French (technical) translation needed!

sahel

Elite
Chris Sahel Silver
Hello,

A friend of mine is restoring an old car, a 1928 Citroen CV10 B14 to be precise.

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

He got his hands on a repair and maintenance manual... all original in 1928 french :laugh:.

Now our french skills arent that bad, but just some things are too technical or old, even to find in dictionaries etc.

Right now he's stuck at one sentence:

"Le moteur lui-même est un 4 cylindres de 70 m/m d'alésage et 100 m/m de course. Sa cylindrée totale est de 1¹,53g."

We translated it partly to:

"The engine itself is a 4 cylinder with 70 m/m ... (drillhole? diameter?) and 100 m/m ... (contour? outline?). The total cylindercontent is 1¹,53g".

It's a longshot but maybe someone can help out?

Thanks,

Sahel

Thats a lovely car u have there, GL in restoring it

i used google translator and got the same as u... :( i googled it to see if there was any English guilds but with now luck, wish i could help more but for now its bumped so hopefuly some one will properly translate it lol

Alesage is the diameteur of the cylender... it mean somhow "hole" in tecnical french.

Course , is the lenght the piston do from the top to the bottom part.Course is the mouvement length , not a size.

as for cylindre is volume , usual in cm3

for any other tecnical you can ask , i am pretty used to those technical book :)

Thats a lovely car u have there, GL in restoring it

i used google translator and got the same as u... :( i googled it to see if there was any English guilds but with now luck, wish i could help more but for now its bumped so hopefuly some one will properly translate it lol

Thanks for the effort anyway :)

Alesage is the diameteur of the cylender... it mean somhow "hole" in tecnical french.

Course , is the lenght the piston do from the top to the bottom part.Course is the mouvement length , not a size.

as for cylindre is volume , usual in cm3

for any other tecnical you can ask , i am pretty used to those technical book :)

Perfect :yay:. We could only have guessed the exact meaning ourselves, your help is much appreaciated.
We are about 1/3 thru the book so if any other question arise i'll certainly will ask here again.

Thanks heaps :)!

french

Hi,

This si answer

"The engine itself is a 4 cylinder with 70 m/m ... (drillhole? diameter?) and 100 m/m ... (contour? outline?). The total cylindercontent is 1¹,53g".

alésage = cylinder bore ( diameter 70mm )
course = power stroke or distance travelled by piston ( lenght 100 mm )

Hope that's help you.

Nice car

Gl

Hi,

This si answer

alésage = cylinder bore ( diameter 70mm )
course = power stroke or distance travelled by piston ( lenght 100 mm )

Hope that's help you.

Nice car

Gl

Thanks also for narrowing it down some more :).
We translated it now from english to dutch again into:
alesage: boring
course: slag

:wtg:

Some days later and pages further in the book, we got stuck at another part of the translation today. Since last time I requested help it was a great success, i'm gonna try EF once more ;):

This is the original french text (note: i didn't type in all the accents)
La boite de vitesses.

Elle est fixee au moteur par son carter.
Elle comporte trois vitesses et une marche AR,
obtenues au moyen de deux baladeurs et d'un train intermediaire.

Les diverses positions des baladeurs sont commandees par le levier du changement de vitesses qui oscille autour de sa rotule et qui s'engage dans la chape des fourchettes.

We translated what we knew to dutch:
De versnellingsbak

Deze is bevestigd aan de motor via de behuizing.
Er zijn drie versnellingen en een achteruit,
welke in te schakelen is door (?) het midden van de (?) en een (?).

De verschillende posities van de (?) worden geregeld door de versnellingspook, welke kan bewegen door middel van een kogelscharnier die verbonden is met (?).

but came to the conslusion we needed some help... so translated it to english :D:
The gearbox.

It's fixed to the engine casing.
It got three speeds and a reverse,
wich you can enable by .... (?) the middle of the (?) and a (?).

The various positions of the (?) are commanded by the gear lever wich can move around by using a ball hinge wich connects to (?).

I can't find the exact technical terms for a couple of words, like 'baladeur' (only find it in the meaning of walkman), 'train intermediaire' and 'chape des fouchettes (something with a fork).

Help would be much appreciated... :)

bumpdiebump

La boite de vitesses.

I wont give you technical translate , but i will explain what it mean.

Elle comporte trois vitesses et une marche AR,
obtenues au moyen de deux baladeurs et d'un train intermediaire.

This mean,the diferent speed , and the reverce , is made with 2 gears that can mouve called baladeur ( baladeur mean that can mouve),and an axle with gear on it, called train intermediaire.
When many gear make eatch other mouve we call that " train d engrenage" wich mean gear train.
Those in the middle , are "intermediaire".

Les diverses positions des baladeurs sont commandees par le levier du changement de vitesses qui oscille autour de sa rotule et qui s'engage dans la chape des fourchettes.

The various positions of the (?) are commanded by the gear lever wich can move around by using a ball hinge wich connects to (?).

Fourchette mean fork , simply because thats how it looks.
Its som kind of fork that go around a gear to comand it and make it mouve left or right on the axle.

This mean the diferent position of the baladeur (mouving gears) ,are commended by the gear lever that mouve around a ball hinge wich is conected to the fork.

Ok, I understand what it means now, we can go on to the next pages :). Thanks a lot again for the quick help... I never thought EF and it's users would be helpfull in so many ways :). EFD donation on the way!

That must be because you unlocked BPC ;)

I see a Renault Clio in the back, is your friend in France?

I wished for my friend that his car looked as good as the one in that pic... ;).
The car in the picture is not the one he ownes, just a pic of the same model I found on internet. It's how it should look after some year of work :D.

"Le moteur lui-même est un 4 cylindres de 70 m/m d'alésage et 100 m/m de course. Sa cylindrée totale est de 1¹,53g."

We translated it partly to:

The technical words you are looking for (I think that you have already guessed the meaning) bore (the diameter of the piston) and stroke (the amount of distance travelled by the piston between top dead centre (TDC) and bottom dead centre (BDC).

[edit: Rats!, just noticed that someone has already said this lol. My query is whether the bore is diameter or radius. I would have said radius because:]

If we convert to CC, we have a swept volume comprising 4 cylinders 7cm in radius and 10cm long. So the volume is 4 * pi * 3.5 * 3.5 * 10 giving 1539CC. This would be written in French as 1,539 litres. I don't understand the g units?

If we convert to CC, we have a swept volume comprising 4 cylinders 7cm in radius and 10cm long. So the volume is 4 * pi * 3.5 * 3.5 * 10 giving 1539CC. This would be written in French as 1,539 litres. I don't understand the g units?

We assumed the "1¹,53g'' is indeed the volume of the cylinder. Why they written it like this I have no clue :D. 1¹ doesn't make any sense to me neither does measuring it in 'g'. Most important is that we understand more or less what they mean thouh ;).

Thanks for the help too!

nice about take care of this old car :)
citroen are cool and strong

Nice oldtimer !

If you have any more questions I'll try to help, I can translate most of it(if not all) directly to dutch :)

Nice oldtimer !

If you have any more questions I'll try to help, I can translate most of it(if not all) directly to dutch :)

Thanks, and thanks for the offer, I might just keep you to it :). Translating from french, to english, to dutch isn't really the fastest way to work... but it gets the job done ;).

Again, thanks all for helping me out here!

Back