Furniture Market

fiona2011

Provider
Society
Circle of Lootius
Fiona Kitten Shamrock
I recently bought another apartment and after moving all of my furniture to the new one I realized I wanted more couches and shelves. Well after a run to the auctioneer and to various shops I cannot find them anymore. I did find one sofa and they are so high priced its highly unaffordable. What has happened to the furniture market? Is there something still missing in the new VU that is keeping those who used to create them from creating them? it's really quite sad now =/

Im not a furniture crafter...but...

The furniture market is likely tiny. Probably mostly due to the fact that furniture does nothing for game play for 99% of the players.

I just had a look at furniture blueprints, looks like everything is limited. So it could be that no one wants to craft pall stools and tt them just to get the rare blueprints. The items dont really look expensive to craft, most of them use common components.

There is an easy way to change this....get rid of rent for apartments, then people would want them, then you would have a LOT more people willing to dump a few peds into decorations. And then you make it worth it for people to craft the stuff.

There are several problems.. First, it was never that popular, so not that many skilled people in it. Second, there is really only 1 decent skilling bp, Latt pedestal. There are very few of these in game at all and buzz might be the only active person with one (although even he doesnt seem to click it any more).

All the bp's for nicer furniture are L and hard to come by if you cant do lots of clicks on a skilling bp to loot them yourself. I tried to do some furniture skilling at one time and when I finally got myself a decent L bp and clicked it (the japanese style table, I forget the name) I couldn't even sell the finished product for tt+20.

Similar problem to the tailoring profession.. Besides Etopia, Starman (if he hasnt sold) Freyr and a few others nobody has the bp's to really do much other than skill.

easier fix, make ul bps for all the furniture. there is alot of furniture i want but the price i see people wanting is just stupidly high. ma really needs to stop making most of the needed wanted bps L.

easier fix, make ul bps for all the furniture. there is alot of furniture i want but the price i see people wanting is just stupidly high. ma really needs to stop making most of the needed wanted bps L.
Ironically, prices are currently lower then ever on most of the stuff! Markup on Tron Towers, L-Quent Sideboard, and other stuff like that is dropping like a rock considering where it was 6 months ago... even on rarer stuff.

Interestingly, I do not feel guilty about TTing some furniture on occassion when I'm low on peds because usually when I do that the stuff I'm buying has higher markup then the stuff I'm TTing by a substantial amount, and I think a lot of others are like that too since it's very difficult to find a buyer and a pain in the wallet when stuff cycles through the auction with no bids...

I do know one guy that was trying to go in to furniture crafting a little while ago, but am not sure if that's what he still crafts or not since I rarely see him online at the same time I'm on nowadays.

Mike zewrac Crosshill - used to hang out at the service center at Omegaton a lot.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/members/zewrac.html

Last edited:
thanks alot for all the replies.....it does seem we can all agree that the market is down cause MA decided to charge more for something that doesn't affect anyones game play it's just to make an apartment livable. But with these high prices no wonder most people use their apartments for just storage anymore...

The problems of the furniture market are many, as Centech said its quite difficult to skill it up, which I will attest to any time.

Also even though with CE2 stuff looks so much better, it became much more difficult to compose a well looking apartment.
Not only does the look greatly differ when changing graphics options, but also if you set all settings to max and everything looks as purty as it can, you notice easily how either colours or textures of the one item clashes with another one.

Placing stuff exactly as one wants is an interface nightmare.

Besides it being a difficult profession to get into there is such low demand that its a completely unattractive market, best time to buy things that were high priced in the past... if you can find a desperate seller ;)

1. The market is very narrow related to furniture. Only few players out of the total own an appartment (or shop) *and* actively add furniture to it. Very few traders are involved in this market also.

2. The market is also very narrow because there are not so many appartments.

3. Not all players can afford a fancy of 2, 3, 4 appartments...
The Mindark fee of 10 peds per month per appartment is also something opened to discussion...

4. As mentioned by other players, L blueprints drop seldom, so they have a high markup... which is hard to cover by slow sales.... or no sales...
As well, since few or no players like to play jackpot with furniture blueprints anymore (there were -yes- fans of this activity some two years ago, the Nalo lamp had good days), the L blueprints are indeed rare.

5. I disagree on the skills: you can buy carpenter etc skills at the auction for 5000%-8000%, it's nothing outrageous (to skill up manually is pretty hard, so). Reaching level 12-15 is not so hard if skills are purchased.

6. If you need specific furniture, ask in the "buying" forum, I am sure you'll get stuff this way. Any ingame trader or old enough player has furniture in his storage box. As far as I am concerned, I have paintings, a space toy, books, vase, etc that I don't bother selling, I guess at some point in time I'll make a thread in this forum related to these items

Ask Axxx Hxxxxxr Oxxx at EF ...

Ya, prices are coming down with furniture but one of the problems not yet mentioned, re-sellers bidding up other bidders. I can't tell you how many times I've paid extra mu that I wouldn't have had to pay if they don't spend 24/7 staring at auctions and bidding on every last item on the ah. :/

You can still find good deals on furniture, you just have to be willing to spend the time and play the auction house the same as you would any other profession, with strategy and planning.

Last edited:
Well hopefully things change once they reintroduce space shuttles and get the game to where it was before the new VU. Then maybe things will change aroun and seem slightly more normal.......

KyrismaStarsong: That prick has probably cost me 300-500 ped or more in extra mu that I wouldn't have had to pay if he doesn't spend 24/7 staring
You're already getting regurlarly neg rep from players, why continuing to trash the forum?

Besides:

1. I don't see any 24/7 trader stupid enough to overbid on furniture for the fun of it - that sounds plain ridiculous; furniture is a pain to sell unless you're really familiar with that market. By the way, there is only one 24/7 trader at the moment, that leaves few possibilities for identification.

2. I don't mind markup on furniture. Crafters need it to continue crafting, and as you can guess with the current 101% economy, crafters don't thrive that much.

3. In general, in the auction, there are all kinds of people overbidding you, if you can handle it, just don't buy anything there, buy in shops (good luck!)

You're already getting regurlarly neg rep from players, why continuing to trash the forum?

Besides:

1. I don't see any 24/7 trader stupid enough to overbid on furniture for the fun of it - that sounds plain ridiculous; furniture is a pain to sell unless you're really familiar with that market. By the way, there is only one 24/7 trader at the moment, that leaves few possibilities for identification.

2. I don't mind markup on furniture. Crafters need it to continue crafting, and as you can guess with the current 101% economy, crafters don't thrive that much.

3. In general, in the auction, there are all kinds of people overbidding you, if you can handle it, just don't buy anything there, buy in shops (good luck!)

well there is 2 problems to furniture shopping at the physical shops.
first, people not paying their rent. i forgot which mall it was but the last time i went in a mall half the shops had not paid the rent.

second is if you can even find furniture to buy. i don't know times how many times ive gone into mall furniture shops and found the furniture wasn't for sale, i even found this with buzz's old furniture shops. i don't know if the stuff i was wanting to buy they just were not selling or if they forgot to set it to buy able.

hi,

i've got some furniture that I'm getting rid of, inc shelves - some in my shop in pa mall and teh rest is in storage, if you want to meet up i can digg out the stuff in storage for you to take a look at.

spod

I put a golden woman statue in the front window of my shop for sale... It's actually cheaper then I bought it for. I might put more furniture out there in the near future if I don't end up TTing it first.

well there is 2 problems to furniture shopping at the physical shops.
first, people not paying their rent. i forgot which mall it was but the last time i went in a mall half the shops had not paid the rent.
If you are talking about Emerald Lakes, the owner purposefully never sold the top floor shops for the silly reason that he thought the prices would go up over time... official reason given is something about saving them for some sort of "special occasion" but that never came - so I think it was just a lame excuse to hang on to them...

second is if you can even find furniture to buy. i don't know times how many times ive gone into mall furniture shops and found the furniture wasn't for sale, i even found this with buzz's old furniture shops. i don't know if the stuff i was wanting to buy they just were not selling or if they forgot to set it to buy able.
A lot of shelves and stuff are regularly used by shop owners to put the real stuff they are selling on. It is possible to sell it all, but a lot of people don't want to sell off the furniture they actually like, used, or special designed with coloring/texturing,e tc.

second is if you can even find furniture to buy. i don't know times how many times ive gone into mall furniture shops and found the furniture wasn't for sale
lol... some shops are looking very good, it's true. I seldom buy items in the shops, but I am often happy to discover items on display that I never heard of.

Something worth adding: Some furniture items are rare, some 10-20+ ingame, so these keep their markup. I have stuff in mind like the lovely Mars Globe (min. +200 peds markup I guess) or some plants.

That prick has probably cost me 300-500 ped or more in extra mu that I wouldn't have had to pay if he doesn't spend 24/7 staring at auctions and bidding everybody up. :/
He's cost me a bundle too... Usually I just let him overbid on stuff and have it. Him and about 3 other avatars seem to hog that market niche a lot, sort of like a little monopoly. I suspect second avatars may be in play there, but there's no way of knowing for sure - and MA won't do anything about it, so why even bother sending a support ticket or anything...

If there's no buyout at a descent price, I rarely even place a bid nowadays in that part of the auction.

I think he runs a shop in one of the malls, or used to or something... his name is usually on about 50% of the things in the auction's decoration and furniture sections, so yes, I think he's a reseller making prices go up so he can profit, but maybe I'm only seeing part of the story there.

I won't say any names, but on the opposite end of the spectrum, in other parts of the auction, there are some avatars that are nice enough on auction that I used to have suspicions that the avatars were really MA employee's avatars handing out stuff for free, using the auction as an alternate way to loot stuff for those that don't regularly hunt, mine or craft (no markup as start bid)... lol ;)

Last edited:
Find buzz lightyear he is probably the number one furniture crafter

As usual it is a question of supply and demand.
There are not many people who have an apartment and decorate it, so not many people get inte crafting furniture. That means that the few people who can craft furniture do not craft very much in order to keep the prices up. The best way to increase the amount of furniture available is to get into crafting yourself...if you can afford it. You will probably find it cheaper to pay the high prices instead.

Back