General hunting advice for returning player

PCook73

Hatchling
After quite a long break I have come back to EU. I used to enjoy hunting and would quite like to get back into it.

There have been so many changes I can barely control my avatar :geek:.

I used an M2875/A3-Justifier Mk2 to hunt with, but from what I've read it's better not to use a gun unless I have maxed it out skillwise(?). At present, I don't have much in the way of gear, but am happy to invest to get back into the game.

I have just shy of 200k total skills, in terms of professional standing am around level 44 (laser dmg) and 48 (laser sniper hit). My main aim is to skill to level 60+ while attempting to maintain a reasonably balanced return. Although from what I've read in some of the logs here, unless you know what you're doing (which I do not), hunting can be quite unforgiving to the bottom line.

Any advice on things like which weapons and armour to use, which creatures to hunt, or any other advice to help me to slowly get back into the game would be much appreciated!​

Just use a Armatrix series gun with the highest lever you can max and lowest MU. When I didn’t have a UL gun I bought bc60-65 or bp even if I can use much larger. The higher ones have a lot more markup. Also fit a BP20 extender to it to lower decay if markup is higher than extender MU.

for armor I use Jarhead (small armor) for everything. In your level range I would just use something between adj pixie and jarhead to avoid hunting above your lvl dps/damage wise.

always chasing inputting less markup and looting more :)

if you plan to hunt a bit just buy a UL SIB gun since they are affordable in that level range. If you are going to grind like a rabbit (or evey/isfin++) grab a 2.0 gun with high dpp/efficiency.

Look out for unlimited SIB weapons you max out.
If you don't play much, then the (L) guns may do their job, too.
It is a sample calculation, when (UL) beats (L) for you.

There is a NPC mission in Ithaca to upgrade your gun into a SIB weapon.

A while ago game mechanics on weapons and looting have changed immensly.
Read and UNDERSTAND this, before you chip in:

Buy boxes, every day, as much as you can shoot... sell everything that has a markup on the boxes, and everything from the loot, even the shrapnel.
Withdraw your money at the end of the month, but keep playing the same way.
After the third month, you will have the opportunity to stop with your deposit and play for free or gradually increase your bankroll in the same way until you decide its enoughth.

With this method you start your hunting run over 100%, so it is a winning model. Everything else depends on your ambition and greed. Most players lose out on greed for more.

Everything else comes with practice and time.

One example of the above is Barbarella with 50 daily boxes, the equivalent of 4-5 hours of play.

Shoot what is fun for you and what you can afford. Most players don't turn a profit regardless of what profession they are choosing, but if you are enjoying yourself for the amount of money you are spending, you are getting your money's worth. This is a game, not a job. Treat it like a game and you will have alot more fun playing it. Treat it like a job and you will probably start hating it. It is as expensive as you choose for it to be. You can hunt puny's and other small mobs with the TT pistol all day and if you are having fun, that's what matters. Realistically, the TT pistol could handle up to 60-100hp mobs with some light armor, and it has decent efficiency with the Zinkadus amp you can get from the store in the Gold pack. People say to hunt for mu. I recommend hunting for fun. Alot of the mu mobs are really high hp with high volatility, or on planets other than Calypso where disposing of your loot is much harder. However, if you fall in love with one of the other planets, by all means enjoy your stay there. I'm partial to Monria myself when I leave Calypso, everyone has a preference. If you are planning on some serious ped turnover, I recommend that you buy an UL SIB weapon, can be your preference Laser/Pistol/Melee/Mindforce. Avoid paying mu to other players at all costs whenever possible. With an UL SIB weapon and an UL amp, you will pay no everlasting MU, only what you initially paid for the weapon/amp. Mindforce amp options are much more expensive, but the attack chips are generally much cheaper. (You can hunt unamped). If partial to guns, try for something with a low tier. Using enhancers at the current markup rate is not worth it in my opinion so weapon tier is irrelevant. And remember you can buy unlimited supplies of the TT pistol or other TT weapons, so that's like having an UL gun.

To summarize:

1. Hunt with as little or no markup as possible. Start with the TT weapons then decide what your budget allows for buying an UL weapon and possibly an UL amp to go with it (recommended for most weapon choices except for mindforce where the cost of an UL amp is generally not worth the price, 17000 ped or more for the Mayhem Kinetic ones, versus say 1100 for Dante or 200-600 for alot of the a101-105 amp series).

2. Ghost armor with 5b plates will allow you to hunt a wide range of mobs into the 1500hp range if desired. This armor option costs close to 700ped+ including markup and another 500 or so for the plates. Adjusted Pixie or similar is much cheaper and allows for hunting small mobs usually 50-300hp range.

3. I use UL bioregen chip 5, there are a ton of low healing options, mindforce or fap, with reasonable prices and low markup. Usually you don't want to hunt things that require alot of healing, as it hurts your dpp.

4. During Mayhem events, there is alot of markup to be acquired (tokens/boxes), but the downside is that you have to hold that markup for potentially years until you get a rare token or two and enough tokens to get a Mayhem weapon/amp. This can involve over a $10,000 investment in simply hoarding the tokens for years. If you aren't able or willing to do this, then alot of the Mayhem mu will sit in your bank with only a potential value, or you will have to sell the tokens in pill form and get 50% or less of what you could if you traded them in for a weapon. Mayhem weapons and amps prices may also change in the future, making mayhem markup less profitable for everyone. This remains to be seen, just know you are taking a risk whenever you hold markup for a long period of time. Anything can happen, including the value of the items going down or up considerably.

5. My skill levels are similar to yours, I hunted quite a bit before Halloween Mayhem and thru Christmas Mayhem. I stopped after Christmas Mayhem because my returns were hovering in the 92-94% range, with around 60 efficiency UL Mindforce chip and Looter lv close to 40. Even though on paper I turned a profit during the Mayhem hunts, I lost a considerable amount during the other sessions, hunting a ton of Maffoids (to rank 25 codex), Feffoids, some Thorifoid Berserkers. I was aiming for Tier Component markup, but found that even with the high mu rates of these, I was usually only looting around 1-3% of my TT input in markup (as in, for every 1000 ped cycled, I was getting around 10-30 ped in markup). So I was still losing a considerable amount hunting mobs that were right at my level, in terms of my dps (40-60 dps) and armor. The more I cycled, simply put, the more it cost me. It stopped being fun, so I stopped doing it. At some point, I will hunt again seeking only to have fun, not looking to profit. Trying to profit sucked the enjoyment of the game right out of me, which is why I recommend that you prioritize having fun and don't expect to make any money doing it. Remember, if no one buys anything that costs markup, no one will ever profit from this game. So if you never buy anything with markup (or very minimal, like UL purchases and maybe a L healing tool,) then you are already winning the hardest battle, which is against other players.

6. I found hunting for Codex, starting with the smallest monsters, to be enjoyable and a fun goal-oriented endeavour which had a reasonable cost as the monsters have low hp. When I return to hunting, this is most likely what I will continue to do, I was about to start on the Daikiba as I had almost finished most of the smaller Codex on Calypso. You can save up the rewards until you want to skill up something in one big chunk, like maybe a Melee or Mindforce weapon. I used to use Codex for Looter lv gains (Anatomy, Perception, Analysis), but after about lv 30 looter the gains were so minimal that I've started saving them up for when I choose to skill a melee weapon. Hope some of this advice helps you, and that you enjoy your stay in this universe.

7. https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/noob-guide.285943/#post-3801340 Tilli's advice in this post is also extremely helpful, I recommend a full read of his suggestions. At a cost of 100 pounds/month, he enjoys the game and has a ton of wisdom which he shares.

Do you have a advice on how to win entropia @Sulje ? Just curious :)

Do you have a advice on how to win entropia @Sulje ? Just curious :)
Yes. I am always available in game for guidance,feel free to add me in FL and I will walk you trough the game.

Going armatrix is ridiculous. I don't even want to explain why.

Yes. I am always available in game for guidance,feel free to add me in FL and I will walk you trough the game.

Going armatrix is ridiculous. I don't even want to explain why.
I’m good.

Please elaborate. What alternative L guns should OP look at in that level range?

Thanks all for your replies, much appreciated.

Quick update: I bought an Ardora Ballista MK3 (L) (http://planetarkadia.entropiawiki.com/Info.aspx?chart=Weapon&id=2076) for about 105%, an Armatrix Amp (L) for about 120%, and an Improved Ares ring.

Opened 100 boxes (mostly universal ammo) and used 1k ammo to hunt low-maturity Allophyl.

The results weren't the best, I ended up with around 85% return, mark-up on loot was pretty much non-existent.

Does that return seem about normal? $15 for a few hours shooting and some skills isn't terrible, but there must be a way to slightly reduce that cost.

Any recommendations for better mobs to shoot? Or a setup change? That gun is pretty much broken now, Sulje's advice on ArMatrix weapons makes me want to avoid those. I'll stick with (L) for now, but if I can get returns up to 90-95% I'd consider UL.

Quick update: I bought an Ardora Ballista MK3 (L) (http://planetarkadia.entropiawiki.com/Info.aspx?chart=Weapon&id=2076) for about 105%, an Armatrix Amp (L) for about 120%, and an Improved Ares ring.

Opened 100 boxes (mostly universal ammo) and used 1k ammo to hunt low-maturity Allophyl.

The results weren't the best, I ended up with around 85% return, mark-up on loot was pretty much non-existent.

Does that return seem about normal? $15 for a few hours shooting and some skills isn't terrible, but there must be a way to slightly reduce that cost.

Any recommendations for better mobs to shoot? Or a setup change? That gun is pretty much broken now, Sulje's advice on ArMatrix weapons makes me want to avoid those. I'll stick with (L) for now, but if I can get returns up to 90-95% I'd consider UL.
It’s not uncommon on small samples but over time you should get higher returns.

Did you do the math on Armatrix guns in similar range also considering the efficiency and increased dpp? Dpp increase gives you better quality of the loot (more MU) and efficiency higher tt. I didn’t do the math for the lower level armatrix but do so before you decide. UL is the way if you are going to hunt a lot but it will lock some peds

Boxes markup after opening can vary considerably, easy to get less than 40ped in pill mu from 100-200 boxes (and currently the pill market is heavily saturated so you won't get top dollar for any valuable pills right now). Pill prices went up last year partly because there was no summer mayhem. Prices started to go down during Xmas Mayhem, remains to be seen if the demand for the amount of pills from opened boxes exceeds the current supply. The biggest source for MU from boxes other than rings, is amps, with the Mindforce/B-Amp ones easily 800-1100%, and the Laser ones significantly more. I've found I usually get around 1-2 amps per 100 boxes, but sometimes you go cold and get none for a couple hundred. Also if you get a Melee Amp the MU is significantly less. I've read that on average, over a large sample size, the average markup for opening a Seasonal Strongbox is close to 2ped/box, not including seasonal ring drops. I've found this to be close to what I've gotten over a few thousand opened, but it can vary quite a bit with a small sample size, and could be a bit less than that as I haven't kept exact records.

85% return on a small amount of ped turnover is very normal, in fact it can easily go to 70% for small hunts, although rarely lower than that. Over a larger ped turnover, your returns will usually be within your expected return rate (which is roughly 86% plus your efficiency level * 7% plus your looter level * 7%, which is usually in the 90-93% range for newer and returning hunters with looter levels under 20). Also when hunting larger hp mobs, your tt return variance goes up significantly (and Allophyl are a medium-sized mob, costing 2-3.5 ped per kill). They don't drop much regular markup, can drop say a one in a million chance for a shopkeeper pad and maybe one in one hundred thousand chance for a a101 amp. Rare MU like that can never be counted on. And whether it's 1 in 100,000 or 1 in 1,000,000 doesn't matter much, it's really rare and you could do the full codex 10 times and easily not see either.

I highly recommend you do not pay 120% markup for any amps, ever, except during Mayhem events. Most UL laser and blp amps are quite reasonable in price. UL guns for either can be quite high, however. I personally use an UL mindforce chip when hunting, as the cost for them is usually much lower than for a comparable UL laser/blp weapon. Armatrix weapons up to around the -45 are generally under 120% MU and are a decent way to get some hunting action if you don't hunt for 10hrs a day. If you cycle alot of ped then it's much better to buy an UL weapon. UL Melee weapons are also much more affordable than most others, however you will end up with a ton of shrapnel that you can't convert to keep hunting (so on average you will lose around half a percent .5%) when using a melee weapon if you tt the shrapnel unless you use the shrapnel to either sell it or convert it to universal ammo and then use that for mining. Most hunters don't want to use their universal ammo for mining, as the gameplay for those two endeavours is very different in pace, tt return, and knowledge base required. However, an UL melee weapon would mean you no longer are paying any markup to hunt, which imo is better than most other options using L weapons. If any of that sounds confusing, it's because it is. Trying to hunt at a sustainable pace with looter levels lower than 50 is extremely difficult. Generally, when I hunt, I just assume I'm going to lose around 7% of the ped I cycle, minus say .5% for the shrapnel I cycle, and depending on the mob, sometimes 1-2% in markup received (like Maffoids are the best non-Mayhem mob I found for MU on calypso, and I still lost a ton of ped cycling 25 codex ranks on them, around a 5% loss when all was said and done, so almost 2700 ped lost on the full codex.

I suggest you buy an UL Melee or Mindforce weapon, either can be bought for less than 1000ped for a decent amount of dps, and for Melee you can buy an amp later on. For Mindfoce, I recommend hunting unamped unless its a Mayhem event. You can also usually buy a L Mindforce weapon for less than 110% markup and they last, most of them, three times longer than a gun, so you end up paying quite a bit less in MU to hunt. If you are determined to hunt using laser/blp weapons, then I recommend you use the TT weapons/ or the Barbarella until you get a better understanding of what your tt returns will be over a higher amount of monster kills (like hunting exarosaurs with the TT gun), if you kill 5000 of them, you will almost certainly then understand what your tt returns will be, barring any huge multipliers which will skew the results of that small a turnover. Once you understand what TT return you can expect, then paying MU to hunt with Armatrix guns on larger mobs is fine so long as you understand what your expected return is going to be over the long run, and also what the Markup cost is going to be to hunt long-term constantly paying MU for your weapons. You will need a large bankroll if you chooose this route, and will need to dedicate yourself to monthly deposits of at least $100/month. Frankly, hunting at low looter levels requires constant deposits, I've found no way around this, and trust me I've tried. Some people develop the misconception that they can profit easily from hunting with 60 efficiency weapons and looter levels under 30. This is simply not the case. Those that do profit with those levels are almost certainly not hunting on Calypso, where the opportunity for decent markup on small-medium lv monsters (under 1500hp) is not good.

If I went to go hunt Allophyl, I would expect with 60 efficiency and 40 looter level, to get around 93% tt return, plus say half a percent from converting shrapnel at a rate of 50% shrapnel returned in loot. I would expect zero markup from most of the oils and miscellaneous items that they drop, and would not expect a shopkeeper pad or a101 amp. I would hunt them because I wanted to rank up codex and to skill the weapon I was using. I would assume that if I cycled 50000 ped to get to rank 25 codex on them, that I would simply lose 6.5% so for every 10k cycled, 650 ped. So 3250 ped I would expect to lose. That's $325. Now if it takes you 3 months to do that, that's not a bad cost for entertainment. However, if you do that in a week, it will really hurt. Using a 40dps weapon, unamped, you would normally cycle around 300-500 ped/hr depending on mob density. So let's say you can get 100 hrs of entertainment at 500ped cycled/hr, for the cost of $325. That's $3.25/hr, which depending on where you live, is actually a reasonable cost for entertainment. If you aren't having fun doing it, then it's no longer entertainment, it's just called losing.

So the key is, to have fun hunting, while understanding what your expected return should be, and to MINIMIZE HOW MUCH MARKUP YOU SPEND while hunting. Imo, for the new to average hunter, Mayhem is the only time where constant Markup spent on hunting materials is justified (I used Mayhem limited Mindforce amps during the Xmas Mayhem, and used enhancers until their cost went over 300% when I stopped). The other extremely important concept, is to hunt within your budget, or to be willing to accept that you will easily go to zero. As an example, say you start with 1000 ped: you cycle it, and now you're at 935, then you're at 870, then 815, etc... it won't take long before you're at zero. If it takes you a month to finish that cycle, no problem, but if it happens in 3 days, you will most likely be upset. From my observations, Mindark expects most hunters to pay $3.25/hr give or take a few cents, and expects them to hunt for 20-40hrs/month, thereby spending close to $100/month. Personally, I think this is an awful business model which relies on people's perceived conception that they can get lucky (you can't, this isn't a casino). In a casino, you can get lucky. Here, the books are cooked and always will be. It also preys on those who think the game is a form of gambling, and lures them into all kinds of endeavours which just put them deeper in the hole. The main reason why I emphasize to stop paying markup for your hunting, is that if no one pays markup anymore, Mindark will be forced to adjust the expected TT return for the new player and for the monthly depositor, instead of the current system where Joe/Jill average deposits his/her $100/month, then pays $10 of that to one of the elite hunters and the rest to Mindark while hunting. This is a stupid business model and the only reason why it has persisted is because some people mistakenly think this is a gambling game. It's not. It's my hope that new and returning players, and consistent depositors, will start to understand how much it really costs to play the game, so that at least they can understand what the real expected returns are for what they are doing. If you hunt knowing that it will cost you $3.25/hr on average, would you keep doing it? For me, the answer was no, and so I stopped once I understood what the real cost was. If the cost was $1.00/hr, then I would probably do it much more, but it's not, it's much more than that. And yes, I could go use a weapon that has 10dps/hr, and lower the cost that way. That is a reasonable adjustment that many people do, to continue to have hunting activity but to reduce the amount you pay every month.

And to clarify the difference between a casino/gambling and this game, I will give you a simple example: I have 100$. I make a 100$ wager on red on the roulette wheel. I have a 47.4% chance of winning. That means that almost half the time, I double my money. Now, I take that same $100, and go hunt with 1000 ped. From what I've experienced and what I've read in others logs, on avg, most hunts of 1000ped+ aren't TT profitable, around maybe 10-15% are. So I have a 10-15% chance of making more than the original 1000ped back, but almost a 0% chance of doubling it. And even when I do win, the % of my win will usually be less than 10%. So let's say I cycled the 1000 ped, and I'm upset because I only got 825ped back. So I go hunt some Proterons that cost 20ped/kill. 40 Proterons later, 80-90% of the time, I will have lost even more. Whereas if I lose $100 on red, on the next roll, I still have a 47.4% chance of getting my money back. So in reality, Entropia Universe's rate of return is actually much worse than a casino. Casino's would shut down if they only gave 93% back to their customers. This game actually has numerous anti-gambling measures built into its payout structure, the biggest one being that you can't just keep doubling your input cost and hope to "win" your money back in one lucky spin, as most of the time even when you "win" it won't be a doubling of your input (in the proteron example, maybe you kill one of them, and get lucky, and get 50 ped back... but most likely, that doesn't happen, as we all know a 2.5x multiplier in hunting doesn't come every other mob.) Emotionally, it is very common to become upset when doing something with an unpredictable outcome that ends up unfavorably. This is human nature. The only way I've found to overcome this in Entropia is to have the proper expectations of whatever endeavour I am doing, therefore mitigating any surprise factor in the results. If more players thought of hunting as "training" or "fun" instead of "gambling", they would enjoy the game for what it is, a game.

I hope you find your sweet spot, where you are having fun playing the game, and not discouraged by it's cost.

Last edited:
Back