FYI VR is next month

Venture Bros

Elite
Banned
Society
Death Lords
Thaddeus Rusty Venture
The big cotent update was probobly for VR integration.

https://www.vinnova.se/p/utveckling-av-en-social-vr-upplevelse--kompatibel-med-en-mobil-enhet/

MA got a grant from the government and promised to release VR content into Entropia Universe at the end of the timeline. That timeline ends in April. VR next month!

At the end of the project, we will have a functional integration of Social-VR in Entropia Universe Platform, available for desktop and mobile applications. This means that in the game offer we can create significantly more vibrant and captivating experiences.

Purpose and goal

"MindArk, pioneers in the field of Virtual Worlds now intend to develop their technical platform to support applications for social VR. The primary purpose is to integrate this support into the existing platform for existing customers. The secondary purpose is to broaden the technology to work with new industries where social VR is demanded, such as: meetings, lectures, conferences, education, concerts and experiences. The goal is to integrate support into Entropia Universe Platform for Social VR, based on a commercial thin mobile client.
Expected results and effects

At the end of the project, we will have a functional integration of Social-VR in Entropia Universe Platform, available for desktop and mobile applications. This means that in the game offer we can create significantly more vibrant and captivating experiences. For the B2B offer, it means that we have a fully developed virtual world available mobile and stationary, as demanded by companies for creating services in areas such as: meetings, lectures, conferences, education, concerts and experiences.
Planned approach and implementation

The project will start in May 2017 and end in April 2018. The project will be based primarily in Gothenburg at MindArk's office. We will also engage a subcontractor as we have long experience working in the field of mobile gaming development. We will largely build on the existing Entropia Universe Platform architecture. This means that we will build an integration with this on the server side, as well as create a new client that will be mobile."

Thanks for showing us :)

Deep... ?...

As much as I'd like to see VR in EU, I cant see this happening in the next few weeks, let alone years.

Think that's still a long way off.

Well it's april 2018 a one year april fools joke. More like it. I'm astonished a swedish government would fall for their marketing bs.

They invested 1,8M SEK = about 218 084 USD

Interesting.

Doing a bit of looking around I see MA did release this in October:

GOTHENBURG, SWEDEN – Oct. 9, 2017 - Conference calls with colleagues from around the world are about to get a whole lot more exciting thanks to the latest technology from Swedish videogame developer MindArk. Businesses will soon be able to conduct virtual “avatar meetings,” allowing users to meet “face-to-face” in an interactive digital world.

Coming in December 2017 to PC and Mac via HTC Vive and Oculus Rift headsets, and to mobile via Samsung Gear VR and Google Daydream, this virtual reality platform uses 3D positional voice technology, lip-syncing and fully-tracked head and hand movements to aid avatar expression. A trial version is available now for interested customers.

“MindArk has more than a decade of experience developing and refining virtual worlds and bringing people together from around the globe, and we’re using our deep knowledge of common digital spaces to take the first step toward the future of global corporate communication,” said Klas Moreau, CEO, MindArk. “Our technology is now becoming mature enough to allow more users to step into these virtual spaces together, with a number of intriguing applications now possible by using our platform.”

With MindArk’s new virtual reality meeting space, companies can “meet” with colleagues around the globe for everyday business issues, or use modeling and interactive slides for a new level of immersive presentation to users around the world. Participants will be able to do much more than just virtually meet. From pitching and touring digitally-rendered buildings to conducting international symposiums with attendees from all over the world seemingly gathered in one place, MindArk’s new platform offers vast potential for making meetings more productive and engaging.

Customizable options for MindArk’s virtual reality meeting space include:
  • Free ‘template’ rooms, with premium plans allowing customization of 3D models and assets as needed;
  • Persistent room states, allowing users to return to a room just as they left it to continue
    their meeting;
  • Google Drive integration enabling in-world document access.

Well MAs motto seems to be:

Overpromise
Underdeliver
Never on time

So.. we'll see

MA got a grant from the government and promised to release VR content into Entropia Universe at the end of the timeline. That timeline ends in April. VR next month!

L O L......
When have they ever meet a deadline

Well MAs motto seems to be:

Overpromise
Underdeliver
Never on time

So.. we'll see

Forgot a couple of things

Next day patch
Next year patch to fix what the first patch missed.
Lastly: Player adaption to the things that just don't seem to get fixed.......ever.

Believe me when I say I wish we never had posts like this one and the one I quoted. I would much, MUCH rather have a consistence stream of praise of the innovation and great game play we all enjoy.

:popcorn:

This will be fun.

200k funding...Remember the 2 million that went into Conpet and how this turned out?

Will be interesting to see what graphics engine they use for this. the current engine is way to low res for VR, if they have used a newer Cryengine or Unreal then we might see the direct EU heads in the future. it states mobile and i think this engine wont be great on mobiles

i do wonder if VR will come fully to EU tho, doubt people would use it

Will be interesting to see what graphics engine they use for this. the current engine is way to low res for VR, if they have used a newer Cryengine or Unreal then we might see the direct EU heads in the future. it states mobile and i think this engine wont be great on mobiles

i do wonder if VR will come fully to EU tho, doubt people would use it

Let's be surprised ..... If it's worth it, and the required hardware is not too expensive, I would very well imagine using it. :wtg:

Let's be surprised ..... If it's worth it, and the required hardware is not too expensive, I would very well imagine using it. :wtg:

Indeed VR in Entropia is great (conceptually*) with third party software. The best thing is how BIG everything is.

Still. That grant is pretty hands down on deliverables and I can't see much wiggle room for interpretation. That said though, looking at the money available... I'd put that as buying at most 1 senior developer and 3 standard developers for a year to work on this (massive) overhaul to the Entropia platform.

Unless MA are sitting on a hell of a lot of as-yet unreleased work there is no way they are ready for VR on the Entropia platform.

Step one would have been to greatly improve the stability of performance in the game which allegedly they have made some progress with but then there is the DX9 issue, the CE2 issue, the "not on mobile issue", the not on Steam issue, the UI isn't remotely suitable for VR issue (too small/not suiting joypads or controllers), so on and so forth.

As far as I can see (not far when it comes to the murky view into the world of MA) Really this is so far off still as the horizon. It is ON the horizon but you need to squint to see it.

Wistrel

PS what "might" be possible is a "from scratch for mobile" different engine based game that has hooks into Entropia's main infrastructure. It certainly wouldn't be cryengine2. That said though I mean look at the menu based Virtual Tycoon? While it did work it was certainly a tad on the ropey/buggy side and that was only a menu based interface. (the less said about compets the better)

* There are key issues with CryEngine and VR that affect performance and make for, at best, a "demo" experience that probably can't be tolerated (nausea etc) for two long.

mehhhh,

this isn't about VR in entropia...

This is about one conference room where two or more people can hang out and have a private chat.

One conference room (instance) it doesn't even need a door or anything. Or a window.

The crysis engine can run a VR headset right?

Zero effort set up and then the $250k is to build the mobile app that can interface with the instance in a reasonable fashion.

Awesome if they can do it since it will only lead to cries for a mobile EU viewer even interactive client.

In all though, no impact to EU for this side contract.

As others already said, it's not related to Entropia. That project was started in May 2017, but this is what they said in an interview to MMORPG.COM in December:

MMORPG: How does VR fit into the picture?

MindArk: MindArk has supported the virtual reality platform for many years and recently developed virtual meeting spaces technology for businesses. Right now, we are focusing our VR efforts on non-gaming applications, but could later see this technology for our gaming products, including Entropia Universe.

I see a lot of complaning on the forum about swedes getting all the good stuff and things like that.
But I find it really cool for the Swedish government to come up with a nice pay back scheme.
Paid for by the brave Swedish taxpayers.

So lets all thank the Swedes for this grateful donation!

Thanks!!

:silly2:

I will be interested to see how this system works and learn more about it.

If it brings more people into the universe then this is a good thing

So it turned out to be location-based AR mining game similar to Pokemon Go. Might be good if it ever gets finished.

I see a lot of complaning on the forum about swedes getting all the good stuff and things like that.
But I find it really cool for the Swedish government to come up with a nice pay back scheme.
Paid for by the brave Swedish taxpayers.

So lets all thank the Swedes for this grateful donation!

Thanks!!

:silly2:

IN the Netherlands it would be considered "staatssteun".

hell no, fuck everything relating to graphics, it's A WORTHLESS WASTE OF TIME that could be spent on improving the gameplay, making promised content and fixing bugs which is infinitely more important. and vr is just another part of graphics

So it turned out to be location-based AR mining game similar to Pokemon Go. Might be good if it ever gets finished.

that would be the one way they could make compet more interesting, but of course now they missed the timing to do that hard, once again

hell no, fuck everything relating to graphics, it's A WORTHLESS WASTE OF TIME that could be spent on improving the gameplay, making promised content and fixing bugs which is infinitely more important. and vr is just another part of graphics

Hell no!!
I want more cool graphics!
I want my avatar to look even hotter than it does now!
Hell, I even want to able to touch her! :tongue2:

Graphics are important too :)

With all that virtual reality meet face to face talking i'd like to make myself look different than <20 year old teenager.

Pwi from 2005 supported a broad selection of options to make you look more mature but that was all scraped with a charakter creation overhaul. This barbie 2018 studio charakter creation is the very oposite of self expression and immersion or self identification with your avatar wich should not be ignored from a company that claim to foster virtual reality and virtual meetings. Im pretty sure every 70's year old CEO will enjoy to look like a 17 year old smooth skin with anime hairstyle :rolleyes:

Graphics are important too :)

With all that virtual reality meet face to face talking i'd like to make myself look different than <20 year old teenager.

Pwi from 2005 supported a broad selection of options to make you look more mature but that was all scraped with a charakter creation overhaul. This barbie 2018 studio charakter creation is the very oposite of self expression and immersion or self identification with your avatar wich should not be ignored from a company that claim to foster virtual reality and virtual meetings. Im pretty sure every 70's year old CEO will enjoy to look like a 17 year old smooth skin with anime hairstyle :rolleyes:

My character looks 70, you need more practice with the character creator or to hire a face sculptor.

Back