly at me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. My 2 pecs.
Regards,
Boo

My favourite radio station is 'listener-supported'. They had a competition, with a grand prize, to see who could get the first 'Viral Video' with hits over 1m on Youtube, naming the brand, it seems a great, cost-effective idea for MA.

Your google spyware, erm I mean cookies can't be set properly, or you do non-related searches. MA have tapped into google's empire, I've seen A LOT of adverts - aimed directly at me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. My 2 pecs.
Regards,
Boo

Do you or do you not already play Entropia Universe? The answer is yes, which means the ads you're seeing are being targeted at people who've already been searching for the game. My point was that if you hadn't visited or searched for something already extremely relevant to the game that these ads would not be displayed. They're being targetted at the WRONG PEOPLE. We do NOT need to see these ads. The people who need to see these ads are people who do not already play the game.

Your argument is invalid.

Back