Help: gameing laptop ( i was burgled)

T3h_plonker

Elite
Society
Supremacy Reign HQ
plonker t3h plonker woot
as sum of you know i was burgled during a world cup game when i was down at the pub:

so now i need a new laptop because the bastards took it.

my buget is not to go over 900 euros ish

what i was thinking of getting was allienware's M11x gameing notebook
alienware_m11x_300_white.jpg

the one with the i5 processor ( all are over clockable)

i need it for gameing obviusly but also for university that's why i thaught of this one. plus it looks cool

the important specs :

Intel® Core™ i5 520UM 1.06GHz (3MB Cache)
1GB Nvidia Geforce GT 335M
250GB SATA 7,200RPM
2GB DDR3 800MHz RAM
11.6" (29 cm) WideHD 1366x768 (720p) LCD
it has hdmi so i can make it do 1080p on a monitor

only thing putting me off is the size of the screen and the fact you can get some glare back because it's quite shiny. but i might get a HD monitor because i can get one back in the uk for like 80 quid

so i need sugestions of other laptops in that price range that will game but are also portable.
thaught if you have any desctop replacement laptops in mind that are just too good to miss i'll take a look at that aswell :D

edit: i wont buy anything with a ATI graphics card in it.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your loss -if I caught them i'd axe their theiving hands off -word!

If you're into Alienware I would recommend M15x instead of the M11x, the little one has a screen that is too small (imho).

I just love my M15x.

Ciobyna
"CPU: i7-820QM 1.73Ghz, RAM 4GB, HDD: 500GB, nVidia GeForce GTX 260M 1GB"

m15x sounds better on paper but it's alot more expencive and alot of the reviews i read said the build quality was sadly lacking on that model ( alot of people having thr back snap on them when it heats up)

thanks i'll defo register my new pc when i get it on there. i dont have the info for my last one

thanks but i think 1500$ is more than 900 euros , also ATI , ewwww :S

I recomend the Asus G51jx (the full HD version) or the Sony Vaio VPCF12Z1E/BI

why don't you wait until you can afford a better computer?

Laptops are much more expensive than desktops for gaming.
And desktops are much harder to run out the door with ;)

thanks but i think 1500$ is more than 900 euros

900 euro = 1143USD atm

But if you add a backstrap for the computer and screen, and holsters for the mouse and keyboard so ya can attach them to yer belt and legs, and tie the speaker cables together and hang them around your neck... :D

Had similar problem like you ~month ago, old laptop went kaboom...

So, after searching around desided to go with:

Fujitsu NH570-NG2

Intel Core i3 330M / 2.13 GHz
1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
500GB SATA
4 GB DDR3 800MHz RAM
18.4" TFT 1680 x 945 - BrilliantView

999€

Seems to run Entropia quite well, and im happy with it in other use too, got to love that bigger monitor ;)

i am sorry to hear that you lost your computer.

lets hope you can get a new one and better one soon mate :)

Alienware is too expensive for what you can get. yes I looked into them before I got my new system as well and found them nearly 500 dollars more then everyone else for very smilar machines.

Besdies they are handled by Dell now and thats not impressive.

Check out places like Ibuypower.com or cyberpower.com or even newegg...(not to keen on newegg myself as cheap prices are not the only factor to look at)

I got my beast from Ibuypower and I am really happy with it so far..yes I paid a little extra to have it custoom built but it is more then what I will ever need for a long long time not to mention it still has room to grow.

Best yet it had decent warranties till I decided to mod it with the liquid cooling system so that is another factor to look at when buying a new rig.

I recomend the Asus G51jx (the full HD version) or the Sony Vaio VPCF12Z1E/BI

why don't you wait until you can afford a better computer?

something to do with the fact i dont have a computer and i need one now so i cant wait ...

Laptops are much more expensive than desktops for gaming.

ORLY ?

yeh... the door to my room was locked and they still crowbared it open. i doubt a 5mm thick steel cable will but them off

my other housemate had put his pc under his bed as his room lacks space and he didn't have it nicked so i think i'll go with the cheep hide under the bed option

thanks zap that's pretty mutch the same as what i was looking at but with a bigger screen :D

Check out places like Ibuypower.com or cyberpower.com .

1279101778129.jpg

Last edited:
To be honest, I would buy this one with the i7 CPU, fullHD screen and maybe more HDD. Clevo notebooks are awesome, don't pay 10% more for an alienware...please.

Ask me anything you want =)

Last edited:
Damn Plonk, sorry to hear about that. I hate thieves!:mad:

I hope ya get yourself a shiny new machine even better than the last one!

I don't have any recommnedations for you, but I can tell you that my machine is a Cyberpower build that I was going to build myself but they were offering almost the same machine for about $100 more so I went with thme in order to get the warranty. I was not impressed with the quality of thier work. When I recieved it the CPU cooler was not properly installed and it took me several hours to figure out why it kept shutting itself down. Tech support was useless and just wanted me to send it back. Anyway, within 3 months I had almost completely rebuilt the machine. It works like a champ now and I still use it as my main gaming rig, but I dont think I would buy from them again. IBUYPOWER Looks like it is the same company? Someone correct me if Im wrong here but I think they are the same just different labels?

Well, whatever you go with, good luck and I hope ya catch the bastard that did it!

Blackjack :cowboy:

glaring laptop monitors is the worst thing ever. try get one that isnt shiny.

Damn Plonk, sorry to hear about that. I hate thieves!:mad:

I hope ya get yourself a shiny new machine even better than the last one!

I don't have any recommnedations for you, but I can tell you that my machine is a Cyberpower build that I was going to build myself but they were offering almost the same machine for about $100 more so I went with thme in order to get the warranty. I was not impressed with the quality of thier work. When I recieved it the CPU cooler was not properly installed and it took me several hours to figure out why it kept shutting itself down. Tech support was useless and just wanted me to send it back. Anyway, within 3 months I had almost completely rebuilt the machine. It works like a champ now and I still use it as my main gaming rig, but I dont think I would buy from them again. IBUYPOWER Looks like it is the same company? Someone correct me if Im wrong here but I think they are the same just different labels?

Well, whatever you go with, good luck and I hope ya catch the bastard that did it!

Blackjack :cowboy:

eek ! that sucks. well i hope i dont have the same customer service crap to deal with.
i mean building it yourself is the way to go but unfortunatly laptops are still only made by manufacturers ( pretty lame imo)

did my best for the police to catch them , as some know i have a small degree (BTEC) in forensic science and did it at uni too so when i called the police i made shure they swept the place thurughly. they even forgot shit on their report i added. but as the pigs and i reacon it's propabely oppertunistic drug users looking to make a quick buck. lol the idiots missed the cash i had on the desk and left the power cord for the laptop ( and the battery was fucked on it). also a amplifier worth more than the laptop and less heavy( i like having good audio).

anyway all i can say, and this is for all the students living in shared accomodation:
is make shure you have inshurence!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your loss -if I caught them i'd axe their theiving hands off -word!

nah no dismembering. i say we remove their eyelids and maby cut the sphincter muscles. that way it's diapers for life and eyedrops. afterall there's still chicks out there that will go for the captain hook/ i was in vietnam look ;)

glaring laptop monitors is the worst thing ever. try get one that isnt shiny.

i was thinking that too but then i occured to me that i dont make a habbit of going outside with my pc. usualy because i'm drunk but that's besides the point i guess. anyway sunlight gives vitamin D ewwwww ( reminds me of codliver oil)

Last edited:
good to see ya online buddy. i dont have any help for ya other then call them thieves wankers or something and do a :scratch2:why did they leave the good stuff look.

Shame about the old laptop Mr. Plonker - I thought I'd pipe in as I have an M11x myself.

Reason I bought the M11x was because it was the most powerful laptop you could get in that size package - i.e. ultra portable. It still is to my knowledge, and that's it's niché. I'm very pleased with mine (mine's the core2 duo version, which by the way, is actually faster than the i5 when overclocked, and runs slightly cooler and quieter as I'm informed).

I would probably recommend going for the Core2 Duo version, as you can get some great deals on them, and they're not that much slower at all, nor do they last much less (if any) time on batteries. That way you can give it 4GB of RAM, which I've found it needs for about the same as you'd be paying for a 2GB i5 model.

However, if you're not bothered about it being small and very portable, I think you'd be wasting your money. It's a great laptop for it's size, but you'll quickly get tired of the small keys and trackpad, even though they are some of the best I've tried on a laptop this size.

If you want something bigger, there's plenty of choice in the price range you specified of i5 powered laptops in 15" form that come standard with 4GB, and they have the NVidia 330M graphics or better. With the M11x, you really are paying for the form factor and the name. I'd totally recommend it if the form factor does appeal though, as this little thing is one of the best laptops I've ever owned (and I've owned plenty).

hmmmm man i need to pay more attention to cpu stuff i just assumed that the i5 would outperform the core 2

can anyone els confirm what noggin is saying ?

good to see ya online buddy. i dont have any help for ya other then call them thieves wankers or something and do a :scratch2:why did they leave the good stuff look.
yeh guess the mind doesn't work to well when your clucking for skag

Plonker, I hope your luck turns around man.

As for that Asus that was linked earlier (the $1500 one), there is a less expensive version of that same machine, just a lower resolution screen - it is about $1200. That is a little under 950 euros. It is the G73JH-RBBX05.

A couple good sites for you:

forum.notebookreview.com
www.xoticpc.com

The first one has a huge and very helpful community of laptop fanatics and the second one has a great laptop selection.

Last edited:
I got an M17x a couple months ago. Totally worth it.

I stumbled across an article here:

http://www.netbookchoice.com/2010/0...ore-i5-i7-models-benched-against-old-version/

This seems to confirm that the core2 version is actually a bit faster than the i5 when overclocked, but of course you can overclock the i5 too. For most games, I've found that the stock clockspeed of my SU7300 equipped version doesn't make a lot of difference to the framerates when compared to overclocked, either.

Note that the benched processor on this site is the lower-powered SU4100 Core2 too, which has about a 5-15% speed difference (depending on app). Confusing no?

In any case, all I'm saying is that there's not much difference between the two - the i5 isn't a great deal faster. 4GB+ of RAM, however, I think will make a difference to you.

The Asus infius pointed out looks nice though!

damn that sux man.

I run an Asus Notebook G60vx Series
  • Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7450 @ 2.13 GHz
  • 4G ram
  • 64-bit op system
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 260M

Takes anything i throw @ it.
love this lappy

around 900-1.1k usd depending where u go and the warranty u get.

nice spect but i should have mentioned i wont touch asus with a barge pole after what my bro whent threw. in 4 months he was on his 10th laptop from them(faulty components every time). and when the guarrenty whent the power cord thing on the mobo whent. also apple is evil so...

but thanks for the sugestion none the less ^^

can you change the ram on the M11x noggin ?

If by that you mean can you do it yourself, then yes, but you'd have to throw away the RAM it comes with (2 x 1GB in basic spec). So in that case it's just cheaper to buy one with more RAM in the first place. I'd recommend 4GB, just because 6/8GB is overpriced and it's unlikely you'd ever make the most of it gaming and doing normal office stuff.

whent for the m11x with 4gb ram and i5 processor

verry high settings all arround at swamp camp gets me 30 fps :) and the new arias with foliage same

Last edited:
nice spect but i should have mentioned i wont touch asus with a barge pole after what my bro whent threw. in 4 months he was on his 10th laptop from them(faulty components every time). and when the guarrenty whent the power cord thing on the mobo whent. also apple is evil so...

but thanks for the sugestion none the less ^^

can you change the ram on the M11x noggin ?

Asus is the Devil, ive bought laptops from them that ended up havin comp diffrent hardware in it then the said lol

Back