Forum Transition: Status Update

How many images are currently in your member album?

I just tried uploading an image to an album with a test account and had no problems.

Anyone else having problems uploading images to their member albums?

I had problems when trying to delete a few pictures from my member album. It said they were deleted, but they never were.

The first post makes no mention of SKINS. Please add more skins soon... personally I cannot stand the baby-blue font-color being used.
For my part, I read best when the text is black (except when the background is also black).

Seconded, the grey / blue and stark white colourscheme I find clinical and not very restful. I hope a few choices will be offered in due course.

Also dont like how old posts in the top left corner are marked white and new posts are very pale blue/grey. Prefer the old yellow colour back if possible - much better! :)

REPORT: In the old days I was able to exclude certain forums from the new posts query... will that fuction return?

Just curious... had this been returned? If so, I can't find it. No pressure, just curious.

Is there a way to optimize the new forum for mobile devices? Old EF had an option you could change and I can't seem to locate it on my BlackBerry.

Gratz on the new look I did like the Old look though going to miss it but anyway look forward to seeing all those good post up here

I have not read the whole thread, so I don't know if this has been mentioned before... but the way the new forum handles user sessions (login, session inactivity time, etc..) is quite different than in EF.

For the record, I use Firefox, I have my user/pwd remembered by the browser, and I have Firefox configured to delete all my cookies when I close the browser.

That's how EF worked for me:
- EF showed two login fields, and one of them had my user/pwd fields auto-filled, so I only had to press "login"
- After some inactivity time, EF never showed the login screen again; instead it made a kind of auto-login (I did not have to re-enter my credentials), but the "new posts" page showed only the posts made after that new auto-login

Now, in PCF, it works like this:
- There is only one login field, which is _never_ auto filled by the browser, so I have to type my user/pwd every time, even if the browser has my credentials stored
- After some inactivity time, PCF takes me to the login screen, it does not auto-login, and I have to type my credentials again !! (every few minutes, actually)

Any plans to setup the login/sessions management in the say way it was before???

- After some inactivity time, PCF takes me to the login screen, it does not auto-login, and I have to type my credentials again !! (every few minutes, actually)

Any plans to setup the login/sessions management in the say way it was before???

Double check that you didnt forget to tick the "Remember me" checkbox when putting login and password. I also use Firefox and have it set up similarly to you with it deleting cookies, and can leave the computer for several hours without needing to login again - as long as I leave one instance of Firefox running (obviously).

If it still does it, then its something a bit more techy than I know about. :)

Works well for me, jdegre!
Its still vBulletin, and should work the same way. I assume you've already saved password in Firefox and pressed the Remember Me checkbox at forum itself?

Im no tech person. That being said, I have experienced what you are talking about back with old EntropiaForum. Clearing my cache helped then.

How many images are currently in your member album?

I just tried uploading an image to an album with a test account and had no problems.

Anyone else having problems uploading images to their member albums?

Yeah I just tried to upload a pic to my gallery and said I exceeded the space. Also we going to get the button to attach image from the gallery back?

:woot: more emoticons!

Double check that you didnt forget to tick the "Remember me" checkbox when putting login and password. I also use Firefox and have it set up similarly to you with it deleting cookies, and can leave the computer for several hours without needing to login again - as long as I leave one instance of Firefox running (obviously).

If it still does it, then its something a bit more techy than I know about. :)

Works well for me, jdegre!
Its still vBulletin, and should work the same way. I assume you've already saved password in Firefox and pressed the Remember Me checkbox at forum itself?

Im no tech person. That being said, I have experienced what you are talking about back with old EntropiaForum. Clearing my cache helped then.

thanks for the tip guys. i must admit that i did not think on the "remember me" checkbox, since i have always thought this was only meant to set a permanent cookie on your browser, which would be deleted anyway if you have your browser configured to delete all cookies upon exit.

but, unfortunately, it still does not work for me. regarding the login process, this is what i get:
- load PCF page
- empty user/pwd fields, "remember me" unchecked
- i type my username, press "tab" key, and the pwd is auto-filled (not what i wanted, in the old forum both username and pwd were auto-filled, upon page load)
- i check "remember me", and click "login"
- i close the browser, and start it again
- go to step 1 :p

so, when i close my browser, and all cookies are deleted, the "remember me" checkbox is always cleared, and i never get the user/pwd autofilled :(

- There is only one login field, which is _never_ auto filled by the browser, so I have to type my user/pwd every time, even if the browser has my credentials stored

I'm using Opera and it works as it did with EF.

Haven't tried that one yet as I don't need it. However, I suppose once your initial login-problem is fixed, this one works, too.

As far as the cookies are concerned, I use the same feature with Opera. I only had to let it save the cookies once. Since then I let it delete new cookies on exit and I didn't have any problems. Also the collapsed sections in the forum overview are stored.

In other words, it just feels like EF for me.

Haven't tried that one yet as I don't need it. However, I suppose once your initial login-problem is fixed, this one works, too.

i believe there is something that prevents the auto-fill feature to fill the user/pwd automatically in the current login fields.

in EF, as commented before, there were 2 login fields in the main EF page. why?

one of them was auto-filled, but the other one (which was in a similar position as the current one in PCF), was NOT auto-filled either, for some reason.

as you say, i also think that fixing this, would make the other feature to work too.

I have not read the whole thread, so I don't know if this has been mentioned before... but the way the new forum handles user sessions (login, session inactivity time, etc..) is quite different than in EF.

For the record, I use Firefox, I have my user/pwd remembered by the browser, and I have Firefox configured to delete all my cookies when I close the browser.

That's how EF worked for me:
- EF showed two login fields, and one of them had my user/pwd fields auto-filled, so I only had to press "login"
- After some inactivity time, EF never showed the login screen again; instead it made a kind of auto-login (I did not have to re-enter my credentials), but the "new posts" page showed only the posts made after that new auto-login

i'm using Chrome, no probemes with logging in what so ever.... and it does store my passwaord.

thanks for the tip guys. i must admit that i did not think on the "remember me" checkbox, since i have always thought this was only meant to set a permanent cookie on your browser, which would be deleted anyway if you have your browser configured to delete all cookies upon exit.

This is how it works, the "Remember me" option sets a permanent cookie, if you don't check it, vB will only set a session cookie (or you have only session cookies allowed, then a permanent cookie will be "reduced" to a session cookie automatically by the browser by ignoring the specified expiration date if it exceeds the session)

However, a "Session cookie" may survive closing the Tab, as long as the browser window you had it open in is still there - or, in other words: the session is NOT ended by closing the tab, if you re-open the forum in the same window, the session cookie is still there (the session last forever if you don't close the window, but only the tab) - this is standard behaviour and should work like that in all browsers.

(Which poses a potential security problem btw, if you leave the browser window open, someone else may open the forum in a new tab and is still logged in!)

I hope the explanation above was somewhat understandable, if not, let me know. :)

This is how it works, the "Remember me" option sets a permanent cookie, if you don't check it, vB will only set a session cookie.

However, a "Session cookie" may survive closing the Tab, as long as the browser window you had it open in is still there - or, in other words: the session is NOT ended by closing the tab, if you re-open the forum in the same window, the session cookie is still there (the session last forever if you don't close the window, but only the tab) - this is standard behaviour and should work like that in all browsers.

(Which poses a potential security problem btw, if you leave the browser window open, someone else may open the forum in a new tab and is still logged in!)

yeah, that's how i understood it too. however, the problem i have is when i close the whole browser; after restarting it, it does not remember anything (permanent cookies included).

Auto-filling in the username is... an urban myth, if you type the first letter of your username, most browsers will remember what you last entered and suggest those entries in a drop down list - no browser will fill in your username w/o user interaction.

I hope the explanation above was somewhat understandable, if not, let me know. :)

the explanation is pretty understandable, but i have always experienced something different... :D :
if there is only one username/pwd stored for a certain domain, the browser _does_ fill the user/pwd without any user interaction whatsoever. otoh, if you have multiple user/pwd stored, you must input at least a first letter(s) to trigger the drop-down list, and pick the right user, as you said.

in EF, as commented before, there were 2 login fields in the main EF page. why?

one of them was auto-filled, but the other one (which was in a similar position as the current one in PCF), was NOT auto-filled either, for some reason.

I think for me it was the top ones which were filled out and never the bottom ones... :scratch2: It's been a few days, can't remember :silly2:

If we still had the old pages on EF, I'd say comparing the two pages might shed some light on this. Hmm...

I think for me it was the top ones which were filled out and never the bottom ones... :scratch2: It's been a few days, can't remember :silly2:

If we still had the old pages on EF, I'd say comparing the two pages might shed some light on this. Hmm...

you can see old version in waybackmachine.com

for me, the top field was always empty. however there was another field an the middle-right part of the page, labelled "login", which was auto-filled for me, with zero user interaction, and which had the "remember me" checked by default, by the way :)

I just checked the source code of the top fields. The name- and id-attribute are different:

Code:
<input type="text" class="textbox default-value" tabindex="102" name="vb_login_password_hint" id="navbar_password_hint" size="10" value="Password" style="display:none;" />
<input type="password" class="textbox" tabindex="102" name="vb_login_password" id="navbar_password" size="10" />

I haven't coded Firefox, but maybe that's why? Like it e.g. stores the name-attribute and then compares against the id-attribute? :scratch2:

Nah, I use archive.org :silly2:

top-fields:

Code:
<input type="text" class="bginput" style="font-size: 11px" name="vb_login_username" id="navbar_username" size="10" accesskey="u" tabindex="101" value="User Name" onfocus="if (this.value == 'User Name') this.value = '';" />
<input type="password" class="bginput" style="font-size: 11px" name="vb_login_password" id="navbar_password" size="10" tabindex="102" />

right fields:

Code:
<input class="bginput" name="vb_login_username" size="12" type="text" tabindex="577" />
<input class="bginput" name="vb_login_password" size="12" type="password" tabindex="578" />

Do you see the confusing usage of name and id there?

I guess you found a bug in Firefox... :thumbup:

I just checked the source code of the top fields. The name- and id-attribute are different:

Code:
<input type="text" class="textbox default-value" tabindex="102" name="vb_login_password_hint" id="navbar_password_hint" size="10" value="Password" style="display:none;" />
<input type="password" class="textbox" tabindex="102" name="vb_login_password" id="navbar_password" size="10" />

IDs are used to address a document element (via Javascript or a fragment specified in a link), the only value relevant for forms is the name attribute, and if ID and name attribute match or not is not relevant, no matter which browser.

yeah, that's how i understood it too. however, the problem i have is when i close the whole browser; after restarting it, it does not remember anything (permanent cookies included).

Then you have disabled persistent cookies in the browser settings, usually you check the "remember me" and don't have to login ever again (from that computer).

If vB4 works like the old version, you can even have persistent cookies on several computers at the same time and it still works

the explanation is pretty understandable, but i have always experienced something different... :D :
if there is only one username/pwd stored for a certain domain, the browser _does_ fill the user/pwd without any user interaction whatsoever. otoh, if you have multiple user/pwd stored, you must input at least a first letter(s) to trigger the drop-down list, and pick the right user, as you said.

Ah, well, this is some kind of "Password bank" feature, it is (usually) an external software filling in your credentials for your convenience - this is mostly some kind of OS add-on from the computer manufacturer.

For sure not, the login works, doesn't it? They only changed the "name" attribute in the new version and dropped the id - why should this be a bug, moreover a browser specific problem??

Nah, I use archive.org :silly2:

top-fields:

Code:
<input type="text" class="bginput" style="font-size: 11px" name="vb_login_username" id="navbar_username" size="10" accesskey="u" tabindex="101" value="User Name" onfocus="if (this.value == 'User Name') this.value = '';" />
<input type="password" class="bginput" style="font-size: 11px" name="vb_login_password" id="navbar_password" size="10" tabindex="102" />

right fields:

Code:
<input class="bginput" name="vb_login_username" size="12" type="text" tabindex="577" />
<input class="bginput" name="vb_login_password" size="12" type="password" tabindex="578" />

Do you see the confusing usage of name and id there?

not sure what bug you mean...

in my view, the problem seems to be in the code of the top field, which sets a default value for the username field to the text "User Name", and when receiving the focus, it sets it to empty. maybe this behaviour takes precedence over the auto-complete form feature of the browser, and that's why this is never auto-filled with my stored username.

not sure what bug you mean...

in my view, the problem seems to be in the code of the top field, which sets a default value for the username field to the text "User Name", and when receiving the focus, it sets it to empty. maybe this behaviour takes precedence over the auto-complete form feature of the browser, and that's why this is never auto-filled with my stored username.

I think your password bank software is either not configured for the new domain name (i had such things, too, but i always turn stuff like that off, you may have to tell it to remember the password for the new site, too - shouldn't be there a popup dialog or something, asking whether to store the passwords for this "new" page?), or it relies on an ID to fill in the credential properly - but the new vB4 version has no IDs in their login fields.

Why did you disable persistent cookies anyway? :scratch2:

I think your password bank software is either not configured for the new domain name (i had such things, too, but i always turn stuff like that off, you may have to tell it to remember the password for the new site, too - shouldn't be there a popup dialog or something, asking whether to store the passwords for this "new" page?), or it relies on an ID to fill in the credential properly - but the new vB4 version has no IDs in their login fields.

wow, there is something really strange going on here... i browsed the pwd store, and there is an entry for the domain www.planetcalypsoforum.com, but it turns out that the user/pwd stored there is as follows:

Username: "Password"
Password: "............." (my forum password)

so, Firefox stores the string "Password" under user name ???!!!!!! wtf ???

I tried deleting the entry, and storing it again, with same results.

Why did you disable persistent cookies anyway? :scratch2:

I did not disable them, at least voluntarily. When I select the lifetime of the cookies "until i close firefox", it applies the same to both, permanent and session cookies, so all cookies are deleted.

wow, there is something really strange going on here... i browsed the pwd store, and there is an entry for the domain www.planetcalypsoforum.com, but it turns out that the user/pwd stored there is as follows:

Username: "Password"
Password: "............." (my forum password)

so, Firefox stores the string "Password" under user name ???!!!!!! wtf ???

I tried deleting the entry, and storing it again, with same results.

well, looks like it is a bug in vBulletin:

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-6297

I did not disable them, at least voluntarily. When I select the lifetime of the cookies "until i close firefox", it applies the same to both, permanent and session cookies, so all cookies are deleted.

That _is_ "disabled persistent cookies" - Session cookies will be deleted when you close FF anyway (regardless of the settings - that's the nature of Session cookies), so you can either switch ALL cookies off (which won't let you login anymore anyway) or to limit the lifetime of Persisten cookies to the actual browsing session (a.k.a delete them when you close the window).

So, was there a reason why you switched them off? I find it pretty convenient to open the forum and i am still logged in.

IMHO, people disable persistent cookies for some "paranoia reason" only - if you don't want to be tracked by i.e. google ad, it is enough to disable 3rd party cookies (cookies set by site content not belonging to the visited domain and loaded from another server behind the stages) - no idea if you can do that in FF, in IE it is configured that way by default iirc.

I have been busy these days...anyone so kind to enlighten me what i missed in this threat?

Thank you guys...

This is quit anoying, the 'Your Message' form keeps scrolling back up to the center.
Anyone else having this ?

This is quit anoying, the 'Your Message' form keeps scrolling back up to the center.

If you mean when you are composing the message, yeah I am getting it too. Was particulary annoying while I was re-creating my signature (the code is quite long!)

I have a feeling that is just part of vBulletin4, not something that can be adjusted... but let's see what happens.

If you mean when you are composing the message, yeah I am getting it too. Was particulary annoying while I was re-creating my signature (the code is quite long!)

I have a feeling that is just part of vBulletin4, not something that can be adjusted... but let's see what happens.

Yeah, it's obviously a bug - especially annoying if you want to edit some longer text...
but, there is a workaround:

You can adjust the height of the text area with these small buttons on the top right, works fine for me.

Back