Force-shield generator for small spacecraft

INTERNUT

Alpha
Society
Freelancer
INTERNUT
If you're flying a small unarmed spacecraft and you get bounced by a pirate, there's little you can do, so it would be great if you could get a force-field generator that you attach to a small spacecraft just like a thruster.

Just let him waste ammo on you, respawn and repair your ship. continue journey.

But what about the time factor? It takes about twenty minutes at least to get from say cyrene to caly in a standard quad-wing, or thirty mins in a sleipnir. Last time I was bounced (just a day ago), I ended up at the revive back on cyrene space station so effectively had to repeat the journey all over again, so another twenty minutes. I think a force-shield generator would be a good idea imho, as it would allow you to carry on and so save time.

Space needs far more than just the one adjustment in my opinion.
However, even your single suggestion shouldn't for me mean a quad or sleip becomes fully protected, because if it did that would end pvp pretty quickly, and also end a main purpose of the bigger ships that do have variable shield strengths after investment in them, plus crews for live repairing if attacked.
Overall I favour longer safe lanes, maybe with mobs to avoid, and limited cargos so that people must weigh up time spent and the possible benefit of travelling further but risk-free. Even that is simplistic, but covers a few more points. Partial higher protections, variable max speeds etc could play a part in a future space overhaul too, yes.

Everyone have different economy so yes everyone can't afford to arm the quad, but if you can, do it.
Instead of flying asap to land directly, do a small hunt with spacemobs, I do it every tijme I head for a planet.
You increase two skills for HP, Space Pilot and Heavy Weapons, and you will not have regular flight path
either.
I have a new strategy when I head out from one planet also, if a player follows me that have shot me down
earlier, I head for them directluy and attack in regular pvp.

Space should have complete overhaul imo, with several new features like space mining, able to craft on MS,
storage for each spaceserver, instances, and removal of pvp lootable and instead make players and ships as
any mob so we get loot in regular pvp. As it is now we got to have pvp lootable sadly because that will hinder
MA from develop a lot more features where can't lose resources and materials.

Joat has an interesting option for crossing the lootable section, of fighting someone following earlier. Lose and simply try again or decide whether to now try and cross pvp with some damage but nobody behind. With more repair stations around near pvp borders or the ability to repair in flight like the bigger ships do, we could see more interesting interactions even without much really changed by MA ...

Space needs far more than just the one adjustment in my opinion.
However, even your single suggestion shouldn't for me mean a quad or sleip becomes fully protected, because if it did that would end pvp pretty quickly, and also end a main purpose of the bigger ships that do have variable shield strengths after investment in them, plus crews for live repairing if attacked.
Overall I favour longer safe lanes, maybe with mobs to avoid, and limited cargos so that people must weigh up time spent and the possible benefit of travelling further but risk-free. Even that is simplistic, but covers a few more points. Partial higher protections, variable max speeds etc could play a part in a future space overhaul too, yes.
I agree, it needs many adjustments, but a force-shield generator almost immediately came to mind at the time. Full protection, or at least partial protection would be at extra fuel cost, so there would be a risk of getting stranded if you used it too much and there could be a repair cost involved. Longer safe lanes is a good idea though.

Avoid straight paths and altitude 0.
I did on the second attempt of getting from cyrene to caly and that worked, but it took about another ten minutes.

Everyone have different economy so yes everyone can't afford to arm the quad, but if you can, do it.
Instead of flying asap to land directly, do a small hunt with spacemobs, I do it every tijme I head for a planet.
You increase two skills for HP, Space Pilot and Heavy Weapons, and you will not have regular flight path
either.
I have a new strategy when I head out from one planet also, if a player follows me that have shot me down
earlier, I head for them directluy and attack in regular pvp.

Space should have complete overhaul imo, with several new features like space mining, able to craft on MS,
storage for each spaceserver, instances, and removal of pvp lootable and instead make players and ships as
any mob so we get loot in regular pvp. As it is now we got to have pvp lootable sadly because that will hinder
MA from develop a lot more features where can't lose resources and materials.
Didn't know you could arm a standard quad, only those special ones.

Safe passage lanes between planets clearly marked and new biomes created around space like CP or just new clusters of non instanced terrain you can land on and use a space suit and hunt/mine on would be pritty fun. Space really has a gold mine of untapped potential, i hope it gets development further soon

Look for Kismet laser.
Why isn't this mentioned in the craft's info tab. It's almost as though MA doesn't want you to know certain things.

Last edited:
You can arm quad with two weapons for both pilot and passenger seats.
So enabling both forward and rearward firing? Or both forward firing? I assume you auto-target and fire at pirates and mobs using the F-key.

Safe passage lanes between planets clearly marked and new biomes created around space like CP or just new clusters of non instanced terrain you can land on and use a space suit and hunt/mine on would be pritty fun. Space really has a gold mine of untapped potential, i hope it gets development further soon
Yeah I like the sound of wearing space suits on asteroids and such.

Why isn't this mentioned in the craft's info tab. It's almost as though MA doesn't want you to know certain things.
I don't think it should be a surprise by now that not everything is listed in-game, much of the knowledge about the game is through player knowledge. That's part of the fun of this game too.

That said, that info is listed right on the wiki entry for quadwings.

So enabling both forward and rearward firing? Or both forward firing? I assume you auto-target and fire at pirates and mobs using the F-key.
No.
If you have both weapons attached to quad and have a passenger, you can both shoot mob or pirate. Only forward.
Also there isn't such thing as auto target in space, you need to target and shoot manually (using E key).

I don't think it should be a surprise by now that not everything is listed in-game, much of the knowledge about the game is through player knowledge. That's part of the fun of this game too.

That said, that info is listed right on the wiki entry for quadwings.
Can't argue with that. Still, having just completed three round-trips of all the planets going clockwise from calypso, hopefully I've learnt something of the pitfalls involved with EU-space travel. He, he ;)

It is listed in game.
If you open info on any vehicle, on the "Basic" tab, you will find a list of attachments any vehicle can carry (under "Attachment slots:").
If you open a mounted weapon info, on the "Basic" tab you will find "Attaches to:"

Example: Kismet is SWeHM-S A1 type. And Quad has a slot for it (with the same name).

Bear in mind tho. Some weapons are for the driver. Some are for the gunner only (passenger). If a vehicle is capable of carrying multiple, for multiple users, those will be, usually, listed in order.

You also can spot a slot for thruster on vehicles that are capable of going into space: VST-I

Last edited:
It is listed in game.
If you open info on any vehicle, on the "Basic" tab, you will find a list of attachments any vehicle can carry (under "Attachment slots:").
If you open a mounted weapon info, on the "Basic" tab you will find "Attaches to:"

Example: Kismet is SWeHM-S A1 type. And Quad has a slot for it (with the same name).

Bear in mind tho. Some weapons are for the driver. Some are for the gunner only (passenger). If a vehicle is capable of carrying multiple, for multiple users, those will be, usually, listed in order.

You also can spot a slot for thruster on vehicles that are capable of going into space: VST-I
Yeah seems you're right and that I'm guilty of not having always right-clicked on a vehicle when spawned to see the various options. Usually I just click on the vehicle icon in carried inventory and then select View Information.

Yeah seems you're right and that I'm guilty of not having always right-clicked on a vehicle when spawned to see the various options. Usually I just click on the vehicle icon in carried inventory and then select View Information.
And when you do this, it will show attachment slots too.

And when you do this, it will show attachment slots too.
Very true, maybe I've done too many trips of all the planets ;) I still think a force-shield generator attachment would be a good thing to have though.

Back