Forbes article on gaming preference survey

Mac

Marauder
Mannanan Mac y Lir
http://www.forbes.com/sites/abigail...-games-gamers-gaming-preferences-ps4-xbox-one

Video game revenues are expected to hit $93 billion by 2019. FORBES was curious as to what factors continue to drive the growth of this market.

To that end, in a partnership with research software company Qualtrics , FORBES surveyed 500 video game players to get to the bottom of what keeps gamers shelling out cash at every big game release. The survey group mirrored the demographic breakdown of the video game market. Fifty-six percent of the respondents were male and the largest age group in the survey pool was 25 to 34. Of the group, 45% reported playing video games for more than two hours each day and 29% said they spend between one and two hours playing daily. The remaining 26% reported spending less than an hour playing video games on a daily basis.

The survey found that action/adventure games were the most popular genre, with 57% of respondents saying that they liked them. When respondents were asked what their favorite games were, Candy Crush, Call Of Duty and Madden were the most commonly listed titles. The majority of people surveyed prefer solo gameplay (67%), compared to 23% who prefer multiplayer games.

For deciding what made a game good or bad, the “look and feel” of the game dominated with 65% of those surveyed responding that it was important, followed by game components (think: characters, weapons, Easter Eggs, etc.). According to the survey, the least important factor was rules, with just 18% saying that it was important. The gamers also said that gameplay matters more than the story in video games.

When asked what their favorite first person shooter games were, 32% said Call Of Duty, followed by Halo at 18%. Call Of Duty was also one of the most common titles listed—accompanied by Mario and Candy Crush—when respondents were asked what game they would choose if they could only play one game for the rest of their lives. When it came to the greatest game of all time, however, Candy Crush mentions dropped off and Zelda joined the ranks of the remaining two titles as the most popular answers to the open response question.

When it comes to cost, 53% of respondents said that a fair price for a new game fell in the $20 to $40 range. Of those surveyed, half said that their annual video game budget—not including consoles—is $100 or less, but about 4% reported spending $500 or more on gaming annually. Most of the gamers (66%) reported spending $250 0r less in total on any gaming franchise. In terms of where people buy games, it was a mix. Sixty-three percent buy them online, compared to 48% who buy from brick and mortar retail stores. Another 21% said that they will purchase games secondhand.

When asked what their favorite video game platform was, 20% said Xbox, 31% said PlayStation, 13% said Android, 27% said Windows and 5% and 3% said iOS and Mac OS, respectively. Similarly, when it comes to recommending a video game system to someone in the market, PlayStation 4 got the largest share. Of the survey group, 37% said that they would recommend the PS4, compared to 27% who said that they recommend the Xbox One.

See the infographic in the linked article.

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/abigailtracy/files/2016/03/VIDEO-GAMES-SURVEY.gif

500 people? That's way too small of a sample size. :)

500 people? That's way too small of a sample size. :)

I didn't get a call, it doesn't look like any other long term PE players did either :laugh:

I expect CLD and AUD prices to jump on this data :yay:

Interesting that android scored so high as a gaming platform, makes me interested to see how Compets will do...

I didn't get a call, it doesn't look like any other long term PE players did either :laugh:

I think i will write a strongly worded letter to these Forbes people!! :mad:

I think i will write a strongly worded letter to these Forbes people!! :mad:

You tell 'em!

Just imagine what their numbers would look like if they surveyed 500 PE players :laugh:

Back