For Traders, simple "[..]" square brackets deleter in Copy Item Link

Burenka

Young
I play EU for a while, and I often use Auction. I do some trading daily. I need to find something in Auction, and typing the items' names might be extremely annoying if you need to do that like 10 times a day. So, well, I use the "Copy Item Link" button a lot. But whenever you paste the copied name into the Search field in Auction, it pastes like this: [Standard Plate], [Robot Weapon Grip], etc.

with these [...] square brackets in the first and last symbols. This is a cool feature when you need to send the link in the chat, but, well, not that great if you need it for Auction Search. Because a sequence of "click->Home->Delete->End->BackSpace->Enter", to remove them, frankly again could be annoying if you need to do that 10-20 per use, like hundreds of times per day.

I'm not a Software Engineer, but I finally put some time into creating a simple application (all merit to ChatGPT thing, which can make you do things like that). So now I am happy to share this simple application. Just download, unpack, and run (should work okay in Windows 10, 11). When you need to fix brackets, just hit CTRL-SHIFT-F, this will turn it ON. And when it is ON, whenever you copy something [with square brackets], it will delete those brackets on paste.
  1. Here is https://github.com/DanTarBu/MAtools/blob/main/copy-paste-fixer.py code, so you can compile it yourself. Also, you can find a zip-archive (split into 3 parts, due to GitHub restrictions of 25 MB file size).
  2. Here is a screenshot of the interface: https://github.com/DanTarBu/MAtools/blob/main/copypastefixer.jpg
  3. and here is the link for direct download: https://data40.com/arch/copy-paste-fixer.zip
Hope you enjoy it the same as I. Good luck in trading.

Maybe MA could just add this feature in auctionhouse?

When you'd post item links to Auction house text field, brackets would be removed.

Should prolly make suggestion in feedback thread and save us all! 😁👍

Sure would be a nice thing but for me, the simplest is to just write a couple of letters from each word, so instead of "Robot Weapon Grip" you can just write "ro we gr" this makes searching a lot easier until when MA would do anything about it, which could be Soon™

thats a nice idea....i also type in search like 30 times a day to get actual prices.....but the search on auc is awesome...you onyl need to type 3-5 letters on many things (example for armatrix lr 70 = lr-70 or lr-7, safety system i type only safet) for me thats easier than copy and pasting tho

one thing i dont rly like ..is the search bar now at top right...it used to be top left...you have to click there then move to buttom left for view..then top right again etc....

1. Here is https://github.com/DanTarBu/MAtools/blob/main/copy-paste-fixer.py code, so you can compile it yourself. Also, you can find a zip-archive (split into 3 parts, due to GitHub restrictions of 25 MB file size).
Out of curiosity, what do you package with that simple script to make your binary over 50 Mb?????

I don't know you so will not accuse you of anything bad yet, but anybody should be very careful when downloading and running software from unknown parties.

Out of curiosity, what do you package with that simple script to make your binary over 50 Mb?????

I don't know you so will not accuse you of anything bad yet, but anybody should be very careful when downloading and running software from unknown parties.
It's indeed bigger than it could be but that's pretty normal when converting python to a windows executable.

While the imports of the python file are only around 100KB, these imports itself require other imports respectively. Looking at pyperclip import f.e., it has another 8 imports, including os, platform and contextlib which are pretty big packages on their own.
This and the fact that .exe files have an overhead of their own, 50MB isn't the worst.

For sure it could be optimised in certain ways, but the size shouldn't make it more dangerous, just the fact that someone else compiled it.
Best thing to do would be to install python an run the .py file or run pyinstaller yourself to make an executable.

Anyway, never knew I would need this, thanks OP!

I'm not really Python dev, but if what you say is 'normal' in Python world, this is trully ridiculous amount of dependencies to run simple script.

I did "pyinstaller --onefile copy-paste-fix.py" within Anaconda 3 eco,
yeah, I also was kinda confused why so huge size for such a tiny programm, but I havent had time last night to go through and try to fix it,

i will try once more, some who I asked today, said that this is not the single way to create exe file, and not the efficient, he told me another library, something for windows-UXed applications, but that was a bit complicated for me to jump into

Last edited:
Reactions: Tei

I 100% agree, so that is the reason I linked original file so everyone can compile it within 5 min for themselves.

although, I was thinking about this, like take a look, I have an account in Entropia

Code:
Welcome Danila Burenka Ta
Account Created 2016-03-15

And I've put into the game thousands of real money right. This topic is pre-moderated by forum moderators, so they also know my character and his assets right. And all the damage might be done in EU, well, EU is closed ecosystem, with heavy moderation on cash-out, right? if there anything with file,

(a) someone will report that imideately here at forum, right?
(b) devs have full control of situation?
(c) just common sense about me to loose mind to try fraud someone here, in EU?

So, I believed people will choose for them, if they want to try that application, or complie it for themselves.

But more important for me was just to bring dev-s attention to this issue, like "if someone spend time to code utility to fix some inconvinience in game, and it is popular solution, and a lot of people use it, may be we should fix it?", or smth )))) I hope it'll work that way.

Also I hoped, that someone with software development expertise might (a) recompile code to make it better, or (b) just provides an expertise feedback on file, mb some trust check or smth.

Reactions: Tei
I play EU for a while, and I often use Auction. I do some trading daily. I need to find something in Auction, and typing the items' names might be extremely annoying if you need to do that like 10 times a day. So, well, I use the "Copy Item Link" button a lot. But whenever you paste the copied name into the Search field in Auction, it pastes like this: [Standard Plate], [Robot Weapon Grip], etc.

with these [...] square brackets in the first and last symbols. This is a cool feature when you need to send the link in the chat, but, well, not that great if you need it for Auction Search. Because a sequence of "click->Home->Delete->End->BackSpace->Enter", to remove them, frankly again could be annoying if you need to do that 10-20 per use, like hundreds of times per day.

I'm not a Software Engineer, but I finally put some time into creating a simple application (all merit to ChatGPT thing, which can make you do things like that). So now I am happy to share this simple application. Just download, unpack, and run (should work okay in Windows 10, 11). When you need to fix brackets, just hit CTRL-SHIFT-F, this will turn it ON. And when it is ON, whenever you copy something [with square brackets], it will delete those brackets on paste.
  2. Here is a screenshot of the interface: https://github.com/DanTarBu/MAtools/blob/main/copypastefixer.jpg
  3. and here is the link for direct download: https://data40.com/arch/copy-paste-fixer.zip
Hope you enjoy it the same as I. Good luck in trading.
in case mindark doesnt fix the item search with brackets.....

did you know that you can type part of words and make the search work?

for example, search for sta plat for searching for standard plate, or simply "b-amp al" for all [Mayhem B-Amplifier Alpha (L)] and so on

just use the first few letters of the item name, and if it has more words, add the first few letters of those words.

picture example;

as you can see, you dont even have to type the words in the correct order. just use the first letter of each word, or first two letters, and it will find the item you are looking for :D

yeah, I know that some tricks with typing could work.

Yet, still, my UX-in-series of trading requires a lot of work with checking, i have positions in inventory, more than I have slots at the market, something like:

• 10 common rare materials positions for sale
  • 10 common components,
  • 2-4 common ArMatrix outcomes,
and also I have
  • 3-10 positions per day expected additional loot (like shrap, some oils etc)
  • 3-10 positions per day for some uncommon loot-for-sale (chips, L-weapons, and all kind of trash)
  • 20-40 long-term positions for sale in stock in inventory,
  • 20-40 ultra-long-term-positions-waiting-for-good-season-for-sale
Also I work with "few different stacks in one position" and "low-amount-high-MU-positions" kind of issue.

So my trading session looks like:
  1. First I check message center and re-stock-at-market all common positions which was sold over last night or 2-4 hours per day
  2. Everytime before put restocked positions i need to recheck amount/price/mu-level with my google spreadsheet (which I use to determine optimal volume-price-MU for low-stacks)
  3. After this I usually have 5-10 free trading slots, so now I need...
  4. To fast check all uncommon and longterm positions, to check (a) competitors offer, (b) amount of current positions at stock, (c) amount of current positions/MU at market for like 10-50 items in inventory.
  5. And after that i need to check materials fast in craft window, and start to craft restocks for common positions.

^ and this algorithm I do like 1-5 times per day,

Try to imagine how much I use Search window :)) hundreds time per day, and often for the same and same items. I can blind-type all them extremely fast, but yet, i need the FASTEST way to work with search.

May be this is not really common issue for most of players, but this is my way of play EU.

The most desirable way for me MA to fix this - is to add into the right-click-mouse-on-item menu bullit like "Show in the Market Window", so it will decrease all the least clicks (the same way it works in Craft window, but just for the Inventory) - this going to be the best solution imo

Back